2019-2020 Colorado

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the MSTP chalk talks at interview day are we allowed slides or does it literally have to be on a whiteboard? Can someone who has interviewed weigh in? Thanks!
Literally a whiteboard. 4 minutes for talk, 1 minute for questions. Only three members of the admissions committee are in the room. Very laid back.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am new to this thread but hoping to get some insight on CU. I just got offered an interview at CU SOM for February and trying to figure out if it is worth going or not. I have been accepted to other schools that are significantly cheaper than CU. But....CU is probably one of the more competitive schools I've been offered an interview at. I also think it'd be super cool to live in Denver during medical school.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's worth paying MORE THAN DOUBLE for tuition, and if I even having a chance getting in at this point. My MCAT is a 507 and I'm aware I'm on the lower end of their matriculates. I also know they have a heavy in state preference

I think it really depends on what you want to get out of your medical school experience. I’m also OOS, but CU unexpectedly caught my attention on interview day. The immediate patient population IS underserved, and the school and hospital have a clear and commitment to providing excellent healthcare. They walk the talk on this. There’s lots of opportunities for research in many different fields (read: NIH funding). There’s a level 1 trauma center and a NCI designated comprehensive cancer center. The students I met seemed happy, facilities were nice with lots of study space, Denver wasn’t SF/LA but still fun.
It’s important to consider that they’re modifying the curriculum next year to a model that I personally like better, but it’s unclear how this will affect board scores. And of course everyone always talks about COA. Overall, I think CUSOM is underrated and is a really promising school.
 
Congrats!! Interviewed around the same time as above. Hope that doesn’t mean bad news ahead
 
A friend just got her acceptance call yesterday (we both interviewed 1/24)...do they do the calls all in one day?

Edit: scratch that, two people I know that interviewed the same day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How's the social the night before the interview. Is there food or just some snacks?

Fun, would definitely recommend going if you can. There are appetizers provided. It was at a hotel reception area adjacent to a bar so you can get a beer/cocktail (on your own dime) if you want too
 
Fun, would definitely recommend going if you can. There are appetizers provided. It was at a hotel reception area adjacent to a bar so you can get a beer/cocktail (on your own dime) if you want too

+10000000 This is a super nice calm event where you just get to talk with students and other interviewees. I thought it really helped emphasize that its not a cutthroat/competitive environment and helped sell the school for me. You just get to be normal in casual clothes with the other interviewers and then you see the same people again the next day with some ice already broken.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oos, pre-II R, complete 7/27/19. 2R’s at 2 of my top pick schools and the flu in one week. I’m starting to think that I’m unlucky.
 
Does anyone know when they will be meeting again to make a decision? It seems like around every 3 wks.
 
I haven't heard back about anything yet but I emailed them earlier this week and they said they're "progressing with their offer selection deliberations" so it sounds like some offers have likely already gone out

I really don’t think so. I interviewed last week and they said they would make selections Thursday but it might take a number of the days for the MD side to give them the go-ahead. I suspect Tuesday or Wednesday is when we’ll hear.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really don’t think so. I interviewed last week and they said they would make selections Thursday but it might take a number of the days for the MD side to give them the go-ahead. I suspect Tuesday or Wednesday is when we’ll hear.

That's encouraging, though I think they have already given offers to some of the earlier interviewees. I was told "more" offers were expected to be made ahead of the second look date, which is the 1st week of March.