-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Utah
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I had an option for 11/18 but I have tests that day. The other two were for December.
D
deleted993489
Anyone hear any post interview news lately. Interview 10/4 and nothing yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed same day. Silence.Anyone hear any post interview news lately. Interview 10/4 and nothing yet.
jackiepremed
Full Member
Got the call this morning. No amount of caffeine could wake me up the way that Dr Chan did this morning hahaa. I’m over the moon, feeling very thankful and lucky. Interviewed 10/21.
penguin2996
New Member
UPDATE: I got the acceptance call earlier today from Dr. Chan!!!! I'm so happy
We interviewed on the same day! I haven't heard anything but I'm honestly not expecting anything until late December/early January based on what I've been told by current students and last year's thread.
Anyone from 10/25 hear today?
Got the call this morning. No amount of caffeine could wake me up the way that Dr Chan did this morning hahaa. I’m over the moon, feeling very thankful and lucky. Interviewed 10/21.
Congrats guys! Can I ask if you are in state/out of state/went to a Utah school?UPDATE: I got the acceptance call earlier today from Dr. Chan!!!! I'm so happy
jackiepremed
Full Member
Born and raised in Utah, went to the U for undergrad!Congrats guys! Can I ask if you are in state/out of state/went to a Utah school?
But you are applying out of state?Born and raised in Utah, went to the U for undergrad!
(Sorry for the specific question, I’m just in that boat myself and it’s giving me hope I could get in early like you!)
penguin2996
New Member
I'm born and raised in Utah but went to college out of state. I applied as an in-state resident
Congrats guys! Can I ask if you are in state/out of state/went to a Utah school?
jackiepremed
Full Member
No worries! Sorry I wasn’t clear. I went to the university of utah for undergrad so i’m applying as an in state student.But you are applying out of state?
(Sorry for the specific question, I’m just in that boat myself and it’s giving me hope I could get in early like you!)
Anyone from 10/25 hear today?
I did not
My guess is that it would be next week since Monday cohort has an extra Wednesday (Adcom meet day)I did not
Does anyone know if rejections are only sent in March? Or sooner?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
september94
Full Member
Looks like most of the acceptances have been IS, at least on this thread. I wonder if they've started sending acceptances for OOS applicants
are you wondering about pre or post-interview?Does anyone know if rejections are only sent in March? Or sooner?
mia.wallace
New Member
Not OP, but I have the same question, post-interview in my case.
are you wondering about pre or post-interview?
Hmm, not sure about post-interview but I know pre-interview a number of rejections went out in January last yearNot OP, but I have the same question, post-interview in my case.
Yeah I am also wondering for post interview. Interviewed in SeptemberHmm, not sure about post-interview but I know pre-interview a number of rejections went out in January last year
I am a female MS1 at UUSOM and gave an interview tour today to someone who mentioned this thread (as I haven't been on this site for over a year) and they subsequently asked me about the topics being discussed here. I just want to say that if anyone has genuine curiosities about studying at UUSOM or general questions about pros/cons please feel free to send me a message. I heard a lot of weird rumors before attending the school as well and hearsay is never the way to make or break your future medical education. I wish the best to all of you!
Any tips for the interview? I am trying to practice for my interview next month and any tips would be really appreciated!
You're going to get asked typical MMI questions including topics regarding your personal experiences, ethical dilemmas, and themes involving higher thinking beyond the answer right in front of your face. Practice a variety of topics and have a variety of answers that you're comfortable using in a variety of situations. If you do that, nothing should come as too much of a surprise. I'm being intentionally vague to protect the fairness of the process, but it really is going to be what you've seen in your typical practice session- you'll just be more nervous in this one. The worst part will be getting the giant "U" tattoo on your back to prove your dedication to the program.Any tips for the interview? I am trying to practice for my interview next month and any tips would be really appreciated!
Hahahaha mine still stingsYou're going to get asked typical MMI questions including topics regarding your personal experiences, ethical dilemmas, and themes involving higher thinking beyond the answer right in front of your face. Practice a variety of topics and have a variety of answers that you're comfortable using in a variety of situations. If you do that, nothing should come as too much of a surprise. I'm being intentionally vague to protect the fairness of the process, but it really is going to be what you've seen in your typical practice session- you'll just be more nervous in this one. The worst part will be getting the giant "U" tattoo on your back to prove your dedication to the program.
Anyone on here in the first round of MD PhD interviews last week?
future_MD_2B
Full Member
Haven’t heard from the admissions committee since I submitted my secondary back in August saying my application was complete lol I was wondering where I can check my status. The closest thing I’ve seen is this section under the application that says “complete” in parenthesis.
I was also wondering if UUSOM accepts updates. I can’t find information on this anywhere.
OOS applicant from the east coast. I know this is a SUPER long shot, but figured I had to shoot my shot since they have a program I am very very VERY interested in, and it’s better than not giving it a try!
I was also wondering if UUSOM accepts updates. I can’t find information on this anywhere.
OOS applicant from the east coast. I know this is a SUPER long shot, but figured I had to shoot my shot since they have a program I am very very VERY interested in, and it’s better than not giving it a try!
They don’t accept updates :/Haven’t heard from the admissions committee since I submitted my secondary back in August saying my application was complete lol I was wondering where I can check my status. The closest thing I’ve seen is this section under the application that says “complete” in parenthesis.
I was also wondering if UUSOM accepts updates. I can’t find information on this anywhere.
OOS applicant from the east coast. I know this is a SUPER long shot, but figured I had to shoot my shot since they have a program I am very very VERY interested in, and it’s better than not giving it a try!
And then for your status, after being complete you’re considered still under review until you get a II or they start sending pre-II Rs (last year was in January)
Did you get the call today?I'm in! Interviewed last month
In state, out of state, or Utah school?I'm in! Interviewed last month
Congrats! When was the interview date last month?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
I'm in! Interviewed last month
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
gentlebalogna
Full Member
Does anyone have an inkling on what sort of financial aid is available to first year, out-of-state students? I am OOS with an II, but frankly I am re-considering attending the interview because the tuition is so high. My understanding is that I will not be able to transition to in-state tuition, and their financial aid folks were unable to give me anything other than very vague reassurances that 'scholarships were available.'
I'm not looking at lucrative specialties so the money is important. I do have two A's but at schools that are considerably lower-ranked. Also I'm new to SDN so if I need to provide more info please let me know!
EDIT: I do have solid geographical ties, grew up just across the border in NV.
I'm not looking at lucrative specialties so the money is important. I do have two A's but at schools that are considerably lower-ranked. Also I'm new to SDN so if I need to provide more info please let me know!
EDIT: I do have solid geographical ties, grew up just across the border in NV.
Luckifrog
Full Member
Does anyone have an inkling on what sort of financial aid is available to first year, out-of-state students? I am OOS with an II, but frankly I am re-considering attending the interview because the tuition is so high. My understanding is that I will not be able to transition to in-state tuition, and their financial aid folks were unable to give me anything other than very vague reassurances that 'scholarships were available.'
I'm not looking at lucrative specialties so the money is important. I do have two A's but at schools that are considerably lower-ranked. Also I'm new to SDN so if I need to provide more info please let me know!
EDIT: I do have solid geographical ties, grew up just across the border in NV.
I am not sure about oos scholarships specifically, but I read somewhere that average scholarships received is around $3,500 but range anywhere from full rides to $500. 😛
TheBrofessor
Full Member
Does anyone have an inkling on what sort of financial aid is available to first year, out-of-state students? I am OOS with an II, but frankly I am re-considering attending the interview because the tuition is so high. My understanding is that I will not be able to transition to in-state tuition, and their financial aid folks were unable to give me anything other than very vague reassurances that 'scholarships were available.'
I'm not looking at lucrative specialties so the money is important. I do have two A's but at schools that are considerably lower-ranked. Also I'm new to SDN so if I need to provide more info please let me know!
EDIT: I do have solid geographical ties, grew up just across the border in NV.
When I interviewed here, there was a financial aid discussion at the end of the day. She told us that scholarships open January 1 but close March 15 and are on a first come first serve basis. So she made it sound like in order to receive a scholarship you need to have an A before 3/15 or you can’t apply for scholarships. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but this is how I interpreted it. This kinda sucks because according to last year’s thread and some comments on here, most people don’t hear back until 3/15.
gentlebalogna
Full Member
Hey thank you for that. that‘s good to know, sounds like a lot of those scholarships would be a drop in the bucket haha.I am not sure about oos scholarships specifically, but I read somewhere that average scholarships received is around $3,500 but range anywhere from full rides to $500. 😛
gentlebalogna
Full Member
Hey thank you. Yeah another tricky thing is that I could have applied for WICHE tuition exchange, but that closed before I got my invite.When I interviewed here, there was a financial aid discussion at the end of the day. She told us that scholarships open January 1 but close March 15 and are on a first come first serve basis. So she made it sound like in order to receive a scholarship you need to have an A before 3/15 or you can’t apply for scholarships. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but this is how I interpreted it. This kinda sucks because according to last year’s thread and some comments on here, most people don’t hear back until 3/15.
'Hey thank you for that. that‘s good to know, sounds like a lot of those scholarships would be a drop in the bucket haha.
IIRC only one full-tuition scholarship is given out and the majority are the ~$3k scholarships
In state, out of state, or Utah school?
In-state applicant. Isn't that the same as a Utah school?
No, there are three categories- in state, out of state, then they have this random thing where they have 10 spots for out of state applicants that went to a Utah high school or college. I'm in that boat, so I'm always curious to see if anyone in that situation has been admitted! I think it's been mostly in state so far. Thanks so much for the response!'
IIRC only one full-tuition scholarship is given out and the majority are the ~$3k scholarships
In-state applicant. Isn't that the same as a Utah school?
When I interviewed here, there was a financial aid discussion at the end of the day. She told us that scholarships open January 1 but close March 15 and are on a first come first serve basis. So she made it sound like in order to receive a scholarship you need to have an A before 3/15 or you can’t apply for scholarships. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but this is how I interpreted it. This kinda sucks because according to last year’s thread and some comments on here, most people don’t hear back until 3/15.
A spring admit in 2019 was given a $6,000 scholarship in April. The admit was considering several As and made a second visit to confirm impressions. The offer was made the day following the visit. Non-renewable. Seemed like kind of a "we really like you" gift that actually did the trick. On top of a very positive visit, this was a nice touch, but obviously not a financial game-changer.
I am pretty sure that they said during the interview day that whatever your status is the day you matriculate is the one youll keep for all 4 years. Meaning you dont get instate residency after your first year. Someone can confirm or deny that but I feel like thats what I remember.Does anyone have an inkling on what sort of financial aid is available to first year, out-of-state students? I am OOS with an II, but frankly I am re-considering attending the interview because the tuition is so high. My understanding is that I will not be able to transition to in-state tuition, and their financial aid folks were unable to give me anything other than very vague reassurances that 'scholarships were available.'
I'm not looking at lucrative specialties so the money is important. I do have two A's but at schools that are considerably lower-ranked. Also I'm new to SDN so if I need to provide more info please let me know!
EDIT: I do have solid geographical ties, grew up just across the border in NV.
A! Got the call this morning! Nearly fell out of bed.
OOS but IS undergrad. Interviewed in early Nov.
OOS but IS undergrad. Interviewed in early Nov.
I will confirm- this is the policy.I am pretty sure that they said during the interview day that whatever your status is the day you matriculate is the one youll keep for all 4 years. Meaning you dont get instate residency after your first year. Someone can confirm or deny that but I feel like thats what I remember.
UteFan1234
Full Member
Got the acceptance phone call today! I am IS and interviewed on October 28th for those interested. Good luck to those still waiting!!
Interviewed in September and haven’t heard back yet...wondering if my chances are slim at this point. I feel like the trend I saw last year was acceptances 1-2 months after interviewing, and most who waited longer were W.L or R?
someone prove me wrong lol
someone prove me wrong lol
Interviewed in September and haven’t heard back yet...wondering if my chances are slim at this point. I feel like the trend I saw last year was acceptances 1-2 months after interviewing, and most who waited longer were W.L or R?
someone prove me wrong lol
This isn’t necessarily the case. It’s far more random. Don’t lose hope. There are several MS1s that didn’t find out for 4-5 months and even longer. A lot found out in March.
Looks like we interviewed the same day. Have you heard anything yet?Anyone from 10/25 hear today?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone from Nov 4 or later heard anything yet?
Idaho applicant interviewed 10/25
I got a calll from Dr. Chan but I wasnt able to answer and I called back but no one was in the office.
If he called does that mean I was accepted?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
I got a calll from Dr. Chan but I wasnt able to answer and I called back but no one was in the office.
If he called does that mean I was accepted?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Yes! Congrats!Idaho applicant interviewed 10/25
I got a calll from Dr. Chan but I wasnt able to answer and I called back but no one was in the office.
If he called does that mean I was accepted?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Edit: I mean maybe there's a tiny chance that it doesn't, but it almost definitely does.
If you miss the call, they automatically drop you from the applicant pool. Just kidding. I missed his call too. Just keep trying. Congrats!!Idaho applicant interviewed 10/25
I got a calll from Dr. Chan but I wasnt able to answer and I called back but no one was in the office.
If he called does that mean I was accepted?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
TheBrofessor
Full Member
Idaho applicant here too, congrats! Looks like you’re the first Idahoan to get accepted on here.Idaho applicant interviewed 10/25
I got a calll from Dr. Chan but I wasnt able to answer and I called back but no one was in the office.
If he called does that mean I was accepted?
Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Last edited: