2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any acceptances today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The generic WL email they sent a few days ago said “movement starting mid-May”

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully that means they’re taking a few days to think about who to pull off the WL! I’m still going to religiously check my email though

I don't know how they plan on doing it this year, but when I applied, they called students to take them off the waitlist. So make sure to answer your phone, even if you don't recognize the number. It would be area code 414.

Reactions: 3 users
I was admitted to MCW back in October and it has been my top choice for a while. However, I was accepted to an in-state school for me yesterday and am now so confused on where I should go. I am wondering if anyone knows if MCW is willing to match in-state tuition at other schools. I assume no, but wanted to make sure I checked.

I was admitted to MCW back in October and it has been my top choice for a while. However, I was accepted to an in-state school for me yesterday and am now so confused on where I should go. I am wondering if anyone knows if MCW is willing to match in-state tuition at other schools. I assume no, but wanted to make sure I checked.

You can always ask lol you never know! But do you mind me asking for which campus?

I don't know how they plan on doing it this year, but when I applied, they called students to take them off the waitlist. So make sure to answer your phone, even if you don't recognize the number. It would be area code 414.
When did they start calling when you applied? Do you think we can expect movement this week and next week or not until mid to late May?

When did they start calling when you applied? Do you think we can expect movement this week and next week or not until mid to late May?
I don't know when they started calling. You'd have to check past threads. I wasn't called until May 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would kill for some WL movement today!

MCW Milwaukee campus M1 here! I did ask them this exact question--I got into UW Madison as well, and they were not able to match that tuition, and I think as a rule, they usually don't match in-state tuition. I still chose to come here for location reasons (and am very happy I did). Definitely worth an ask, but I wouldn't expect them to!

Any other questions, I'm happy to try to answer!

Hey. New incoming student. Does anyone know of an admitted students Facebook page? Would love to start looking for an apartment/roommate for the upcoming year just incase campus opens in the fall.

Hey. New incoming student. Does anyone know of an admitted students Facebook page? Would love to start looking for an apartment/roommate for the upcoming year just incase campus opens in the fall.

don’t love all the silence from MCW right now :(

don’t love all the silence from MCW right now :(
Current M1 here. Some of this could be due to the decrease in staff due to furloughs. They have seriously decreased all administration at the school.

I would also speculate that wait-list movement will occur later than usual this year.

Reactions: 5 users
That being said, gear up to reapply if you're not already sitting on an A. Last year they took ZERO waitlisted applicants for the Milwaukee class. They actually over-accepted by 3 students.

Current M1 here. Some of this could be due to the decrease in staff due to furloughs. They have seriously decreased all administration at the school.

I would also speculate that wait-list movement will occur later than usual this year.

Thanks for this! I still have a bit of hope now haha

That being said, gear up to reapply if you're not already sitting on an A. Last year they took ZERO waitlisted applicants for the Milwaukee class. They actually over-accepted by 3 students.
During my interview they explicitly said they were taking steps to not have this happen again so I had hope but who knows

During my interview they explicitly said they were taking steps to not have this happen again so I had hope but who knows
We'll see how Corona affects it. It's impossible to guess. I empathize with you all waiting to hear

Anyone brave enough to email the admissions office about WL movement? Lol.

Hey guys!

Looking for some advice. I'm currently waitlisted and MCW-Green Bay is my top choice of medical school. I have osteopathic medical school admissions, however, I am seriously considering declining them and reapplying to MCW next cycle if I could get feedback on why I was waitlisted vs accepted.

Does MCW offer feedback and at what point should a waitlist applicant ask for their feedback?

Hey guys!

Looking for some advice. I'm currently waitlisted and MCW-Green Bay is my top choice of medical school. I have osteopathic medical school admissions, however, I am seriously considering declining them and reapplying to MCW next cycle if I could get feedback on why I was waitlisted vs accepted.

Does MCW offer feedback and at what point should a waitlist applicant ask for their feedback?

I'm a reapplicant this cycle who received an acceptance to MCW this year. I was basically in your shoes last year. Given that it's already May, I would try reaching out to admissions now and see if they're willing to provide feedback. Can't hurt to send an email or call. Some schools provide good feedback, others don't at all, and some provided it after the WL is closed. Might be worth reaching out to multiple schools since they can give you a different perspective on how to improve your app. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys!

I'm on the waitlist at the Milwaukee campus and reached out asking for advice for reapplying. They told me they could not give me advice while my application was still in consideration for candidacy. Just what I was told though, you can always ask as well. I've been reworking my personal statement in the meantime while waiting. I hope both of us get in this cycle though!

I'm on the waitlist at the Milwaukee campus and reached out asking for advice for reapplying. They told me they could not give me advice while my application was still in consideration for candidacy. Just what I was told though, you can always ask as well. I've been reworking my personal statement in the meantime while waiting. I hope both of us get in this cycle though!

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Hey guys!

Unsolicited advice: if you don't get off of MCW's waitlist, take a DO acceptance and run, with or without feedback from MCW. Turning down your DO acceptances means you are killing any chance of ever getting into a DO school, which are for all intents and purposes easier to get into than MD schools. Being a MD re applicant with no time to strengthen your app puts you at even greater risk of being in the same position next year. Ask yourself if likely sacrificing being a doctor is worth banking on a slim chance MCW accepts you next cycle.

Reactions: 9 users
Have you heard back from them at all yet?
they got back to me today and said they expect a small amount of movement over the next month, but that the class is nearly at capacity right now. not the news we wanted to hear but there should be some people pulled from the WL.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how many students are typically on MCW's waitlist? Still trying to hang onto hope...

they got back to me today and said they expect a small amount of movement over the next month, but that the class is nearly at capacity right now. not the news we wanted to hear but there should be some people pulled from the WL.

Why send an email saying they're anticipating WL movement then? Lol, just gonna withdraw. Bye friends!

• Haha
I have decided to withdraw my acceptance here. Got into another school off the waitlist.
Best of luck everyone! I hope the seat goes to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
well just got the email from Alexis that the class is full..... I know theres still a chance but I'm giving up on here. Best of luck to everyone accepted and all still waiting to hear back!

well just got the email from Alexis that the class is full..... I know theres still a chance but I'm giving up on here. Best of luck to everyone accepted and all still waiting to hear back!

I got the same response this morning too. Best of luck to everyone reapplying - You are meant for this path, so stay positive and never give up :)

Attachments

• A63CCC25-B890-4E1E-ABBA-2FB1F0FC9240.jpeg
    A63CCC25-B890-4E1E-ABBA-2FB1F0FC9240.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 335
I have decided to withdraw my OOS acceptance due to getting off the waitlist at another school. I hope this helps one of you get off the WL! MCW is a great school and I wish you all the best!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Hi there! I'm an OOS student planning to apply to this school this cycle - can anyone comment on how much they value primary care? I'm not super into primary care as of right now (might change in the future lol who knows) and am more interested in cardiology. My personal statement comes off that way too, but I'm wondering if this would make less desirable to this school?

Hi there! I'm an OOS student planning to apply to this school this cycle - can anyone comment on how much they value primary care? I'm not super into primary care as of right now (might change in the future lol who knows) and am more interested in cardiology. My personal statement comes off that way too, but I'm wondering if this would make less desirable to this school?
If you are applying to the satellite campuses (Green Bay/Central Wisc), you need to intend on matching into a primary care specialty. These programs are rural/primary care focused. Specialty interests do not make a difference when applying to the main campus (Milwaukee), however. As just a general suggestion, I would try to limit leaning too much into a specific specialty when drafting up your PS. It's good to have a general idea as to what you might want to do (Primary vs surgery vs other specialty), and questions about your interests will come up in interviews, but the PS should focus on why you want to be a doctor in general. Not saying you cant have little snippets about how you love the heart and cardiology, but make sure you don't make it seem like its cardiology (or neruosurg, derm, ortho, etc - you get the picture) or bust. No matter where you apply its important to keep an open mind and I think the general consensus among adcoms is that flexibility in interests is a good thing.

Reactions: 6 users
If you are applying to the satellite campuses (Green Bay/Central Wisc), you need to intend on matching into a primary care specialty. These programs are rural/primary care focused. Specialty interests do not make a difference when applying to the main campus (Milwaukee), however. As just a general suggestion, I would try to limit leaning too much into a specific specialty when drafting up your PS. It's good to have a general idea as to what you might want to do (Primary vs surgery vs other specialty), and questions about your interests will come up in interviews, but the PS should focus on why you want to be a doctor in general. Not saying you cant have little snippets about how you love the heart and cardiology, but make sure you don't make it seem like its cardiology (or neruosurg, derm, ortho, etc - you get the picture) or bust. No matter where you apply its important to keep an open mind and I think the general consensus among adcoms is that flexibility in interests is a good thing.

Hey thank you for that explanation! I definitely tried to show my open mindedness in my PS but my "seed to medicine" was cuz of heart issues in my family so the interest in that field certainly comes across. i just saw one of their secondary questions that asks about why we would want to go into primary care, and got the idea that they prefer primary care to the main interest but i'm not sure if that's the path for me at this point. How do you recommend approaching that question? Or is this not the school for me :\

Hey thank you for that explanation! I definitely tried to show my open mindedness in my PS but my "seed to medicine" was cuz of heart issues in my family so the interest in that field certainly comes across. i just saw one of their secondary questions that asks about why we would want to go into primary care, and got the idea that they prefer primary care to the main interest but i'm not sure if that's the path for me at this point. How do you recommend approaching that question? Or is this not the school for me :\
I would maybe check to make sure that question isn't for GB/central wis applicants. As far as I know, Milwaukee has always been open to accepting applicants interested in any specialty. The reason GB/Central Wis require commitment to primary care is because its a special 3 year program meant only for applicants planning to go into one of the primary care specialties.

I would maybe check to make sure that question isn't for GB/central wis applicants. As far as I know, Milwaukee has always been open to accepting applicants interested in any specialty. The reason GB/Central Wis require commitment to primary care is because its a special 3 year program meant only for applicants planning to go into one of the primary care specialties.

Gotcha, thank you. :) I will look into that then. I saw that it was a general secondary question and was confused.

I'm an incoming M1 for CW campus. If you rank GB/CW campuses at all, even as #2 or 3 behind Milwaukee, two additional prompts come up regarding primary care and community. These campuses prioritize primary care, psych, and gen surg, as well as rural medicine. This does NOT mean you can't match in other areas, as some have gone into rads, derm, anesthesia, and I'm pretty sure I even saw one from GB match ortho. Keep in mind that they want people who prioritize primary care/psych just as those programs do, so if you did decide to apply to either of them, you need to keep your PS more primary care (FM, IM, Peds) or psych centered. Please don't lie purposefully, of course.

The 3-year curriculum is actually for non-surgical specialties. Surgery and EM need the 4th year to be competitive in their respective matches. There also isn't much time to explore too many specialties outside of the required rotations. You can see a couple, but not like in a 4-year curriculum. You also will not have the summer between M1 and M2 to do a bunch of research. There is a "Physician in the Community" pathway, however, which can be somewhat research focused and helps build a unique CV.

Just because you want to go into cardiology doesn't mean that you shouldn't go to either of those campuses. I see it as okay to apply to them if you are truly open to primary care, psych, or gen surg. Although heart conditions were the reason that attracted you to cardiology, plenty of primary care docs find murmurs and help those with heart issues. Many people change their minds in med school too. I'm leaning psych pretty heavily, but keeping my options open since I never know if I might fall in love with another area of medicine.

Wausau and GB are also not Milwaukee. That alone could make a difference to many people. To me, those cities are plenty big enough and Milwaukee is way too big. I hate driving in big cities :shrug: (but I do love my Brewer games!). To others, they are nowhere near big enough or diverse enough. Up to your personal preference.

Last edited: