2019-2020 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is UCD receptive to LOIs? Don’t recall from the interview since I feel like it was so long ago.
No, they don’t accept any letters of update/intent

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is UCD receptive to LOIs? Don’t recall from the interview since I feel like it was so long ago.

I was placed on the waitlist. When they emailed me to notify me that I was being placed on the waitlist they reminded me that they don’t accept LOIs or updates :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess they have started sending out interviews for scholarly pathways to WL'ed applicants. Received on this morning.

May I ask which one you got it from??

I am waiting for the central valley one. ‍♀️

May I ask which one you got it from??

I am waiting for the central valley one. ‍♀
I had selected Rural, Teach, and Reach pathways when I submitted my secondary.

My email stated that my interview will be for Rural and Reach.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have some suggestions to prepare for the PRIME interview?

Would be grateful for any advise.

I think they get back to some of the WL people this week.

Got an email today saying that they expect to make acceptance offers this week until July.

Reactions: 3 users
If this year is any like last year, they will accept ppl off the WL on the first week of May and the last week of May. Good luck everyone. I’m really hoping we all get good news this month. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m equally as interested to know if we will also be getting rejections. I would hope they do.

Has anyone waitlisted gotten the call by any chance?
I'm just waiting next to my phone every hour...

Reactions: 4 users
Same. Just waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist. Received a call at 12:54! Will be accepting it and withdrawing from my other acceptance.

Reactions: 10 users
When I reflect back at undergrad I always think it wasnt too bad. I often forget the times I would cry about P.chem.

I hope this process is the same! Haha.

Got the call yesterday! Super excited to be an aggie again! Hopefully I hear back from the prime program soon.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all! Can accepted students please share a bit about their financial aid packages? Is there need-based aid or is it just loans? I am on the waitlist, but curious about this since I have a scholarship to another school

Hey all! Can accepted students please share a bit about their financial aid packages? Is there need-based aid or is it just loans? I am on the waitlist, but curious about this since I have a scholarship to another school
Same exact situation here, would they offer around 8k in need based aid to a waitlisted, in state applicant?

For scholarships it is a combination of need and MMI performance.

The idea of waitlisted applicants getting scholarships still confuses me . Not necessarily regarding davis but other schools too.

The idea of waitlisted applicants getting scholarships still confuses me . Not necessarily regarding davis but other schools too.

Why? Do you think schools give out all institutional aid out in the beginning? Are you not accounting for the fact that people giving up their seats later in the game may have had aid? Or that sometimes a school needs a specific type of person from the waitlist to fill a seat that just emptied so they might entice them with a scholarship? There's a bunch of possibilities.

Why? Do you think schools give out all institutional aid out in the beginning? Are you not accounting for the fact that people giving up their seats later in the game may have had aid? Or that sometimes a school needs a specific type of person from the waitlist to fill a seat that just emptied so they might entice them with a scholarship? There's a bunch of possibilities.
I understand that principle of people giving up their seat, but then if the claim that “MMI scores” is a factor then presumably merit wise the successor of that withdrawn student would be another straight accepted applicant as opposed to a waitlisted applicant. The only thing I can see is need based aid, in the case of a waitlist-> admit being similarly qualified but more needing of aid.
I think your last point is something I didn’t consider, and sounds suspicious but unfortunately probable.
Nonetheless, though it doesn’t make sense on face value. I appreciate that there are factors i’m not thinking of.

Last edited:
I understand that principle of people giving up their seat, but then if the claim that “MMI scores” is a factor then presumably merit wise the successor of that withdrawn student would be another straight accepted applicant as opposed to a waitlisted applicant. The only thing I can see is need based aid, in the case of a waitlist-> admit being similarly qualified but more needing of aid.
I think your last point is something I didn’t consider, and sounds suspicious but unfortunately probable.
Nonetheless, though it doesn’t make sense on face value. I appreciate that there are factors i’m not thinking of.

As someone who was recently accepted from the WL, they just offered me a scholarship. Hopefully that helps clarify things for some of you guys.

As someone who was recently accepted from the WL, they just offered me a scholarship. Hopefully that helps clarify things for some of you guys.

just to clarify, did you complete the additional supplemental financial aid documents while on the WL? Or did you just submit fafsa? Also, congratulations!

Definitely helpful info , thank you and congratulations!

just to clarify, did you complete the additional supplemental financial aid documents while on the WL? Or did you just submit fafsa? Also, congratulations!

I submitted fasfa back in October when it first opened. I submitted the supplemental financial aid document today tho Since I received info today regarding that. I haven’t submitted documents directly to the school.

I think during the revisit day they also mentioned GPA and MCAT score contributed to scholarship awards as well.

Hey, just curious, did you get offered the scholarship in the same phone call when they accepted you off the waitlist? Or did you hear about it from an email later?

Hey, just curious, did you get offered the scholarship in the same phone call when they accepted you off the waitlist? Or did you hear about it from an email later?

It was a separate email about a day later. The phone call was just about the acceptance.

For people currently on the waitlist: 12 new students were added to the Facebook group today, so there has been a lot of movement. Hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
For people currently on the waitlist: 12 new students were added to the Facebook group today, so there has been a lot of movement. Hang in there!

thanks for the update! i cant tell if thats encouraging or not for those of us still waiting given that is a ton of movement...i just hope its the beginning of an even bigger movement haha

• Haha
thanks for the update! i cant tell if thats encouraging or not for those of us still waiting given that is a ton of movement...i just hope its the beginning of an even bigger movement haha

It just means you are higher up on the list now.

• Love
does Davis accept reapplicants? Anyone here with a reapplicant success story?

Yes. Most, if not all, schools do. It's less about being a reapplicant and more about having a solid app when you do apply. Meaning I don't think simply being a reapplicant will keep you out of any school. If you're reapplying, your application needs to be solid to increase your change of acceptance.

Yes and yes. I was a reapplicant this cycle, and last cycle UC Davis did not send me a secondary. This time around, I received a secondary, received an interview invite, and then was accepted without being placed on the waitlist. A complete 180. It would seem being a reapplicant did not hurt me at Davis.

So, what did I change between cycles? I increased clinical experience, was able to include a publication on my primary which was submitted last cycle before the paper was accepted (This publication was co-authored with a faculty member at the School of Medicine, but Davis does not accept updates, so last cycle they did not know about this publication). I did not change my MCAT score or GPA (nothing spectacular for either, but competitive enough). I also rewrote my personal statement.

Additionally, for what it's worth (and in this case, it may have been worth a lot), I have some close ties to the faculty. Some of my letters of recommendation were from faculty/high up people at the UC Davis Medical Center (due to my research experience). One of these letters I did not have in my first application, so it was another thing I added.

So, my situation may be a little unique (or not) in that I have close ties to UC Davis (and, some family lives nearby). Not sure how it would be as a reapplicant without significant ties to the area.

Hope this helps. Best of luck next cycle, or best of luck on your waitlist(s)!

Yes and yes. I was a reapplicant this cycle, and last cycle UC Davis did not send me a secondary. This time around, I received a secondary, received an interview invite, and then was accepted without being placed on the waitlist. A complete 180. It would seem being a reapplicant did not hurt me at Davis.

So, what did I change between cycles? I increased clinical experience, was able to include a publication on my primary which was submitted last cycle before the paper was accepted (This publication was co-authored with a faculty member at the School of Medicine, but Davis does not accept updates, so last cycle they did not know about this publication). I did not change my MCAT score or GPA (nothing spectacular for either, but competitive enough). I also rewrote my personal statement.

Additionally, for what it's worth (and in this case, it may have been worth a lot), I have some close ties to the faculty. Some of my letters of recommendation were from faculty/high up people at the UC Davis Medical Center (due to my research experience). One of these letters I did not have in my first application, so it was another thing I added.

So, my situation may be a little unique (or not) in that I have close ties to UC Davis (and, some family lives nearby). Not sure how it would be as a reapplicant without significant ties to the area.

Thank you!!!!!!

Sounds like a multifactorial turnaround—no one thing got you in; instead, like an emergent property, it arose from Many very good things

Got the call today! Accepted off the waitlist. Interviewed for Rural-PRIME last week while still on the waitlist.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off the waitlist but will be withdrawing due to having a better financial offer elsewhere... amazing school though, and congrats to everyone accepted!!

Thank you!!!!!!
FWIW, I was also a reapplicant. I interviewed at UC Davis the previous cycle, was put on the waitlist and then rejected in July. This year I interviewed there later in the season and then was accepted about two weeks after my interview.
The biggest changes I made were increased clinical experience, some new letters of recommendation, and new service activities, as well as rewriting everything.

I don’t have any particular ties to UC Davis other than being a CA resident.
It is possible, so good luck and don’t give up!

Reactions: 2 users