2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you all think it's bad to say "No I don't have any connections here but I'd looooove for the chance to become part of the OUWB comm"?

Or should I stick to just saying "Nope I got nothing"

Obviously will be better worded lol
I would do the latter. Otherwise it's just really fluff because you're not actually answering the question
 
Do you all think it's bad to say "No I don't have any connections here but I'd looooove for the chance to become part of the OUWB comm"?

Or should I stick to just saying "Nope I got nothing"

Obviously will be better worded lol

I got the impression they were looking for either a legitimate connection or nothing at all. Otherwise they would've reworded the question to allow for broader responses. I personally left it blank.
 
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary received and submitted 7/22/19
Now I just have to wait until my committee letter shows up in AMCAS...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the community like around campus? is it diverse & underserved -- i am having trouble finding information about the area?
 
What is the community like around campus? is it diverse & underserved -- i am having trouble finding information about the area?
There are a lot of nice areas around campus (my parents live in Lake Orion, about 15 minutes from campus). I wouldn't say that it is underserved or even very diverse in the closest surrounding areas. But, Pontiac and Detroit are relatively close, which are both areas that are considered to be medically underserved. I've spent the majority of my life living around this area, so if you have any more questions I may be able to answer them🙂
 
Somebody from last year’s thread called OUWB to ask about this question. Go check out the thread for yourself but my understanding was that he was told to write about “personal connections.” e.g. someone you know who is faculty at the school, graduated from there, or maybe is a doc at one of their hospitals. Not so much living in oakland county or going to OU for undergrad
I just want to say that I spoke to someone from admissions this morning and they said that "it is open to your interpretation." When I asked about close family living in the area they said I can put that down. I guess I would just try and keep it to the cities surrounding OUWB, as opposed to Michigan in general.
 
Last edited:
If one of my parents is faculty at OU but not in the school of medicine, would that count as a connection or am I reaching? I've also met some OUWB students through scribing in the area and one of the physicians in the clinic teaches at OUWB. Should I mention any of this?
 
If one of my parents is faculty at OU but not in the school of medicine, would that count as a connection or am I reaching? I've also met some OUWB students through scribing in the area and one of the physicians in the clinic teaches at OUWB. Should I mention any of this?
Friends, no unless they have a made a real impact on you in some way.


Parents YES!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey y'all! Best of luck this application cycle. I'm about to begin my M2 year! Feel free to ask any questions. I cannot talk about the OUWB community and family enough. To me it's what sets OUWB from all other medical schools.
 
Yup! All students are involved in it as it's a graduation requirement. I would say most students end up doing a clinical/retrospective study as wet lab research takes a lot of time and time isn't necessarily something that medical students have.

The course leaders are super understanding that for some of us research isn't a priority and are super flexible with assignment/proposal/poster due dates as long as we understand that it's a graduation requirement. With regards to how easy it is to find a mentor, we have a data base of all previous mentor/mentee agreements and project titles so it's easy to find someone who has experience with the Embark program who might be interested in taking on another mentee. At times it can be frustrating balancing all the courses like PMH/EMBARK/MHCB but as I said previously EMBARK course leaders are super understanding.

Overall, I would say the EMBARK program is what you make of it. Hope that answers your question!
 
I got a DM with the following question. Unfortunately, I couldn't message directly back for some reason or start a new message so I'm hoping the right person sees this! Also thought that it might be useful for everyone.

Question:
I'm already extremely interested in the school and hospital system, but was wondering what tends to be students' favorite part about the school. As in, what is the first thing people tend to speak highly of when talking to others about where they go to school?

Answer:

There are a lot of good things going for OUWB. We have a renown and respected hospital network and we have an exceptional Step average (Not sure if I'm allowed to say what it is exactly but the current M4 class had a mid/high 230 average, unsure what the current M3's scored but hoping they continue the trend of increasing the Step average every year!) However, I would say what we are most proud of at OUWB is the sense of community we have here and this is something you'll hear about from the faculty and from us students on interview day. We students truly believe this is what sets us apart from other schools. The faculty are absolutely down to earth and amazing. I creeped me out how they know all our names (all 128 of us) in just the second week of school. I always think I'm in trouble but they just want to see if they got my name right and how I'm doing. One of the faculty would buy Costco sandwiches, snack platters, and cookies for us the weekend before exams and leave it in the student lounge!

It is so easy to talk with faculty and all other students. It felt like everyone was hand picked to be my friend. In the end friend groups will form but the class is so open towards each other and it is absolutely not cut throat. I could be struggling with a certain concept and would be confident in asking anyone of my classmates if they understood it/if they could explain it to me.

I always hear about the drama and cutthroat nature of other schools from my friends and I can definitely say I'm happy that we don't really have any of that here.

Honestly, talking about the sense of community you get on interview day with your interviewers wouldn't be a bad idea! OUWB prides itself in picking students who want to be part of a family.

Hope this answered your question. Sorry I couldn't message directly back. Let me know if y'all have any more!
 
I actually had heart palpitations receiving this email just now. Lol. All I saw was Admissions and “a warm welcome” and jumped to conclusions. Now I’m reallyyy anxious
 

Attachments

  • E0E30D62-9420-451D-A793-578A060373CC.jpeg
    E0E30D62-9420-451D-A793-578A060373CC.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 327
Did everyone get this? For some reason I’m not getting these spam emails (for this school and others).

I’m not necessarily complaining, but like also idk why

Also did not get this email, but I did receive Michigan State's "new admissions website" email couple days ago that bamboozled me as well lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've received 2-3 emails from this school and I haven't applied to it. Considering adding it to my list now.
 
I honestly think the emails come based on whether you click off that button on your mcat asking about whether you want advertisements and the works.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II this morning! Any insight on travel? I'm not really a driver but it looks like the campus is about an hour from the main Detroit airport?

Yup! I've managed to do the drive in 40 minutes but sometimes the traffic can be real bad, especially since there's a lot of construction going on. Flying in and then getting to the school was definitely a hassle more than other schools. There isn't really a way to avoid the $60-ish Lyft/Uber fee unless you somehow link up with another interviewee.
 
Yup! I've managed to do the drive in 40 minutes but sometimes the traffic can be real bad, especially since there's a lot of construction going on. Flying in and then getting to the school was definitely a hassle more than other schools. There isn't really a way to avoid the $60-ish Lyft/Uber fee unless you somehow link up with another interviewee.

Thanks for the response! I was actually able to arrange my interview so a friend can drive me 🙂 (Relieved to be saving several hundred dollars on flights and taxis!)