2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopefully not a crazy question. Does anyone know if the mandatory lectures include online lectures or just the trad lectures?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sorry, I’ve gotten two rejections and 2 DO IIs so far. Keep your head up! This school will reject now or did they put you on hold?

Thank you! 🙂 And yes it was formal rejection via email! I was excited for about a second when I saw the subject line: "OUWB School of Medicine: Application Response," as I didn't know they were one of the schools sending out early R's haha.
 
Thank you! 🙂 And yes it was formal rejection via email! I was excited for about a second when I saw the subject line: "OUWB School of Medicine: Application Response," as I didn't know they were one of the schools sending out early R's haha.

What were your stats? If you don't mind me asking
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get a letter by postal mail encouraging you to apply?? Usually I get emails from schools, but the physical letter was intriguing! I actually decided to apply. So definitely effective if they just wanted my money.
 
Hopefully not a crazy question. Does anyone know if the mandatory lectures include online lectures or just the trad lectures?
Mandatory lectures that everyone must attend are in person. They can include pathology labs, histology labs, microbiology labs, patient panels, etc. in addition to others. Does this answer your question?
 
"Applicants should submit a minimum of three letters of recommendation (maximum of five). If your premedical advising office provides a committee letter compiling feedback from multiple sources, this letter will count as two of your three required letters of recommendation."

Does anyone know what we should do if all of our letters are already in the committee letter-- i.e. how do I fulfill the third required LOR? I believe I have 5 or 6 letters packed into my committee letter and don't have anyone else I could get a letter from...

Did you ever get this resolved? I just got the email and I am in the same situation where I have 5 individual letters inside my committee letter.
 
Did you ever get this resolved? I just got the email and I am in the same situation where I have 5 individual letters inside my committee letter.
Did anyone watch their webinar last 16th Aug? How was it?

I watched it, re: letters - if you have a committee letter AND they attach the original letters (scanned copies that include the full letter) that the committee letter is based on then that WILL suffice for the letter requirements and no additional separate letters will be necessary. They further specified that if you have a committee letter and it does not include the letters of support that it is based off of it will count for two total letters and you will need an additional letter of support. They also said that if they need additional letters they will be sure to reach out let you know.

I hope that clarifies.
 
What do you like best about OUWB?
Most people you ask this question will probably speak to OUWB's sense of community. I enjoy knowing every single one of my classmates by name at the end of the first week. I am super social and enjoy going to class to see my friends. You get to know most people in your class pretty well from the variety of small group work that we do as part of our classes (anatomy lab groups, TBL teams, etc.) Friend groups form but for the most part you can interact with pretty much any member of your class without it being weird or unnatural.

I also think administration is more receptive to students than what I hear from other schools. They are incredibly willing to change how they do things for the following year's class if current students don't particularly like something.

Lastly, I think our physical school is really nice. We have a nice lounge, study spaces, library, lecture halls, etc. Makes coming to school not so bad when there's a nintendo and piano in the lounge haha.
 
Does anyone know how much the connection to the OUWB community benefits the application?
 
Current OUWB student. Let me know if there are questions.
I know OUWB is located in a more suburban type environment. Are there ample opportunities in the immediate area to work with the underserved, or do we have to arrange transportation to travel into the more urban areas of the region?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know OUWB is located in a more suburban type environment. Are there ample opportunities in the immediate area to work with the underserved, or do we have to arrange transportation to travel into the more urban areas of the region?
There are plenty of opportunities if you take advantage of them. While the school itself is located in a wealthy suburban area, Pontiac is close by where the median household income is around $27,000. One night a month, OUWB students staff the Gary Burnstein clinic, which provides healthcare to underserved community members. The sign up usually fills quickly because it's an amazing experience.

OUWB students also started an after school program called "score for success" at a middle school in a neighboring community that has a large immigrant population. During the program, students help the middle school students with their homework and literacy by reading with them. After that, everyone goes to the gym to play a sports game with the middle schoolers (soccer, volleyball, basketball).

OUWB also offers a lot of service days throughout the year (such as on MLK Jr. Day). For these days, OUWB finds service activities throughout local communities for students to sign up to participate in. A lot of the organizations provide services and resources to underserved. Activities can include cooking a meal for a homeless shelter, boxing meals at Forgotten Harvest, sorting medical supplies at an organization that provides surplus supplies to places in need. The list goes on.

A few students recently started a Street Medicine group at OUWB and that should be underway shortly as well.

Lastly, you get a lot of exposure to various organizations that support underserved community members through lectures and various other activities that would be happy to have medical students work with them. For example, the professor for the medical humanities and clinical bioethics course is on the board of a local warming shelter (HOPE) which also has a recuperative care center as well. Through the course you get to go to the center and learn more about it and they are always willing to take students to volunteer or help in any capacity. A lot of students work with this particular professor on Embark projects if they are interested in research regarding homeless populations. Embark is the required research project students must complete by the end of their four years.

There are certainly more opportunities that I am forgetting but moral of the story is that the opportunities are available to work with underserved near the school and if there isn't one that specifically targets what you want you have the chance to start one.
 
Why couldn’t you have posted this before I submitted my “why OUWB” essay lol

Serious question, you say that the admin is receptive to change. I know OUWB has somewhat mandatory class attendance to get an honors or passing grade. On another thread, it said there’s an interim dean who’s been pretty receptive to change about the mandatory attendance, but I wasn’t able to verify this.

What do you think of the mandatory attendance at OUWB? And do you think it’s gonna change anytime soon to let students independently study more?

Attendance policy is something the students bring up with administration a lot. As I previously mentioned, I enjoy going to class to interact with my classmates and I worry that without the attendance policy no one would go to class and OUWB would lose the sense of community that sets them apart from other schools. However, some of my classmates do not learn well in lectures and therefore lose a lot of time sitting in lecture that they could be studying independently. I would say I would be shocked if they got rid of the attendance policy. Our current interim dean is awesome but I feel like it would take a lot for admin to change the policy. Part of the founding principles of OUWB is that you can't sit at home to earn a medical degree and that you need to be actively engaging and participating in a meaningful way. I would hate for OUWB to turn into one of those schools where no one shows up to classes and you don't know your classmates well.

To clarify the attendance policy in the easiest way for anyone not familiar, in order to earn a grade of honors in a class you must earn roughly 90% or above in that class and attend at least 70% of lectures. A small amount of students attend lecture even if they have reached 70%. A lot of students attend 70% of classes then stop attending for the rest of the course. Some students forego honors all together and just skip class entirely (except mandatories) to study as they please.
 
Attendance policy is something the students bring up with administration a lot. As I previously mentioned, I enjoy going to class to interact with my classmates and I worry that without the attendance policy no one would go to class and OUWB would lose the sense of community that sets them apart from other schools. However, some of my classmates do not learn well in lectures and therefore lose a lot of time sitting in lecture that they could be studying independently. I would say I would be shocked if they got rid of the attendance policy. Our current interim dean is awesome but I feel like it would take a lot for admin to change the policy. Part of the founding principles of OUWB is that you can't sit at home to earn a medical degree and that you need to be actively engaging and participating in a meaningful way. I would hate for OUWB to turn into one of those schools where no one shows up to classes and you don't know your classmates well.

To clarify the attendance policy in the easiest way for anyone not familiar, in order to earn a grade of honors in a class you must earn roughly 90% or above in that class and attend at least 70% of lectures. A small amount of students attend lecture even if they have reached 70%. A lot of students attend 70% of classes then stop attending for the rest of the course. Some students forego honors all together and just skip class entirely (except mandatories) to study as they please.

I 100% agree with the above sentiment about class attendance and sense of community. I think one of the largest factors for our sense of community is the attendance requirement for honors. This combine with the fact that first semester is completely professor written exams and not NBME exams promotes attendance and getting to know classmates between classes has been extremely beneficial. While I may not know everyone's story, I know their name and, because of how open everyone is here, feel comfortable talking to anyone with just about anything.

I would say most people who go to class after the first semester study on their own during lecture and socialize between classes. Sure we would probably be more efficient studying at Starbucks, the library, or some other building on campus but most of us sit in lecture to socialize between classes.
 
There are plenty of opportunities if you take advantage of them. While the school itself is located in a wealthy suburban area, Pontiac is close by where the median household income is around $27,000. One night a month, OUWB students staff the Gary Burnstein clinic, which provides healthcare to underserved community members. The sign up usually fills quickly because it's an amazing experience.

OUWB students also started an after school program called "score for success" at a middle school in a neighboring community that has a large immigrant population. During the program, students help the middle school students with their homework and literacy by reading with them. After that, everyone goes to the gym to play a sports game with the middle schoolers (soccer, volleyball, basketball).

OUWB also offers a lot of service days throughout the year (such as on MLK Jr. Day). For these days, OUWB finds service activities throughout local communities for students to sign up to participate in. A lot of the organizations provide services and resources to underserved. Activities can include cooking a meal for a homeless shelter, boxing meals at Forgotten Harvest, sorting medical supplies at an organization that provides surplus supplies to places in need. The list goes on.

A few students recently started a Street Medicine group at OUWB and that should be underway shortly as well.

Lastly, you get a lot of exposure to various organizations that support underserved community members through lectures and various other activities that would be happy to have medical students work with them. For example, the professor for the medical humanities and clinical bioethics course is on the board of a local warming shelter (HOPE) which also has a recuperative care center as well. Through the course you get to go to the center and learn more about it and they are always willing to take students to volunteer or help in any capacity. A lot of students work with this particular professor on Embark projects if they are interested in research regarding homeless populations. Embark is the required research project students must complete by the end of their four years.

There are certainly more opportunities that I am forgetting but moral of the story is that the opportunities are available to work with underserved near the school and if there isn't one that specifically targets what you want you have the chance to start one.
Sounds like a lot of neat opportunities. I think it's nice that you offer the students an older medschool mentor. Something they will definitely appreciate as they look back on their childhoods.
 
Attendance policy is something the students bring up with administration a lot. As I previously mentioned, I enjoy going to class to interact with my classmates and I worry that without the attendance policy no one would go to class and OUWB would lose the sense of community that sets them apart from other schools. However, some of my classmates do not learn well in lectures and therefore lose a lot of time sitting in lecture that they could be studying independently. I would say I would be shocked if they got rid of the attendance policy. Our current interim dean is awesome but I feel like it would take a lot for admin to change the policy. Part of the founding principles of OUWB is that you can't sit at home to earn a medical degree and that you need to be actively engaging and participating in a meaningful way. I would hate for OUWB to turn into one of those schools where no one shows up to classes and you don't know your classmates well.

To clarify the attendance policy in the easiest way for anyone not familiar, in order to earn a grade of honors in a class you must earn roughly 90% or above in that class and attend at least 70% of lectures. A small amount of students attend lecture even if they have reached 70%. A lot of students attend 70% of classes then stop attending for the rest of the course. Some students forego honors all together and just skip class entirely (except mandatories) to study as they please.
Everyone has their own learning style. It's unfortunate that many students stop attending lecture after the 70% but it does say a lot about how the students are feeling about mandatory lectures.

I personally learn most on my own and I like having a professor so that I can ask them questions about things I'm confused about. As an undergrad I very rarely learn through lectures.
 
Everyone has their own learning style. It's unfortunate that many students stop attending lecture after the 70% but it does say a lot about how the students are feeling about mandatory lectures.

I personally learn most on my own and I like having a professor so that I can ask them questions about things I'm confused about. As an undergrad I very rarely learn through lectures.
Again though it's not necessarily "mandatory." We have mandatory classes, yes. These include labs and patient panels. 70% attendance is if you want honors. Saying many students stop attending lecture after 70% is my rough estimate. A lot of students pick and choose which lectures they want to attend based on the schedule. In my opinion, a lot of students specifically choose OUWB because they like attending lectures. I think having physical lectures is a great networking opportunity. Some of Beaumont's best clinicians teach our classes and attending the lecture provides you the opportunity to talk with them afterwards. As mentioned by a peer as well, attendance also varies between first semester and the others because our organ systems classes are not professor written final exams.
 
Just opened mail from OUWB telling me more about the school. I am pleasantly surprised with all the attention OUWB gives applicants and through researching the school I'm pretty hyped about it.

I hope to get in because it would be tough being showered with all this love and not getting in but that's the med school process haha.
 
Congrats to those getting an II. Did any of you not get a complete Email? My portal shows that I am complete but I never got an Email but I did get an email after submitting my secondary that I would get an email telling me that my app is complete and ready for review. Just wondering if I need to give them a call or something.
 
Guys I wrote in my secondary "downtown Detroit" I had a total blank b/c I was working on Wayne State at the same time. RIP

Hopefully whosever reading it feels 35 min from Detroit is considered downtown oof
 
does anyone know if you can see your secondary responses after submitting? I'm hoping to recycle an essay from this secondary but now can't access it....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad