2019-2020 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call from Dr. Chan!!! IS! Very much in shock!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the call this morning too! IS. So so so grateful and excited to be a part of the class of 2024!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got rejection email. Was Idaho waitlisted

Ditto. Sucks. Fortunate to have an acceptance elsewhere. So long Utah, perhaps we will meet again come residency.

Congrats to all accepted. Condolences to everyone with an R and hang in there to everyone still waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
I accepted the fact that I will probably be too broke after med school to ever retire.

As an admitted Idaho Student, I am finding the way Utah is handling the financial disclosures unsettling. When I logged into my financial aid status on the University of Utah’s CIS page, the expected cost of attendance was $104,324 which is for out-of-state.

Admissions confirmed that I am an Idaho resident but said they list out of state tuition because Idaho will pay the balance. They then gave me the email of the one person who handles School of Medicine Financial Aid but she has not responded.

I just now received a letter from admissions showing:
"Residency Status for Tuition Purposes: Non-Resident"

Do all Idaho residents get listed as Non-Resident? I would think I'm not the first to have a fit when seeing this and that they could make this clearer and more reassuring.

Their FAQ says "Idaho students pay the same tuition as Utah residents. The State of Idaho pays the difference between what non-residents and Utah residents are charged for tuition."

Members don't see this ad :)
As an admitted Idaho Student, I am finding the way Utah is handling the financial disclosures unsettling. When I logged into my financial aid status on the University of Utah’s CIS page, the expected cost of attendance was $104,324 which is for out-of-state.

Admissions confirmed that I am an Idaho resident but said they list out of state tuition because Idaho will pay the balance. They then gave me the email of the one person who handles School of Medicine Financial Aid but she has not responded.

I just now received a letter from admissions showing:
"Residency Status for Tuition Purposes: Non-Resident"

Do all Idaho residents get listed as Non-Resident? I would think I'm not the first to have a fit when seeing this and that they could make this clearer and more reassuring.

Their FAQ says "Idaho students pay the same tuition as Utah residents. The State of Idaho pays the difference between what non-residents and Utah residents are charged for tuition."
I’m sure you’ll be fine. This isn’t their first time doing this but Covid has thrown a wrench into the normal activities. They only admit a small number of Idaho residents so it’s not like you’ll get lost in the shuffle either. Just be patient and let the process work itself out while staying diligent on your part.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sure you’ll be fine. This isn’t their first time doing this but Covid has thrown a wrench into the normal activities. They only admit a small number of Idaho residents so it’s not like you’ll get lost in the shuffle either. Just be patient and let the process work itself out while staying diligent on your part.
Thanks for the good advice and I know that it will be fine as well. Forgive the insecurity - it's only a matter of $150k :) It's difficult enough wrapping my head around the loans that will be necessary for in-state tuition. I was just expecting somewhere - anywhere - there would be a mention of something acknowledging the special tuition arrangement. I was curious if everyone got the same information or if this was an oversight. I didn't think that Covid would affect things like this, but now that you mention it, I can see it might.

Quick question while we're on the topic of financial aid...

For those of you admitted, how many anticipated "credit hours" did you put for Fall and Spring semester when accepting your Financial Aid Offer?

Quick question while we're on the topic of financial aid...

For those of you admitted, how many anticipated "credit hours" did you put for Fall and Spring semester when accepting your Financial Aid Offer?
24!

Got the call from Dr. Chan today! I was most definitely crying on the phone. For the record, primary was submitted June 1st secondary October 10th, Interviewed December 9th, Accepted January 17th.
Looking to apply this cycle. Admitted students, does Utah have a drug test?

A little confused- did you turn down your acceptance and are now "looking to apply" again?

No but that is not an excuse for you to continue using drugs.

acstylin you should work on being less outwardly judgmental of other people's lifestyles. Kind of a disappointing response from someone who wants to dedicate his or her life to helping others.

acstylin you should work on being less outwardly judgmental of other people's lifestyles. Kind of a disappointing response from someone who wants to dedicate his or her life to helping others.
Take a breath my friend. This is just a friendly forum. I was only joking. This person never said they were using drugs so I was making a joke that their question insinuated that they were drug users. For all I know, they take prescription meds and want to know if they need to have their prescription med info ready or they may want to find a local testing center so they don’t have to travel.

Edit: Besides, it looks like we’re gonna be classmates so you’ll have plenty of time to yell at me in person over the next four years. It won’t be hard to figure out who I am. I’ll be the guy in the back suffering from a severe case of imposter’s syndrome trying to cover up the wet spot on the front of my pants. See you in about three weeks!

Last edited:
To anyone reading this for reference on what it’s like here, we are only a couple days into our Covid semester so it’s hard to meet people BUT I can say that everyone in our class and the class above us has been amazing. Utah did an incredible job choosing a diverse group. It seems like the class is about 50/50 male/female and a great mix of ethnic backgrounds. Everyone gets along well and a lot of group activities seem to be going on constantly. Everyone is eager to participate and help each other out. Everyone feels like a real person on this journey together. If you get the chance, choose the U. Good luck you guys.