2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Utah

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS sent out the day it opened and haven't received anything

Utah did not send out their secondaries until like July 17 last year. Considering that AMCAS was delayed this year, I am expecting they will send out secondaries late July or early August... That is what I think will happen anyway

sorry if this sounds dumb but if I am not a resident of Montana, Wyoming, etc how can I submit my secondary? it keeps asking me to verify if I'm a resident of those states but I'm not and just want to submit!

sorry if this sounds dumb but if I am not a resident of Montana, Wyoming, etc how can I submit my secondary? it keeps asking me to verify if I'm a resident of those states but I'm not and just want to submit!

You’ve already received your secondary? Being a resident of anyone of those states is not a requirement to apply so I’m not sure.

You sure you are replying to the correct thread? Sounds like UW you're referring to...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

Applied ED, Utah resident, received my secondary from UUSOM this afternoon.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi all,

Applied ED, Utah resident, received my secondary from UUSOM this afternoon.

Best of luck to everyone!

Was it the same "expand on your activities" type prompt from previous years? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing. You can access the old 300 character "Extracurriculars" prompt HERE. It hasn't changed. It's also all on the U's website HERE. The section "Activities Recommendations" has all the secondary prompts verbatim.

The only new ones I saw were for an optional 1500 character COVID essay "how did COVID impact you?" and a 3300 character essay for a rural track program, RUUTE Scholars, which is "what does rural and underserved mean to you"?

Reactions: 1 user
Received secondary 7/29, ED, IS.

The specific COVID prompt is: "This optional essay allows you the opportunity to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted you. You may use this space to reflect upon your experiences during this time period."

On the U's website, the word optional in the prompt is actually bolded. How does everyone feel it is best to approach this? I had less shadowing experience than I would have liked due to COVID-19, but I'm not sure if that warrants a whole essay. I am not working on the front lines and have (fortunately) not been personally impacted by COVID-19. I don't want to fill this space up with fluff, but I also don't want to appear lazy.

Last edited:
Ok, so here is my question. I served an LDS mission 2014-2016. The U doesn't want you to list any experiences completed over 5 years ago. The mission was 4-6 years ago. I'm not counting on this experience differentiating me from other applicants in any sense, but I also want to show continuity and consistency in my application from my primary app to secondary app. Do I include it or no? Any thoughts?

I don't know if this perfectly answers your question, but since the secondary doesn't allow you to pick a start date any earlier than January 2016, I have a job I worked at from 2015-2019 and I just said I started working at that job in January 2016 and adjusted my hours accordingly. Depending on when you returned in 2016, I would just list the start date in January 2016, list your actual return date, and adjust the hours accordingly; I believe they'll look at your primary along with your secondary and as long as your hours are adjusted you will look consistent.

I don't know if this perfectly answers your question, but since the secondary doesn't allow you to pick a start date any earlier than January 2016, I have a job I worked at from 2015-2019 and I just said I started working at that job in January 2016 and adjusted my hours accordingly. Depending on when you returned in 2016, I would just list the start date in January 2016, list your actual return date, and adjust the hours accordingly; I believe they'll look at your primary along with your secondary and as long as your hours are adjusted you will look consistent.
That's a good idea. I haven't seen how the boxes fill in yet as I'm not ED. But, if you can't select anything earlier than Jan 2016, then that makes that real easy. Thanks.

Received secondary 7/29, ED, IS.

The specific COVID prompt is: "This optional essay allows you the opportunity to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted you. You may use this space to reflect upon your experiences during this time period."

On the U's website, the word optional in the prompt is actually bolded. How does everyone feel it is best to approach this? I had less shadowing experience than I would have liked due to COVID-19, but I'm not sure if that warrants a whole essay. I am not working on the front lines and have (fortunately) not been personally impacted by COVID-19. I don't want to fill this space up with fluff, but I also don't want to appear lazy.

I'm about to submit mine and I've chosen not to write anything. Since optional is bolded on the website it makes me feel like they really do not want to hear fluff. Since COVID-19 didn't throw a huge wrench into my app and I have not been working on the front lines I don't feel it has personally impacted me too heavily... hopefully this doesn't reflect poorly on me.

Are there any non-early decision applicants that have received the secondary? I feel like I’m losing my mind lol

Received my secondary this afternoon. IS, ED applicant.

I have a question about filling out the activities section. Do I rewrite a description of each activity, or just copy and paste it from the primary application?

Last edited:
Received my secondary this afternoon. IS, ED applicant.

I have a question about filling out the activities section. Do I rewrite a description of each activity, or just copy and paste it from the primary application?
IIRC, doesn't the primary app give you 700 characters per activity while the Utah secondary only gives you 300? Pretty sure you can copy and paste but you'll definitely need to edit it down.

IIRC, doesn't the primary app give you 700 characters per activity while the Utah secondary only gives you 300? Pretty sure you can copy and paste but you'll definitely need to edit it down.

I don't see a character limit in the secondary application. Maybe I'm missing something?

It doesn't give you a character limit when you try and input an activity?

No. I was even able to copy and paste the description from the primary application without narrowing it down and it was fine. But I don't know if this hurts me and I need to rewrite everything.

No. I was even able to copy and paste the description from the primary application without narrowing it down and it was fine. But I don't know if this hurts me and I need to rewrite everything.
That's odd. There was a 300 character limit last year. Maybe they modified their secondary because of COVID.

Based on what I've heard from other medical schools about that, I highly recommend reworking it. You could always check with the admissions office just to confirm though.

If you go in and get rid of all the text in a description box, you'll see text in light gray asking you to keep your activity descriptions around 300 characters. However, it's not a "hard" limit like AMCAS--you could technically write as much as you want and be able to submit it.

If you go in and get rid of all the text in a description box, you'll see text in light gray asking you to keep your activity descriptions around 300 characters. However, it's not a "hard" limit like AMCAS--you could technically write as much as you want and be able to submit it.

Now I see what you mean. You're totally right, sorry my bad :oops:

can someone who received their secondary put the questions in here?

Sure thing. You can access the old 300 character "Extracurriculars" prompt HERE. It hasn't changed. It's also all on the U's website HERE. The section "Activities Recommendations" has all the secondary prompts verbatim.

The only new ones I saw were for an optional 1500 character COVID essay "how did COVID impact you?" and a 3300 character essay for a rural track program, RUUTE Scholars, which is "what does rural and underserved mean to you"?

What is the character limit for the questions on the U's website? 1500??

What is the character limit for the questions on the U's website? 1500??

What questions specifically? None of their limits are "hard" limits so you can *technically* submit an answer to any question as long as you'd like... Really, you just need to keep track of your own character count.

The full secondary is this:

1. For Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming residents, you need to provide a State Certification.
2. For non-Utah residents: "Explain why you chose to apply to the University of Utah School of Medicine. Please indicate if you have a connection to the state of Utah." Keep answer to 1000 characters.
3. If you are interested in becoming a RUUTE Scholar, a 3300 character essay answering "What does rural and underserved mean to you?"
4. COVID-19 Essay: "This optional essay allows you the opportunity to explain how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted you. You may use this space to reflect upon your experiences during this time period." Keep answer to 1500 characters. NOTE: On the U's website "OPTIONAL" is actually bolded.
5. If you are a reapplicant: "Explain what you have done to strengthen your application." 500 characters.
6. Gap year explanation--"If you marked that you will not be enrolled in courses from 2020-2021 explain your activities." 1000 characters.
7. 300 character description for an unlimited number of activities, grouped into three categories: Community Engagement, Clinical Experience, and Intellectual Curiosity. The U's website explains what activities go where here: Admissions Requirements & Recommendations - U of U School of Medicine - | University of Utah

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Obligatory "any non-ED applicants received a secondary yet"? Still losing my mind.

I had a dream that I had completely imagined that the UUSOM actually existed.

• Haha
I'm non-Early Decision
I just don't understand the reasoning behind not sending out the secondary to everyone at once. It's not hard to check if someone has met their GPA/MCAT requirements. They could automate that process if needed.

ED, submitted secondary 8/2. Received two emails today: one asking me to verify my Utah residency by 8/20/20, and another notifying me that the Admissions Committee had received my secondary and that my file will be considered "under review" until I'm notified of a decision. The email also states that interviews will take place in September-February, however the admissions Instagram posted 2-3 weeks ago that ED interviews would be held in August and the first week of September... So I am not sure if 1. ED interviews were pushed back to September completely 2. I was just sent the generic email that all ED and non-ED applicants receive when their file is under review 3. I was denied an ED interview.

ED, submitted secondary 8/2. Received two emails today: one asking me to verify my Utah residency by 8/20/20, and another notifying me that the Admissions Committee had received my secondary and that my file will be considered "under review" until I'm notified of a decision. The email also states that interviews will take place in September-February, however the admissions Instagram posted 2-3 weeks ago that ED interviews would be held in August and the first week of September... So I am not sure if 1. ED interviews were pushed back to September completely 2. I was just sent the generic email that all ED and non-ED applicants receive when their file is under review 3. I was denied an ED interview.

I got the same emails. ED, submitted secondary on 7/31. I'm a reapplicant & don't remember getting this residency application last year.

I got the same emails. ED, submitted secondary on 7/31. I'm a reapplicant & don't remember getting this residency application last year.

How does one prove Utah residency? I’m heading out of town for a week and I don’t want to get caught away from my documents if I will need them to prove my residency. I don’t know how this works. Like a tax return? Or what else can you use? Thanks.

How does one prove Utah residency? I’m heading out of town for a week and I don’t want to get caught away from my documents if I will need them to prove my residency. I don’t know how this works. Like a tax return? Or what else can you use? Thanks.

It's really simple! The only thing you'll need to make sure you have on you is your driver's license so you can provide your license number. Besides that, it asks for how many years you've lived in Utah, if you were a considered a tax dependent and, if so, what state whoever claimed you filed their taxes, as well as a list of activities you've done in Utah for the past three years--which really just needs to be school and/or employment, you don't need to list all your volunteering or shadowing or anything like that.

I'm quite confused. Is anyone else a Utah resident and got an application only for confirming residency? Also, every time I submit it, it says it was submitted successfully but then it takes me back to the same page and I can continue editing it and re-submitting it (which I shouldn't be able to do). I am just getting concerned because it has to be in by Monday. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm quite confused. Is anyone else a Utah resident and got an application only for confirming residency? Also, every time I submit it, it says it was submitted successfully but then it takes me back to the same page and I can continue editing it and re-submitting it (which I shouldn't be able to do). I am just getting concerned because it has to be in by Monday. Is this happening to anyone else?

Mine is the same way, after submitting it I can still edit it. Seems like an error on their part.

From the letters of rec section on the secondary: "It is your responsibility to verify that your letters of recommendation have been received and processed by our office prior to your deadline date." How can we tell when they have been received & processed?

From the letters of rec section on the secondary: "It is your responsibility to verify that your letters of recommendation have been received and processed by our office prior to your deadline date." How can we tell when they have been received & processed?
You can always email their office to double-check, however, I think they're referring to AMCAS.

Idaho applicant here. Have any non-ED applicants received a secondary yet? Or are all these posts about Utah residency and letters of recommendation from ED applicants?

I am wondering if I have no ties and OOS, does that mean I should not waste my money for completing their secondary? when I receive it because I haven't received it yet