2019-2020 UC San Francisco

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this also hold for MSTP applicants as well? Or do MSTP people get screened separately?
No idea. Why don't you call and ask?

Members don't see this ad.

I called UCSF last week. They release secondaries in order of primary receipt in almost all cases. They are currently up to around 7/15 7/16 or so. Relax.....!

ETA: this is what the woman told me and it has been holding true so far.
Interesting... my primaries went out late june I think? I was verified 6/1. I only got my secondary a week ago

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I called UCSF last week. They release secondaries in order of primary receipt in almost all cases. They are currently up to around 7/15 7/16 or so. Relax.....!

Ummm does that mean rejection if my primary was done mid June...?

I was complete at the end of July so... here's to hoping that my secondary even gets to me before September lol

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received just now!!!! verified 7/17 <3

Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprised they are already sending IIs! MSAR says they start sending them out Sept. 1st, so I had mentally prepared myself to be patient waiting for them to get back. This is one of my top choices, and I am sure it is for many others as well. Hoping for a sweet sweet II soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users

Thank you for your input! I am still waiting for Secondary. My primary was verified on 7/19.

Warning incredibly neurotic question:

Is receiving a UCSF secondary a good litmus test for your primary app? I felt like I had a good shot at getting in somewhere and applied broadly to 35 schools with secondaries all in by early August and have yet to receive an interview invite anywhere. I know it’s early but it’s making me worried seeing other applicants receiving so many interviews so early on and not yet hearing back from a single school. Not trying to come off entitled or anything, just getting anxious that I’m going to go through this whole cycle without an interview.

Is receiving a UCSF secondary a good litmus test for your primary app? I felt like I had a good shot at getting in somewhere and applied broadly to 35 schools with secondaries all in by early August and have yet to receive an interview invite anywhere. I know it’s early but it’s making me worried seeing other applicants receiving so many interviews so early on and not yet hearing back from a single school. Not trying to come off entitled or anything, just getting anxious that I’m going to go through this whole cycle without an interview.

It's a good start. I guess, you can say you've gone past the first leg of the race, but won't tell the entire story because a good portion of those who received a secondary will not get interviews.

I think it's best not to worry that much... I'm in a similar situation as you with 52x/3.9x and I have yet to hear anything (good or bad) despite being done with almost all apps by end of July, although I have received UCSF, and the other "screening" schools as well. I think that perhaps there is nothing in our applications that would result in them being given a "priority" read, but that the applications are still solid and we'll hear soon enough :)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I think it's best not to worry that much... I'm in a similar situation as you with 520/3.9x and I have yet to hear anything (good or bad) despite being done with almost all apps by end of July, although I have received UCSF, and the other "screening" schools as well. I think that perhaps there is nothing in our applications that would result in them being given a "priority" read, but that the applications are still solid and we'll hear soon enough :)
Are you me lol?

Embryonal take your angry reacts somewhere else, pal

• Angry
Maybe... I was complete July 13 and got my secondary a few days ago. What your stats?
My stats are gonna explain it 509/3.7 but I’m a PhD with a 4 year postdoc under my belt. Hoping that gets me there but I’m starting to understand that they give the first secondaries to IS and the highest stat applicants. So I’m just gonna have to wait...no rejection yet so I can hope!

OMG II!!!!! I can't believe this. IS Complete 7/18

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
II today! should we always be trying to schedule at the soonest available dates?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Kind of in your boat too. You're not alone. Long gone are the days of high stat applicants lol
I’ve gotten a few II but ya I agree seeing all these other people posting about II gives me severe anxiety.

Lolol I’m just saying the process of waiting and reading all these threads is anxiety inducing.
With that, I agree. I can only imagine the anxiety people w/ 0 II but great stats have at this point.

I think everybody has schools they really want to go to and when we get a notification on SDN our hearts drop a bit haha

And you are reborn every Monday, anxiously awaiting the possibility of a new week granting you IIs...lol
I legit have more fun looking forward to weekdays than the weekend.

And you are reborn every Monday, anxiously awaiting the possibility of a new week granting you IIs...lol
The only thing keeping me alive is that i was complete late july/early august. However by next week i will start the daily crying

Still haven’t gotten a secondary. Verified 7/17. Am I screwed? I have an II at another school. Given that I’m assuming I would at least make the secondary cut here?

Still haven’t gotten a secondary. Verified 7/17. Am I screwed? I have an II at another school. Given that I’m assuming I would at least make the secondary cut here?
n=1 but I was verified before the first wave of primaries were transmitted to schools in late June, didn’t get a secondary until 7/31. Might just take some time since they’re known to pre-screen heavily.

Just received my secondary!

Primary app verified on 6/24 and submitted on 7/18.

• Love