2019-2020 Pennsylvania State

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+3

They say they have the letters they need, but then when you click on letter details it says they don't have anything so who even knows :shrug:
+4

I don't know if we should call on this or if it's totally something not to worry about because we are all complete.
 
Did anyone else NOT receive the complete email, but the Status Tab has a green check-mark next to "Application File Complete" when logging into the portal? Letters of Rec also has a green checkmark, but when I check the "document status"... it says no letters received. Just wondering if anyone else is showing as "complete" without receiving an email? And for those who DID receive the email, what does it show in the "document status" in the portal?
 
Did anyone else NOT receive the complete email, but the Status Tab has a green check-mark next to "Application File Complete" when logging into the portal? Letters of Rec also has a green checkmark, but when I check the "document status"... it says no letters received. Just wondering if anyone else is showing as "complete" without receiving an email? And for those who DID receive the email, what does it show in the "document status" in the portal?

Got the complete email - has the green check mark online (but still doesn't show that it's received LORs - even though that section was marked complete?)
 
For the MCAT question, I'm just making sure - if I've already taken the MCAT, and that's the score I want to use... I say "I do not plan to take the MCAT after I submit my secondary application," not the "NO, please process my application immediately" option?
 
Can anyone give some tips on how to answer the why Penn State question? I am applying because I am PA resident but apparently I cant write that...
 
For the question that reads, "Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations." are you guys answering in terms of your medical education in general, or the resources of the medical education at Penn State? For example, I want to talk about community engagement through free clinics and such. Should I mention a Penn state clinic or keep it general?
 
For the question that reads, "Write a short statement describing how you envision using your medical education to advance care for under-represented or marginalized populations." are you guys answering in terms of your medical education in general, or the resources of the medical education at Penn State? For example, I want to talk about community engagement through free clinics and such. Should I mention a Penn state clinic or keep it general?
I kept it general.
 
"Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications in the random and rolling order they were received."

I wonder what does it mean by "random and rolling"...?
Meaning that they review them in the order they were received. They don't organize them by name or anything like that.
 
Anyone know if Penn State is receptive to ITA emails? Also, would it be a bad idea to send one after only having submitted the secondary a day or two ago?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if Penn State is receptive to ITA emails? Also, would it be a bad idea to send one after only having submitted the secondary a day or two ago?

Hmmm... first of all, I admittedly had to google "ITA" to know that it meant "In the Area". 🙂 Second, it's a good thought, but honestly I would say probably not. Reason being: they are sooooo swamped right now, so chances are they probably wouldn't be able to respond/ do anything about it... AND by the time the see it, you might be OTA (out of the area). 🙂
 
Hmmm... first of all, I admittedly had to google "ITA" to know that it meant "In the Area". 🙂 Second, it's a good thought, but honestly I would say probably not. Reason being: they are sooooo swamped right now, so chances are they probably wouldn't be able to respond/ do anything about it... AND by the time the see it, you might be OTA (out of the area). 🙂
Haha well im going to be in the area in september for another interview in pennsylvania so i hope they would be able to respond within 2 months! But I see what you're saying...
 
When they ask if we have previously applied here, does it refer to completing a secondary or primary? I sent them my primary last application cycle, but ultimately did not fill out the secondary I was sent.
 
When they ask if we have previously applied here, does it refer to completing a secondary or primary? I sent them my primary last application cycle, but ultimately did not fill out the secondary I was sent.

I would guess this DOES mean "yes" you applied here... because the Primary App is still very much an application. Even if a given school doesn't send a person a secondary app (which I know is not the case here), AMCAS would still consider this as "having applied" because a primary was sent to the school! These are just my thoughts though!!
 
Submitted 2 weeks ago, never received a complete email even though it shows complete on the portal. Called admissions and they said you receive a complete email after the committee reviews your application. Could take several weeks
I receive an email saying my application is complete and it is being passed on to the admissions committee for the consideration of an interview. Which contradicts what admissions said over the phone but idk ‍
 
Last edited:
I receive an email saying my application is complete and it is being passed on to the admissions committee for the consideration of an interview. Which contradicts what admissions said over the phone but idk ‍
Yeah I also got a complete email that said my application was being given to the committee for review almost right after I submitted my app.
 
Submitted 2 weeks ago, never received a complete email even though it shows complete on the portal. Called admissions and they said you receive a complete email after the committee reviews your application. Could take several weeks
Ha, in the same boat. Thanks for calling the office and letting us know!
 
I emailed and they said my file is “SR” or screen ready. It will be complete when it’s reviewed. Sounds like some people got the automated complete email they sent last year before screening. Weird. I would email if anything looks funny on the portal, it’d suck for the submission to be delayed because of an error on their end.
 
What topics have people been including for the question: “Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? “
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I follow up with the school? I never received a complete email even though all my stuff is in the portal...

Someone above commented on this... seems like quite a few people in the same boat! (Myself included!) if it makes you feel better, it Took a while for the portal to say I was complete, even after all pieces were in. They are probably just working as fast as they can to carefully review each app prior to sending that complete email! Probably goes to some queue in order that the portal said “complete.” 🙂
 
Anyone have info as to whether a psychology or sociology professor would be considered faculty from a non-science discipline? I just called admissions and explained that I have a letter from a psych professor and she couldn't really give me a firm answer...she said to her it sounded like a non-science but that it "would be up to the admissions committee". Strictly speaking psychology is a field of science...but I figured by medical school definitions (ie. BCPM) it's not a hard science.

Don't have a humanities letter or anything so I'd have to go out of my way to get an extra letter.
 
Anyone have info as to whether a psychology or sociology professor would be considered faculty from a non-science discipline? I just called admissions and explained that I have a letter from a psych professor and she couldn't really give me a firm answer...she said to her it sounded like a non-science but that it "would be up to the admissions committee". Strictly speaking psychology is a field of science...but I figured by medical school definitions (ie. BCPM) it's not a hard science.

Don't have a humanities letter or anything so I'd have to go out of my way to get an extra letter.
In terms of medical schools that would be a non-science letter. While I agree behavioral sciences are indeed science, they’re often considered “soft sciences”.
 
Does anyone else see that their application status on Penn State's portal is still "not complete" despite having all the necessary docs completed?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I have a complete email by now? I called to see if all was in, and I submitted the app like 3 weeks ago.