2019-2020 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did people finally get their financial aid packages / scholarships today? I still haven't gotten mine.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry if I gave people false hope! When I met with Wendy on Zoom to talk about my financial aid today, she not only said that they would send out the scholarship awards "later this afternoon" but also was able to tell me the specific scholarship I had been awarded. So apparently they are assigned and ready to go (at least for some), they just haven't sent the email yet. Hopefully they get to it soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The level of communication about this is really disappointing.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got my scholarship award email!

Reactions: 1 users
Have they released the academic calendar for those accepted on start dates and breaks during the first year?

I just withdrew my acceptance. It was physically painful (I literally shed tears haha), but another school just made more financial and family sense in the end. Good luck to you all, and especially to whoever ends taking my spot!

Reactions: 2 users
I just withdrew my acceptance. It was physically painful (I literally shed tears haha), but another school just made more financial and family sense in the end. Good luck to you all, and especially to whoever ends taking my spot!
You will be missed!

Anyone hear anything yet after yesterdays 1 school only deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
Idaho resident here who just got off the waitlist as well!

I thought it was back for a second round of applications. I am so grateful on so many levels.

God Bless and good luck to everyone still waiting and hoping.

To answer the question above, it was a call from Dr. Chan.

Reactions: 3 users
Yea, it was a call! They updated the portal and emailed shortly after.

Also, it was a restricted number for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how long Utah gives you to hit the "Commit" button? I've got two more wait listed schools that I'd like to give a chance to hear from (Emory and Cincinnati). It's likely Utah will be the choice anyway but haven't had enough time (or need) to think it through.

Their email says:
Your tuition deposit, criminal background acknowledgement and Graduate Admissions Application must be submitted within 2 weeks of this email.

Dr. Chan's email says:
I also would ask that you “Commit” to our school through the AAMC Choose Your Medical School program.

I presume this means I have two weeks, but I don't like presumptions. I'd love it if communications with this level of importance would spell it out. Something like: If you don't reply within two weeks of this email, this offer is rescinded (or something to that effect).

I'll call on Monday to confirm, but they didn't answer on Friday and just in case staffing is low, wanted to know if anyone has the answer.

Also, anyone know if those off the waitlist have any chance at financial aid?

Last edited:
Just got the call from Dr. Chan! I guess he is on call today. Accepted off IS Waitlist, Applied EDP.

Also, anyone know if those off the waitlist have any chance at financial aid?

When I was accepted last week, I did ask the office about this (didn’t speak to Dr. Chan about it directly, though) and it sounds like all their scholarships funds have already been allocated to incoming students. In terms of actual financial aid, I was given an email address to reach out to with further questions. (Can send to you if you PM me.) Ended up withdrawing before contacting that office, so maybe someone else can speak to need-based aid availability at this point?

Just accepted off the waitlist this morning. Third-year IS applicant. Couldn't be more excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Just committed. I found out that Utah has a CTE date of 4/30. They aren't fooling around with waitlists.

So I was just looking back at my secondary application in my applicant portal, and saw that there is a new section called "Utah Residency" that is not filled in at all (I'm IS) along with an "Idaho Residents Only" and "Out of State Residents Only" section that are also not filled in. I'm assuming these sections are new because I don't think I would've been able to submit my secondary application without filling them in, so I'm wondering if I made some sort of mistake and need to fill the Utah Residency section ASAP? I was going to contact the admissions office but figured I'd check here first to see if any of you guys had any solutions?

So I was just looking back at my secondary application in my applicant portal, and saw that there is a new section called "Utah Residency" that is not filled in at all (I'm IS) along with an "Idaho Residents Only" and "Out of State Residents Only" section that are also not filled in. I'm assuming these sections are new because I don't think I would've been able to submit my secondary application without filling them in, so I'm wondering if I made some sort of mistake and need to fill the Utah Residency section ASAP? I was going to contact the admissions office but figured I'd check here first to see if any of you guys had any solutions?
The OOS tab has always been there because we had to do a Why Utah essay but I think the Utah Residency one is new!

Idaho resident here who just got off the waitlist as well!

I thought it was back for a second round of applications. I am so grateful on so many levels.

God Bless and good luck to everyone still waiting and hoping.

To answer the question above, it was a call from Dr. Chan.

Congratulations! Excited for you and admittedly jealous.

It's a long shot but did you get any sense from Dr. Chan about the overall movement of the Idaho waitlist?

The OOS tab has always been there because we had to do a Why Utah essay but I think the Utah Residency one is new!
So do we think I should fill that out right now?? I'm confused about why it just popped up waaaay after everything was due!

I would fill it out just incase! And maybe post on the fb page or email admissions just to double check
I can't post on the fb page because I'm on the waitlist :(, but I'll shoot them an e-mail and see what they say and then post here for anyone else who's having the same issue

Congratulations! Excited for you and admittedly jealous.

It's a long shot but did you get any sense from Dr. Chan about the overall movement of the Idaho waitlist?
Thank you. Sorry, but no sense about the waitlist. Because the CTE deadline was 4/30, I presume anyone who didn't commit (or withdrew) has already been dropped and that place offered to someone on the waitlist. I don't know how many Idaho waitlisted spots were offered nor how long we really had to hold onto that spot. It looks like 2 weeks is the upper limit (I didn't push it past 48 hours).

If they haven't sent out rejections, there's still hope. If you look at prior year postings, there were still waitlist acceptances coming into June (in 2015-2016 the last one was Jun 10), but Idaho is going to be harder since there are so few seats.

Good luck. I know how stressful and difficult this is.

Thank you. Sorry, but no sense about the waitlist. Because the CTE deadline was 4/30, I presume anyone who didn't commit (or withdrew) has already been dropped and that place offered to someone on the waitlist. I don't know how many Idaho waitlisted spots were offered nor how long we really had to hold onto that spot. It looks like 2 weeks is the upper limit (I didn't push it past 48 hours).

If they haven't sent out rejections, there's still hope. If you look at prior year postings, there were still waitlist acceptances coming into June (in 2015-2016 the last one was Jun 10), but Idaho is going to be harder since there are so few seats.

Good luck. I know how stressful and difficult this is.

Thanks for the reply. Where are you finding the information about Utah's CTE "deadline" being 4/30? I saw that on Reddit just now but didn't see that info officially anywhere on Utah's application page. I understand that Dr. Chan asked y'all to commit, but is it simply a request or will people truly be dropped if they haven't committed by now? Anyone else feel free to chime in as well if you know the facts.

I only ask because you're right, there is usually quite a bit of movement through June and I would doubt that to be the case if people are truly dropped after not committing by 4/30.

Congrats on committing. Go UTES

Thanks for the reply. Where are you finding the information about Utah's CTE "deadline" being 4/30? I saw that on Reddit just now but didn't see that info officially anywhere on Utah's application page. I understand that Dr. Chan asked y'all to commit, but is it simply a request or will people truly be dropped if they haven't committed by now? Anyone else feel free to chime in as well if you know the facts.

I only ask because you're right, there is usually quite a bit of movement through June and I would doubt that to be the case if people are truly dropped after not committing by 4/30.

People were required to PTE by 4/30, they prefer that everyone chooses CTE as soon as they can after 4/30 so that they can engage as much of the class as early as possible and be fair to those on the WL, but there was no requirement to CTE by 4/30

People were required to PTE by 4/30, they prefer that everyone chooses CTE as soon as they can after 4/30 so that they can engage as much of the class as early as possible and be fair to those on the WL, but there was no requirement to CTE by 4/30

Thank you, this was my understanding as well.

I found the same list as you on Reddit and I believe the identical list on StudentDoctor.net. Since no information is listed on their website and since no one replied to my prior request clarifying this point, I was shooting in the dark and after 48 hours decided not to risk waiting since this was the best fit anyway. Utah also offered a generous merit scholarship, which helped.

Thanks for providing this. I don't understand why this information is so hard to come by. I would hope for and expect more transparency in the process. I don't know where the CTE by 4/30 came from on the list by DataKing, but it's all I had to go on. Is the information you have spelled out in the acceptance sent to you? What is the drop dead date after which they can remove you and offer your seat to someone else?

I found the same list as you on Reddit and I believe the identical list on StudentDoctor.net. Since no information is listed on their website and since no one replied to my prior request clarifying this point, I was shooting in the dark and after 48 hours decided not to risk waiting since this was the best fit anyway. Utah also offered a generous merit scholarship, which helped.

Thanks for providing this. I don't understand why this information is so hard to come by. I would hope for and expect more transparency in the process. I don't know where the CTE by 4/30 came from on the list by DataKing, but it's all I had to go on. Is the information you have spelled out in the acceptance sent to you? What is the drop dead date after which they can remove you and offer your seat to someone else?
So I asked them about it on the 29th and they responded "It is not necessary to select Commit to Enroll tomorrow. It is our hope that students will select it within the next few weeks, but there is not a specific deadline."

Any accepted Idaho residents on here still deciding between schools?

Based on years past some of the lower tier waitlisters will probably be getting the rejection soon, so looking for some hope!

Hi all, I withdrew my acceptance so hopefully one of you gets the good news soon! I'm happy for all of you, wherever you go! Best of luck!

Got the long-awaited call from Dr. Chan yesterday!!!

I seriously couldn't believe it. My MCAT and GPA are average. I've been waitlisted at every school I've interviewed at. Hearing Dr. Chan talk about my specific experiences and how the committee loved my writing, letters of rec, how well I interviewed, etc. literally made me tear up on the phone.

I'm a first-gen college grad. OOS and graduated from BYU. The U was honestly a long shot for me. I'm writing this so that some of you on the WL or who might be reapplying don't give up hope. They really do take a holistic approach to admissions and value your experiences and overall application.

Looking forward to joining the Class of 2024 in the Fall... GO UTES!!

• Love
Grumpy bear is now happy bear because she was accepted off the waitlist! OOS, no ties.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Good luck this week everyone!!! There should still be a lot of waitlist movement so don’t lose hope!

How many more acceptances from the IS waitlist would you expect?

I have no idea how many they’ve already accepted, but historically and according to MSAR they accept most of the people on their waitlist each year. Last year they sent acceptances out into the end of May/beginning of June.

Has there been any movement/updates this week? Do you think they are moving slower this year because of the virus?

Has there been any movement/updates this week? Do you think they are moving slower this year because of the virus?
Someone joined the groupme this morning saying they just got the call

Someone joined the groupme this morning saying they just got the call

Any idea on Residency status of said individual?

I can't imagine they would move any slower due to COVID concerns. They're simply filling spots as they open based on rank now.

Any idea on Residency status of said individual?

I can't imagine they would move any slower due to COVID concerns. They're simply filling spots as they open based on rank now.
From a different state but went to BYU, so could either be IS or OOS with college in Utah.

Has anyone here been rejected off the alternate list yet? In years past rejections started rolling in early to mid May.

I got off the OOS waitlist (no Utah connections) this past Wednesday and wound up crying in the produce section of my local grocery store haha. I didn't hear anything about any other movement, but I guess my only advice is that it's not over till you get the rejection email. (I had been totally expected to reapply and already starting to study to retake the MCAT etc. etc.) I really, really have my fingers crossed for you all! I'd been creeping on this page daily before I finally got that call and I know how anxious (and happy for everyone) I felt when I saw any sign of movement. Best wishes everyone and stay safe (also sane if possible)

Reactions: 5 users
I got off the OOS waitlist (no Utah connections) this past Wednesday and wound up crying in the produce section of my local grocery store haha. I didn't hear anything about any other movement, but I guess my only advice is that it's not over till you get the rejection email. (I had been totally expected to reapply and already starting to study to retake the MCAT etc. etc.) I really, really have my fingers crossed for you all! I'd been creeping on this page daily before I finally got that call and I know how anxious (and happy for everyone) I felt when I saw any sign of movement. Best wishes everyone and stay safe (also sane if possible)

Congrats. I love hearing these stories and am so happy for you! What a relief!