2019-2020 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Was there any way to indicate interest in the Connecticut program on the secondary? I already submitted, but I didn't see anything.

Also, I realized I missed a big opportunity to talk about the CT program in the "additional comments" essay because it literally operates in my hometown which I love, but c'est la vie I guess I have to hope they'll toss me an interview so I can emphasize it there.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received. OOS, verified 7/11

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a fan of secondaries but this is a good diversity question

Also lol at them interviewing 84% of IS applicants (all 97 of them)

Last edited:
What are we usually supposed to talk about in the "additional comments" section of secondaries? I heard talking about grade trends isn't recommended unless they suggest you to do so

What are we usually supposed to talk about in the "additional comments" section of secondaries? I heard talking about grade trends isn't recommended unless they suggest you to do so

I discussed my family ties to the school and then did a why UVM essay.

Give it a day or two, it resolved for me.
Did it resolve after you submitted? It says that my letters are received under document status yet the application is not complete.

If that's true, I totally dropped the ball.

• Wow
If that's true, I totally dropped the ball.
I don’t think it’s a big deal. I did that too because it helps explain my journey
It’s probably fine. I didn’t follow their suggested format for the residency question... because they buried it in the FAQ instead of just including it in the prompt!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think it’s a big deal. I did that too because it helps explain my journey

I doubt it will make a difference compared to leaving it blank. Although I did have a nasty downward trend that I've tried remediating with an SMP; kind of an ugly red flag.

On the other hand, answering "Why Vermont?" might have been beneficial.

It’s probably fine. I didn’t follow their suggested format for the residency question... because they buried it in the FAQ instead of just including it in the prompt!

+1

all my other schools received my rec letters ~2 weeks ago but here they say "not received". Anyone else in this situation? Also, does anyone know if it'd be better to contact uvm admissions or aamc about this? thanks!

I also goofed the residency question. Emailed them asking if I could fix it in any way, ignored. RIP

• Haha
wait what are we supposed to put for the residency question

Clearly most of us missed this so I’m sure it will have no effect. If they have a question they will reach out.

Clearly most of us missed this so I’m sure it will have no effect. If they have a question they will reach out.

If the most neurotic cohort of people (*cough*SDN*cough*) applying to their school goofed, literally everybody else did. I wouldn't sweat it.

Curious to see if any potential II's go out this week. Last year, they began going out during the 4th week of July.

In the FAQ of the secondary they gave an example format:

Age1 - Age2 Location1 Population Size
Age2 - Age3 Location2 Population Size

not a big deal if you didnt do that though.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
In the FAQ of the secondary they gave an example format:

Age1 - Age2 Location1 Population Size
Age2 - Age3 Location2 Population Size

not a big deal if you didnt do that though.
Yup, but instead of checking the FAQ I interpreted it as asking about ties to Vermont, so I answered the question with N/A.
I imagine adcoms reading our apps and laughing because none of us can read.

@everybody

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
One of the benefits of being super behind on secondaries is I learn things I never would have otherwise...

Reactions: 11 users
For the "speeding ticket" question, are we supposed to report if the ticket is a different kind of ticket that is not related to speeding? (eg., turning right without blinker or crossing double solid yellow lines or failure to stop at a stop sign)?

For the "speeding ticket" question, are we supposed to report if the ticket is a different kind of ticket that is not related to speeding? (eg., turning right without blinker or crossing double solid yellow lines or failure to stop at a stop sign)?

I mean I would just answer the question. When they say speeding ticket I’m sure they just mean speeding ticket.

If I look under document status, they have received my LOR but the checklist is showing them as not received. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: For future reference, my LOR were marked received and I was marked complete the day after I submitted the secondary.

Last edited:
If I look under document status, they have received my LOR but the checklist is showing them as not received. Anyone else having this problem?
+1

I think it's because I sent a letter packet, so they have to manually go in and check that the letters meet the requirements.

Received an email this morning that said despite botching the residency question, it will not negatively impact my application!

Reactions: 7 users
Notice how AVG schools applied by the applicant on this site is 40? Does it show shifting trend for all applicants or are we the typically hated pre-med that people despise. I hate what I have become...

Notice how AVG schools applied by the applicant on this site is 40? Does it show shifting trend for all applicants or are we the typically hated pre-med that people despise. I hate what I have become...

I’d guess there’s a sample bias with the average number of school thing. The real average is like 16. Active SDNers are a special breed (united by what? I am not sure).

I’d guess there’s a sample bias with the average number of school thing. The real average is like 16. Active SDNers are a special breed (united by what? I am not sure).
United by neuroticism :)

Verified 7/18/19
Secondary Received 7/19/19
Secondary submitted 7/28/19
Complete shortly thereafter.

Is that for sure?
2 week deadlines are a myth lol. They’re good in the sense that they keep you on track, but you really think someone reading your application with hundreds of pieces of information really cares when you got your secondary and when your submitted it?

Anybody know how vermont plans to use CASPer scores in the admissions process this year?

What is the general view on hitting word limits? Would it be foolish to submit something less than 400 words

What is the general view on hitting word limits? Would it be foolish to submit something less than 400 words

I think if the essay is great quality and conveys your point boldly then less than 400 is fine.

I sent my CASPER scores in, but they’re still not received. Has anyone else experienced this? Also my letters aren’t showing either tho they were in since June :/