You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Cincinnati
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted1010286
.
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming I got an R as well but the portal's asking me to reset my password. Pass
My exact feeling but I still did it haha
Pre-II R as well
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TheNumbersMason
Full Member
Pre II R complete july
Accepted just now!! OOS
D
deleted923293
Has anyone heard more about the waitlist here, like if its gonna be more like last year (0 movement) or like past years (20ish people)? This is my top choice am sad
🙁
The dean said during my interview that last year was a weird transition year because of the implementation of the AAMC's new "Choose Your Medical School" tool. She said she expected the school to take people off the waitlist this year. It's obviously impossible to predict something like this, so take this for what it's worth. Keep your head up. It's not over until it's over.
valkirieas
Full Member
in a similar vein, are merit scholarships only for a small percentage of acceptees or something most acceptees can expect to get?does anyone know when the second release of merit scholarships is?
valkirieas
Full Member
adding one more finance related question to the mix: does cincy have any laptop requirements, just trying to get an idea on a startup budget
Any further information on this? Are the merit scholarships they've already offered all that they will offer, or do they do this in batches? I don't remember being told anything about this during the interview day, but I definitely think it's important for the financial aid timeline.They made calls about merit scholarships last Tuesday, not sure about any other dates that they have notified/will notify others though
valkirieas
Full Member
I was thinking it might be possible they'll just be giving those out with the rest of the financial aid info as scheduled in March at this point but honestly not sure?Any further information on this? Are the merit scholarships they've already offered all that they will offer, or do they do this in batches? I don't remember being told anything about this during the interview day, but I definitely think it's important for the financial aid timeline.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
383517
Full Member
when in march do we get fin aid info?I was thinking it might be possible they'll just be giving those out with the rest of the financial aid info as scheduled in March at this point but honestly not sure?
valkirieas
Full Member
IDK it says on the financial aid site that in March well get estimated offers and in June the final ones.when in march do we get fin aid info?
im on tier 3 so im treating it like a rejectionHas anyone heard more about the waitlist here, like if its gonna be more like last year (0 movement) or like past years (20ish people)? This is my top choice am sad
🙁
Has anyone heard more about the waitlist here, like if its gonna be more like last year (0 movement) or like past years (20ish people)? This is my top choice am sad
🙁
What tier were you assigned though? Since it really depends on that, instead of just looking at the total number of students accepted off the waitlist per year.
Whoa, so we could be the first class to take step 1 pass/fail, unless they make the change fast enough for current MS1's.
United States Medical Licensing Examination | Invitational Conference on USMLE Scoring
The United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) assesses a physician's ability to apply knowledge, concepts, and principles, and to demonstrate fundamental patient-centered skills, that are important in health and disease.
usmle.org
valkirieas
Full Member
Some current MS1s will take it P/F if they're taking it third year. I wonder if this is a sign of curricular changes on the horizon....shorter preclinical years?Whoa, so we could be the first class to take step 1 pass/fail, unless they make the change fast enough for current MS1's.
United States Medical Licensing Examination | Invitational Conference on USMLE Scoring
The United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) assesses a physician's ability to apply knowledge, concepts, and principles, and to demonstrate fundamental patient-centered skills, that are important in health and disease.usmle.org
Genuine question though: will a lack of scoring on STEP 1 reduce Cincinnati's match potential? I know that they are well regarded without STEP 1 (this was my third acceptance and the first my boss (an MD) got happy about), but did that insanely high STEP 1 average carry people further?
Genuine question though: will a lack of scoring on STEP 1 reduce Cincinnati's match potential? I know that they are well regarded without STEP 1 (this was my third acceptance and the first my boss (an MD) got happy about), but did that insanely high STEP 1 average carry people further?
It's hard to say seeing as there is 0 data. Cincinnati is fairly well regarded by residency directors (rank 48 I think?), but the high average step 1 was comparable to that of Yale's and other top tier schools. In that sense, Cinncinati will probably end up being alright, but they probably lose some ground when compared to top 20 schools
valkirieas
Full Member
There's no real way of knowing. Based on my limited understanding, I feel it might hurt a little bit but Cincy still has great research/EC opportunities and can probably pull off higher Step 2 scores if they know we need to focus on it....I think it's still a safe bet and wouldn't give up a seat here just over the news, especially if you really loved the school!Genuine question though: will a lack of scoring on STEP 1 reduce Cincinnati's match potential? I know that they are well regarded without STEP 1 (this was my third acceptance and the first my boss (an MD) got happy about), but did that insanely high STEP 1 average carry people further?
valkirieas
Full Member
I would hope so as well, but curriculum change doesn't seem like it happens that quickly 🙁I hope they can enact a shorter preclinical year curriculum before the new class starts
Even if they could get us done with Step 2 a couple months early it would be better than what I'm imagining is taking it in July/Aug for Sep 15 deadline
I loved Cinci, I just wanted to give myself something to be anxious about. The once-a-week quiz thing seems like a really good retention and pacing idea if nothing else, and the transparent culture was impressive.There's no real way of knowing. Based on my limited understanding, I feel it might hurt a little bit but Cincy still has great research/EC opportunities and can probably pull off higher Step 2 scores if they know we need to focus on it....I think it's still a safe bet and wouldn't give up a seat here just over the news, especially if you really loved the school!
Yeah, like I said, my boss got very excited about it and he hasn't looked at STEP 1 scores in like a decade, not really worried, just thinking this might be the only group of people not already in medicine who are even slightly bummed-out about the news.It's hard to say seeing as there is 0 data. Cincinnati is fairly well regarded by residency directors (rank 48 I think?), but the high average step 1 was comparable to that of Yale's and other top tier schools. In that sense, Cinncinati will probably end up being alright, but they probably lose some ground when compared to top 20 schools
valkirieas
Full Member
I really loved them too, I think w the changes, it will just make it easier to focus on class and in-house stuff, and give us plenty of time to get involved in stuff we really wanna do instead of grinding all of M2 for Step now.I loved Cinci, I just wanted to give myself something to be anxious about. The once-a-week quiz thing seems like a really good retention and pacing idea if nothing else, and the transparent culture was impressive.
I'm slightly worried that quartile ranking will matter more after scores are gone, but my plan was already to do my best and that doesn't change just because of this revelation...!
It just helps to not have split focus between class and Step, probably a couple weeks dedicated is enough to pass, in addition to working hard on class content and weekly tests, etc. If they don't change anything with the schedule and we still have 7 weeks dedicated before M3 starts, I'm planning a nice month long vacation! 😉
tehe123tehe456
Full Member
can i ask what source you're using for the residency director rankings?It's hard to say seeing as there is 0 data. Cincinnati is fairly well regarded by residency directors (rank 48 I think?), but the high average step 1 was comparable to that of Yale's and other top tier schools. In that sense, Cinncinati will probably end up being alright, but they probably lose some ground when compared to top 20 schools
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can i ask what source you're using for the residency director rankings?
valkirieas
Full Member
They might be working on making a response or figuring things out. They're not gonna stand by and do nothing, I believe they want us all the succeed as much as we do. Definitely something to ask at Second Look.I wish they would send out an email stating they are looking into it at least Step 2 scores release is right around when residency apps are due. Not sure how much punching power now the school has without that amazing step score avg. I feel the quartile rankings will make things even more stressful now with everyone trying to stand out
tier 2!What tier were you assigned though? Since it really depends on that, instead of just looking at the total number of students accepted off the waitlist per year.
but also am concerned that Cincinnati doesn't fit the new changes well and won't be able to change fast enough for our class - too long of a preclinical, focus on step, and not enough time for multiple sub-is (networking will be even more important now)
tier 2!
but also am concerned that Cincinnati doesn't fit the new changes well and won't be able to change fast enough for our class - too long of a preclinical, focus on step, and not enough time for multiple sub-is (networking will be even more important now)
Oh sweet! Me too! They said that tier 2s have the best chance so we'll see how that turns out. When I asked, they didn't want to give out specific percentages of As off the waitlist tiers though.
And yeah I agree, Cincy's huge strength is its preclinical prep for step 1. But deciding between cincy and another school comes after getting the actual A. So I just put off stressing over that for now lol.
Also, if you want to do peds or EM, its literally one of the best options in the US.
Edit: I'm including what the adcoms told me via email just in case others may want to see it as well
- Tier 2 is smallest, Tier 3 largest
- Tier 2 has highest chance of getting the eventual A
- Tier 1 hasn't been used in 5 years
- About 10-20 offers are usually made per year, but from a mixture of tiers
Last edited:
Thanks for this! Did they tell you when they usually start pulling from the waitlist?Oh sweet! Me too! They said that tier 2s have the best chance so we'll see how that turns out. When I asked, they didn't want to give out specific percentages of As off the waitlist tiers though.
And yeah I agree, Cincy's huge strength is its preclinical prep for step 1. But deciding between cincy and another school comes after getting the actual A. So I just put off stressing over that for now lol.
Also, if you want to do peds or EM, its literally one of the best options in the US.
Edit: I'm including what the adcoms told me via email just in case others may want to see it as well
- Tier 2 is smallest, Tier 3 largest
- Tier 2 has highest chance of getting the eventual A
- Tier 1 hasn't been used in 5 years
- About 10-20 offers are usually made per year, but from a mixture of tiers
Thanks for this! Did they tell you when they usually start pulling from the waitlist?
Yeah, they'll pull starting from May 1st till whenever classes start in August. So hang in there a bit longer
Don’t think so.Have they sent out the RSVP for second look?
Building on @UnknownObi, there's an optional "MedCat Housing Huddle" after the goodbye on Sat of second look (assuming the schedule doesn't change). Maybe that's what it's for?how do we start figuring out roomates/etc? i wanna live with 1-2 people next year but dont know anyone lmfaoo
Sorry, I am new to SDN and will be applying next year. When did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back for an interview?I got my call at about 12:30 pm est so it might still be today.
valkirieas
Full Member
Not a problem! I submitted AMCAS early June, secondary mid-July and got an interview mid-October, scheduled for Nov 8, and had the decision from the interview Dec 19.Sorry, I am new to SDN and will be applying next year. When did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back for an interview?
Typically, submitting as early as you can is the safest option, and secondaries are recommended to submit within 2 weeks of receipt, if not sooner. Many people will prewrite secondaries and submit them in just a couple of days.
Cincinnati specifically interviews until January, I believe, but other schools can have an interview season which runs a bit later.
Hi guys. I will be applying in 2021. I was just wondering if my stats were okay to apply to UC?
CGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 522
Extracurricular activities: 2 internships, 1 year of research (9 months wet lab, 4 months Human trafficking research), will be doing another year of research during gap year
Clinical Experience: worked in a health clinic as a referral specialist (scheduling patient appointments and served as the Membership Director for the internship program). Almost 80 hours of shadowing. Almost 200 hours of volunteering in pediatric hospital. Almost 100 hours volunteering in local and on campus food pantry.
Served as a students instructor for biology for 1 year
Leadership positions: 3 exec board positions for 3 students organizations and membership director for clinic's intern program.
Little concerned because my last two years of college weren't that great bc I had family issues, so I received a B- in biochemistry and microbe. In the fall semester of my senior year, I took an endocrinology class and got a C+. But my final semester, got all As. But I worked by butt off for the MCAT. Is it okay to have some bumps in the grades? Should I consider a post bac?
CGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 522
Extracurricular activities: 2 internships, 1 year of research (9 months wet lab, 4 months Human trafficking research), will be doing another year of research during gap year
Clinical Experience: worked in a health clinic as a referral specialist (scheduling patient appointments and served as the Membership Director for the internship program). Almost 80 hours of shadowing. Almost 200 hours of volunteering in pediatric hospital. Almost 100 hours volunteering in local and on campus food pantry.
Served as a students instructor for biology for 1 year
Leadership positions: 3 exec board positions for 3 students organizations and membership director for clinic's intern program.
Little concerned because my last two years of college weren't that great bc I had family issues, so I received a B- in biochemistry and microbe. In the fall semester of my senior year, I took an endocrinology class and got a C+. But my final semester, got all As. But I worked by butt off for the MCAT. Is it okay to have some bumps in the grades? Should I consider a post bac?
Thank you! Also, congrats! Best of luck!Not a problem! I submitted AMCAS early June, secondary mid-July and got an interview mid-October, scheduled for Nov 8, and had the decision from the interview Dec 19.
Typically, submitting as early as you can is the safest option, and secondaries are recommended to submit within 2 weeks of receipt, if not sooner. Many people will prewrite secondaries and submit them in just a couple of days.
Cincinnati specifically interviews until January, I believe, but other schools can have an interview season which runs a bit later.
Your GPA is close to their average and your MCAT is above their average. Your ECs are up to par. You'll be fine.Hi guys. I will be applying in 2021. I was just wondering if my stats were okay to apply to UC?
CGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 522
Extracurricular activities: 2 internships, 1 year of research (9 months wet lab, 4 months Human trafficking research), will be doing another year of research during gap year
Clinical Experience: worked in a health clinic as a referral specialist (scheduling patient appointments and served as the Membership Director for the internship program). Almost 80 hours of shadowing. Almost 200 hours of volunteering in pediatric hospital. Almost 100 hours volunteering in local and on campus food pantry.
Served as a students instructor for biology for 1 year
Leadership positions: 3 exec board positions for 3 students organizations and membership director for clinic's intern program.
Little concerned because my last two years of college weren't that great bc I had family issues, so I received a B- in biochemistry and microbe. In the fall semester of my senior year, I took an endocrinology class and got a C+. But my final semester, got all As. But I worked by butt off for the MCAT. Is it okay to have some bumps in the grades? Should I consider a post bac?
Buy the MSAR. Don't do a post bacc.
This is peak SDN haha. Your LizzyM is 76 and you have decent ECs. You're totally good at most places my friend, lolHi guys. I will be applying in 2021. I was just wondering if my stats were okay to apply to UC?
CGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 522
Extracurricular activities: 2 internships, 1 year of research (9 months wet lab, 4 months Human trafficking research), will be doing another year of research during gap year
Clinical Experience: worked in a health clinic as a referral specialist (scheduling patient appointments and served as the Membership Director for the internship program). Almost 80 hours of shadowing. Almost 200 hours of volunteering in pediatric hospital. Almost 100 hours volunteering in local and on campus food pantry.
Served as a students instructor for biology for 1 year
Leadership positions: 3 exec board positions for 3 students organizations and membership director for clinic's intern program.
Little concerned because my last two years of college weren't that great bc I had family issues, so I received a B- in biochemistry and microbe. In the fall semester of my senior year, I took an endocrinology class and got a C+. But my final semester, got all As. But I worked by butt off for the MCAT. Is it okay to have some bumps in the grades? Should I consider a post bac?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tier 3 here!!
How many people are in Tier 2, 3, & 4? And how many people do they usually take from each tier? Do they take all tier 2 before moving onto tier 3?
How many people are in Tier 2, 3, & 4? And how many people do they usually take from each tier? Do they take all tier 2 before moving onto tier 3?
decafsfortheweak
Full Member
Does anyone who’s been to Second Look/is going this year have any input on whether the dress code is the more formal or casual end of “business casual”? Silly question I know but vague dress codes stress me out 😳
Does anyone know if second look will be affected by coronovirus?
I emailed the admissions office and have heard no response.
a lot of schools are starting to just close down completely, including my own workplace and I haven’t booked tickets to second look yet so idk if I should.
I emailed the admissions office and have heard no response.
a lot of schools are starting to just close down completely, including my own workplace and I haven’t booked tickets to second look yet so idk if I should.