2019-2020 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Utah

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like last years secondary release was at end of july/august1.

They have GPA and MCAT minimums they screen for that can be found on their admissions page

Yep. Looks to be the same. Description of activities with 300 character limit per each.

Secondary received today! OOS.
*warning, rant: (The U really prefers IS applicants. I'm OOS but probably stronger ties to Utah than the vast majority of applicants. I was born in Salt Lake and went to school there kindergarten through grad school. Immediate and extended family all in Utah. My dad got his MD from the U and my brother is a third year med student there. Moved for marriage two years ago.:( If I don't get in because I'm OOS I'll literally be heartbroken.)

*warning, rant: (The U really prefers IS applicants. I'm OOS but probably stronger ties to Utah than the vast majority of applicants. I was born in Salt Lake and went to school there kindergarten through grad school. Immediate and extended family all in Utah. My dad got his MD from the U and my brother is a third year med student there. Moved for marriage two years ago.:( If I don't get in because I'm OOS I'll literally be heartbroken.)
Congrats! Best of luck, early or regular decision?

Good luck my friend

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming med student at the U here. Just wanted to drop in to wish everyone best of luck this application cycle! Hope to see all of you joining UUSOM come fall of 2020! :)

I haven't even started school yet so might not be the best resource, haha, but feel free to message me if y'all have any questions, need a pep talk, etc.

deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
Congrats! Best of luck, early or regular decision?

Regular Decision but I applied early- submitted my primary May 31st (verified June 11).
Secondary submitted without any issues. Good luck to everyone! #ThisIsThePlace

I’m pretty sure they consider you as an In-State applicant if you graduated from a Utah high school or college! So it sounds like you’re in luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m pretty sure they consider you as an In-State applicant if you graduated from a Utah high school or college! So it sounds like you’re in luck.
I don't think they consider you instate, but there are specific OOS spots saved for people who graduated from Utah, from their website:
85 for Utah residents
30 for Non-residents*
10 for Idaho residents**
125 total
*At least 1/2 reserved for NR who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university
**At least 2 reserved for Idaho residents who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university

Secondary received! IS, Lizzy M 69.

Does anyone know if they're still doing that online video portion? Easily my least favorite part of their secondary from the past two years.

Incoming med student at the U here. Just wanted to drop in to wish everyone best of luck this application cycle! Hope to see all of you joining UUSOM come fall of 2020! :)

I haven't even started school yet so might not be the best resource, haha, but feel free to message me if y'all have any questions, need a pep talk, etc.
Do you have any advice or tips? I have done literally everything I could possibly imagine and have got the big R for the past two years. I thought my interviews went really well.

Regular Decision but I applied early- submitted my primary May 31st (verified June 11).
Secondary submitted without any issues. Good luck to everyone! #ThisIsThePlace
Weird. I’m regular decision in state and submitted my primary May 30th, verified May 31st. Still radio silence.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think they consider you instate, but there are specific OOS spots saved for people who graduated from Utah, from their website:
85 for Utah residents
30 for Non-residents*
10 for Idaho residents**
125 total
*At least 1/2 reserved for NR who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university
**At least 2 reserved for Idaho residents who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university
85 for Utah residents
30 for Non-residents*
10 for Idaho residents**
125 total
Yeah, I went from fighting for one of 85 spots to competing for one of 15 spots! Not to mention the tuition is TWICE as expensive... It's annoying because if I get into medical school ANYWHERE there is 100% chance I will be returning to Utah to practice, which is the entire point of residency quotas. *sigh

Stats of those who were rejected? Are you guys out of state? If you don't mind my asking-

Applied May 29 and verified like June 5 or something like that. Still nothing, went to school in Utah

Received my secondary this afternoon, verified sometime before June28, IS, EDP

Do you have any advice or tips? I have done literally everything I could possibly imagine and have got the big R for the past two years. I thought my interviews went really well.

Hmmm hard to give advice without much specifics, so sorry if my advice isn't that helpful. You prob have already done this, but the big thing to do is to reach out to schools for feedback on your application file. One of my friends was able to fill out holes in their application after the feedback and got in last cycle. Then I'd make sure that your narrative from your primary carries throughout your secondaries and that you use your secondaries to really show how you fit the school's mission. As for interviews, I'd just keep fine-tuning those skills by talking about MMI scenarios/your med school journey/etc. at the dinner table and getting feedback about how you come off. The adcoms on here might also be able to give you a lot more targeted advice, if you reach out by writing a more specific post about your situation.

A lot of this process is confusing; I've seen some incredible people have to reapply for several cycles, for some reason or another. But several of my classmates got in as re-applicants (some after 3 cycles of applying), so I do believe that things eventually work out. Crossing my fingers for you this cycle!

Is there not any additional question on the secondary to explain why you are applying EDP? Also, does anyone generally know how many people apply early decision here? It looks like from MSAR they award 12 seats to EDP applicants?

Is there not any additional question on the secondary to explain why you are applying EDP? Also, does anyone generally know how many people apply early decision here? It looks like from MSAR they award 12 seats to EDP applicants?
There is nothing in the secondary about EDP. I understood from the MSAR that 12 applied but it didn't show how many of those twelve were accepted. There is an area to explain gap year activities if applicable as well as comments for reapplication if applicable. 500 characters.

Last edited:
There is nothing in the secondary about EDP. I understood from the MSAR that 12 applied but it didn't show how many of those twelve were accepted. There is an area to explain gap year activities if applicable as well as comments for reapplication if applicable. 500 characters.
Oh I didn't realize that was how many applied, do you know if they have a set number to accept from EDP or if it is just based on the applicants?

Oh I didn't realize that was how many applied, do you know if they have a set number to accept from EDP or if it is just based on the applicants?
From what I understand we just fall into our normal IS or OOS status for the acceptance numbers and there isn't a set number of EDP accepted. This is only their third or fourth year doing it I think. I'm not sure, I just remember this stuff vaguely from my premed advisor. I would imagine there are only 10-15 of us this cycle.

Is anyone else's "letters of recommendation" section not checked off despite having submitted the secondary days ago and all the letters having a "verified date" by them?

Is anyone else's "letters of recommendation" section not checked off despite having submitted the secondary days ago and all the letters having a "verified date" by them?
Mine is that way, I sent the admissions office an email over the weekend and I will let you know when/if they get back to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine is that way, I sent the admissions office an email over the weekend and I will let you know when/if they get back to me.

They emailed me back saying that my secondary was good to submit. I had the "verified dates" filled in next to the letters but no little checkmark.

Hey- congrats on starting school at the U! quick question- would it bad to "double dip" one activity on the secondary? My lone volunteering activity was coaching/mentoring and I would like to add it to the "leadership" section as well as the "volunteering" section.

Good luck next year! hopefully will see you next year.

Last edited:

Quick question for ya. Do you have any information regarding what is considered in-state and out-of-state? I’ve spent the past five years attending school here in Utah, and everyone around here says that the U “considers us residents.” Is there any truth to that? If so, I’m trying to figure out how to respond to the question on the secondary. It asks whether or not you are a Utah resident, with a box to explain your answer. If I hold residency in another state, but attended university here in Utah, should I mark that I am a resident?

I received the secondary today, paid, and wrote in the names of my letter writers, but when I click submit on the page it looks like nothing has changed. It says processing in red above the text boxes. I am done with the application besides this page. Do I need to wait to submit until my letters have a "verified date" by them? Does that just mean that U of U has not downloaded my letters from AMCAS yet?

I received the secondary today, paid, and wrote in the names of my letter writers, but when I click submit on the page it looks like nothing has changed. It says processing in red above the text boxes. I am done with the application besides this page. Do I need to wait to submit until my letters have a "verified date" by them? Does that just mean that U of U has not downloaded my letters from AMCAS yet?
Yes you need to wait until the letters have a verified date which takes a day or two.

Hey- congrats on starting school at the U! quick question- would it bad to "double dip" one activity on the secondary? My lone volunteering activity was coaching/mentoring and I would like to add it to the "leadership" section as well as the "volunteering" section.

Good luck next year! hopefully will see you next year.

I think that if it's just one activity, you should be okay! If it was more than 1-2 activities, then I might be a bit concerned based on what UUSOM has written about double dipping. Here is what the website says specifically: 'Many preparatory experiences could reasonably be considered under more than one heading and you should list them in each applicable area so that you do not fall short of meeting the criteria in any areas. The Admissions Committee suggests that you make your decisions about where to list your activities based on the impact that they have had on you and on your personal development. Overlapping or "double dipping" experiences may be viewed negatively if done in excess.' (Link here: Admissions Requirements - U of U School of Medicine - | University of Utah)

Quick question for ya. Do you have any information regarding what is considered in-state and out-of-state? I’ve spent the past five years attending school here in Utah, and everyone around here says that the U “considers us residents.” Is there any truth to that? If so, I’m trying to figure out how to respond to the question on the secondary. It asks whether or not you are a Utah resident, with a box to explain your answer. If I hold residency in another state, but attended university here in Utah, should I mark that I am a resident?

If you had filled for Utah residency during your time here, then you prob would be considered a resident. Otherwise, they likely consider you a non-resident (UUSOM specifically allots 1/2 of its "non-residents" acceptances to people who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university). I would recommend calling the admissions office to double-check, however!

I'm in the same situation. I imagine they still need to do it on their end.

They emailed me back saying that my secondary was good to submit. I had the "verified dates" filled in next to the letters but no little checkmark.

Thanks I'm in the same situation. Is my application incomplete until that little box is checked? Will they email me when I am under review? I submitted my secondary on Thursday and it's still not checked off.

Does anyone know when they start interviews for OOS?

Does anyone know when they start interviews for OOS?
I'm not sure if they have different dates for OOS v IS but MSAR says that the U starts sending out interview invites in September for regular decision applications.

I just had someone at the admissions office tell me that you can submit your secondary application before the letters of recommendation have been verified, has anyone else heard differently?