2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the people who are admitted but not from the area, are you guys waiting to see what they say about online vs. in-person before finding housing or just going for it? I'd obviously rather it be in person, but I'll feel like such a clown paying NYC rent just to commute from the bedroom to the living room.
i live in bk and i get the feeling that things are going to stay closed for a while longer still. it's sounding like the NYC DOE is preparing to continue k-12 remote in the fall so i wouldn't be surprised if higher ed also stays remote

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
congrats on your acceptance! when did you get the A? Were you waitlisted on 5/6 or 5/10? Thanks
thanks! got off alternate list on first week of june. excruciating wait but i bet there's still a lot more movement to come. and i bet everything with the admissions team has been pushed back by at least a month since they're operating remotely. totally unprecedented time period

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who are admitted but not from the area, are you guys waiting to see what they say about online vs. in-person before finding housing or just going for it? I'd obviously rather it be in person, but I'll feel like such a clown paying NYC rent just to commute from the bedroom to the living room.
I'm also OOS and not planning on finding a place in NYC until they announce! Gonna stay home until they tell me otherwise lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also OOS and not planning on finding a place in NYC until they announce! Gonna stay home until they tell me otherwise lol

try to find a place before july 15th so that you can be considered in-state next year. You would be saving thousands of dollars that way, probably more than you would by moving in later this year.

Anyone else get the pre-matric email with stuff not being complete but have already sent everything in? If you have documentation you sent all of the stuff in before the deadline you should be good right??

Anyone else get the pre-matric email with stuff not being complete but have already sent everything in? If you have documentation you sent all of the stuff in before the deadline you should be good right??

I think they just send that to everyone. No need to worry

yeah you should be good

They said in the email they sent it to everyone and if you have it all done you’re good

Reading "Dean's Welcome" on the pre-matric checklist portal as a WL applicant is sad .. :(

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone ever email for an application status update with the upcoming CTE deadlines

Apologizing in advance if this has already been answered

but if I were to commit to enroll to another school, am I automatically taken off of WL/consideration from SUNY Downstate?

Apologizing in advance if this has already been answered

but if I were to commit to enroll to another school, am I automatically taken off of WL/consideration from SUNY Downstate?
It says on the choose your medical school tool that selecting cte does not automatically remove you from waitlist consideration and you should till follow proper withdrawal procedure for downstate. Apparently not following proper CYMS rules may have negative consequences so I have heard.

Anyone accepted considering deferring a year because of COVID/online classes in the fall, or considering attending another school that is not as affected as downstate?
also, is there any way to know how many people are CTE vs PTE at a given school? It might give us a better idea of our chances of getting off the waitlist before classes start!

Anyone accepted considering deferring a year because of COVID/online classes in the fall, or considering attending another school that is not as affected as downstate?
also, is there any way to know how many people are CTE vs PTE at a given school? It might give us a better idea of our chances of getting off the waitlist before classes start!

There are 176 students or so on the FB page(I excluded admins) for a class size of ~200.

Hope this helps!

When you finally submit the health forms and the admissions tell you that AL people don't need to have it complete by July 1st.. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It says on the choose your medical school tool that selecting cte does not automatically remove you from waitlist consideration and you should till follow proper withdrawal procedure for downstate. Apparently not following proper CYMS rules may have negative consequences so I have heard.
This is wrong. The moment you CTE at another school Downstate will send an email to you stating according to a recent AMCAS report you chose another school yada yada. Basically notifying you’ve been kicked off the waitlist.

Is anyone else waiting for the office of Student Health Services to confirm receipt of your compiled health forms? I sent mine in over a week ago and haven't received a response email. Assuming they've just been really busy given the 7/1 deadline

Is anyone else waiting for the office of Student Health Services to confirm receipt of your compiled health forms? I sent mine in over a week ago and haven't received a response email. Assuming they've just been really busy given the 7/1 deadline

I sent them a follow up email and got mine checked a few hrs later

Yea. I emailed them and they said they got it but it takes time to review and we’ll be fine before the deadline as long as we submitted it prior to July 1.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone asked them about the waitlist movement recently? Whether it is still going on slowly or stopped

Also seeing the previous FB groups had 230~250 members including 5-6 admins, I hope there are that many more spots left over :(

Has anyone asked them about the waitlist movement recently? Whether it is still going on slowly or stopped

Also seeing the previous FB groups had 230~250 members including 5-6 admins, I hope there are that many more spots left over :(
Hoping for that July 1 wave? No? Just me? ....

Reactions: 4 users
So after going through some threads, it seems last year there were only reported waitlist rejections at the start of July and no other reported news. However, the year before, people reported acceptances in mid July. So while the chances are slim, there is still hope.

My gut is telling me that I will eventually get off the waitlist at downstate, but my gut has not been historically reliable. I need to stop tricking myself into wishful thinking but I want to get off so bad :’( At this point, im sure everyone on the waitlist is more than qualified to succeed here, and it probably only comes down to fit... UGH!!!! this patience game is harder than the MCAT

Reactions: 5 users
My gut is telling me that I will eventually get off the waitlist at downstate, but my gut has not been historically reliable. I need to stop tricking myself into wishful thinking but I want to get off so bad At this point, im sure everyone on the waitlist is more than qualified to succeed here, and it probably only comes down to fit... UGH!!!! this patience game is harder than the MCAT

Same. I have a gut feeling about downstate too but my gut has proven to be wrong several times throughout this cycle so I don’t know how much to trust it lol

my friend applied to dental school and got in off two waitlists a week before classes started so there is still some hope guys!!! we can do it i believe in us :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
does anyone have a prediction for when the next sprinkle of decisions will be?

nobody can really predict, even the committee... my guess (which is just that, a guess) is that the next sprinkle will happen right around the CTE date of july 15th, maybe a couple days before, maybe a couple days after

Definitely after the CTE date. which is in 2 weeks. Maybe some before then if they decide to revoke acceptances from people lagging behind on the matric list.

Oh I didn’t even think of that. I wonder how many spots they’ll have left to fill after the CTE deadline passes

I think there will be a wave of alternate list rejection very soon because as more people commit, the less there is a need to have an extensive waitlist. Basically, there is no point in having 30 people on the waitlist if 190 people are already committed (those are random numbers just to illustrate a point). Thoughts?

I think there will be a wave of alternate list rejection very soon because as more people commit, the less there is a need to have an extensive waitlist. Basically, there is no point in having 30 people on the waitlist if 190 people are already committed (those are random numbers just to illustrate a point). Thoughts?
Do they send out post alt list rejections?

Just withdrew from the alternate list. SUNY Downstate was my dream school for the past couple of years but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Really grateful to have found such a supportive thread throughout this insanely stressful process. Rooting for you all!

Reactions: 12 users
Hey guys, long-time lurker on the Alt List here lol
Anyone else still not have the Health Forms checked off on the Pre-Matric Checklist? Student Health confirmed receipt a few days ago but I'm worried even though I know the July 1 deadline isn't strict

Hey guys, long-time lurker on the Alt List here lol
Anyone else still not have the Health Forms checked off on the Pre-Matric Checklist? Student Health confirmed receipt a few days ago but I'm worried even though I know the July 1 deadline isn't strict

they usually take long (for me, it was about 2 weeks, after they confirmed they received the documents. I had some titers missing (sent after 10 days), which haven't checked off yet. Transcripts was sent >3weeks ago, and still not checked off. I sent the email, they said it could take longer due to remotely working!

Just got info about housing, seems like there might be some in-person components for M1 since they're giving housing assignments and they said they're working on orientation details, but they didn't explicitly say what is going online or in-person so I guess we'll still have to wait for an official announcement.

Did they respond to anyone emails about an impending CTE dates and offer any feedback or just say no WL movement

Did they respond to anyone emails about an impending CTE dates and offer any feedback or just say no WL movement

They say no WL movement and remain vague. Then they even said, if you want to withdraw go to the portal and select the option to withdraw

• Wow