2020-2021 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now the question, will there be calls tomorrow?
I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much but I just read through last years thread and he made calls on Wednesday and Friday of this week.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much but I just read through last years thread and he made calls on Wednesday and Friday of this week.
Should also be noted that last year on this Wednesday the world shut down. Granted, that was later at night, but it might’ve gotten in the way of him making calls on Thursday. So keep the faith and keep your phones near by tomorrow :)

Reactions: 2 users
They did last year, they did calls on Wednesday and then again on Friday when they sent out the mass Rs
Do we know what day they were expecting things? Like this year we were all told the 15th, were they also told the next Monday and they received calls the Wednesday and Friday prior? @caffeinatedpremed_ , tagging you since you also looked through last year's stuff

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know what day they were expecting things? Like this year we were all told the 15th, were they also told the next Monday and they received calls the Wednesday and Friday prior? @caffeinatedpremed_ , tagging you since you also looked through last year's stuff

Last year my friends were told March 15. And that was a Sunday. I imagine that we’re all going to know before the weekend.

Last year my friends were told March 15. And that was a Sunday. I imagine that we’re all going to know before the weekend.
Also match week is next week, so they probably want to just focus on that all of next week

The Class of 2025 Facebook page already has 84 members (5 of whom work with admissions) and given that there probably are some who don't have Facebook or don't know about it there probably aren't many more seats left :(

The Class of 2025 Facebook page already has 84 members (5 of whom work with admissions) and given that there probably are some who don't have Facebook or don't know about it there probably aren't many more seats left :(
I just am hoping for an alt list at this point

• Care
Yes you’re correct! The 15th was on the weekend, but I believe they sent out all decisions the week prior. I’m assuming they’ll do the same thing this year, but they could certainly call on Monday.

I don't think this is the right way to look at it. Given that they have to give out many more acceptances than seats (probably in the range of 150-200 for a class of 125), and there are only 80 members in the group, even if there are members who aren't in the Facebook group (let's say 5-10), there are still many more acceptances to be given out--around half, if my numbers are anywhere in the correct ballpark!

I'd like to reiterate that the majority of seats (anywhere between 2/3-3/4) are handed out in March, which means that Dr. Chan has many calls to make today, tomorrow, and Friday. He spent ~5 minutes on the phone with me, so multiply that by 80, and that's a little under 7 hours of phone calls.
Last point: there is a lot of movement off the waitlist at the U. It doesn't matter how or when you get in once you're in!

Wishing you all the absolute best and fingers crossed for you

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I don't think this is the right way to look at it. Given that they have to give out many more acceptances than seats (probably in the range of 150-200 for a class of 125), and there are only 80 members in the group, even if there are members who aren't in the Facebook group (let's say 5-10), there are still many more acceptances to be given out--around half, if my numbers are anywhere in the correct ballpark!

I'd like to reiterate that the majority of seats (anywhere between 2/3-3/4) are handed out in March, which means that Dr. Chan has many calls to make today, tomorrow, and Friday. He spent ~5 minutes on the phone with me, so multiply that by 80, and that's a little under 7 hours of phone calls.
Last point: there is a lot of movement off the waitlist at the U. It doesn't matter how or when you get in once you're in!

Good vibes and reassuring comments like this have been keeping me going since interviewing in September. Expecting the worst at this point, but still hoping for the best.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users

This is saving my sanity right now. You're a true queen

We love you gliaqueen <3

Did you ask Dr. Chan or did he say that he had lots of calls left to make while you were talking to him? Asking for a friend...
Sorry, I did not explicitly ask about that, but from past years, it seemed like a decent amount of calls were made the week leading up to the 15th. Wish I could give you more info. I agree with glia's assessment above^

Members don't see this ad :)
Alt list email just now. Idaho applicant. I will probably be withdrawing anyway. Good luck to everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Alt list email just now. Idaho applicant. I will probably be withdrawing anyway. Good luck to everyone!
I'm in the same boat. It seems like there is now way to know how much movement there usually is for Idaho applicants/ we aren't allowed to know our alternate position? It seems like a great way for people to reject their alternate position if they are holding any other acceptances.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Alternate list. This one stings.

• Care
Alt list just now! So excited because at least it's not a R... This school is my last shot before getting set to reapply in the future. Hoping for the best!!

• Care
Nothing here too. I think I'm getting the R email tomorrow just like last year.

• Care
  • Sad
Got alt list email ~30 minutes ago, Wyoming applicant.

• Care
Alt list... not an R at least? OOS U of U alum/non-trad

• Care
I'm in the same boat. It seems like there is now way to know how much movement there usually is for Idaho applicants/ we aren't allowed to know our alternate position? It seems like a great way for people to reject their alternate position if they are holding any other acceptances.

Yeah I would guess that they probably have a fair amount of waitlist movement. You would assume that many of the Utah applicants are also accepted at UWSOM. I bet at least 4 or more spots open up for Utah's waitlist, and there are probably several others on the waitlist that are also accepted at UWSOM, like us. A decent portion of those students will most likely pick UWSOM over Utah. I bet they end up going at least 10 spots deep into their Idaho waitlist, including people that end up withdrawing before getting accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Alt list about 30 minutes ago. IS.. hoping this waitlist turns into an A :)

• Care
Grateful to get the WL. So MSAR says about 90 WL offers go out, 75 acceptances are given to that group. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any empirical or anecdotal data that might suggest otherwise in any direction?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Ok, so MSAR says about 90 WL offers go out, 75 acceptances are given to that group. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any empirical or anecdotal data that might suggest otherwise in any direction?
Who knows with covid

Grateful to get the WL. So MSAR says about 90 WL offers go out, 75 acceptances are given to that group. Does this sound correct or does anyone have any empirical or anecdotal data that might suggest otherwise in any direction?
I am hoping those are the odds

Idk what not hearing anything means but I haven’t either rip prolly an R sad days

• Care
+1 alt list for Idaho. This is my last shot at getting in somewhere this cycle so im really hoping i can get a spot :(

• Care
Anyone able to check the facebook page and let us know if Dr. Chan has said final decisions will be out today or if there’s continuation into tomorrow. Saw that in last years thread.

Alternate list!! IS. Email came through just barely.

• Care
My best guess now is they're going in alphabetical order. Anyone able to confirm or deny this? 🤪

Just got the R. Super bummed out, but best of luck to everyone!

• Care
Got the R just now. IS applicant, U of U student. Felt that I had very strong application, so this is a little surprising, but glad that I have other options.

• Care
I don't have MSAR anymore. This is listed directly on there?