2019-2020 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder what that will be mean for students who were relocating to their foundation sites. I hope if it goes online we can do our work from anywhere.

Good question. A few of my classmates are doing everything from home and not at their foundation sites right now to just be with family. I suspect UW is currently working through a multitude of scenarios to figure out what is best for the students and faculty. I'm sure they'll be in contact with y'all to let you know what the plan is as the situation unfolds.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. A few of my classmates are doing everything from home and not at their foundation sites right now to just be with family. I suspect UW is currently working through a multitude of scenarios to figure out what is best for the students and faculty. I'm sure they'll be in contact with y'all to let you know what the plan is as the situation unfolds.
I doubt they will be online wwami states are ahead of the covid curve and we have until August

I doubt they will be online wwami states are ahead of the covid curve and we have until August

I hope so. Could be back in person for a couple months and then go back to online if we have a second wave. It's tough to tell what will happen when flu season hits. Either way, UW will be prepared. They've done incredible work so far with not only COVID but making quick decisions for our curriculum in these unprecedented times.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think the WWAMI foundation sites will be allowed to choose whether or not to be online individually? I had assumed the schools would act in a uniform fashion for all foundation sites.

Last edited:
Do you think the WWAMI foundation sites will be allowed to choose whether or not to be online individually? I had assumed the schools would act in a uniform fashion for all foundation sites.
Highly likely all will do the same thing

2 alternates accepted to Seattle so far! I’m hopeful :)

Reactions: 2 users
#1 from AK has been accepted!!! Aaaaahhh, I’m so excited!! It’s been such a long wait and now it’s a reality!! :clap::love::soexcited:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is there an E-2020 AK WWAMI FB group? Finally created a FB, so may as well ask..

I wonder what that will be mean for students who were relocating to their foundation sites. I hope if it goes online we can do our work from anywhere.
I hope it’s not from home; I just went under contract on my house. Packing up the fam and all of our things to move hundreds of miles away next month. If we could have stayed in our house I will be so upset. Moving from a quiet town and nice neighborhood to a small college town and small townhouse isn’t the most fun! But I’ve made enough sacrifices this far, a few more won’t hurt. Hope everyone stays well!!

I hope it’s not from home; I just went under contract on my house. Packing up the fam and all of our things to move hundreds of miles away next month. If we could have stayed in our house I will be so upset. Moving from a quiet town and nice neighborhood to a small college town and small townhouse isn’t the most fun! But I’ve made enough sacrifices this far, a few more won’t hurt. Hope everyone stays well!!

That is a fair concern. Although, we won’t be enrolled at Zoom U for all four years and you’d have to move nearby the school sometime. It might even be nice to move and get the kiddos settled in while things are a bit slower. Best of luck with the move!!!

Hey fam. I'm in an odd spot of being admitted to UW but have been placed in Seattle... even though my family, SO and community are here in Spokane. Have spoken with admissions and they tell me that they'll let me switch to Spokane if someone drops out of Spokane.

Is anyone on here admitted to Spokane but isn't planning to matriculate? If you would, will you just shoot me a PM so I can stop freaking out? It's been kinda stressful with the uncertainty hanging over me and it would be nice to know if someone's planning on dropping.
The past two years about 3-4 folks have come off the waitlist for the Spokane cohort so you should be good. I assume movement will happen on 4/30.

However, seems weird that they let you do this to begin with considering it will take a position from someone on the Spokane waitlist and give a position to another person on the Seattle waitlist. Like why even have two separate wait lists?

Hey fam. I'm in an odd spot of being admitted to UW but have been placed in Seattle... even though my family, SO and community are here in Spokane. Have spoken with admissions and they tell me that they'll let me switch to Spokane if someone drops out of Spokane.

Is anyone on here admitted to Spokane but isn't planning to matriculate? If you would, will you just shoot me a PM so I can stop freaking out? It's been kinda stressful with the uncertainty hanging over me and it would be nice to know if someone's planning on dropping.
Did admissions say if you could trade spots with someone in the Spokane cohort? I feel like you’d probably be able to find someone from the west side that’s on the fence about moving East whose willing to switch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any rejected Idaho applicants received the feedback form yet? Or for that matter from any of the WWAMI states?

That is a fair concern. Although, we won’t be enrolled at Zoom U for all four years and you’d have to move nearby the school sometime. It might even be nice to move and get the kiddos settled in while things are a bit slower. Best of luck with the move!!!

Anybody heard updates on this? I'm wondering if we will be able to have our 2-week orientation, or if we will just not start until fall quarter and it will be online. Trying to figure out how long I'm going to stay at my job (affects what kind of projects I take on over the next few months).

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody heard updates on this? I'm wondering if we will be able to have our 2-week orientation, or if we will just not start until fall quarter and it will be online. Trying to figure out how long I'm going to stay at my job (affects what kind of projects I take on over the next few months).

this is marginally helpful, but Dean Sayre in Spokane said he was ‘80% sure’ we’d be in person in the fall.

Does anybody know when financial aid actually kicks in? Like we start August 24, but will we have loan money (or other financial aid) actually distributed by then?

Does anybody know when financial aid actually kicks in? Like we start August 24, but will we have loan money (or other financial aid) actually distributed by then?

NM, I think I mostly answered my own question. Here is the E19 timeline for financial aid disbursement:

I’m in! #4 from the Idaho alternate list! @--Gem I assume this was your spot, so for that, I thank you!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just got the call! #25 off the waitlist!! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew from the Spokane cohort! Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all who were accepted today! Can anyone tell me if UW NetID setup emails are still taking a couple weeks after acceptance to go out? Thanks

Congrats to all who were accepted today! Can anyone tell me if UW NetID setup emails are still taking a couple weeks after acceptance to go out? Thanks

I think it is taking them a bit longer. I was lucky to get the call in January and still have not received the setup email.

Y
I think it is taking them a bit longer. I was lucky to get the call in January and still have not received the setup email.
You should call. I was accepted in February and received the information to set up my email and ID in March

#30 is off the waitlist. (Pending COVID-19 developments) I'll see y'all this fall :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Low 30's off waitlist!! (side note: anyone know why there's so much movement so fast this year? any commentary from students who turned down their acceptances?)

• Love
So according to the compliance checklist, we are to set up our NetID no later than June 12th - for those of us accepted off the waitlist recently, this deadline falls before the "4-6 weeks" estimate from acceptance. Hopefully they are speeding things up, seems a bit ridiculous that we can't even view financial aid for a month after getting accepted.

So according to the compliance checklist, we are to set up our NetID no later than June 12th - for those of us accepted off the waitlist recently, this deadline falls before the "4-6 weeks" estimate from acceptance. Hopefully they are speeding things up, seems a bit ridiculous that we can't even view financial aid for a month after getting accepted.
Don't they have to give us our financial aid in time for us to make the decision to attend (so 1 week)?

Does anyone know when class usually start? Is it usually 1~5 every day or does it differ? Does entering MS1 usually do anything in the morning (like volunteering, shadowing, other things outside of class that's required?)

Typically 1:30-5:30 with clinical experiences on certain mornings (about once a week)- either Hospital Morning of Primary Care Practicum. No required volunteering or shadowing, all of that is optional.

Does anyone know when class usually start? Is it usually 1~5 every day or does it differ? Does entering MS1 usually do anything in the morning (like volunteering, shadowing, other things outside of class that's required?)

Schedule is Monday, Thursday, Friday 1-5. Wednesday 8-12. This varies based on site but I think Seattle is the only site with lecture on tuesday instead of wednesday. Tuesday/Thursday Hospital mornings are 8-12 (only one of those days every other week) but can vary with time based on the attending. Most lectures are optional. Anatomy Lab is not of course. People sometimes do some volunteer stuff outside of class but this is typically minimal as the adjustment to school can be quite steep. They actually discourage you from doing a bunch of stuff in the first couple blocks to make sure you stay on top of your classes.

Can any current students comment on any news about possibly having the fall semester online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can any current students comment on any news about possibly having the fall semester online?

Honestly depends on how Seattle is doing with COVID. If they can't go in classroom, no one will. It should be site dependent but things go as Seattle goes...

I know its unrelated to UW but Harvard Med just announced its going online for fall. I am betting all med schools and higher education facilities will follow suit

• Wow
Can anyone older students comment on how online med school has been going for them?

Can anyone older students comment on how online med school has been going for them?

N=1 in Idaho cohort but it was a rough transition to not being able to go onto campus to study. I personally decided not to go to most lectures when we started our systems and just watched seattle lectures which worked for me because my main learning resources are board resources (B&B, pathoma, sketchy etc) but not having anatomy in person has been the worst part. I would recommend investing in online board resources and getting anki set up properly through the Anking group at Utah.

Can anyone speak about the premat program? Looks interesting... Would anyone say its a good opportunity to meet classmates? Also concerned about being burnt out before the quarter even started...

Can anyone speak about the premat program? Looks interesting... Would anyone say its a good opportunity to meet classmates? Also concerned about being burnt out before the quarter even started...

Did premat a couple years ago; liked it enough to come back the following year and TA some of the biochem sessions.

The days are long but you do tend to form a tight knit group by the end, and you can rely on them as a pretty good support system for the first few months. A significant portion of the sessions are geared toward fostering community between your peers which helps with personal resilience. The biochem sessions are split between a brief lecture and flipped classroom focusing on topical step style questions that previous students (the TAs in this case) felt were pretty high yield; it’s a fairly safe space to test out some study strategies before you get into the classroom. A few sessions addressing the “hidden curriculum” in med school, imposter syndrome, community walks and so on. So, all in all, I’d say premat helped me combat burnout rather than contribute to it. I still reminisce about it from time to time.

Oh and you are always very well fed at lunch with some pretty good food.

Did premat a couple years ago; liked it enough to come back the following year and TA some of the biochem sessions.

The days are long but you do tend to form a tight knit group by the end, and you can rely on them as a pretty good support system for the first few months. A significant portion of the sessions are geared toward fostering community between your peers which helps with personal resilience. The biochem sessions are split between a brief lecture and flipped classroom focusing on topical step style questions that previous students (the TAs in this case) felt were pretty high yield; it’s a fairly safe space to test out some study strategies before you get into the classroom. A few sessions addressing the “hidden curriculum” in med school, imposter syndrome, community walks and so on. So, all in all, I’d say premat helped me combat burnout rather than contribute to it. I still reminisce about it from time to time.

Oh and you are always very well fed at lunch with some pretty good food.

How many of the class would you say do the premat program? How many of them are nontrad (older)? I'm not sure I can afford to quit work that early but I don't want to be on the outs with the rest of the class when I start!

How many of the class would you say do the premat program? How many of them are nontrad (older)? I'm not sure I can afford to quit work that early but I don't want to be on the outs with the rest of the class when I start!

It'll vary between 30-40 incoming M1s from across WWAMI with about half from the Seattle Cohort (just easier logistically). During my year more than half if not most of the Seattle Cohort at Premat were nontrads iirc, myself included.

I don't recall the nontrad vs. trad composition of last year, but there were a significant number present including a former nurse practitioner.

It'll vary between 30-40 incoming M1s from across WWAMI with about half from the Seattle Cohort (just easier logistically). During my year more than half if not most of the Seattle Cohort at Premat were nontrads iirc, myself included.

I don't recall the nontrad vs. trad composition of last year, but there were a significant number present including a former nurse practitioner.
Are there other people besides incoming UWSOM students that attend pre-mat?

Are there other people besides incoming UWSOM students that attend pre-mat?

The short answer is no. The premat program is designed to ease matriculating UWSOM students in the academic rigors of the med school, candidly discuss potential reservations (whether about the institution of medical education, UWSOM, or self doubts), and foster a sense of community in a safe space. While it would be cool to have more interscholastic programs, the current limitation and narrow scope of funding conditions prohibit the program’s expansion to non-matriculants.

The short answer is no. The premat program is designed to ease matriculating UWSOM students in the academic rigors of the med school, candidly discuss potential reservations (whether about the institution of medical education, UWSOM, or self doubts), and foster a sense of community in a safe space. While it would be cool to have more interscholastic programs, the current limitation and narrow scope of funding conditions prohibit the program’s expansion to non-matriculants.

okay I had assumed it would be just our incoming class but the application made it feel like it may contain other people as well