2019-2020 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take y’all to receive your UW NetID credentials? They told us it’d be 4-6 weeks to receive it, and it’s been 5 weeks for me (still waiting). I’m trying to be patient since April 30th rolled around and there’s been lots of movement, but just wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take y’all to receive your UW NetID credentials? They told us it’d be 4-6 weeks to receive it, and it’s been 5 weeks for me (still waiting). I’m trying to be patient since April 30th rolled around and there’s been lots of movement, but just wondering...

Yeah it was a good 6 weeks for me I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current med students comment on what resources are available at UWSOM Seattle for students who have a baby during med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone see the most recent email? Looks like we will be doing some kind of mixture of online and in person

Reactions: 2 users
Did everyone see the most recent email? Looks like we will be doing some kind of mixture of online and in person

I saw that too...hope we'll get some more explanation, but I know its all dependent on how the covid situation keeps developing. Like are we going to have the 2-week in-person orientation in August? Who knows yet I guess...

I saw on a premed facebook group that many med schools are instituting summer reading on anti-racism for incoming med students. When I checked out the link, it turns out it is a UWSOM program (previously developed) with NYU adaptations. I haven't heard anything that UWSOM is actually requiring it, but thought you all might be interested.

1591275710355.png

Follow-up: I DM'd Liz to see if she knows whether UWSOM will be sending out some official messaging about this to incoming students :) Also emailed UWSOM directly about it. Will let you know what i hear.

Sounds like we should all check out Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century by Dorothy Roberts and prepare for discussion groups in orientation!

Reactions: 1 users
It's been 7 weeks since getting accepted, and still no UW NetID...should I contact the admissions office at this point?

Follow-up: I DM'd Liz to see if she knows whether UWSOM will be sending out some official messaging about this to incoming students :) Also emailed UWSOM directly about it. Will let you know what i hear.

Sounds like we should all check out Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century by Dorothy Roberts and prepare for discussion groups in orientation!

So I heard back from UW--they said this summer E20 students will be reading How to Be an Antiracist to discuss at orientation.

Reactions: 2 users
Does uwsom have a white coat ceremony?

Yes but it sounds like it may end up being online, which makes me really sad. I was really looking forward to my dad and fiance attending with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes but it sounds like it may end up being online, which makes me really sad. I was really looking forward to my dad and fiance attending with me.
they made it sounds like it would be on a cohort by cohort basis. Some of the smaller ones may be able to have theirs

Oh interesting... is it suppose to be during our immersion?

Oh interesting... is it suppose to be during our immersion?

Yes at the end of orientation. Student Affairs yesterday said the Seattle white coat ceremony will be Sept 4, early afternoon (can't remember exact time, maybe 1pm), online. I'm bummed it won't be in person, but obv bad idea in this day and age.

Seattle and Spokane folks: Did y'all get your orientation schedules?

Schedule is Monday, Thursday, Friday 1-5. Wednesday 8-12. This varies based on site but I think Seattle is the only site with lecture on tuesday instead of wednesday. Tuesday/Thursday Hospital mornings are 8-12 (only one of those days every other week) but can vary with time based on the attending. Most lectures are optional. Anatomy Lab is not of course. People sometimes do some volunteer stuff outside of class but this is typically minimal as the adjustment to school can be quite steep. They actually discourage you from doing a bunch of stuff in the first couple blocks to make sure you stay on top of your classes.

following up on this question, when are exams usually? Are they generally on Fridays or do they vary? Also, it seems like lecture 4 days a week + 1 day where we are with a mentor/hospital.. trying to see which day of the week is least stressful haha

following up on this question, when are exams usually? Are they generally on Fridays or do they vary? Also, it seems like lecture 4 days a week + 1 day where we are with a mentor/hospital.. trying to see which day of the week is least stressful haha
Depends on the block but for the first 2, exams are all on mondays if I remember correctly. However I think the finals are on fridays.

Thank you for the info. How often do peer based learning discussions happen?

I assume you're referring to like case based discussions? Those will start in I&D and are every day you have lecture typically. Once systems start in January, that's when you typically have 2 hours of lecture and 2 hours of cases.

Exams are every week?

Pretty much for the first 2 blocks though there may be some variation. It depends on the block. In CPR, exams were every 2 weeks but E&H were every week.

Has anyone else seen the Physicianhood Review assignment? There is something about it on Canvas for us to upload by 8/26 (i think) but no instructions...,

Has anyone else seen the Physicianhood Review assignment? There is something about it on Canvas for us to upload by 8/26 (i think) but no instructions...,

Yeah I saw that. I took it to mean write down your own reflections and be prepared to discuss them with your mentor. Not a graded thing, just part of orientation.

I keep wondering when we are going to get an orientation schedule...