2019-2020 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I'm an M1 at Milwaukee and I'm happy to answer any questions to help you decide if MCW is a good fit for you - or if you just want more information!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone see the new US News and World Report rankings for medical schools? MCW just became unranked for both research and primary care, when it was ~54th in research and ~63rd in primary care last year. I know rankings don’t matter much, but I’m sad this happened! They change the metrics every year based on peer reviews, but surely they should’ve received some feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone see the new US News and World Report rankings for medical schools? MCW just became unranked for both research and primary care, when it was ~54th in research and ~63rd in primary care last year. I know rankings don’t matter much, but I’m sad this happened! They change the metrics every year based on peer reviews, but surely they should’ve received some feedback.

I just did more research and it seems like schools are increasingly not participating in the USNR on purpose by not submitting information to them. On the other hand, if it says “Rank Not Published,” it means that the school DID provide enough info, but they just didn’t rank high enough to have their ranking published.

Reactions: 1 user

Unranked means that MCW didn’t provide info to US News that allows them to be ranked. This is distinct from Rank Not Published which means they were ranked but didn’t make the ‘cut’. They could opt out for a variety of reasons, so I wouldn’t worry about it. The problem with US News is that the arbitrary measurements they use to decide rank are heavily weighted towards things that really don’t matter- total NIH/research funding, percentage of class going into primary care, etc. A school with a ton of funding might give students limited guidance on connecting you with labs, or the PIs might try to avoid taking on med students. It’s better to talk to actual students about their ability to get connected with good research experiences as that is the final goal once you matriculate. The metric that DOES matter to a degree is residency director ratings, which is a small factor in the final score. You can see these ratings, but you probably have to buy the US News subscription or find a post where someone lists the data on reddit/sdn. I highly doubt MCW changed much for this because established schools that have shown trustworthiness over a long period of time generally score the highest and (unless there was some big scandal I’m unaware of) this kind of metric wont drop significantly year to year. MCW typically scores around the top 40-50ish for residency director ratings so I wouldn’t worry much. If you choose to go here, you’ll be going to a good school.

Reactions: 3 users
Waitlisted interviewed 2/28. Dang, pretty disappointed about this.

Does anyone who has been recently accepted to MCW know why it’s not listed as one of the schools under “choose your medical school?”

Does anyone who has been recently accepted to MCW know why it’s not listed as one of the schools under “choose your medical school?”

It took a little while (can’t remember specifically the time frame) until it was available for me to choose.

Im 100% going to MCW milwaukee next year and im wondering if theres a facebook page for class of 2024 yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last update: Got that R today! its been a long run. good luck for those applying next cycle!

• Sad
Does anyone know if there is a separate FB group for the central WI campus? If so I would love to join :)

Does anyone know this program’s average step 1&2 scores?
Are Step 2 scores even published? I've only ever heard of Step 1 being reported. Two years ago, the average Step 1 at MCW was around 235 (I can't remember if it was 234 or 236).

Im 100% going to MCW milwaukee next year and im wondering if theres a facebook page for class of 2024 yet?
Can anyone share this with me as well?
Current mcw M4, matched urology, want to give important books/study materials to a good home & Dont want to have to move them across country. If interested email me at [email protected]
Or add me to the incoming mcw 2024 class group. Thanks! Good luck to all ! ☺️

This is a financial aid question: my financial aid checklist is complete except the citizenship verification which I was told we don’t need to receive our offer, so when will this offer arrive?

Can anyone share this with me as well?
Current mcw M4, matched urology, want to give important books/study materials to a good home & Dont want to have to move them across country. If interested email me at [email protected]
Or add me to the incoming mcw 2024 class group. Thanks! Good luck to all ! ☺
HI! Congrats on matching! The name of the Facebook group is "Medical College of Wisconsin-Accepted Applicants (Class of 2024)" If you search it, it should ideally* come up!

HI! Congrats on matching! The name of the Facebook group is "Medical College of Wisconsin-Accepted Applicants (Class of 2024)" If you search it, it should ideally* come up!
I tried searching by that name, but could not find it.

How are you guys logging into MCW connect, did they send login credentials?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Yeah! It should be under your documents in your secondary portal in a bit. (Took like a few weeks after acceptance to show up for me) Also when they send your packet in the mail if I’m not mistaken you’ll get info too.

For MCW’s prerequisites, does the chemistry requirement mean we need to take organic chemistry laboratory in addition to general chem/ochem lecture classes to fulfill the requirement?

Anybody who's been trying to search for the group but can't can click here! Hopefully it shows up alright :)

So I noticed on the MSAR that the in-state tuition is a bit less than OOS, about $4K less. Does anyone know why, considering it's a private med school? Also, it says there is state residency eligibility for non-residents; would that kick in after a year? Any current MCW students here know about this? Thank you in advance!

So I noticed on the MSAR that the in-state tuition is a bit less than OOS, about $4K less. Does anyone know why, considering it's a private med school? Also, it says there is state residency eligibility for non-residents; would that kick in after a year? Any current MCW students here know about this? Thank you in advance!
I don't know anything about the state residency eligibility for non-residents, but the state of WI gives residents the $4K towards their tuition. It's a grant from the state.

Waitlisted MCW-Central Wisconsin. OOS. Interviewed early Feb.

I'm OOS so I know it was always a long shot. Thankful to have at least made it this far!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else slightly confused by the email we received. It doesn’t really say when we would get our financial package, or am I missing something?

For anyone who hasn't received financial aide, make sure to go to MCWconnect and fill out all the forms they ask of you, I just realized I hadn't completed one and I've been waiting on my aide!

For the student form, how did you all answer the question “some scholarships require applicants to demonstrate skills or interests in certain areas. please comment below on how you exemplify any of the following.”

How did you all go about answering this? Paragraph per one? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who hasn't received financial aide, make sure to go to MCWconnect and fill out all the forms they ask of you, I just realized I hadn't completed one and I've been waiting on my aide!
I've had all my forms complete since early January and don't have any aid yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone help me with the FAA form? I submitted the question new vs continuing and selected new student and it redirected me to a Complete page. It still shows incomplete for me.

Can anyone help me with the FAA form? I submitted the question new vs continuing and selected new student and it redirected me to a Complete page. It still shows incomplete for me.

Google MCW financial aid and the form is on that webpage. I called and this is where they directed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had all my forms complete since early January and don't have any aid yet.

So I spoke with the MCW Finance team last week to understand how we're gonna go about getting information regarding our financial aid packet federal student loans and she said that we'll get all our information in August during that week we all go for orientation. This is my first time going about student loans federally so I'm not sure if that's too late in the process or what, but that's what she told me.

So I spoke with the MCW Finance team last week to understand how we're gonna go about getting information regarding our financial aid packet federal student loans and she said that we'll get all our information in August during that week we all go for orientation. This is my first time going about student loans federally so I'm not sure if that's too late in the process or what, but that's what she told me.

Interesting. Any current student input on this would be great!

Just to be clear. The interest rates and other info on federal student loans comes out in August? Not the package itself. I'm assuming that still arrives this month?

Me too, until I emailed the financial aid lady. She had just forgotten to make it visible to students. Reach out to her. Things have been crazy for everyone, so I'm glad they're still working on our paperwork.

I emailed financial aid to make sure everything was in order with my application and they just got back to me and said everything is in order and it’ll be a few weeks.

Hey everyone, I'm a graduating M3 at one of the regional campuses who matched Family Med and have a ton of free time since we got pulled from our rotations. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer!

The Offer page on my MCWConnect is showing stuff about loans now! Nothing about any other kind of aid but maybe I just didn't get any?