2019-2020 Texas Tech, El Paso

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
low 100s is what the dean said. She said its "not a big waitlist" and expects more turnaround this year cause of UHCOM and its free tuition.

So do you think the info posted on MSAR is incorrect? MSAR has 8-10 people put on waitlist and 8 were accepted off the waitlist. I know each year is different so numbers will vary, but low 100’s is a big difference.

also for the dean to say a waitlist of 100 is not big makes me wonder if that number was thrown out there because they don’t want to disclose exact numbers? Thoughts?
 
So do you think the info posted on MSAR is incorrect? MSAR has 8-10 people put on waitlist and 8 were accepted off the waitlist. I know each year is different so numbers will vary, but low 100’s is a big difference.

also for the dean to say a waitlist of 100 is not big makes me wonder if that number was thrown out there because they don’t want to disclose exact numbers? Thoughts?
MSAR is for sure incorrect. A waitlist of just 8-10 people is unheard of. I think MSAR got it confused with accepting about 8-10 people that particular year. That information in MSAR about WL is years old as well. It's not updated and has been used since like 2015. The dean did say she didn't know the number (WL) off the top of her head and was estimating cause she didn't know exact numbers. She said it does vary each year with how many people get off the list and it depends on how many schools are in each cycle with them so she said one year almost 30 people got pulled off and then she expects this year to have similar turnaround cause of UHCOM opening up in Houston and how that shifts everyone in Texas.

When I had my one-on-one with one of the admissions staff I never mentioned that I was on the WL cause I didn't want to seem desperate, but she mentioned it to me TWICE. She said the first time she hopes to see me this fall if I come off the waitlist and had my rank in my application profile in front of her. Then before I left she basically said the same thing again and said she hopes to see me this fall in the class or at interviews again if I don't come off. I really don't know if she was giving me false hope & I hope she wasn't cause I feel like if I was low on the WL she wouldn't even have mentioned it and would've given me more advice on how to improve my app. Also, she could've been being nice to me but like idk because she mentioned it twice and it would be unfortunate if she was giving me false hope haha.

Anyways, she basically said everyone who interviews looks great on paper (649 interviewed out of the 4000 apps they got) and the interview basically determines for the most part if you get in or not (which is subjective based on each interviewer). But, yea we're all ranked on the alternate list and they said once the numbers dwindle down towards 108, they will make moves off the alternate list. So, I'm sure the end of March is when we can expect a little movement and a lot towards the end of April and early May! Don't lose hope!!! WL movement will happen regardless. Just keep your head up and distract yourself until you hopefully get that phone call you got off the WL! : )
 
MSAR is for sure incorrect. A waitlist of just 8-10 people is unheard of. I think MSAR got it confused with accepting about 8-10 people that particular year. That information in MSAR about WL is years old as well. It's not updated and has been used since like 2015. The dean did say she didn't know the number (WL) off the top of her head and was estimating cause she didn't know exact numbers. She said it does vary each year with how many people get off the list and it depends on how many schools are in each cycle with them so she said one year almost 30 people got pulled off and then she expects this year to have similar turnaround cause of UHCOM opening up in Houston and how that shifts everyone in Texas.

When I had my one-on-one with one of the admissions staff I never mentioned that I was on the WL cause I didn't want to seem desperate, but she mentioned it to me TWICE. She said the first time she hopes to see me this fall if I come off the waitlist and had my rank in my application profile in front of her. Then before I left she basically said the same thing again and said she hopes to see me this fall in the class or at interviews again if I don't come off. I really don't know if she was giving me false hope & I hope she wasn't cause I feel like if I was low on the WL she wouldn't even have mentioned it and would've given me more advice on how to improve my app. Also, she could've been being nice to me but like idk because she mentioned it twice and it would be unfortunate if she was giving me false hope haha.

Anyways, she basically said everyone who interviews looks great on paper (649 interviewed out of the 4000 apps they got) and the interview basically determines for the most part if you get in or not (which is subjective based on each interviewer). But, yea we're all ranked on the alternate list and they said once the numbers dwindle down towards 108, they will make moves off the alternate list. So, I'm sure the end of March is when we can expect a little movement and a lot towards the end of April and early May! Don't lose hope!!! WL movement will happen regardless. Just keep your head up and distract yourself until you hopefully get that phone call you got off the WL! : )

Thanks for the info! The more and more time goes on I feel like PLFSOM gives out false hope haha both my interviews went really well and comments were made that I would be a great fit for the school along with letting me know they will see me in the fall...but I got WL sooo haha my hopes were let down! But for now just have to be patient
 
MSAR is for sure incorrect. A waitlist of just 8-10 people is unheard of. I think MSAR got it confused with accepting about 8-10 people that particular year. That information in MSAR about WL is years old as well. It's not updated and has been used since like 2015. The dean did say she didn't know the number (WL) off the top of her head and was estimating cause she didn't know exact numbers. She said it does vary each year with how many people get off the list and it depends on how many schools are in each cycle with them so she said one year almost 30 people got pulled off and then she expects this year to have similar turnaround cause of UHCOM opening up in Houston and how that shifts everyone in Texas.

When I had my one-on-one with one of the admissions staff I never mentioned that I was on the WL cause I didn't want to seem desperate, but she mentioned it to me TWICE. She said the first time she hopes to see me this fall if I come off the waitlist and had my rank in my application profile in front of her. Then before I left she basically said the same thing again and said she hopes to see me this fall in the class or at interviews again if I don't come off. I really don't know if she was giving me false hope & I hope she wasn't cause I feel like if I was low on the WL she wouldn't even have mentioned it and would've given me more advice on how to improve my app. Also, she could've been being nice to me but like idk because she mentioned it twice and it would be unfortunate if she was giving me false hope haha.

Anyways, she basically said everyone who interviews looks great on paper (649 interviewed out of the 4000 apps they got) and the interview basically determines for the most part if you get in or not (which is subjective based on each interviewer). But, yea we're all ranked on the alternate list and they said once the numbers dwindle down towards 108, they will make moves off the alternate list. So, I'm sure the end of March is when we can expect a little movement and a lot towards the end of April and early May! Don't lose hope!!! WL movement will happen regardless. Just keep your head up and distract yourself until you hopefully get that phone call you got off the WL! : )

Also if they interviewed 649 this year and accepted 123 from match day, does that mean the rest of the pool got WL? That would leave around 525 on WL. Just wondering because I haven't heard of anyone being denied, only accepted prematch, match day, and then WL notifications. Thoughts on this?
 
Also if they interviewed 649 this year and accepted 123 from match day, does that mean the rest of the pool got WL? That would leave around 525 on WL. Just wondering because I haven't heard of anyone being denied, only accepted prematch, match day, and then WL notifications. Thoughts on this?
No, you also have to remember that a lot of people who interviewed here got into their choice above this school when they ranked it higher than PLFSOM for Match Day which takes them out of consideration for this school. Plus, I'm sure a lot of people pre-matched and then declined so that takes them off too. She assured us the WL wasn't big!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I guess that one reddit post I saw of someone getting in from the WL was old or just incorrect. I had my suspicions so I emailed Ms. Olivas, and she said there has been ZERO WL movement. She confirmed that no one has been accepted off of it. Idk if that's a good or bad thing. Either way, I'm starting to do my new application and am assuming I won't get off the WL. Best of luck to all of us! : )
 
Hi everyone. I guess that one reddit post I saw of someone getting in from the WL was old or just incorrect. I had my suspicions so I emailed Ms. Olivas, and she said there has been ZERO WL movement. She confirmed that no one has been accepted off of it. Idk if that's a good or bad thing. Either way, I'm starting to do my new application and am assuming I won't get off the WL. Best of luck to all of us! : )
There will be some,guys, Hang on!
Edited because I posted on wrong page
 
Hello! Asking for advice- from reddit, and Facebook groups- I’ve noticed a few people withdrawing. 93 people are on the Facebook group... so first question, how many people are they accepting in the class 108? That being said, someone said that NOBODY has been taken off waitlist... so would that be a good thing or bad? Clearly bad because none of us have gotten off. I’ve already prepared my app... should I wait or just hit submit?
 
Hello! Asking for advice- from reddit, and Facebook groups- I’ve noticed a few people withdrawing. 93 people are on the Facebook group... so first question, how many people are they accepting in the class 108? That being said, someone said that NOBODY has been taken off waitlist... so would that be a good thing or bad? Clearly bad because none of us have gotten off. I’ve already prepared my app... should I wait or just hit submit?

I'm wondering if they are going to wait before or after May 15th (last day to offer an acceptance for TMDSAS to someone who already has an acceptance). Lol after that then I'd plan on submitting again.
 
Hello! Asking for advice- from reddit, and Facebook groups- I’ve noticed a few people withdrawing. 93 people are on the Facebook group... so first question, how many people are they accepting in the class 108? That being said, someone said that NOBODY has been taken off waitlist... so would that be a good thing or bad? Clearly bad because none of us have gotten off. I’ve already prepared my app... should I wait or just hit submit?
I'm wondering if they are going to wait before or after May 15th (last day to offer an acceptance for TMDSAS to someone who already has an acceptance). Lol after that then I'd plan on submitting again.
Ms. Olivas said as soon as a spot opens they would contact someone. I don't think they will wait till after a date; at least that's the impression she gave me. I also think that if you're re-applying to just make sure not to rush it and take your time. Apps don't even transmit till June 1st to the schools anyway. We also have to remember that they accepted 123 people to their class. They are waiting for it to reach below 108 to start sending WL acceptances. I don't know if other schools like UTMB, Long, etc did that, because they had really early WL acceptances so Im sure PLFSOM is one of the only ones who accepted more than their maximum seats. I really feel like they accepted more people than their class size to compensate for people declining acceptances. That is why it is taking a while to hear from the WL because 16 people have to decline.

No matter what, people WILL be accepted off the WL. It may be less than 10 people or it may be more. The new U of H medical school still is sending out acceptances and other med schools in texas will continue to offer Wl positions which will shift around some things to open more spots at PLFSOM. Just prepare to re-apply regardless. I personally do not think I am high enough on the WL (cause of my luck and because I thought I would match since I thought I killed my interviews but I guess I didn't), so I am fully re-vamping my app. Anyways, just don't put all your eggs in one basket hoping for a WL acceptance, because we have no idea what will happen especially with COVID playing a role in how people decide as well. Goodluck to us all. No matter what, we will all get to where we need to. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ms. Olivas said as soon as a spot opens they would contact someone. I don't think they will wait till after a date; at least that's the impression she gave me. I also think that if you're re-applying to just make sure not to rush it and take your time. Apps don't even transmit till June 1st to the schools anyway. We also have to remember that they accepted 123 people to their class. They are waiting for it to reach below 108 to start sending WL acceptances. I don't know if other schools like UTMB, Long, etc did that, because they had really early WL acceptances so Im sure PLFSOM is one of the only ones who accepted more than their maximum seats. I really feel like they accepted more people than their class size to compensate for people declining acceptances. That is why it is taking a while to hear from the WL because 16 people have to decline.

No matter what, people WILL be accepted off the WL. It may be less than 10 people or it may be more. The new U of H medical school still is sending out acceptances and other med schools in texas will continue to offer Wl positions which will shift around some things to open more spots at PLFSOM. Just prepare to re-apply regardless. I personally do not think I am high enough on the WL (cause of my luck and because I thought I would match since I thought I killed my interviews but I guess I didn't), so I am fully re-vamping my app. Anyways, just don't put all your eggs in one basket hoping for a WL acceptance, because we have no idea what will happen especially with COVID playing a role in how people decide as well. Goodluck to us all. No matter what, we will all get to where we need to. 🙂

This was so wonderfully written! And yes I agree completely. 🙂
 
I saw two people leave the FB group friday then I saw 2 people join monday. Then one left today. So idk what that means cause people who matched couldve barley joined. Also it could be upperclassmen joining so who knows anything...but no havent heard anything
 
also just fyi, from the PLFSOM Facebook group I know at least 2 people who left sometime last week, but it seems like 2 people have replaced them on 5/11/2020.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! If you don't mind me asking, how many people are in the facebook group minus the moderators?
 
At this point, does anybody think that there will be any WL movement? or is it time to hang up the towel on this past cycle?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve tried to call the admission office time and time again. I don’t think anyone is working there at the moment which may translate to delayed decisions. Hope this helps!
@Calci96 Remember that many office personnel may be working from home. While they can't answer a phone, they are likely to be responding to emails, so try your communication that way and put your reason for contact succinctly in the subject line.