2019-2020 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else thinking this COVID situation won’t be under wraps by the time orientation rolls around? So much in the air right now.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else thinking this COVID situation won’t be under wraps by the time orientation rolls around? So much in the air right now.
I am wondering what will happen if they move the first quarter to online, especially for those of us that need to relocate and get housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
What day is the first day we are expected to be on campus? (I am on the WL so I haven’t received any of that info yet)

Current M1 checking in.

The WWAMI system has been rocked by the Covid-19 virus and resulting pandemic. This isn't necessarily different than any other medical school, but it should highlight a massive shift in every aspect of how we are educated. All content is delivered online via Zoom as of a couple days ago. The cadaver labs, PCP, Hospital morning rotations, and all interest groups, have been placed on hold until further notice. Again, this isn't really different than any other medical school right now.

As time goes on we are being constantly updated as to any changes ahead. The situation is obviously dynamic, but communication from our leadership has mostly been phenomenal. Considering that they are working with no precedent, the situation is probably about as stable as imaginable for us students. Yesterday we were told that our summer RuOP and research opportunities are still being planned with the intent of continuing. That may change if the pandemic grabs an even greater toehold, but for now the summer is still being planned.

I play no part in the interview or admissions process, but I must assume that it is getting just as much uncertainty thrown into it that all other aspects of life are currently experiencing. I can say with 100% assurance that they will get the process figured out just as they are getting everything else functioning with an entirely different paradigm. So don't give up hope if communication is slow or differing from the timelines of past cycles. Again, I am completely confident in the WWAMI leadership and the lengths they will go to in order to keep students progressing.

Reactions: 4 users
Current M1 checking in.

The WWAMI system has been rocked by the Covid-19 virus and resulting pandemic. This isn't necessarily different than any other medical school, but it should highlight a massive shift in every aspect of how we are educated. All content is delivered online via Zoom as of a couple days ago. The cadaver labs, PCP, Hospital morning rotations, and all interest groups, have been placed on hold until further notice. Again, this isn't really different than any other medical school right now.

As time goes on we are being constantly updated as to any changes ahead. The situation is obviously dynamic, but communication from our leadership has mostly been phenomenal. Considering that they are working with no precedent, the situation is probably about as stable as imaginable for us students. Yesterday we were told that our summer RuOP and research opportunities are still being planned with the intent of continuing. That may change if the pandemic grabs an even greater toehold, but for now the summer is still being planned.

I play no part in the interview or admissions process, but I must assume that it is getting just as much uncertainty thrown into it that all other aspects of life are currently experiencing. I can say with 100% assurance that they will get the process figured out just as they are getting everything else functioning with an entirely different paradigm. So don't give up hope if communication is slow or differing from the timelines of past cycles. Again, I am completely confident in the WWAMI leadership and the lengths they will go to in order to keep students progressing.
Thank you for taking the time to write that out, its definitely encouraging. I have felt on edge because I was elated to get into my top choice (Alaska WWAMI) and then COVID-19 has put so much up in the air. It gives me great confidence that the program has been communicating effectively with all you current students.

Last edited:
Just got mine as well. Now I am confused if what they offer is actually enough to cover tuition and living expenses
I am also confused about the financial aid offer, the estimated tuition and fees seems WAY off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just got mine as well. Now I am confused if what they offer is actually enough to cover tuition and living expenses

I met w the fin aid office a couple months back and they said every student that isn’t working during the school year (which they ask you around June) is offered 4K. The room and board also only covers three quarters for the first year. The other three years it goes up because it’s the entire year.

Members don't see this ad :)
do they seem high or low?

The "estimated tuition and fees" portion of the offer is about a quarter of what I would estimate to be paying, so it seems really low. I wasn't offered a scholarship or anything as far as I know.

I met w the fin aid office a couple months back and they said every student that isn’t working during the school year (which they ask you around June) is offered 4K. The room and board also only covers three quarters for the first year. The other three years it goes up because it’s the entire year.
Do you mean that they were offered an additional 4K? I am just trying to plan because FAFSA or UW is estimating that I can contribute 12K so they offered that much under the estimated cost of attendance. Without working there is no way I am producing an extra 12K for next year

Does anybody with current MSAR know the average graduate indebtedness?
Here it is! Around $175,000 or so.

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 1.32.05 PM.png

How do they calculate it? If its costing about 60k a year for 4 years that is 240k, unless a lot of people have 60-70k in outside aid.
Only 89 percent receive financial aid meaning the rest walk away with no loans, thus bringing down the average. True cost of attendance if you’re not in that 11 percent is much higher

I am assuming financial aid rises in accordance with it?
Yes, definitely! Just wanted to ensure that you’re aware that M2 is +10k and M3/M4 are +20k!

Have any current students successfully leveraged offers from other schools to get more aid/scholarships/loans etc...? Not sure if UW even does scholarships?

Has anyone been contacted by CastleBranch yet to send in all of your immunizations and titers? I've gotten mine done but I am waiting for that communication to send everything in.

Does anyone know if UW ranks their classes? I had other second looks this weekend that were also P/F and talked about how they don't limit the amount of people that can get honors etc. I realized I didn't actually know if UW does a ranking or not beyond just the H/HP/P/F system.

Does anyone know if UW ranks their classes? I had other second looks this weekend that were also P/F and talked about how they don't limit the amount of people that can get honors etc. I realized I didn't actually know if UW does a ranking or not beyond just the H/HP/P/F system.

There are no rankings (I’m a current ms2)

Reactions: 2 users
There are no rankings (I’m a current ms2)
Thank you! I realized I hadn't even considered asking about when I was at UW second look. If you don't mind an additional question: I am perusing potential technology purchases for fall and trying to decide what tablet (if needed) or laptop to buy. What are you and your cohort members using?

Does anyone know if there is need based aid (or anything other than loans) available to OOR applicants? I really want to attend UW but my state school offered a merit scholarship and need-based aid which makes staying here significantly cheaper than attending UW.

Thank you! I realized I hadn't even considered asking about when I was at UW second look. If you don't mind an additional question: I am perusing potential technology purchases for fall and trying to decide what tablet (if needed) or laptop to buy. What are you and your cohort members using?

It’s hard to know what to ask during those.

of course, feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. I bought a MacBook Air with their “minimum requirements” which has served me well. I have classmates that have non Macs and at least one with a borrowed laptop from school that have made it work. Some classmates really like having an iPad and swear by it because you can write on PowerPoint notes etc but many others (myself included) don’t have an iPad and have been fine. Many students use onenote which stores everything online I think so notes don’t take up as much storage on device. I’m not great at tech so hopefully this was helpful

of course, feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer to the best of my ability. I bought a MacBook Air with their “minimum requirements” which has served me well. I have classmates that have non Macs and at least one with a borrowed laptop from school that have made it work. Some classmates really like having an iPad and swear by it because you can write on PowerPoint notes etc but many others (myself included) don’t have an iPad and have been fine. Many students use onenote which stores everything online I think so notes don’t take up as much storage on device. I’m not great at tech so hopefully this was helpful
It was definitely helpful. I am reluctant to by an apple computer, I've never used one. I am a handwritten paper notes kind of person, its how I study and learn and I am not sure that's going to be easy to recreate on a tablet. I am also not a tech person lol. I bought a new HP just last year but its at the lower end of the requirements so I thought I'd purchase something specific for the next four years I just have no idea what.

Is anyone using a surface? My best friend is heading off to vet school and her program swears by them but I wasn't sure if it would work well for foundations or not.

Does anyone know if there is need based aid (or anything other than loans) available to OOR applicants? I really want to attend UW but my state school offered a merit scholarship and need-based aid which makes staying here significantly cheaper than attending UW.
I think there’s very limited aid for OOR people. My offer was 100% loans. I know there was an OOR person who reported getting a waiver (so they only had to pay in-state tuition) but I don’t think there are very many of those. I’d reach out to the financial aid office— I asked them some questions during second look and they were very nice!

Reactions: 1 users
What is everyone’s living situation like for the upcoming cycle? Are you guys living at home, with a spouse, within Seattle area, farther away, etc?? Curious to see what everyone is going to do

It was definitely helpful. I am reluctant to by an apple computer, I've never used one. I am a handwritten paper notes kind of person, its how I study and learn and I am not sure that's going to be easy to recreate on a tablet. I am also not a tech person lol. I bought a new HP just last year but its at the lower end of the requirements so I thought I'd purchase something specific for the next four years I just have no idea what.

The amount of info that’s required each day isn’t really conducive for hand written notes (I was the same way in undergrad only doing hand written notes). You could take notes in class on paper or as a mixture with other methods/way to synthesize info but there are a lot of other materials that there just isn’t enough time to write it all. I’ve seen a few surface tablets I think. A tablet might be a good in-between because you have that hand/brain connection of hand written notes but you can also have all your other materials on there in one place.

Have any current students successfully leveraged offers from other schools to get more aid/scholarships/loans etc...? Not sure if UW even does scholarships?
I have an offer from a T10 with a fat ol' grant package that hasn't shifted UW's teensy $4k offer one bit. ORM but first-gen and rural.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I know I asked this a few weeks ago, but may as well ask again: any WL movement yet? I know last year around this time there was some movement, but who knows how COVID-19’s affecting it this time around.

I know I asked this a few weeks ago, but may as well ask again: any WL movement yet? I know last year around this time there was some movement, but who knows how COVID-19’s affecting it this time around.
Idaho took their first alternate on 3/31 and hasn't taken any since.

Has anyone been contacted by CastleBranch yet to send in all of your immunizations and titers? I've gotten mine done but I am waiting for that communication to send everything in.

In an update I received, it said that CB will not be contacting us (as previously mentioned). We will need to go create an account and pay a $35 account set-up fee.

Is anyone using a surface? My best friend is heading off to vet school and her program swears by them but I wasn't sure if it would work well for foundations or not.

I asked this question specifically, and was told that a tablet works quite well per the student, but the program requires a “traditional” laptop computer for exams. So you can do both, but you cannot just have a “tablet”. I think it’s a little silly since a surface pro is more of a computer than anything. ‍♂️

In an update I received, it said that CB will not be contacting us (as previously mentioned). We will need to go create an account and pay a $35 account set-up fee.
I got that email and am all set up, thanks! Glad I did my titers early because its probably going to be a nightmare trying to get them done now, though I saw that they have extended the due date for them.

I wonder if the surface book 2 would work since its a laptop that converts to a tablet. I am going to buy new tech and just trying to figure out what to buy.

I wonder if the surface book 2 would work since its a laptop that converts to a tablet. I am going to buy new tech and just trying to figure out what to buy.

For test software, we use Examplify if that’s helpful. In previous years, first years start doing exams in the library computer lab but sometimes use our own computers. You could check if examplify is compatible with your computer! If it is (and meets other minimum requirements) then having a laptop that also can be a tablet is a great idea.

Just FYI: I spoke with Financial Aid and they indicated that final scholarship/aid offers will not be ready before April 30... in fact they will be ready closer to the start of academic year.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I got that email and am all set up, thanks! Glad I did my titers early because its probably going to be a nightmare trying to get them done now, though I saw that they have extended the due date for them.
Nice! I currently work in the hospital where I live and it’s been a little wild. I haven’t had a second to get to the lab to get the PPD done yet. One step at a time I guess.

Nice! I currently work in the hospital where I live and it’s been a little wild. I haven’t had a second to get to the lab to get the PPD done yet. One step at a time I guess.
I can't imagine what all you have on your plate right now. I've never missed my paramedic job more than right now. It looks like the due date is indefinitely extended right now. I won't be surprised if fall quarter is online either.

I can't imagine what all you have on your plate right now. I've never missed my paramedic job more than right now. It looks like the due date is indefinitely extended right now. I won't be surprised if fall quarter is online either.

Current MS1. I would be shocked if fall quarter is actually in person given there's a high chance we will see a second wave of this. If I were y'all as an incoming med student, I would take this time to optimize your "future" workspace because it's highly likely you won't have access to facilities in the fall. That could change, but things have been shut down since middle of march and are online until summer.

• Sad
Current MS1. I would be shocked if fall quarter is actually in person given there's a high chance we will see a second wave of this. If I were y'all as an incoming med student, I would take this time to optimize your "future" workspace because it's highly likely you won't have access to facilities in the fall. That could change, but things have been shut down since middle of march and are online until summer.
I wonder what that will be mean for students who were relocating to their foundation sites. I hope if it goes online we can do our work from anywhere.