2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing here on Tuesday! Really excited to hopefully meet some of you :)
Congrats! Make sure to post about your experience! I’m interviewing on Friday :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just interviewed!

Great school. Students were friendly and the faculty made a concerted effort to make us comfortable during the one-on-one interview. Student interviewer was predictably conversational and chill. The only weird thing was that the tour was confined to Ross Hall. To be fair, most of the education is localized in that one building. Didn’t get to see the hospital or the student lounge (under construction). We got to leave right after our interviews (Split into two groups, I was done ~1:30pm), so I would have loved a longer tour of the facilities. Otherwise, the day was great!

Biggest takeaway is the huge wealth of opportunities available to students here. If you’re into research, GW has facilities, the VA is close, and my faculty interviewer made a point to mention he personally helps students get research opportunities in Bethesda and at the NIH (!!!). If you’re into service, there’s tons of homeless shelters, middle/high school outreach programs, and a student-run clinic. This isn’t even touching on the obvious health policy opportunities. Apparently lawmakers and lobbyists consult GW faculty and students on certain topics, and their recommendations are often included in policy decision making (so freaking cool!).

DC is expensive, but Foggy Bottom and the area in general is really nice. Could easily see myself living here. The Metro System makes it incredibly easy to commute from Arlington or other parts of the area.

Overall, I loved this school. Aside from the high cost (and high cost of living), GW is definitely one of my top schools. All the faculty repeatedly emphasized their commitment to student wellness and student/faculty mentoring programs they have to help us transition.

Reactions: 20 users
Just interviewed!

Great school. Students were friendly and the faculty made a concerted effort to make us comfortable during the one-on-one interview. Student interviewer was predictably conversational and chill. The only weird thing was that the tour was confined to Ross Hall. To be fair, most of the education is localized in that one building. Didn’t get to see the hospital or the student lounge (under construction). We got to leave right after our interviews (Split into two groups, I was done ~1:30pm), so I would have loved a longer tour of the facilities. Otherwise, the day was great!

Biggest takeaway is the huge wealth of opportunities available to students here. If you’re into research, GW has facilities, the VA is close, and my faculty interviewer made a point to mention he personally helps students get research opportunities in Bethesda and at the NIH (!!!). If you’re into service, there’s tons of homeless shelters, middle/high school outreach programs, and a student-run clinic. This isn’t even touching on the obvious health policy opportunities. Apparently lawmakers and lobbyists consult GW faculty and students on certain topics, and their recommendations are often included in policy decision making (so freaking cool!).

DC is expensive, but Foggy Bottom and the area in general is really nice. Could easily see myself living here. The Metro System makes it incredibly easy to commute from Arlington or other parts of the area.

Overall, I loved this school. Aside from the high cost (and high cost of living), GW is definitely one of my top schools. All the faculty repeatedly emphasized their commitment to student wellness and student/faculty mentoring programs they have to help us transition.
Perfect, thorough review. Thanks SeaHusky!

Reactions: 2 users
Perfect, thorough review. Thanks SeaHusky!
Good luck! Probably will be one of your more laid back interviews. Even the guy who had the fortune (misfortune? jk) of being assigned the Dean or Admissions for his faculty interview said it was chill.

Reactions: 1 user
Just interviewed!

Were there 2 separate interviews (one with a student and one faculty)?

Were there 2 separate interviews (one with a student and one faculty)?

Like @kkweens said, two separate interviews. My faculty interview actually ran a little longer, since both he and I were done afterwards. Was able to really express everything I felt I wanted to say, and he was really insistent (in a good way) that I should say everything I want to say so that I don’t regret not talking about a topic later. In terms of faculty interviews, this was by far the best I’ve had. Very conversational, and he was very genuine about hearing who I was as a person while still integrating your standard questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Like @kkweens said, two separate interviews. My faculty interview actually ran a little longer, since both he and I were done afterwards. Was able to really express everything I felt I wanted to say, and he was really insistent (in a good way) that I should say everything I want to say so that I don’t regret not talking about a topic later. In terms of faculty interviews, this was by far the best I’ve had. Very conversational, and he was very genuine about hearing who I was as a person while still integrating your standard questions.

Wow that's really good to hear! I'm interviewing here in October. Would you have any tips on how I could prepare (i.e. do they have a focus for certain topics)?

Wow that's really good to hear! I'm interviewing here in October. Would you have any tips on how I could prepare (i.e. do they have a focus for certain topics)?
I’m gonna be honest, my preparation consisted of exploring DC and drinking at some local pubs the night before lol.

But to answer your question, I would practice the more common interview questions. I pretty much only used the SDN GW Interview feedback page as my resource. However, the disclaimer is that I’ve had interviews prior to this, so I had already had my answers on lockdown and didn’t stress much. If this is your first interview, I would definitely practice in front of a mirror (I did this initially). None of the answers really tripped me at all, and I didn’t have any “trick” questions.

I got the sense that GW really wants to get to know you as a person, and for good reason: They receive some of the most applications in the nation. Just be yourself, smile, and be able to enunciate why you want to be a physician and why GW. You’ve already passed probably the biggest hurdle: Getting a freaking interview over 10,000+ people. You look good on paper, and they want to get to know you in person. Relax, sip on a beer the night before, and crush the day. Good luck! :)

Did anybody else waiting for an II just die a little inside after getting that maintenance email? Lmfao

• Haha
Reactions: 44 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody else waiting for an II just die a little inside after getting that maintenance email? Lmfao

Did anybody else immediately check SDN to see what other people’s reaction would be?

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Guess it’s time for GW to post up after that heart attack of an email ;)

GW with that email...
64020F08-680F-45D6-8FC8-3CA441D56DDB.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Maybe we’ll see a lot more interview invites that day? We can only hope lol

Just interviewed!

I am so happy that you loved your interview day this is incredible feedback and so helpful for other applicants. But don’t you DARE complement the dc metro system lol. As a Washingtonian I’m going to stop you right there Lololol it’s about as unreliable as it gets.

Reactions: 3 users
I am so happy that you loved your interview day this is incredible feedback and so helpful for other applicants. But don’t you DARE complement the dc metro system lol. As a Washingtonian I’m going to stop you right there Lololol it’s about as unreliable as it gets.
I’m from the West Coast. The mere existence of public transportation is worthy of a compliment.

Reactions: 7 users
I’m from the West Coast. The mere existence of public transportation is worthy of a compliment.
Talk about a low bar LOL. But yes it exists and usually is good. But the Metro gods know when you are in a rush....

Fellow Washingtonian as well. Somebody had to say it haha.

Also, if anyone interviewing here wants to get a drink if they have free time, I'm always down for that

On hold — verified end of July. Low-stat applicant so idk what this means :nailbiting:

Maybe they changed everyone’s status to on-hold after their recent maintenance period?

On hold — verified end of July. Low-stat applicant so idk what this means :nailbiting:

Maybe they changed everyone’s status to on-hold after their recent maintenance period?
Probably not. I checked earlier today and my status said complete. I didn't even see under review status until i got the on hold portal change.

Not sure what the mystery is here. They review your application. They either offer you an interview, hold you for possible reconsideration later, or reject you outright. GW lets applicants know they are on hold. Others don’t share with you a status change but basically make the same three choices for your application.

Is hold the same thing as re-review? Or are they different altogether

Interviewing here in 2 weeks but had a question for any current students/earlier interviewees, because it is closed file do they ask for your resume? Trying to decide whether it is worth it to revamp it even more or leave as is if they are not asked for.
I was not asked for a resume, nor do I think any of the other people in my group were.

I was not asked for a resume, nor do I think any of the other people in my group were.
+1. I don’t know of any medical school that will ask for your resume. Closed file interviews are just one piece of the puzzle; there will be adcom members who are familiar with your file who will advocate for you during their meetings in addition to those who interviewed you.

Just interviewed. Absolutly love this school. Extremly chill interview and everyone was extremly nice. I love the D.C. area too.

Reactions: 10 users
Just interviewed. Absolutly love this school. Extremly chill interview and everyone was extremly nice. I love the D.C. area too.
D.C. area really appeals to me, too. Feels like a great place to live for a few years if you're in your early-mid twenties. Expensive, but anyone that has lived near a major urban center should already be used to it lol.

Just finished up my interview day. It was a great experience! The entire atmosphere at GW is relaxed and they make a concerted effort to fight the inevitable stress of medical training. The interviews were particularly chill, and they made it very clear that they were just trying to get to know us. Definitely don't stress about them! I think they match you up with faculty and student interviewers that you have things in common with, cause my interviewers had so many similarities that it seemed to be more than coincidence. All around great experience!

The proximity to the university hospital is phenomenal, it's literally like 30 yards away. D.C. seems like a great city, as far as large cities go. Much cleaner than similar cities I've been to. I'd be stoked to live here.

Like mentioned above, I would have liked a more in-depth tour of the campus, it was a little brief. I was out of there by 1:15PM despite the email saying it would go until 3. I'm not complaining about getting out early, but I'd have loved to see more. I hope I get in!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
D.C. area really appeals to me, too. Feels like a great place to live for a few years if you're in your early-mid twenties. Expensive, but anyone that has lived near a major urban center should already be used to it lol.
As someone currently living in the heart of DC, I can confidently say it's an outstanding place to be for 25+ year olds. Extremely young population, lots to do, and a diverse (but rather average) culinary scene

As someone currently living in the heart of DC, I can confidently say it's an outstanding place to be for 25+ year olds. Extremely young population, lots to do, and a diverse (but rather average) culinary scene
This is what stood out to me. The bar scene is phenomenal, tons of cultural and entertainment possibilities, and a boatload of young professionals. The more I think about it, the giddier I get. The school is wonderful, of course, but the prospect of living in D.C. probably pushes GW to the top of my list. I would be incredibly honored and happy to be a student there.

Hold is the same as Waitlist.
A hold is actually different than being waitlisted. As people have said before, a "hold" basically just means they've looked over your application but didn't decide if they want to give you an interview or not yet, so they are going to look at other applicants and then get back to you. It's definitely not a rejection, so don't give up! Several of my friends who are now MS1s didn't get interviews until Spring. I believe that re-review can come after a hold when they are actively looking back over your application.

In terms of waitlisting, GW uses the "alternate pool" system. It's essentially a waitlist, but it isn't ranked. Post-interview you can either be accepted, rejected, or placed in the alternate pool. The alternate pool isn't a bad place to be and a fair portion of the class ends up coming from the alternate pool.

Reactions: 5 users