2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They say no WL movement and remain vague. Then they even said, if you want to withdraw go to the portal and select the option to withdraw
Does this mean they’re done with this year’s class?

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. They cant predict when people would withdraw. Some may not CTE on the 15th, others may have things come up that force them to withdraw after the fact.

What it means is they probably havent had to take anyone off the WL for 1-2 weeks.

For those entering the 2020-2021 AMCAS cycle I've got my fingers crossed for you, ya never know sometimes they get people withdrawing the week classes start.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was something ever sent out about applying to live in the dorms?
idk if they ever sent anything out but the housing page was updated with rates for the next semester and the update date was mid June so a couple weeks ago

Not necessarily. They cant predict when people would withdraw. Some may not CTE on the 15th, others may have things come up that force them to withdraw after the fact.

What it means is they probably havent had to take anyone off the WL for 1-2 weeks.

For those entering the 2020-2021 AMCAS cycle I've got my fingers crossed for you, ya never know sometimes they get people withdrawing the week classes start.

or someone already accepted to downstate gets accepted to their first choice elsewhere before the CTE deadline and frees a spot for one of us on the waitlist.

i wish there was a way to know how many are CTE already because only those who are PTE could potentially get off another waitlist. Currently, those PTE at downstate havent CTE yet because downstate is probably not their first choice! So i’m crossing my fingers for NYU or Columbia to accept them lol

Also, the facebook group has 188 members excluding moderators and admins.

Is there a groupme for accepted students at this school? If yes, can someone already accepted give us info on how many people are in the groupme and if there are new additions/withdrawal...

Wishing you guys the best of luck! No groupie as far as I know, just a fb group for accepted students.

Do any other accepted students know what the next steps are after the prematric checklist? Has downstate sent anyone anything?

Reactions: 1 user
Wishing you guys the best of luck! No groupie as far as I know, just a fb group for accepted students.

Do any other accepted students know what the next steps are after the prematric checklist? Has downstate sent anyone anything?

I completed the checklist. For now, Im just waiting
Looking for an apt, haha

or someone already accepted to downstate gets accepted to their first choice elsewhere before the CTE deadline and frees a spot for one of us on the waitlist.

i wish there was a way to know how many are CTE already because only those who are PTE could potentially get off another waitlist. Currently, those PTE at downstate havent CTE yet because downstate is probably not their first choice! So i’m crossing my fingers for NYU or Columbia to accept them lol

Also, the facebook group has 188 members excluding moderators and admins.

you guys are optimistic. this gives me hope, thank you so much!

Hey guys! Just got accepted off the waitlist at my top choice !! Will be withdrawing from Downstate. Hope it goes to one of you guys on the forum. Best of luck to everybody and for those who are starting the reapplication cycle, keep your head up and don't give up because we're all going to be awesome doctors one day! :)

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Hey guys! Just got accepted off the waitlist at my top choice !! Will be withdrawing from Downstate. Hope it goes to one of you guys on the forum. Best of luck to everybody and for those who are starting the reapplication cycle, keep your head up and don't give up because we're all going to be awesome doctors one day! :)

yesssssssss!!! Congrats bro! I love you ❤

this made my day! Thank you!

Is SUNY downstate going to be remote this fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
For accepted students, did anyone receive the Matric Questionnaire yet from amcas?

Maybe a random question, but what level of formality are Downstate students expected to wear in class/activities? Button down and chinos or more casual like T-shirt/Jeans being the norm?

Maybe a random question, but what level of formality are Downstate students expected to wear in class/activities? Button down and chinos or more casual like T-shirt/Jeans being the norm?

My friend is a DS student and he dresses casual. The only time I think you need to dress up a bit is for the wards.

I personally dont own anything not casual so I probably need to go shopping soon :lol:

how were you planning on dressing? Pretty sure you’ll have to try very hard to be kicked out of any room for dressing inappropriately lol

Withdrawing from 5/10 AL. CTE deadline for other school is this Monday and I'm just done waiting. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew from the WL due to my CTE date for another school, all the best to you all.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally able to go get my health forms filled out tomorrow, hopefully them being in late doesn't affect removal from the AL :lol:

Reactions: 4 users
Thank You everyone for posting about the withdrawal from AL!
Maybe DS is waiting for AL to trim down before accepting more people off of AL.. Hopefully we can hear some good news this week and next week :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
really love the positivity and support in this thread!!!! it's really refreshing to see and I really do hope for the best for everyone here, even though I joined late - the support you guys gave each other really kept me going through this process :giggle:

To everyone on the waitlist: please let us know if you get an acceptance email. It would really help in moving on...

Do you guys think there has been movement since tnedutsdem withdrew on friday night?

And there must be some accepted that don’t have Facebook so realistically 10 seats or less left.

Sorry to be pessimistic but I honnestly dont think there are any seats left... not sure any school can afford the risk of not having a constantly full class at this point in the cycle.

The only possible seat left might be the one freed up by our fellow SDN member on friday night. But then, do you guys really think the committee wouldn’t pick someone off the waitlist on the work day immediately following the acceptance withdrawal?

Sorry to be pessimistic but I honnestly dont think there are any seats left... not sure any school can afford the risk of not having a constantly full class at this point in the cycle.

The only possible seat left might be the one freed up by our fellow SDN member on friday night. But then, do you guys really think the committee wouldn’t pick someone off the waitlist on the work day immediately following the acceptance withdrawal?

Not to give anyone false hope but SDN isn’t really the end all be all for decision reporting. Lots of people don’t use it so just as one SDN member freed up their seat last week, more people may have done that and just not reported it here.

Additionally, the number of fb group members also isn’t really a good tell because not every single person in those groups is a student. I’ve had family members join several school fb groups that I was a part of in recent years.

The reality is that the class is probably full already. However, that doesn’t mean that all hope is lost, especially nearing the CTE deadline

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them about WL movements.
Full? Still Moving? Expect to move in the near future?

This was their response:

Thank you for your email and interest in SUNY Downstate Health Science University. The alternate list continues to move and will be emailed if you are selected.

I know how hard the wait is (myself included). I don’t check my email as neurotically as before but guys don’t lose hope!! It’s always better to get accepted last minute then going through another cycle of waiting game.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I emailed them about WL movements.
Full? Still Moving? Expect to move in the near future?

This was their response:

Thank you for your email and interest in SUNY Downstate Health Science University. The alternate list continues to move and will be emailed if you are selected.

I know how hard the wait is (myself included). I don’t check my email as neurotically as before but guys don’t lose hope!! It’s always better to get accepted last minute then going through another cycle of waiting game.
So that means they’re planning on picking people from it. Recently they had told several people that the waitlist hadn’t moved

What's next for accepted students? Still no communication from Downstate this month

What's next for accepted students? Still no communication from Downstate this month

I got an email this week from residential life (on campus housing) and they said:

“Orientation details are being worked on by Student Affairs, and those details will hopefully be sent out within the next week or so.”

The 15th is approaching. I wonder if any news whether rejection or acceptance will be sent out soon

Same. This silence is a bit nerve-racking especially after they told someone the WL is moving but no one reported any movement on here.

That's me.. I'm nervous as hell too. Especially after my toxic boss for my "thought-to-be" temporary job yelled at me saying, "so you've got no chance now, start learning new protocols so you can be useful for another year"

• Angry
  • Wow
I'm sorry to hear that you have to endure that type of emotional abuse from your employer. He sounds like a blastopore.

Thank you! I just shut my ear and work on my duties to pay for my rent and application fees haha.
She has been favoring her employees from her own ethnic/age group and has been verbally and emotionally abusive to younger employers (who usually quit after 1-2 years like consumables haha). It's ok, I am so driven to get the **** out of this place and be set on doing something more productive and meaningful in my life whether it be this year or another year.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I checked the website again and apparently CTE is July 13th???? Just a heads up for anyone waiting until exactly on the 15th to CTE. I don't know what to believe believe anymore LOL

1594399286839.png

I checked the website again and apparently CTE is July 13th???? Just a heads up for anyone waiting until exactly on the 15th to CTE. I don't know what to believe believe anymore LOL

View attachment 312412
OK I thought I was going crazy. I definitely remembered it as being July 15th. Does anyone know what time specifically we need to CTE by on that day? If it is the 13th, does that mean 23:59 on the 12th or 23:59 on the 13th?

I had a question- I submitted my health forms and residency papers weeks ago (well before the July 1 deadline) and they still haven't checked them off and haven't responded to my follow up email? I'm a little worried? Any accepted students who are in the same boat?

I had a question- I submitted my health forms and residency papers weeks ago (well before the July 1 deadline) and they still haven't checked them off and haven't responded to my follow up email? I'm a little worried? Any accepted students who are in the same boat?
I would give them a call on Monday; they've been very helpful over the phone

Same boat

So CTE is tomorrow.... i hope there will be movement then! No one has reported getting accepted since medadmissions confirmed the waitlist was still moving.. Buckle up alternate listers!!

• Love
So CTE is tomorrow.... i hope there will be movement then! No one has reported getting accepted since medadmissions confirmed the waitlist was still moving.. Buckle up alternate listers!!
Good luck everyone! I hope at least some of us get off the AL :)