2019-2020 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
is this school known to send IIs to high stat applicants first?

Why do you say that?
I may be reading too much into it, but...

"Congratulations! We would like to extend an invitation for you to interview at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Only a select group of applicants have been invited to interview. We believe that you would be a great fit for our diverse and supportive culture that makes Vanderbilt unique."

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
is this school known to send IIs to high stat applicants first?
Yes, look at the averages of their matriculating class. Extremely high compared to the peer institutions at the same ranking. They value high MCAT for sure.

"Congratulations! We would like to extend an invitation for you to interview at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Only a select group of applicants have been invited to interview. We believe that you would be a great fit for our diverse and supportive culture that makes Vanderbilt unique."
I think your right. If I get an interview it would say ""Congratulations! We would like to extend an invitation for you to interview at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. We've exhausted all other options and you're all we have left!"

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I think your right. If I get an interview it would say ""Congratulations! We would like to extend an invitation for you to interview at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. We've exhausted all other options and you're all we have left!"
Well my GPAs are lower than their 10th percentile so it’s likely not purely stats they’re prioritizing.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m willing to bet there are enough applicants with my MCAT (or higher) AND a GPA within their ranges to fill their entire class, let alone their early interview slots. But yeah.

I am a straight white cis male, but I swear I can contribute to diversity of thought and I occasionally put other people ahead of myself...that’s supportive, right? LOVE ME.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m willing to bet there are enough applicants with my MCAT (or higher) AND a GPA within their ranges to fill their entire class, let alone their early interview slots. But yeah.
I think people on SDN highly exaggerate the number of people with high MCAT scores. If you look at the data, there are really very few people with 520+ scores relative to the number of top 20 seats

I think people on SDN highly exaggerate the number of people with high MCAT scores. If you look at the data, there are really very few people with 520+ scores relative to the number of top 20 seats
1600 520+ applicants, 800 521+, 200 524+. There are 2400ish T20 seats meaning that if every T20 school filled exclusively with 520+ applicants there would only be 800 seats left. Only 88% of all 520+ applicants get in so 1408 520+ matriculants annually. The median matriculated for T10 is 520, the median matriculated for the whole T20 is 518. So, of the 1408 520+ applicants that matriculate every year, about 600 go to a T10 (half of the total T20 seats would be 1200, half of that would be 600) and another 300 go in to the other ten T20s. Therefore, of the 1408 520+ matriculants, 900 (64%) matriculate at a T20 institution. And of the 2400 T20 seats, 900 (38%) are made up by 520+ applicants. That means 2% of the applicant pool takes up 38% of the top spots. So no, you do not need a 520+ to go to a top school, but it absolutely helps.

Reactions: 5 users
1600 520+ applicants, 800 521+, 200 524+. There are 2400ish T20 seats meaning that if every T20 school filled exclusively with 520+ applicants there would only be 800 seats left. Only 88% of all 520+ applicants get in so 1408 520+ matriculants annually. The median matriculated for T10 is 520, the median matriculated for the whole T20 is 518. So, of the 1408 520+ applicants that matriculate every year, about 600 go to a T10 (half of the total T20 seats would be 1200, half of that would be 600) and another 300 go in to the other ten T20s. Therefore, of the 1408 520+ matriculants, 900 (64%) matriculate at a T20 institution. And of the 2400 T20 seats, 900 (38%) are made up by 520+ applicants. That means 2% of the applicant pool takes up 38% of the top spots. So no, you do not need a 520+ to go to a top school, but it absolutely helps.
521 checking in here. Silence for about 4 weeks so far. Hope this is true

Reactions: 7 users
521 checking in here. Silence for about 4 weeks so far. Hope this is true
We are only 2/3 the way through August. only like....20% of II have been sent out? It seems that the real high rollers this early in the cycle are either URM, special populations, or >524 MCAT. Not many others are reporting more than 1 or 2 interviews thus far, and even they are exceptions. The vast majority of aplicants, even high stats, have no interviews right now.

Your time will come, brother. The statistics are on your side.

We are only 2/3 the way through August. only like....20% of II have been sent out? It seems that the real high rollers this early in the cycle are either URM, special populations, or >524 MCAT. Not many others are reporting more than 1 or 2 interviews thus far, and even they are exceptions. The vast majority of aplicants, even high stats, have no interviews right now.

Your time will come, brother. The statistics are on your side.
Your words are very comforting. Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Your words are very comforting. Thank you.
1566410434756.png

• Haha

An alternative way to present this is to just count half of the spots at all of the T20s (assuming that the Vanderbilts, NYUs, and WashUs of the T20s balance out the comparatively "low" 518s from UCSF/UCLA/UMich) divided by possible 520 scorers. Since I was bored this morning, I went and added up all the spots. ~1200 students come in with a 520+ ("replacing" UDub with Feinberg since UDub doesn't accept many OOS). So every 520+ has a ~60% chance of matriculating at a T20, assuming the number of 520+ is ~2000 every year.

Reactions: 3 users

An alternative way to present this is to just count half of the spots at all of the T20s (assuming that the Vanderbilts, NYUs, and WashUs of the T20s balance out the comparatively "low" 518s from UCSF/UCLA/UMich) divided by possible 520 scorers. Since I was bored this morning, I went and added up all the spots. ~1200 students come in with a 520+ ("replacing" UDub with Feinberg since UDub doesn't accept many OOS). So every 520+ has a ~60% chance of matriculating at a T20, assuming the number of 520+ is ~2000 every year.

/r/theydidthemath

anybody know how interviews are here? i hear its one open and one close file interview with faculty? anybody have more info on what to expect./how to prepare. the feedback page isnt too helpful

I am getting super nervous hearing everything above.^ I have a 517 and a 3.5 and somehow got the secondary here. I still haven't submitted because I am unfortunately a perfectionist. Should I even bother?? I am NOT diverse haha. Contrary to my username, life is not good right now lol

Reactions: 1 users
I am getting super nervous hearing everything above.^ I have a 517 and a 3.5 and somehow got the secondary here. I still haven't submitted because I am unfortunately a perfectionist. Should I even bother?? I am NOT diverse haha. Contrary to my username, life is not good right now lol
I would submit. I haven't submitted here either because the essay is pretty long but we're still ahead of the labor day deadline.

Vandy seems more focused on the MCAT than GPA so I wouldn't be discouraged if I were you :). If your story is compelling it's worth it.

If you were fortunate enough to receive the secondary and you have the 100 dollars or so, submit! I would gladly take that chance, if they would be so kind as to toss a secondary in my general direction.

If you were fortunate enough to receive the secondary and you have the 100 dollars or so, submit! I would gladly take that chance, if they would be so kind as to toss a secondary in my general direction.
Honestly I don’t understand the rationale of not submitting a secondary when you already paid to submit the primary to that school.

Honestly I don’t understand the rationale of not submitting a secondary when you already paid to submit the primary to that school.
I can see not fully thinking through the price tag of secondaries, and then the shock setting in when you start shedding benjamins on the daily in July/August.

Does Vandy send the screener right away based on a stats screen?
In a podcast I listened to, the dean of admissions said it's based on the overall primary application including but not limited to stats. She said there was no hard cutoff! She did say though that the initial screeners look to see if you can "handle the academic rigors of medical school". Super vague, but I don't think they were too harsh about that. I am guessing they will be much more considerate of stats when giving out interview invites.

The admissions rep who visited my school said they automatically send to >3.8 gpa, > 515 MCAT and if below one of those thresholds they look at your application to decide if you are competitive

Does anyone know exactly where the admissions office is? Seems like it's in the biomedical library but I'm not sure? I've looked through the material they sent for a while now, didn't see anything explicit saying "go here." Would love for someone to make me look like an idiot and send me a link or something lol

• Haha
Does anyone know exactly where the admissions office is? Seems like it's in the biomedical library but I'm not sure? I've looked through the material they sent for a while now, didn't see anything explicit saying "go here." Would love for someone to make me look like an idiot and send me a link or something lol
(If using Uber or Lyft): "Please provide 2209 Garland Avenue as the GPS address. This will bring you to the roundabout in front of Medical Center North. When you exit the car, head south toward the Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center. We recommend that you use the Campus Map to assist in finding your way around campus."

I'm assuming this means we should report to the Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center.

Last edited by a moderator:
(If using Uber or Lyft): "Please provide 2209 Garland Avenue as the GPS address. This will bring you to the roundabout in front of Medical Center North. When you exit the car, head south toward the Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center. We recommend that you use the Campus Map to assist in finding your way around campus."

I'm assuming this means you should report to the Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center.

I read this and thought "ok heading towards the library, but... not going into it? Well the medical school is right behind it, maybe I'll go there? Oof help plz this is like CARS again"

• Haha
I read this and thought "ok heading towards the library, but... not going into it? Well the medical school is right behind it, maybe I'll go there? Oof help plz this is like CARS again"
I'm guessing there will be signs or someone to meet us at or in front of the library.

I'm assuming this means we should report to the Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center.
Did you get a Vandy II?

When you enter The Annette and Irwin Eskind Family Biomedical Library and Learning Center from the round-about, walk straight for a little ways, take a left to use the elevators and go up to the second floor. The whole second floor is dedicated to medical students and admissions. The admissions office and waiting area are pretty obvious when you get upstairs. Good luck to all! :)

II just now!! First available interview was 9/9 :eyebrow:

• Love
Reactions: 7 users