2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, I'm a graduating M3 at one of the regional campuses who matched Family Med and have a ton of free time since we got pulled from our rotations. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!
What made you decide on the school? Has your experience at the school lived up to your expectations? What do you wish they improved about the school?

Members don't see this ad.

does MCW offer merit based scholarships? if so, what's the average amount they offer and to how many people?

Members don't see this ad :)
does MCW offer merit based scholarships? if so, what's the average amount they offer and to how many people?
Yes, they offer scholarships based on need and merit. Not sure the range for merit. It's supposed to be different for everyone from my understanding.

Reactions: 2 users
The Offer page on my MCWConnect is showing stuff about loans now! Nothing about any other kind of aid but maybe I just didn't get any?
I double checked my offer page and haven't seen anything quite yet, I'll give it another couple of days on my end since I completed everything a couple of days ago anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you click "financial aid offers" on the financial aid tab? That option was available to me before anything actually showed up.
Neither of us has anything in the “tuition and financial aid tab”. No forms or checklist or additional tabs. Just contact information for the offices.

What made you decide on the school? Has your experience at the school lived up to your expectations? What do you wish they improved about the school?
Hi there! I chose it because of its mission, proximity to my family, and it is significantly less expensive than U Wisconsin if you finish in three years. I also liked the faculty when I interviewed, and it just seemed like the right fit. School definitely has exceeded my expectations, particularly with our clinical experiences. The clinical experience we get is quite different than a larger, traditional medical school and has lots of benefits, which I didn't even realize when I chose it. We do most of our rotations at smaller community hospitals and are often one of a few learners in the whole hospital. That allows us to get more involved because there are no residents, fellows, or other medical students trying to learn simultaneously. I basically only worked one-on-one with the attendings, was able to first assist in surgeries, and got a lot direct feedback from the attendings which is very unique to our school. I got to know my attendings very well, got fantastic letters, and they gave me more responsibilities because they had worked closely with me. Overall I've been very happy here, and it's helped me get to where I want to be in medicine!

As far as improvements, I think they could spread out the workload of third year, because it was hellishly busy from June-December with Step 2 clinical knowledge, Step 2 clinical skills, residency applications and interviews, and our ongoing responsibilities in the hospital and clinic. There simply wasn't enough time in the day to keep up with everything. With Step 1 moving to pass/fail, I think it's very plausible in the near future they will condense the pre-clinical curriculum to 1.5 years instead of 2 years, and make a more realistic timeline for third year. That's a decision that will have to come from MCW Milwaukee though.

Last edited:
I double checked my offer page and haven't seen anything quite yet, I'll give it another couple of days on my end since I completed everything a couple of days ago anyway.

How did you submit the citizenship verification that it says we need to do in person?

Current M1 here -- just to answer everybody's financial aid questions... We didn't receive our aid eligibility packages until ~June last year. The financial aid office starts with M4s and works backwards, so incoming M1s receive their packages last. Then during orientation, you meet 1:1 with a financial aid advisor and work through how much you actually want to take out. You can take out more or less than what you are eligible for, so don't freak out if your package is less than you budgeted for. Usually, any extra aid you end up taking out is in the form of Grad PLUS loans, though, since they use up your unsubsidized loans first. I remember being super anxious about when financial aid would come through -- don't worry, it will all work out & may just take a little longer than expected... especially with this "new normal" we are currently living through!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I’m on the waitlist. Any idea how they choose who gets off since it isn’t ranked?

I know it’s apparently been posted in the Facebook group previously mentioned in this thread (of which I am not a member) but here’s a link to what we are deeming to be the official Class of 2024 Facebook group...Congrats!!

Question about financial aid: how do we submit our SSN on MCWconnect? I thought I already did it but my FAFSA has been approved for a while now and I still haven’t seen anything appear on my financial aid part of the portal (I apologize if this was asked already, I scrolled through all past posts multiple times but didn’t see anything)

Does anyone else have this problem? Every time I click a link in MCW's emails it always redirects me to a url defense page and says it cannot be opened. This happened when they sent the 2020 match list as well as today's email on second look day. If anyone has resolved this issue please let me know. Thanks

any expected WL movement here soon? Or not until May 1?

any expected WL movement here soon? Or not until May 1?
With the April 30th deadline for CTE, I would say May 1st is the best bet. At the interview they said they had no WL movement last year, but who knows what that means for this year.

how do we submit our SSN on MCWconnect?
I think it's automatically in there. You only have to email them if something changed. They manually change the MCWconnect checklist, so it might be they manually change all that at once. We've still got other things on the portal we have to do that doesn't open until May, so I don't think there is a huge rush on most things at the moment.

With the April 30th deadline for CTE, I would say May 1st is the best bet. At the interview they said they had no WL movement last year, but who knows what that means for this year.
I'd assume they made changes this year to avoid this from happening again. Hopefully at least, this is my top choice!

Also, does anyone know if MCW is receptive to Letters of Intent?

I'd assume they made changes this year to avoid this from happening again. Hopefully at least, this is my top choice!

Also, does anyone know if MCW is receptive to Letters of Intent?

During my interview they said they recommended sending them in since they don’t rank the waitlist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when MCW will notify us of any institutional scholarships/how much we are being offered? Any idea how much those scholarships would be?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I am waitlisted at MCW-Green Bay, but it is my #1 choice. I sent a letter of intent a few weeks ago. Any advice on if/when to send the next update? Should it be before or after May 1st?

I just got an email letting me know that my financial aid award was available to view on MCWconnect.

Will be withdrawing (Milwaukee campus), best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm withdrawing my acceptance. Whoever gets my spot will be joining a class with many wonderful people!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I am withdrawing my acceptance at MCW-Milwaukee. I hope one of you lovely people on the WL gets my spot. Good luck to y'all!!

no word on fin aid packages but officially withdrew yesterday from the milwaukee campus. Hope the A goes to one of you! best of luck everyone.

I may have missed this, but did MCW publish the 2020 match list/results?

I may have missed this, but did MCW publish the 2020 match list/results?

1587636611661.png

Does anyone know when MCW will notify us of any institutional scholarships/how much we are being offered? Any idea how much those scholarships would be?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I reached out about this and they said they are trying to announce institutional scholarships by April 30th. Not sure how much they would be but I'm guessing there is a large range of what they might offer. I hope this helps and hope some of us hear so good news on the financial end in the next week!

thanks! is there a breakdown of programs?
MCW-GB
5 Peds: U Iowa x2, U Minn, Mercy Kansas City,, Grand Rapids Spectrum
3 Psych: U Utah, MCW Milwaukee, MCW Green Bay
4 IM: Mercy St. Louis, UVA, Hennepin Co, Maine Med Center,
5 FM: Columbia St. Mary's, Aurora Waukesha, Aurora St. Lukes, MCW Fox Valley x2,
1 Med/Peds: U Missouri
3 EM: UT San Antonio, Grand Rapids Spectrum, Chicago Presence
3 OB/GYN: St. Louis U, Grand Rapids Spectrum, MCW Milwaukee
1 Gen Surg: Santa Barbara
1 Ortho: U Kentucky

MCW-CW
1 Peds: Carolinas Med Center
2 Psych: MCW Wausau x2
3 IM: Hennepin Co, U Iowa, Rosalind Franklin
8 FM: Ventura Co, U Iowa, UI Peoria, Mercy Grand Rapids, UW Wausau, Aurora Elkhorn, MCW Fox Valley, UW Eau Claire
1 Med/Peds: Loyola
2 EM: CreightonU at Phoenix, Beaumont MI
1 OB/GYN: UT San Antonio
4 Gen Surg: U Missouri, Michigan State, Beaumont Army Center at San Antonio, MCW Milwaukee
1 Anesthesia: UWash

Not sure where to find Milwaukee's info.

Anyone hear of any waitlist movement? Or do you think they wont start extending any offers until after May 1?

Anyone hear of any waitlist movement? Or do you think they wont start extending any offers until after May 1?

Haven't yet! But yeah, from my understanding the majority of offers will be on or after May 1st :)

Reactions: 1 users
Came off the waitlist today for CW campus. Admissions have definitely been looking through things to see who they want to offer acceptances off the waitlist.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Came off the waitlist today for CW campus. Admissions have definitely been looking through things to see who they want to offer acceptances off the waitlist.
What makes you say that? Just curious

What makes you say that? Just curious
Because I chatted with the Director of Admissions and she more or less said they were looking at people to come off when she told me I was accepted. I'm not saying they've been looking super intensely yet. Despite having an unranked waitlist though, admissions often have some biases toward people they really think would fit the programs.

Edut: Keep in mind that the satellite campuses start earlier than Milwaukee, so they may look at there WLs at slightly different points.

Last edited:

How were you notified? Phone call or Email?

How were you notified? Phone call or Email?
I was emailed and asked to chat, where i was then told. I dont know if that's a typical thing. I'd imagine that won't happen with all people coming off the waitlist, but I have no idea how they handle the rest. Checking previous years' forums might hint at how they do it. Sorry I'm not too much more of a help!

Withdrew my acceptance from MCW (main campus) today. Hope that spot goes to one of you nice folks! ;)

just got an email about the WL. just explaining its unranked, reminder to send credit report, and that classes plan to start in august as normal for now

Just withdrew my acceptance from main campus in MKE. I hope it goes to one of y’all!

This is the best news I've read all week! Granted, the news this week has been terrible. But still! <3