-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So I'm worried because I submitted four letters of recommendation before reading that they requested no more than two. It does say that if you send more than two it will delay processing, but is this going to be a major problem? It's silly that if there's 4 in a packet they're fine, but four individuals are too much. I'd hate that to be the deciding factor..
It doesn't appear as though there is a place for them at first, but if you drag your lab course to the lecture section, it'll automatically make a new lab section and pop it in there. It's a strange tool.Was anyone able to put in labs for the prerequisite courses section?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Around when do they start sending out interviews historically?
Aug 7th last yearAround when do they start sending out interviews historically?
If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain.
did you guys talk about one reason or turn it into a why this school essay?
did you guys talk about one reason or turn it into a why this school essay?
I used it as a "why this school" but I'm sure either way is fine!
was anybody able to upload a photo?
So I'm worried because I submitted four letters of recommendation before reading that they requested no more than two. It does say that if you send more than two it will delay processing, but is this going to be a major problem? It's silly that if there's 4 in a packet they're fine, but four individuals are too much. I'd hate that to be the deciding factor..
I phoned them and they said they take up to 10 so I sent 7 lol
For the "If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain." secondary, did you keep the word count down to 150 or did you go over? I didn't see a word limit but i know in past years it's been 15 words
I went a little over since it didn't have a word count like the other essaysFor the "If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain." secondary, did you keep the word count down to 150 or did you go over? I didn't see a word limit but i know in past years it's been 15 words
I went a little over since it didn't have a word count like the other essays
Lol i wrote like 200-220 words, figured if theyre not gunna limit me ill get it all on there for them to see.
Submitted 7/25, marked complete 7/30
Last edited:
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary received 7/19/19
Secondary submitted 7/31/19
Secondary received 7/19/19
Secondary submitted 7/31/19
You only have 150 words. I had two main activities I mentioned, and I really only had enough room to give a blurb of what I was doing and why I was doing it, along with 1-2 sentences of reflection.Anyone know to what degree of detail we should go into for the "Please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1" question?
Should we be listing out our responsibilities in our jobs/volunteering or just write that we'll be working/volunteering at X and Y?
Any insight would be helpful!
Appendectomy
Full Member
Amazing, thank you!You only have 150 words. I had two main activities I mentioned, and I really only had enough room to give a blurb of what I was doing and why I was doing it, along with 1-2 sentences of reflection.
I will say that it does not have a world limit listed for that passage. Unless I am missing it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Appendectomy
Full Member
Also, is anyone here from a quarter system school? I can't fit all three of my classes within their individual spots. Does anyone have a solution to this? I am planning on calling tomorrow morning and will update if I get an answer!
Well **** me, I thought it was 150 words. Oh well, I hope they appreciate the brevity of my response lol. I think I summed everything up quite nicely, and I'm honestly not a fan of fluffing up responses to this type of prompt anyways.Amazing, thank you!
I will say that it does not have a world limit listed for that passage. Unless I am missing it.
I am! I actually called them when I first received my secondary. Just match two classes that fit each prerequisite and they'll manually go through and match the rest on their end. The guy I spoke to over the phone made that suggestion, and he made it seem like it was a common thing.Also, is anyone here from a quarter system school? I can't fit all three of my classes within their individual spots. Does anyone have a solution to this? I am planning on calling tomorrow morning and will update if I get an answer!
Appendectomy
Full Member
I am! I actually called them when I first received my secondary. Just match two classes that fit each prerequisite and they'll manually go through and match the rest on their end. The guy I spoke to over the phone made that suggestion, and he made it seem like it was a common thing.
Ahh you are amazing! I mean it must be a common issue because not all schools are semester based...
I also agree with you about the fluff--it just seems unnecessary.
Ugh, I had the same issue with MCW. Lady I spoke to gave pretty much the same answer, saying that the adcom would be able to immediately tell I was on the quarter system and match my courses on their end. Although, she did say that it was a "glitch" in the system they plan on "fixing" for next year's cycle lmao.Ahh you are amazing! I mean it must be a common issue because not all schools are semester based...
I also agree with you about the fluff--it just seems unnecessary.
Secondary Submitted 7/31/19
Complete 8/1/19
Complete 8/1/19
Appendectomy
Full Member
Yeah the guy I spoke with today mentioned the same thing, but he also just said to write-in the courses that I couldn't add in the box at the bottom of that section. Even though that box was meant for classes that are in progress or to be taken in the future.Ugh, I had the same issue with MCW. Lady I spoke to gave pretty much the same answer, saying that the adcom would be able to immediately tell I was on the quarter system and match my courses on their end. Although, she did say that it was a "glitch" in the system they plan on "fixing" for next year's cycle lmao.
futbol_2019
Full Member
Yep, same with me, at least we aren't alone. I'm going to email if it stays that way after a day or two.
Were you able to find out if there was an issue on their system? I also just noticed I have my LOR and MCAT marked incomplete even though they've received it
Were you able to find out if there was an issue on their system? I also just noticed I have my LOR and MCAT marked incomplete even though they've received it
I got an email the following day saying I was complete, so I never contacted them
Last year interviews came out today I think so I was expecting something :/
I've been refreshing my email/portal/this thread all day! all fingers and toes are crossed for downstate! Best of luck 🙂
Anyone from SDN get II yet??
Following this thread
hey! would you guys think its too late to submit an application here? for reference: 3.86 (3.8 sgpa) // 516 // have a social justice focus on my app?
No interviews have come out yet, so why not?hey! would you guys think its too late to submit an application here? for reference: 3.86 (3.8 sgpa) // 516 // have a social justice focus on my app?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
following
A top choice school for me. Lets get it
was anybody able to upload a photo?
Were we supposed to be upload a photo of ourselvee?
They asked for my spring grades, anyone else get the same?
Followin'
How long does it take for MCAT scores and letters to be marked as received after the secondary has been submitted? It's been a while since I submitted and it hasn't been received yet so I'm starting to worry. 😳
Mine got updated the next day, but im not sure how long it usually takes
BillyOsler
Full Member
What is taking so long? Labor day is less than two weeks away
What is taking so long? Labor day is less than two weeks away
7
710118
II just now! IS complete 7/15
II just now! IS complete 7/15
Congratulations! I bet some of us New Yorkers are excited to see if we can join ya
Congratulations! I bet some of us New Yorkers are excited to see if we can join ya
tfw getting ghosted by all three SUNYs
tfw getting ghosted by all three SUNYs
Your stats getting them shook. It's like when there's a super hot person youre too intimidated too approach. The SUNY's are just fanning their faces and blushing. Maybe the 4th SUNY can pull through with that quick II and show all the others whose boss.
7
710118
Your stats getting them shook. It's like when there's a super hot person youre too intimidated too approach. The SUNY's are just fanning their faces and blushing. Maybe the 4th SUNY can pull through with that quick II and show all the others whose boss.
This is why I spent significant time on my secondaries for schools where my stats were way above their medians. You need to convince them that you will go if you get in.
D
deleted971841
II, only September dates available.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jdjdjdjdjd
New Member
II! LM 80 or something, Complete within a couple hours of receiving secondary(Around July 3 or so).
jdjdjdjdjd
New Member
Where do you see dates other than Thursday? I only see Thursday dates open.II, Monday-Thursday dates available
complete second week July