2019-2020 Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you guys think the chances are that Colorado's Second Look will get canceled?
Probably a decent chance, given that CO's Governor just declared a state of emergency and that most medical schools are cancelling their Second Look Weekends.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a decent chance, given that CO's Governor just declared a state of emergency and that most medical schools are cancelling their Second Look Weekends.
Ugh, that makes me so sad. I was really counting on second looks to help me make a decision, and 1/4 have already canceled. I especially hope I get to go back to Colorado because I was so sick and out of it during my interview... I don't even remember the tour. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for advice from all OOS applicants who got a S, II and A. I love CUSOM but I have heard it's notorious for favoring in state applicants. I am applying next cycle and would say I have really good ECs (length and hour wise) and a good PS, however I have a 3.5 gpa (death of family member during undergrad caused grade drop). I am studying for the MCAT now so I don't have that score. I am really worried that I am going to get "filtered out" because of my GPA. Anyone have any advice or tips on how they stood out to CUSOM to get an OOS interview?

Don’t worry about your GPA. I’m OOS and my stats are in the bottom quartile. I honestly think CU is one of those schools that really does look at applicants holistically. They’re looking for a diverse cohort with diverse life experiences.
edit: formatting

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, I noticed that the students' coats did not have their names or the school logo/name at the white coat ceremony for the past two years. The PA students at CUSOM did have it at their own white coat ceremony. I haven't looked up all schools, but most I have seen at least have the school logo/name, and a pin/badge of the students' name. Any thoughts?

Just curious, I noticed that the students' coats did not have their names or the school logo/name at the white coat ceremony for the past two years. The PA students at CUSOM did have it at their own white coat ceremony. I haven't looked up all schools, but most I have seen at least have the school logo/name, and a pin/badge of the students' name. Any thoughts?

CUSOM just ahead of the curve and getting ready for the switch from the white coat to the Patagonia fleeces

Reactions: 4 users
If COVID19 drags on... Do y’all think they would delay our start date or would we just be fully online? Thoughts?

Don’t anticipate it being delayed, but large events MAY be. I don’t think tjose will either tho

Hi again,
1. We're really sorry about the cancellation of Second Look Day. We're just as bummed as you all are that we won't get to see you again and give you a chance to experience the school/campus. But with the state of things, our admissions team felt that it is in the best interest of everyone to cancel Second Look Day. The best place for questions is on the Facebook page. Feel free to post or message/email any of the admins directly. We have been forwarding feedback to the admissions office and will continue to respond as best as we can.
2. I saw a question about white coats. We do have our name and school logo embroidered on our white coats, but unfortunately not for white coat ceremony. You will be sized for your white coat on the first day of orientation and I don't think there's enough time to embroider them all by the end of the week. If it helps, you do get a pizza party when you pick up your white coats.
3. In regards to financial aid/scholarship info, the word from Deedee in the financial aid office is that financial aid and scholarships are still set to go out mid-April. She wanted me to communicate that you should check your UCD Access Portal's Student Center 'To Do List' to ensure it says "FAFSA received" and nothing else is listed to resolve regarding financial aid.
4. There are no plans that we have heard of to delay your start date. However, Anschutz campus did just cancel all large gatherings which included spring graduation ceremonies for all professional schools on campus. Our admissions office will continue to monitor the COVID situation and update you accordingly, but for now plan on everything starting on time!
If you have more questions, the fb page or email would be the best place to direct those, but I will try to check here periodically as well and answer any other questions that pop up. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
when do students usually hear about waitlists or their position on the waitlist? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been super present on this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but what's the word on letters of intent from those on the alternate list? Also, do we have a realistic idea of the number of seats offered off the waitlist for each cycle?

I haven't been super present on this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but what's the word on letters of intent from those on the alternate list? Also, do we have a realistic idea of the number of seats offered off the waitlist for each cycle?

According to their website, they don’t take application updates unfortunately :/

Just got the emails for my scholarship results, unfortunately was not selected for any scholarships.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the email for scholarships and I didn’t get selected for any. I’m very surprised, as I spent hours doing the application. Does anyone know how selection for that works out cost of attendance is already so high

• Sad
Just got the email for scholarships and I didn’t get selected for any. I’m very surprised, as I spent hours doing the application. Does anyone know how selection for that works out cost of attendance is already so high
Yeah as someone from out of state and no strong ties to the school, i’m not shocked but this school genuinely is extremely expensive and any help would help. I really hope to get some need-based aid but they’re usually very small like 5k so I’m not preparing for much.

Yeah as someone from out of state and no strong ties to the school, i’m not shocked but this school genuinely is extremely expensive and any help would help. I really hope to get some need-based aid but they’re usually very small like 5k so I’m not preparing for much.
Yeah I’m out of state as well and I’m assuming I’ll get the need based but from the presentation they said that’s like 5-6k so I was really relying on scholarships. Like what is 5k gonna do for their 95k estimate for out of state lol

OOS and was denied any scholarship award after working weeks on that app.... :(

• Sad
I wonder why they are sending emails at 11pm on a Saturday..

Also OOS, didn't receive any scholarships and same, spent tons of time on the app. Seems there's not a lot of love for us out-of-staters lol. Would love to come here and I was hoping a scholarship would make it an easy decision but with this tuition man...

Also OOS, didn't receive any scholarships and same, spent tons of time on the app. Seems there's not a lot of love for us out-of-staters lol. Would love to come here and I was hoping a scholarship would make it an easy decision but with this tuition man...
I'm in the same boat. Colorado is by far my top choice, but I don't think I can justify an extra $160k in debt compared to my other options. Really makes me sad. :(

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody know when we should expect to hear back regarding the need-based aid? I remember hearing mid-April but I wasn't sure whether that was only for the scholarships that required applications.

Anybody know when we should expect to hear back regarding the need-based aid? I remember hearing mid-April but I wasn't sure whether that was only for the scholarships that required applications.
If I recall correctly, we are automatically considered for need-based aid, the scholarships were separate and required an application.

During the virtual Second Look Day last week, their answer was that aid packages would be released "sometime in the next few weeks"... Hopefully this is a case of under-promising and over-delivering, but based on last year's thread, I'm not feeling very optimistic about it.

During the virtual Second Look Day last week, their answer was that aid packages would be released "sometime in the next few weeks"... Hopefully this is a case of under-promising and over-delivering, but based on last year's thread, I'm not feeling very optimistic about it.
Yeah, then Lamar said it could likely be coming this week right after they said coming weeks.

FYI, just got my financial aid package.

Reactions: 3 users
Also this financial aid package is rough for OOS all I got was just some need-based and the rest are loans

Also this financial aid package is rough for OOS all I got was just some need-based and the rest are loans

IS here, but same. While I have less to complain about with IS tuition, I was hoping my broke-as-a-joke family status would get me more. Loans for life I guess:(

IS here, but same. While I have less to complain about with IS tuition, I was hoping my broke-as-a-joke family status would get me more. Loans for life I guess:(
I’m also just frustrated they made us do a long application for scholarships only to not offer anything for a lot of OS students.

I’m also just frustrated they made us do a long application for scholarships only to not offer anything for a lot of OS students.
Still haven't gotten any financial aid package in any email. Did you happen to fill it out towards the deadline? I applied like April 3 or something, but that's because I got accepted a few days before that.

Still haven't gotten any financial aid package in any email. Did you happen to fill it out towards the deadline? I applied like April 3 or something, but that's because I got accepted a few days before that.
Yeah I filled it out before but try to go on the portal and click on the financial aid tab you'll see if it's posted or not

Same. Love Colorado, but it's officially $145,000 more expensive than my state school. Tough to justify. :confused:

Same. Love Colorado, but it's officially $145,000 more expensive than my state school. Tough to justify. :confused:
Yeah definitely not worth it. This is by far my top choice but I would really like to avoid taking over 300k out for loans. I am still waiting on two state schools that i'm waitlisted to so I guess we'll go from here.

Yeah definitely not worth it. This is by far my top choice but I would really like to avoid taking over 300k out for loans. I am still waiting on two state schools that i'm waitlisted to so I guess we'll go from here.
Yeah, <300k is my goal too, including the 60k I've already borrowed. Colorado would put me at over 400k in total debt, which is INSANE.

Good luck on your state schools! Hopefully one of them comes through.

Withdrew yesterday. Colorado was awesome, but just couldn't handle the cost (all loans)

Withdrawn. Hope one of you wonderful people gets my spot!

I'm curious. Do applicants not consider the cost of attendance before applying, interviewing, and receiving an acceptance? What about considering those who would love to attend CU, regardless of its high tuition, but did not even get the chance to interview because it was given to someone who would evidently withdraw? You're probably thinking, "Well, that is why medical schools interview more applicants and hold an alternate list". But that "alternate" list could be part of the first round of accepted students not wasted on applicants who withdrew because it's too expensive. School tuition is public information. I've been accepted at CU, so this is not me posting out of anger but to simply understand the logic behind it. Anybody?

I'm curious. Do applicants not consider the cost of attendance before applying, interviewing, and receiving an acceptance? What about considering those who would love to attend CU, regardless of its high tuition, but did not even get the chance to interview because it was given to someone who would evidently withdraw? You're probably thinking, "Well, that is why medical schools interview more applicants and hold an alternate list". But that "alternate" list could be part of the first round of accepted students not wasted on applicants who withdrew because it's too expensive. School tuition is public information. I've been accepted at CU, so this is not me posting out of anger but to simply understand the logic behind it. Anybody?
I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I'd be surprised if many applicants anticipate paying the full COA--at any school--with only loans. Unfortunately, you have no idea what kind of gift aid (need-based, scholarships) you'll receive until you apply, interview, and are accepted. In my case, Colorado is my top choice... but when they offer me $6k a year in gift aid and another school offers me $30k a year, it makes it hard to pick Colorado. I love the school, but I (and I imagine most other students) are not so financially well off that cost isn't a part of the decision making process.

I think a lot of people who apply to schools pick schools that fall in their range, which they like from a glance and/or could see themselves at...It's often really hard to gauge how competitive you are as an applicant so while a student might've loved CU, they could've gotten into another school with a better package? Or even if there is no aid at the other school, they could've liked it more of felt that the high tuition wasn't worth it to them based on their present options.

Also, this process is so unpredictable, it's hard to predict who will give you an interview and an A, so you do have to apply broadly while asking if you can see yourself there. Then if you get multiple A's, you gotta seriously consider the tangibles: COA, educational quality, program/location, your happiness, etc...and at the end of the day people are gonna base their options on what they know so while someone might've liked a school, a high COA is enough of a reason for them to choose a lower COA acceptance, as long as they're still happy and can see themselves there

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I'd be surprised if many applicants anticipate paying the full COA--at any school--with only loans. Unfortunately, you have no idea what kind of gift aid (need-based, scholarships) you'll receive until you apply, interview, and are accepted. In my case, Colorado is my top choice... but when they offer me $6k a year in gift aid and another school offers me $30k a year, it makes it hard to pick Colorado. I love the school, but I (and I imagine most other students) are not so financially well off that cost isn't a part of the decision making process.
Thank you!

I think a lot of people who apply to schools pick schools that fall in their range, which they like from a glance and/or could see themselves at...It's often really hard to gauge how competitive you are as an applicant so while a student might've loved CU, they could've gotten into another school with a better package? Or even if there is no aid at the other school, they could've liked it more of felt that the high tuition wasn't worth it to them based on their present options.

Also, this process is so unpredictable, it's hard to predict who will give you an interview and an A, so you do have to apply broadly while asking if you can see yourself there. Then if you get multiple A's, you gotta seriously consider the tangibles: COA, educational quality, program/location, your happiness, etc...and at the end of the day people are gonna base their options on what they know so while someone might've liked a school, a high COA is enough of a reason for them to choose a lower COA acceptance, as long as they're still happy and can see themselves there
Thank you!

As mentioned above, the application cycle is a total crapshoot for most people. Most only have one or two state schools where the tuition is much cheaper, and getting into any one school is statistically unlikely, so we apply to a bunch of other private schools, most of which cost $50-60k in tuition. On top of the private schools, some throw in a few out-of-state-friendly state schools, which are usually really expensive for out of staters. In my case, I didn't have a state school, so I could choose between a private school far from home at $60k/year or Colorado, closer to home, in a cool, outdoorsy location, but about $65k/year. The extra $20k over the course of medical school is a lot of money, but it is comparatively not a lot of money. Especially if you think that it's worth it to live closer to family and in a place that you're more comfortable/happy to live.

Have been on the alternative list for a bit. Is there any update on waitlist ranking or whatever?

Have been on the alternative list for a bit. Is there any update on waitlist ranking or whatever?

According to last year’s thread, they tend to send out waitlist rankings around this time! So it could happen any day now

Reactions: 2 users