2019-2020 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guessing you were part of the 80% then?
Definitely last year, lol.
If I had the choice, and I certainly don't, I would choose UW over WSU for a host of other reasons. I just don't think USMLE's changes are in UW's favor. Big ships are hard to turn, and not even residencies know what they're going to do about losing STEP 1 scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely last year, lol.
If I had the choice, and I certainly don't, I would choose UW over WSU for a host of other reasons. I just don't think USMLE's changes are in UW's favor. Big ships are hard to turn, and not even residencies know what they're going to do about losing STEP 1 scores.
I already talked to the residency director at the UW in the specialty I’m interested in and am close with who said they’ll look now a lot closer at letters, research, and school name because there’s literally nothing else to look at. Sure there’s step 2 but everyone does well at that and even if they don’t, if you have a strong enough letter, significant amount of relevant research, and etc, it’ll make up for a lower score. Thus higher ranked school like UW got it good. UW has it even better because they already shortened their didactic period to 1.5 years a long time ago. So while the rest of the schools are reeling from the news that step 1 is pass fail and trying to adjust their curriculums (which they realistically can’t in a year or two), UW students have a massive advantage.

Reactions: 1 users
I already talked to the residency director at the UW in the specialty I’m interested in and am close with who said they’ll look now a lot closer at letters, research, and school name because there’s literally nothing else to look at. Sure there’s step 2 but everyone does well at that and even if they don’t, if you have a strong enough letter, significant amount of relevant research, and etc, it’ll make up for a lower score. Thus higher ranked school like UW got it good. UW has it even better because they already shortened their didactic period to 1.5 years a long time ago. So while the rest of the schools are reeling from the news that step 1 is pass fail and trying to adjust their curriculums (which they realistically can’t in a year or two), UW students have a massive advantage.

Agree with you 100% on this one

Members don't see this ad :)
Arg, does anyone think theres still a shot more acceptance calls will go out today?

I get that you’re trying to stand up for your school but talking down UW grads doesn’t seem to me like the best way to do it. If anything oo

Oops. I meant to reply to @bluerock lol my bad
How is "UW doesn't have the world's best clinical program" talking down UW grads? Frankly, I have a number of friends in UW's program right now. They all love it. They're going to be fabulous doctors.
Also, WSU isn't my school. I wasn't admitted here. I didn't even do undergrad here. I just think they have a shot at being something really great.

How is "UW doesn't have the world's best clinical program" talking down UW grads? Frankly, I have a number of friends in UW's program right now. They all love it. They're going to be fabulous doctors.
Also, WSU isn't my school. I wasn't admitted here. I didn't even do undergrad here. I just think they have a shot at being something really great.
“graduates are not known for their clinical skills”

If that’s not talking down a school’s grads I don’t know what is. Oh well

Residencies looking at the pedigree of the school is a compelling argument. Research too. It's going to take a massive change in the industry for letters to have much meaning though. They're all so glowing. Rather it might matter more who writes them.

Residencies looking at the pedigree of the school is a compelling argument. Research too. It's going to take a massive change in the industry for letters to have much meaning though. They're all so glowing. Rather it might matter more who writes them.
Exactly, which is why UW is perfectly situated because of their highly ranked in-house residency programs and they have a lot of these to go around.

“graduates are not known for their clinical skills”

If that’s not talking down a school’s grads I don’t know what is. Oh well
You definitely read into that comment...
UW grads are known for being wicked smart and great problem solvers. I'm sure their clinical skills are great. I've received excellent care from them, but it's not this like "OMG, UW is gonna rule the world in the great downfall of STEP 1. They have the BEST clinical skills program, EVER."

Also accepted yesterday! Do folks know any resources for admitted students (fb pages, forums, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email update about still under consideration with final acceptances and waitlists going out next week. The way it’s worded makes it seem like the only decisions left are a few acceptances and waitlists. Did you guys read it in the same way?

Reactions: 1 user
Just received an email update about still under consideration with final acceptances and waitlists going out next week. The way it’s worded makes it seem like the only decisions left are a few acceptances and waitlists. Did you guys read it in the same way?
I interpreted as acceptances, waitlist, or rejection. All possible. I also got suc'd. I wonder whybtheyre waiting till next week though

Interesting that they're not taking any post-WL communication this year. One less thing for us to worry about I suppose.

That's one way to look at it....

I mean I get what you’re saying too, it would be nice to send an update etc. But I guess I’m so tired of what is already an incredibly subjective process, and letters of intent are glorified begging (not hating, I’ve already sent one myself to another school lol).

So at this point I’m just content with knowing that I don’t have to worry at the end of the cycle (if I don’t get into WSU), that it’s because someone out-Pulitzer’d me in their LOI.

I mean I get what you’re saying too, it would be nice to send an update etc. But I guess I’m so tired of what is already an incredibly subjective process, and letters of intent are glorified begging (not hating, I’ve already sent one myself to another school lol).

So at this point I’m just content with knowing that I don’t have to worry at the end of the cycle (if I don’t get into WSU), that it’s because someone out-Pulitzer’d me in their LOI.
I totally feel you. Is it a bad sign that I'm burnt out in the application process alone? I'm sitting on a lot of Rs at this point and I'm feeling a little jaded about the whole process.

I guess in the meantime I'll try and cure Covid-19 before reapp...

Hoping for good news next week for everyone else waiting and neurotically checking this thread every 5 mins like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if calls go out a specific day of the week? The last two rounds were on Tuesdays but I don’t know if that’s consistent or just a coincidence.

Does anyone know if calls go out a specific day of the week? The last two rounds were on Tuesdays but I don’t know if that’s consistent or just a coincidence.
Not sure I had been thinking the same thing. Haven't gotten any notifications yet, but i also interviewed in December. Sometimes timing is crazy though for some schools. Seems like good news tends to go out in mornings, for me at least, and bad the afternoons. (Although that's an n=1) Which will be giving me a rush this week.

Not sure I had been thinking the same thing. Haven't gotten any notifications yet, but i also interviewed in December. Sometimes timing is crazy though for some schools. Seems like good news tends to go out in mornings, for me at least, and bad the afternoons. (Although that's an n=1) Which will be giving me a rush this week.
calls a few weeks ago went out in the afternoon

calls a few weeks ago went out in the afternoon
A source of anxiety but also hope there. If there is one thing this cycle taught me, well among many things, is that timing is terribly unpredictable.

Still no calls today ? Do y’all think those who don’t get calls this week are going on the waitlist by default or perhaps rejection is possible as well?

Still no calls today ? Do y’all think those who don’t get calls this week are going on the waitlist by default or perhaps rejection is possible as well?

In my still under consideration email when she said “we have communicated all denials to those who are not being considered further” I definitely read it as - if you were going to be rejected outright it would have happened already. I don’t know if that’s the correct interpretation? Sure seems like it though... so every one else is either accepted or waitlisted

In my still under consideration email when she said “we have communicated all denials to those who are not being considered further” I definitely read it as - if you were going to be rejected outright it would have happened already. I don’t know if that’s the correct interpretation? Sure seems like it though... so every one else is either accepted or waitlisted
That’s how I understood t as well.

That’s how I understood t as well.
I understood the email that way as well but it’s surprising they would tell us that. I do appreciate their transparency. I think based on the wording of the email if you haven’t heard yes by the end of the week you are likely waitlisted? Tough to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read it as, “we’ve done a rundown of all applicants, these are the individuals who were denied up to this point. However, we will continue to review and discuss those ‘still under consideration’ further. After we are satisfied with our holistic evaluation of each applicant, an acceptance, invitation to waitlist, or denial will be communicated.” But...maybe that’s just me?

I read it as, “we’ve done a rundown of all applicants, these are the individuals who were denied up to this point. However, we will continue to review and discuss those ‘still under consideration’ further. After we are satisfied with our holistic evaluation of each applicant, an acceptance, invitation to waitlist, or denial will be communicated.” But...maybe that’s just me?
That seems more likely based on the usual processes. But the wording made me think everyone had been rejected who would be.

That's definitely my standing interpretation

Just got waitlisted, now currently sitting on 4 waitlists with no As :/ Did they send out any acceptances? Does anyone know?

Waitlisted baby. They have any movement on the list last year?

So no acceptances or rejections on here? That’s interesting. Now we wait! No idea how to feel lol.

Waitlisted! Will withdraw, good luck y’all

Well, on the bright side of getting waitlisted, at least I have a reason to continue hanging around here for longer! It's nice to see such a supportive online community.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe that they said that they will not disclose your spot on the wait list, is that correct?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Accepted as well! I was so nervous on the phone, definitely not my finest moment of articulation.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users