2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel/felt the same but trying to stay positive. My googling on this topic came up with the following tid-bit from r/premed that's at least somewhat encouraging:
"Someone I went to undergrad with is an admissions counselor at GW. I emailed him last year about the hold status. This is what he said:
'Almost all applicants get placed on hold for some period of time. The people who get invites right away is very limited and usually is reserved for people that the committee knows they will want to interview regardless of what the rest of the applicant pool looks like.'"
+1 hold. Reading this blurb makes me feel as though it's not a silent rejection, though? OOS, 8/19, 71.1 LM.

edit: do any current students know the likelihood of coming off hold and receiving an II?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! I just got the email. I'm absolutely over the moon, this is my dream school.

• Love
Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG I just got accepted!!!! After 2 previous unsuccessful cycles, I am finally in. This feels like a dream! I look forward to living in DC and attending this amazing institution next year!

• Love
Reactions: 31 users
OMG I just got accepted!!!! After 2 previous unsuccessful cycles, I am finally in. This feels like a dream! I look forward to living in DC and attending this amazing institution next year!
Congrats!! Did u apply ED? I thought u can’t hear about acceptances until Oct 15

Wow, congratulations!!!! You must have applied early-decision right?
Yep! I had my interview in late August. I'm a little surprised to be hearing from them so early since they have until October 1st.

Reactions: 3 users
Yep! I had my interview in late August. I'm a little surprised to be hearing from them so early since they have until October 1st.
That is awesome, congrats to you for getting in to an amazing school!

Yes I applied through EDP as well! I am so glad that this worked out

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any way that GW looks at updates? I’m on hold for re review but was told to send my ITA letter as an update... and would prefer to know soon if they can accommodate that or not.
(My guess is they likely won’t even look until after I’m out of DC, but just holding on to some hope).

Welcome, fam. Apparently they DO take people from the hold pool for interviews. We aren't out just yet.
Its pretty early in the cycle to really be pulling from the hold pile, so many they havent gone thru. Theyre one of the lowest of yield schools also.

That being said, I checked last years thread and mid october someone got an II off hold. Doesnt mean anything about this year, but more so that it does happen, and more importantly..... its early

Its pretty early in the cycle to really be pulling from the hold pile, so many they havent gone thru. Theyre one of the lowest of yield schools also.

That being said, I checked last years thread and mid october someone got an II off hold. Doesnt mean anything about this year, but more so that it does happen, and more importantly..... its early
I wasn't saying it was going to happen anytime soon, I was just saying that based off of previous years, it is possible to get taken out of the hold pile for an interview. There are other schools (like UCSD) where being placed on hold = soft R. GWU isn't necessarily like that because of the fact that they pull from the hold pile.

I wasn't saying it was going to happen anytime soon, I was just saying that based off of previous years, it is possible to get taken out of the hold pile for an interview. There are other schools (like UCSD) where being placed on hold = soft R. GWU isn't necessarily like that because of the fact that they pull from the hold pile.
Was agreeing w you in more context!

• Haha
Not sure if it's been asked already, but does anyone have a general idea of the post-interview acceptance rate?

Not sure if it's been asked already, but does anyone have a general idea of the post-interview acceptance rate?
I think around 30%? USWNR IS says 30%, but based on MSAR I would be surprised if it wasnt around the same as well

Reactions: 1 users
I think around 30%? USWNR IS says 30%, but based on MSAR I would be surprised if it wasnt around the same as well
Oof, that seems low, no? What's typically considered a low/high post-interview acceptance rate?

Oof, that seems low, no? What's typically considered a low/high post-interview acceptance rate?

Definitely low. The schools that I've interviewed at have 50-60% post-II acceptance rates.
30% is big yikes. I'd say low is <40% and high is >70%.

We all have faith in you SeaHusky, you will be the 30%!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
based on past cycle data they seem to interview around 1000 applicants but only have a class size of around 180. Pretty sure that I've read that they generally give out around 300 acceptances (to account for people who get multiple As) so (~300)/(~1000) * 100 ~ 30%

based on past cycle data they seem to interview around 1000 applicants but only have a class size of around 180. Pretty sure that I've read that they generally give out around 300 acceptances (to account for people who get multiple As) so (~300)/(~1000) * 100 ~ 30%
I’m assuming your chances are higher if you interview earlier due to rolling admissions?

Sorry if it’s a dumb question. Just more neurotic about GW than other schools since it’s my top choice and I’m basically at the 10th percentile for GPA! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I’m assuming your chances are higher if you interview earlier due to rolling admissions?

Sorry if it’s a dumb question. Just more neurotic about GW than other schools since it’s my top choice and I’m basically at the 10th percentile for GPA! :)
A little higher but not by much.

Just always remember they didnt II you to waste your time :) You have a real swingin chance and its out of your hands champ

If you're normal decision and will be interviewing before the 15th then I doubt it. After the 15th it's probably anyone's game. My student interviewer told me almost verbatim that they won't interview you if they aren't highly interested in giving you an A.

My student interviewer told me almost verbatim that they won't interview you if they aren't highly interested in giving you an A.
Hawkeye.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know how long it typically takes GW to get back to you with an admissions decision after your interview?

Does anyone know how long it typically takes GW to get back to you with an admissions decision after your interview?
First date the earliest interviewees can hear back is Oct. 15. Judging from last year’s thread, it could take up to 8 weeks initially.

I logged into my portal earlier today and noticed that it changed from this message
"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. "
to "Your File is Under Review". How long after this change did most people hear back with either an II, hold, or R?
My complete date was 8/10

Last edited:
I logged into my portal earlier today and noticed that it changed from this message

to "Your File is Under Review". How long after this change did most people hear back with either an II, hold, or R?
My complete date was 8/10
I submitted my secondary on August 16; I noticed I was under review about a week later; I was invited to interview about a week after that (August 28 to be exact)!!!

does the school confirm that they received your thank you notes post-interview?

So, because I'm insane I calculated the following data (from MSAR) for myself and I'll share it with you guys:

14,004 people applied last year--> of that, 1,132 people interviewed (~8.08% of applicants got an interview)--> of those that interviewed at GW, 180 people got accepted (~1.29% of applicants were accepted).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
180 people got accepted (~1.29% of applicants were accepted).

180 matriculated not accepted. Hard to assume how many were accepted to produce that yield. If schools like NYU pull 50-70 off WL to meet their yield you can only expect GW to be nearly double their A-pool

Reactions: 6 users
So, because I'm insane I calculated the following data (from MSAR) for myself and I'll share it with you guys:

14,004 people interviewed last year--> of that, 1,132 people interviewed (~8.08% of applicants got an interview)--> of those that interviewed at GW, 180 people got accepted (~1.29% of applicants were accepted).
I'm assuming you meant 14,004 applied??;)

I'm assuming you meant 14,004 applied??;)
180 matriculated not accepted. Hard to assume how many were accepted to produce that yield. If schools like NYU pull 50-70 off WL to meet their yield you can only expect GW to be nearly double their A-pool
You're right! I edited my post to say 'applied' and not 'interviewed' (brain fart) haha

Yeah it is matriculated. Hmm....so is there data with the number of acceptances that each school gives out?