2019-2020 Albany

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you sure there is a complete email? What does yours say?
I submitted (& clicked complete) on 8/6 but never got an email. But my portal does say "Your application is now complete. Please be patient. We will notify you by e-mail of the outcome of the screening process."

Yea, I just checked again! I didn't get a complete email.
 
Hey I’m interviewing on Monday the 16th and getting in on Saturday (flying from Florida and need to avoid that potential storm). Anyone want to get food or drinks Saturday or Sunday?
 
Just wanted to share something to make everyone here feel better about themselves. I had finished writing my secondary questions and everything over a month ago, paid the app fee but FORGOT TO CERTIFY AND SUBMIT MY APP UNTIL YESTERDAY. I got a reminder e-mail from Albany basically saying "wtf" and just hit submit since I already paid for it anyway.

I think I hear Taps playing in the distance.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed here today!

Didn’t get much of a chance to explore the local area, but the campus area itself is pretty nice. Definitely a small city/town vibe overall, but Boston is only a couple hours away, and NYC is a $20-25 Greyhound away if you want to spend a weekend in a bigger city. I’m from a large urban metropolis, but Albany definitely has its charm! If skiing/snowboarding is your thing, there are ample slopes close by in Vermont and whatnot (as an outdoors person, this is really cool!)

Not much to say about the MMI. Pretty standard and similar to my other MMI experience. Very comfortable and conversational (this depends heavily on personality type too, however).

Overall, the community feel really stood out. My group’s tour guide was extremely friendly and easygoing; his enthusiasm really was a highlight, and he was easily the best tour guide I’ve had so far. He talked about how the classes are really close and that they always go out and plan events for everybody often (huge for me). Facilities are on the older side, but having an attached hospital directly adjacent to the school is a huge plus. Student support seems really high too. One of the deans emphasized this, and the student panel reaffirmed how accommodating the student affairs office is (no faculty or administration present for this, and they were very open/honest with us). The dean made a point to emphasize emotional health especially, and the administration is always happy to work with you in regards to sudden circumstances (family death, taking an exam early to go on vacation and cure some homesickness, etc.) I actually really enjoyed my time here, and I definitely came away impressed! Hope this helps some of you future interviewees in any way possible! 🙂

EDIT: Forgot to add the director of admissions was really nice and made a point to be very transparent of their entire process. She took a good amount of questions from us, including questions about waitlist movement and the approximate number of acceptances they extend every year. Last thing: Albany has already received over 10,000 applications this year (!!!).
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info ! Was there a place to store luggage for the day ?
I never asked beforehand, but I just brought mine into the room itself. Nobody seemed to mind, and the admissions director said that it was perfectly fine to do that.

I don’t know of any medical school that will outright refuse to store an applicant’s luggage lol. They understand a lot of us will be flying out the same day.
 
so for the question about experiences- does it have to be one of ur most meaningful on amcas?

I personally didn’t choose any of my MMEs because the link between those and “why I decided to pursue medicine” was a bit far fetched.

I’ve seen schools that explicitly ask for a MME, so in those cases, I’d stick to one of the MMEs. In this case, I think it’d be fine if you just chose an experience you think best answers the question.
 
Did anyone else never get an email about their interview? I found out via portal and I’m scared I’m gonna show up next week and find out it was a mistake lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone who has already interviewed - what time did your day end? My Amtrak train back home is at 4:20. Would I be cutting it close?
 
Hey guys. Would someone be able to forward me the link to the supplemental application/status checker? I seem to have deleted it from my e-mail by accident 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the inconsistency essay, would it be ok if I bring up that I'm a non-native English speaker which is why I've struggled with CARS or will that come off as me making an excuse/not being accountable?
 
Is it okay to send a rec letter after submitting my secondary? One of my writers just finished, but I already hit “complete” in the application.
 
Hi guys, I submitted my CASPer results 2 days ago but my secondary portal is still showing that it's not received. Should I contact them?
 
Hi guys, I submitted my CASPer results 2 days ago but my secondary portal is still showing that it's not received. Should I contact them?
It took 4-5 days for my score to upload. I followed up via email on day 2 and they estimated another 24-48 hrs.
 
For the inconsistency essay, would it be ok if I bring up that I'm a non-native English speaker which is why I've struggled with CARS or will that come off as me making an excuse/not being accountable?

If you're truly a non-native speaker and have a low cars score, they'll put two and two together. No need to bring it up.
 
Does anyone know the interview statistics for this school? I saw on their website they get close to 10,000 applicants but it doesn't say how many interviews they give out?
 
Does anyone know the interview statistics for this school? I saw on their website they get close to 10,000 applicants but it doesn't say how many interviews they give out?
Do you not have MSAR? It's a good investment in general for the app cycle. Anyways 9889 applicanants (1865/8003 is/oos) -> 730 interviewed (193/537)
 
Does anyone know the interview statistics for this school? I saw on their website they get close to 10,000 applicants but it doesn't say how many interviews they give out?

Do you not have MSAR? It's a good investment in general for the app cycle. Anyways 9889 applicanants (1865/8003 is/oos) -> 730 interviewed (193/537)

Could be even more this year too! Interviewed last month and they had already received over 10k apps with plenty of time left until the deadline
 
Could be even more this year too! Interviewed last month and they had already received over 10k apps with plenty of time left until the deadline
Wow!! I am interviewing here in November and I was so excited when I got the email especially based on their application numbers. Congrats on the interview!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have people been getting their IIs through email for this school ? ( I heard Albany has missed sending emails to people in the past & only updated their online portal so I was curious)