2019-2020 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Declined my wait-list spot today -- good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
So no rejections? Does anyone know how much movement there was on the alternate list last year?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

So no rejections? Does anyone know how much movement there was on the alternate list last year?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Their class size was only 60 people last year so exact numbers are going to look different. They said their acceptance : matriculant ratio is 1.9 : 1, so I think that means they accepted about 50 people off their waitlist. If the ratio stays the same this year, they'll likely extend about 70 offers from the waitlist.

Someone say something if that doesn't look right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their class size was only 60 people last year so exact numbers are going to look different. They said their acceptance : matriculant ratio is 1.9 : 1, so I think that means they accepted about 50 people off their waitlist. If the ratio stays the same this year, they'll likely extend about 70 offers from the waitlist.

I am surprised by that. The class size is 80 so you think only about 10 people offered acceptances originally will choose to go there?

I am surprised by that. The class size is 80 so you think only about 10 people offered acceptances originally will choose to go there?
No BC some people will be accepted off waitlist and then not commit to enroll w the new acceptance

Reactions: 1 user

Just a small correction - it was 80 students beginning last year. And with the 1.9:1 catch rate, a little over 150 acceptances. But I don't think we can assume that all acceptances over the initial 80 were given from the waitlist (i.e. ~70 waitlist admits).

I think we can reasonably infer that some students who were accepted early on to WSU will rescind their offers leading up to March if/when they get into their top choices like UW, well established OOS schools, etc. In other words, imagine WSU has accepted ~60 ish total students by mid-Feb. Maybe by that time, about 5-10 of those have withdrawn their offers throughout the cycle. So now they have to accept ~30ish students by late March to make the deadline. These numbers are pure speculation but I hope the underlying principle makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted last week but will graciously decline the offer. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Would anticipate some more WL movement come 4/15 deadline no? Any thoughts on that? Hope everyone is well during quarantine

Would anticipate some more WL movement come 4/15 deadline no? Any thoughts on that? Hope everyone is well during quarantine
Could you clarify which deadline is on the 15th? Does ESFCOM have their own internal deadline for accepted students or do you mean the AAMC's Plan to Enroll deadline on the 30th?

Schborke might be referring to "On or before April 15, narrow your selection(s) to no more than three schools or programs, and withdraw your acceptance(s) from all other schools or programs."

Application & Acceptance Protocol

:shrug:

exactly I think 4/30 is when you can only have one acceptance?
Exactly. That's when I was expecting the most movement to happen, but we may see some movement on the 15th. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a Facebook page for the class of 2024?

Nobody at ESFCOM really uses Facebook groups because we all use Slack. You’ll be invited to join a Slack group for the incoming class sometime soon.

Last edited:
Did the inaugural class match already? I'm excited to see the the stats on where most of the students match to. Step 1 being P/F will definitely affect this in the future

Did the inaugural class match already? I'm excited to see the the stats on where most of the students match to. Step 1 being P/F will definitely affect this in the future

The inaugural class is finishing up third year.

They just got their Step 1 scores back recently. We have not been told yet what the average score is, but from what I’ve heard the 3rd yrs are overall very happy with their scores.

In one of the emails they sent they said they expected some movement “early to mid April”.. so my expectation was that we’d see movement this week and then that first week of May (after the April 30th deadline).

New email from Dr. Harrison with unfortunate news
I had expected we would need to make our first waitlist offers mid-April due to national protocol dates of applicants needing to narrow down offers to 3 by April 15th and also based on movement from last cycle. We have had less movement in the class than what I expected so at this point, I do not expect our first offers from the waitlist to go out until early May.
I would have thought the Step 1 change would make more people choose against WSU, but maybe because the class skews so in-state, people are choosing to stay at home with the COVID pandemic.

That was an incredibly disheartening email.

I would have thought the Step 1 change would make more people choose against WSU, but maybe because the class skews so in-state, people are choosing to stay at home with the COVID pandemic.
I wonder if people had to cancel a lot of interviews and second look visits around the country too which would reduce movement nationally. Also UW seemed to offer fewer waitlist positions this cycle which will definitely have an impact on WSUs movement.

What did the email say?

What did the email say?
Here is the entire email
Hello all,

I wanted to give you a bit of an update because I know this time of waiting can be especially difficult. I had expected we would need to make our first waitlist offers mid-April due to national protocol dates of applicants needing to narrow down offers to 3 by April 15th and also based on movement from last cycle. We have had less movement in the class than what I expected so at this point, I do not expect our first offers from the waitlist to go out until early May. Rest assured, we will have movement leading up to April 30th and so there will be offers off the waitlist. I simply wanted to keep you posted since I had previously indicated I expected offers to go out mid-April.

I hope you all are staying well!

Best,
Dr. Harrison
Senior Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs

Did anyone hear about campus assignments? I thought they said at second look that they would be released today.

Withdrawing my acceptance today - good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! You got this!!

Reactions: 10 users
I'm trying to learn a bit more about what M3 and M4 years look like but can't find the info on WSU's site. During clinical rotations, do you choose one of the campus locations and stay there for both years? Or do you rotate between all four of the different locations throughout the two years? Do we get to choose our clinical sites? Any info is appreciated <3

I'm trying to learn a bit more about what M3 and M4 years look like but can't find the info on WSU's site. During clinical rotations, do you choose one of the campus locations and stay there for both years? Or do you rotate between all four of the different locations throughout the two years? Do we get to choose our clinical sites? Any info is appreciated <3
I am fairly certain you are assigned one of the campus locations (based off preferences you give/availability) and you stay there both years.

You will move to your learning community site the summer before 3rd year and spend both 3rd & 4th year at your site. Once accepted you fill out a form ranking the sites 1-4 and also explain any extenuating circumstances for your top choice (i.e. spouses job), if applicable.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone on the wait list! I have my fingers crossed for you on traffic day!

Reactions: 5 users
Since I have withdrawn my acceptance I have a box of goodies they sent to accepted students that I am happy to send on to someone coming off the waitlist. It has a unisex shirt (size large), a coffee mug, and an insulated lunch bag all of it with ESFCOM logos and such. None of it has been used. DM if you want it and I'd be happy to stick it in the mail

EDIT: It has been claimed

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Has there been any news for anyone on this forum?
Nothing yet. Interviewed 9/13, waitlist spot confirmed 3/12. Going on 9 months since I submitted my secondary app. Hang in there everyone.

I think as long as someone hasn’t heard from here that likely means no one has yet. So is the assumption that if we don’t get accepted when the bulk of the 4/30 WL movement is resolved that’s probably it right? The emails we have been getting are super detailed so I’m sure we will get another email soon if there is more of a delay.

Anyone else get invited to Zoom? Waiting in the meeting lobby now...

I’m officially accepted!

Did you get a Zoom invite via email? Was the email sent today? I've never heard of them accepting students over Zoom so I wonder if they're switching things up due to COVID?

Did you get a Zoom invite via email? Was the email sent today? I've never heard of them accepting students over Zoom so I wonder if they're switching things up due to COVID?
They called me first and left a message then I did the zoom face to face call with administration folks. The lobby did say "waitlist offers 5/4" which I took to mean they may have more rolling out this week. I was waiting in the lobby for a minute so I think others definitely heard today too (didn't say anything about anyone else waiting or number of folks in the lobby).

But this is my third cycle and my mcat expired this year so I am feeling blessed and a little shell shocked! I hope some more news comes out to you guys soon!

Reactions: 3 users
They called me first and left a message then I did the zoom face to face call with administration folks. The lobby did say "waitlist offers 5/4" which I took to mean they may have more rolling out this week. I was waiting in the lobby for a minute so I think others definitely heard today too (didn't say anything about anyone else waiting or number of folks in the lobby).

But this is my third cycle and my mcat expired this year so I am feeling blessed and a little shell shocked! I hope some more news comes out to you guys soon!
Congratulations! Well deserved and glad you were able to get by without having to retake the MCAT.

Accepted today off the waitlist as well! I received a call from admissions to schedule a time for the zoom call, then got the official offer during the call with the dean.

Reactions: 2 users
Also got in this morning :) still in shock for sure.. this was my absolute top choice!

I wonder whether our first quarter will be online?