Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Interviewing here in 2 weeks but had a question for any current students/earlier interviewees, because it is closed file do they ask for your resume? Trying to decide whether it is worth it to revamp it even more or leave as is if they are not asked for.
good question - didn't even think of bringing in my resume :/

Reactions: DocFactor

premed athlete

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
good question - didn't even think of bringing in my resume :/
I definitely think the point of closed file interviews is so they can't see info about you and thus are less biased when speaking to you, so I doubt you need it! also interviewed somewhere else that was closed file and you definitely didn't need it. Just my experience though!

Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I definitely think the point of closed file interviews is so they can't see info about you and thus are less biased when speaking to you, so I doubt you need it! also interviewed somewhere else that was closed file and you definitely didn't need it. Just my experience though!
Do not bring your resume. They really want this to be a BLIND interview. So ... I guess depending on who your interviewers are, you may have a very chill day! Just ended mine and, seriously, I was impressed at how comfortable they made me feel. Loved it.

Dec 17, 2018
Do not bring your resume. They really want this to be a BLIND interview. So ... I guess depending on who your interviewers are, you may have a very chill day! Just ended mine and, seriously, I was impressed at how comfortable they made me feel. Loved it.
As a rule of thumb NEVER bring a resume to a medical school interview lol.

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm interviewing here this upcoming Friday, hope to see some of you there! I'm pretty stoked for this interview! Love the school and their focus.

Quick question. So I'm staying at an AirBnb the night before and then quickly making my way to the airport after the interview. I'm only going to be bringing a backpack as luggage, but I don't know if I'll have time to go all the way back to my Airbnb before heading to the airport. Do you think it is common for people to bring luggage/backpacks to the interview and is there a possibility of storing it in an office somewhere during the interview?

Also, does anyone know a rough percentage of acceptances post-interview?

Reactions: hd93000
Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm interviewing here this upcoming Friday, hope to see some of you there! I'm pretty stoked for this interview! Love the school and their focus.

Quick question. So I'm staying at an AirBnb the night before and then quickly making my way to the airport after the interview. I'm only going to be bringing a backpack as luggage, but I don't know if I'll have time to go all the way back to my Airbnb before heading to the airport. Do you think it is common for people to bring luggage/backpacks to the interview and is there a possibility of storing it in an office somewhere during the interview?

Also, does anyone know a rough percentage of acceptances post-interview?
you can definitely bring it. they will let you leave all your bags in a room throughout the day.

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
does this school send complete emails or is it just your status on the portal? also, is there a max letters?
I did not receive a confirmation email (just checked). The only correspondence I got after submitting the secondary was when I was invited to interview.

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Interviewing here on Tuesday! Really excited to hopefully meet some of you :)

Reactions: BeingForItself
Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Interviewing here on Tuesday! Really excited to hopefully meet some of you :)
Congrats! Make sure to post about your experience! I’m interviewing on Friday :).

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just interviewed!

Great school. Students were friendly and the faculty made a concerted effort to make us comfortable during the one-on-one interview. Student interviewer was predictably conversational and chill. The only weird thing was that the tour was confined to Ross Hall. To be fair, most of the education is localized in that one building. Didn’t get to see the hospital or the student lounge (under construction). We got to leave right after our interviews (Split into two groups, I was done ~1:30pm), so I would have loved a longer tour of the facilities. Otherwise, the day was great!

Biggest takeaway is the huge wealth of opportunities available to students here. If you’re into research, GW has facilities, the VA is close, and my faculty interviewer made a point to mention he personally helps students get research opportunities in Bethesda and at the NIH (!!!). If you’re into service, there’s tons of homeless shelters, middle/high school outreach programs, and a student-run clinic. This isn’t even touching on the obvious health policy opportunities. Apparently lawmakers and lobbyists consult GW faculty and students on certain topics, and their recommendations are often included in policy decision making (so freaking cool!).

DC is expensive, but Foggy Bottom and the area in general is really nice. Could easily see myself living here. The Metro System makes it incredibly easy to commute from Arlington or other parts of the area.

Overall, I loved this school. Aside from the high cost (and high cost of living), GW is definitely one of my top schools. All the faculty repeatedly emphasized their commitment to student wellness and student/faculty mentoring programs they have to help us transition.

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just interviewed!

Great school. Students were friendly and the faculty made a concerted effort to make us comfortable during the one-on-one interview. Student interviewer was predictably conversational and chill. The only weird thing was that the tour was confined to Ross Hall. To be fair, most of the education is localized in that one building. Didn’t get to see the hospital or the student lounge (under construction). We got to leave right after our interviews (Split into two groups, I was done ~1:30pm), so I would have loved a longer tour of the facilities. Otherwise, the day was great!

Biggest takeaway is the huge wealth of opportunities available to students here. If you’re into research, GW has facilities, the VA is close, and my faculty interviewer made a point to mention he personally helps students get research opportunities in Bethesda and at the NIH (!!!). If you’re into service, there’s tons of homeless shelters, middle/high school outreach programs, and a student-run clinic. This isn’t even touching on the obvious health policy opportunities. Apparently lawmakers and lobbyists consult GW faculty and students on certain topics, and their recommendations are often included in policy decision making (so freaking cool!).

DC is expensive, but Foggy Bottom and the area in general is really nice. Could easily see myself living here. The Metro System makes it incredibly easy to commute from Arlington or other parts of the area.

Overall, I loved this school. Aside from the high cost (and high cost of living), GW is definitely one of my top schools. All the faculty repeatedly emphasized their commitment to student wellness and student/faculty mentoring programs they have to help us transition.
Perfect, thorough review. Thanks SeaHusky!

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Perfect, thorough review. Thanks SeaHusky!
Good luck! Probably will be one of your more laid back interviews. Even the guy who had the fortune (misfortune? jk) of being assigned the Dean or Admissions for his faculty interview said it was chill.

Reactions: AdductorMagnus
Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just interviewed!

Were there 2 separate interviews (one with a student and one faculty)?

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Were there 2 separate interviews (one with a student and one faculty)?
Like @kkweens said, two separate interviews. My faculty interview actually ran a little longer, since both he and I were done afterwards. Was able to really express everything I felt I wanted to say, and he was really insistent (in a good way) that I should say everything I want to say so that I don’t regret not talking about a topic later. In terms of faculty interviews, this was by far the best I’ve had. Very conversational, and he was very genuine about hearing who I was as a person while still integrating your standard questions.

Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Like @kkweens said, two separate interviews. My faculty interview actually ran a little longer, since both he and I were done afterwards. Was able to really express everything I felt I wanted to say, and he was really insistent (in a good way) that I should say everything I want to say so that I don’t regret not talking about a topic later. In terms of faculty interviews, this was by far the best I’ve had. Very conversational, and he was very genuine about hearing who I was as a person while still integrating your standard questions.
Wow that's really good to hear! I'm interviewing here in October. Would you have any tips on how I could prepare (i.e. do they have a focus for certain topics)?

Reactions: NatGeoLover
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow that's really good to hear! I'm interviewing here in October. Would you have any tips on how I could prepare (i.e. do they have a focus for certain topics)?
I’m gonna be honest, my preparation consisted of exploring DC and drinking at some local pubs the night before lol.

But to answer your question, I would practice the more common interview questions. I pretty much only used the SDN GW Interview feedback page as my resource. However, the disclaimer is that I’ve had interviews prior to this, so I had already had my answers on lockdown and didn’t stress much. If this is your first interview, I would definitely practice in front of a mirror (I did this initially). None of the answers really tripped me at all, and I didn’t have any “trick” questions.

I got the sense that GW really wants to get to know you as a person, and for good reason: They receive some of the most applications in the nation. Just be yourself, smile, and be able to enunciate why you want to be a physician and why GW. You’ve already passed probably the biggest hurdle: Getting a freaking interview over 10,000+ people. You look good on paper, and they want to get to know you in person. Relax, sip on a beer the night before, and crush the day. Good luck! :)

Maurelius_

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anybody else waiting for an II just die a little inside after getting that maintenance email? Lmfao
Did anybody else immediately check SDN to see what other people’s reaction would be?

May 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Guess it’s time for GW to post up after that heart attack of an email ;)

Dec 17, 2018
Just interviewed!

I am so happy that you loved your interview day this is incredible feedback and so helpful for other applicants. But don’t you DARE complement the dc metro system lol. As a Washingtonian I’m going to stop you right there Lololol it’s about as unreliable as it gets.

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I am so happy that you loved your interview day this is incredible feedback and so helpful for other applicants. But don’t you DARE complement the dc metro system lol. As a Washingtonian I’m going to stop you right there Lololol it’s about as unreliable as it gets.
I’m from the West Coast. The mere existence of public transportation is worthy of a compliment.

Dec 17, 2018
I’m from the West Coast. The mere existence of public transportation is worthy of a compliment.
Talk about a low bar LOL. But yes it exists and usually is good. But the Metro gods know when you are in a rush....

Reactions: SeaHusky
Apr 28, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Fellow Washingtonian as well. Somebody had to say it haha.

Also, if anyone interviewing here wants to get a drink if they have free time, I'm always down for that

LTUbluedevil

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Got a notification on my portal. Not sure if it happened earlier this week, but I just checked it for the first time since last week.
Oh ok, gotcha. Thank you!

Aug 6, 2019
On hold — verified end of July. Low-stat applicant so idk what this means :nailbiting:

Maybe they changed everyone’s status to on-hold after their recent maintenance period?

Apr 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
On hold — verified end of July. Low-stat applicant so idk what this means :nailbiting:

Maybe they changed everyone’s status to on-hold after their recent maintenance period?
Probably not. I checked earlier today and my status said complete. I didn't even see under review status until i got the on hold portal change.

Reactions: HappyFeet_14
Jul 4, 2019
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
Not sure what the mystery is here. They review your application. They either offer you an interview, hold you for possible reconsideration later, or reject you outright. GW lets applicants know they are on hold. Others don’t share with you a status change but basically make the same three choices for your application.

Jul 12, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is hold the same thing as re-review? Or are they different altogether