-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Wayne State
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Worried All the time
Full Member
Do you mind giving your specific stats? Not LizzyM. Just a breakdown. ThanksI just got an II today! It's my first, so I'm absolutely over the moon.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worried All the time
Full Member
Congrats though (MD class) Which school did you get into and what were your stats?
gimme the R already; complete for 5 months and nothing...
Worried All the time
Full Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't people violating this on reddit all the time?
Seems like his curt email still didn't get through to you. Many schools that have MMIs do not want you to discuss specific questions or the structure with others - it gives an unfair advantage to the process that they are trying to normalize through using these unique, ethical questions. You giving examples of the thought process is considered an infraction on this agreement that you likely signed a NDA for. It like baffles me that you literally directly broke this agreement straight up to the adcom who gave you a slap on the wrist in a strongly worded reminder and now here you are again spilling out the structure of their form of questions... like did you even read what you signed? Or have any respect for their rules?
Worried All the time
Full Member
Which schools did you get into? If you don't mind, what was your MCAT score?I very rarely post, but out of virtue of not wanting another person to waste 30k I will tell you my experience of the BMS program. If your goal is to get into Wayne State's medical school, stay FAR away from their BMS program. Let's be clear, on the orientation day they are very clear with us that the medical school has no obligation to take a certain percentage from the program. However, they also state that getting over a 3.7 will make you an "extremely competitive" applicant and I can tell you from getting well above that, that that might just be a case of stretching the truth. Going off past years, it seems that they offer interviews to their class at the very end of the cycle, which is slightly insulting to say the least, and this year I don't know really of anyone that has gotten an interview. The worst part of the program is the fact that they tell you to only take 20 credits in the first year (kinda coincides with the 20 credit policy they have right?), which isn't really ideal when you're applying to other schools. I would much rather have taken 16 credits per semester of upper level science courses at my local university than do 20 credits in an entire fall + winter + spring at Wayne. Funnily enough from my own personal experience, other MD schools seem to respect the program more than Wayne does.
As to the actual content of the program itself, I actually liked it quite a bit. The medical school professors are the same ones teaching you, and they're all excellent (which the exception of the horrific anatomy professors). Don't worry if you're an incoming Wayne med student - the anatomy professors in this program are different than the ones that teach the med students. I feel like the courses do a really good job of preparing you for the first year of medical school and I'm glad I had that experience. Only sad thing is that there is essentially no guidance provided and it isn't really much of a program so much of it being a bunch of classes that you take with the same people. Ultimately, did this program put me in a position to get into medical school? Yes, but it definitely wasn't at Wayne. Maybe there are others that have had a different experience than me, but in my opinion, please save your money and do something cheaper like taking classes at your local college.
Worried All the time
Full Member
Ok, I am like really stupid. I don't understand how this applicant portal works. Is it the only place to check status?
Congrats though (MD class) Which school did you get into and what were your stats?
Thanks; a program in Michigan; LM ~68ish (no breakdown)
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't people violating this on reddit all the time?
so, because others do it it’s ok
so, because others do it it’s ok
It's only wrong to share MMI prompts/scenarios word for word. You cannot be punished for saying something similar to the MMI, like using different wording or phrasing, similar to how companies get around copywrites and patents by creating something just barely different enough so they dont get sued.
It's only wrong to share MMI prompts/scenarios word for word. You cannot be punished for saying something similar to the MMI, like using different wording or phrasing, similar to how companies get around copywrites and patents by creating something just barely different enough so they dont get sued.
NDA is very different than copyright law. An NDA contains the language of agreeing to not share any direct information which includes actual questions, structure, context, etc. We're not in court watching you try to win a case - it's obvious that sharing "the thinking they're looking for" from an MMI is wrong, so at least if you're going to choose to do so, don't paint it out like there's some loophole that makes it okay. It's like audacious as hell to be an applicant breaking the rules of an interview day. It's not that hard to not talk about the MMI.
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't people violating this on reddit all the time?
Not sure why that is relevant here. I have no idea what happens on reddit.
NDA is very different than copyright law. An NDA contains the language of agreeing to not share any direct information which includes actual questions, structure, context, etc. We're not in court watching you try to win a case - it's obvious that sharing "the thinking they're looking for" from an MMI is wrong, so at least if you're going to choose to do so, don't paint it out like there's some loophole that makes it okay. It's like audacious as hell to be an applicant breaking the rules of an interview day. It's not that hard to not talk about the MMI.
Not sure why that is relevant here. I have no idea what happens on reddit.
The goal of the NDA is to prevent people from writing up what happens during the entire interview process, then goes on to share it on a large scale and maybe even make money. Then there's the situation of vague NDAs that do not have the language specifying what information cannot be shared only rarely actually holding up in court. It's only "obvious" that sharing something is wrong when minor conversation regarding it is ever enforced, otherwise it's like going a few miles per hour over the speed limit, no one cares.
I also interviewed last friday and he told our group that it would be about 6 weeks for us to hear a decisionThe dean of admissions talked to us after my interview on Friday, and he said we would know by April 30th lol. Judging by previous threads, they knew in a month.
Much better than 3 months, so I’m good with that lolI also interviewed last friday and he told our group that it would be about 6 weeks for us to hear a decision
Worried All the time
Full Member
so, because others do it it’s ok
No, it is not ok.
I'm just saying it happens all over the internet.
There are some doctors that have made websites dedicated to interview questions at specific medical schools including Wayne.
What the poster in question mentioned is mild compared to that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Worried All the time
Full Member
NDA is very different than copyright law. An NDA contains the language of agreeing to not share any direct information which includes actual questions, structure, context, etc. We're not in court watching you try to win a case - it's obvious that sharing "the thinking they're looking for" from an MMI is wrong, so at least if you're going to choose to do so, don't paint it out like there's some loophole that makes it okay. It's like audacious as hell to be an applicant breaking the rules of an interview day. It's not that hard to not talk about the MMI.
Not sure why that is relevant here. I have no idea what happens on reddit.
Lol, my point is this really can't be enforced on the internets! I agree it is wrong.
The goal of the NDA is to prevent people from writing up what happens during the entire interview process, then goes on to share it on a large scale and maybe even make money. Then there's the situation of vague NDAs that do not have the language specifying what information cannot be shared only rarely actually holding up in court. It's only "obvious" that sharing something is wrong when minor conversation regarding it is ever enforced, otherwise it's like going a few miles per hour over the speed limit, no one cares.
Would bet my entire savings account you wouldn't say that statement with your name published online to truly see if adcoms "care or not". Love when anonymous internet pre-meds wield the baton of magical determination of grey areas and try to advise other pre-meds that it's ok to step within those boundaries (with literally no merit to understanding the actual consequences). The point is, they don't have you sign an NDA for no reason. If schools didn't actually care about you giving any information regarding the MMIs, they would publish their questions online and wouldn't have you sign **** that says "do not disclose XYZ". Furthermore, if WSU didn't care, the adcom wouldn't have felt the need to strongly re-advise the first poster not to do so.
But since you think it's such a grey area, I'd love to see you make conversation with your other interviewees about the questions immediately after an MMI right in front of the Deans. No one really cares anyway.
Would bet my entire savings account you wouldn't say that statement with your name published online to truly see if adcoms "care or not". Love when anonymous internet pre-meds wield the baton of magical determination of grey areas and try to advise other pre-meds that it's ok to step within those boundaries (with literally no merit to understanding the actual consequences). The point is, they don't have you sign an NDA for no reason. If schools didn't actually care about you giving any information regarding the MMIs, they would publish their questions online and wouldn't have you sign **** that says "do not disclose XYZ". Furthermore, if WSU didn't care, the adcom wouldn't have felt the need to strongly re-advise the first poster not to do so.
But since you think it's such a grey area, I'd love to see you make conversation with your other interviewees about the questions immediately after an MMI right in front of the Deans. No one really cares anyway.
Who goes out of their way to make themselves known to the police because they went 3 miles per hour more than the speed limit? What you're saying is not considering what actually happens in the real world. I bet you do more things that are "wrong" than you even realize.
punchameleon
Full Member
Checking the Wayne thread today be like
Woah this thread got wild lol
I will mention that even if you don't outright break the NDA on interview day, breaking it on here would still apply. When you all say things like "My stats are ___", "I interviewed on ____", "I applied EDP/regular but was waitlisted", and "I'm from ___", you're giving information that can be used to identify you. You all already know that current students on admissions have chimed in on this thread (I wouldn't be surprised if the other adcoms look here), so I would just be careful. If none of you know the exact specifics of what was stated on the NDA that was signed, I wouldn't try justifying what an applicant could get away with or not. You all worked hard to get to this point in the cycle and it would be unfortunate for something to happen because of something said on SDN (it probably isn't often but it's possible and truly not worth the risk). I think this should probably be the end of the topic though (you can take it to pms if you all want to continue discussing this with each other) so the thread can stay on task 🙂
I will mention that even if you don't outright break the NDA on interview day, breaking it on here would still apply. When you all say things like "My stats are ___", "I interviewed on ____", "I applied EDP/regular but was waitlisted", and "I'm from ___", you're giving information that can be used to identify you. You all already know that current students on admissions have chimed in on this thread (I wouldn't be surprised if the other adcoms look here), so I would just be careful. If none of you know the exact specifics of what was stated on the NDA that was signed, I wouldn't try justifying what an applicant could get away with or not. You all worked hard to get to this point in the cycle and it would be unfortunate for something to happen because of something said on SDN (it probably isn't often but it's possible and truly not worth the risk). I think this should probably be the end of the topic though (you can take it to pms if you all want to continue discussing this with each other) so the thread can stay on task 🙂
Last edited:
Worried All the time
Full Member
Would bet my entire savings account you wouldn't say that statement with your name published online to truly see if adcoms "care or not". Love when anonymous internet pre-meds wield the baton of magical determination of grey areas and try to advise other pre-meds that it's ok to step within those boundaries (with literally no merit to understanding the actual consequences). The point is, they don't have you sign an NDA for no reason. If schools didn't actually care about you giving any information regarding the MMIs, they would publish their questions online and wouldn't have you sign **** that says "do not disclose XYZ". Furthermore, if WSU didn't care, the adcom wouldn't have felt the need to strongly re-advise the first poster not to do so.
But since you think it's such a grey area, I'd love to see you make conversation with your other interviewees about the questions immediately after an MMI right in front of the Deans. No one really cares anyway.
Meanwhile, in the real world. I couldn't help it!
Wayne State medical school probation lifted, but program placed on 'warning' status
Wayne State University School of Medicine was placed on probation in June for violating 12 accreditation standards, issues that are still in the process of being addressed.
I agree. They are known for not having diverse students pull too. I am always surprised that this school accepts only 20- 35 African American students each cycle while being at heart of Detroit. Their student pull doesn't represent the community they are claiming to serve. The truth is they have No diversity and fake commitment to the underserved community around Detroit. So SAD!Meanwhile, in the real world. I couldn't help it!
![]()
Wayne State medical school probation lifted, but program placed on 'warning' status
Wayne State University School of Medicine was placed on probation in June for violating 12 accreditation standards, issues that are still in the process of being addressed.www.crainsdetroit.com
Woah this thread got wild lol
I will mention that even if you don't outright break the NDA on interview day, breaking it on here would still apply. When you all say things like "My stats are ___", "I interviewed on ____", "I applied EDP/regular but was waitlisted", and "I'm from ___", you're giving information that can be used to identify you. You all already know that current students on admissions have chimed in on this thread (I wouldn't be surprised if the other adcoms look here), so I would just be careful. If none of you know the exact specifics of what was stated on the NDA that was signed, I wouldn't try justifying what an applicant could get away with or not. You all worked hard to get to this point in the cycle and it would be unfortunate for something to happen because of something said on SDN (it probably isn't often but it's possible and truly not worth the risk). I think this should probably be the end of the topic though (you can take it to pms if you all want to continue discussing this with each other) so the thread can stay on task 🙂
Lets make it easy and post our AMCAS ID numbers every time we say something. Feel the thrill.
Honestly people seem to be act more cautious online than they are inperson. During my interview in the break room, there were quite a few just talking about the MMI questions they got asked. Maybe cause things are more permanent online.
Last edited:
Lets make it easy and post our AMCAS ID numbers every time we say something. Feel the thrill.
Honestly people seem to be act more cautious online than they are inperson. During my interview in the break room, there were quite a few just talking about the MMI questions they got asked. Maybe cause things are more permanent online.
Yeah things are definitely more permanent online! They're also accessible to a larger group of people. Whatever those students discussed together during interview day most likely stayed between them, but anyone who accesses a public site like SDN (including students on admissions and possibly other adcoms) will see the information posted on here. I'll honestly admit that there are a few of you on this thread that could easily be narrowed down due to the identifiers I've seen so uh... just be careful guys lol
Meanwhile, in the real world. I couldn't help it!
![]()
Wayne State medical school probation lifted, but program placed on 'warning' status
Wayne State University School of Medicine was placed on probation in June for violating 12 accreditation standards, issues that are still in the process of being addressed.www.crainsdetroit.com
Not quite “meanwhile”: that article was from 5 years ago, probation/violations were addressed and resolved, and there’s a new “sheriff” in town 😉
New Wayne State med school dean faces challenges
The new dean for the Wayne State University medical school is a talented researcher, a respected administrator and chair of the department of radiology at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York.He's also stepping into a volatile situation.Is Mark Schweitzer ready for the…
MrPooperScooper
Full Member
Any current students care to chime in on what a regular day is like at Wayne during the pre-clinical years? How many classes do you take concurrently, how many lectures do you have per day, how many hours each lecture is, how many professors do you have per each organ system, etc? Thanks!
Worried All the time
Full Member
Lol I was trying to find any articles about the LCME issues to be funny.Not quite “meanwhile”: that article was from 5 years ago, probation/violations were addressed and resolved, and there’s a new “sheriff” in town 😉
![]()
New Wayne State med school dean faces challenges
The new dean for the Wayne State University medical school is a talented researcher, a respected administrator and chair of the department of radiology at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine in New York.He's also stepping into a volatile situation.Is Mark Schweitzer ready for the…www.crainsdetroit.com
Worried All the time
Full Member
Yeah things are definitely more permanent online! They're also accessible to a larger group of people. Whatever those students discussed together during interview day most likely stayed between them, but anyone who accesses a public site like SDN (including students on admissions and possibly other adcoms) will see the information posted on here. I'll honestly admit that there are a few of you on this thread that could easily be narrowed down due to the identifiers I've seen so uh... just be careful guys lol
Could you provide examples of identifiers?
Worried All the time
Full Member
Are interview invites done?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FEb 10thAre interview invites done?
Could you provide examples of identifiers?
The person is just saying that if you go on to say something like "I was just waitlisted today on 2/5/2020 with my 510/3.7 stats OOS from California" then that might be more than enough to find who you are. Generally, I'd imagine that if you dont say one or two of those identifiers, it'll be hard to find out who you are, cause it'll be just vague enough. In reality, NSA/FBI can track everyone down too, but they only bother when it's going to be a worthwhile catch, I'd imagine Wayne wouldn't bother either unless if it was a big deal.
Any current students care to chime in on what a regular day is like at Wayne during the pre-clinical years? How many classes do you take concurrently, how many lectures do you have per day, how many hours each lecture is, how many professors do you have per each organ system, etc? Thanks!
Greetings!
Your M1 year is mainly lectures, but all are recorded and there is no attendance policy. Run concurrently is your Gross Anatomy and Histology labs, which run anywhere from 1-3 hours about 4 times a unit. Lastly, you have a "P4" course which meets for 2 hours about 3 times a unit (a unit is anywhere from 4-6 weeks) and includes practice sessions in our Kado Clinical Skills center taking care of patients and learning how to write a doctor's note and learn your physical exam techniques.
For professors, you will have one professor be the course coordinator, but each "subject" taught is taught by a professor in that department who is the utmost knowledgable in their field. All professors are available online and in person to answer questions you have about the course material.
LMK if you have any more questions 🙂
MrPooperScooper
Full Member
Greetings!
Your M1 year is mainly lectures, but all are recorded and there is no attendance policy. Run concurrently is your Gross Anatomy and Histology labs, which run anywhere from 1-3 hours about 4 times a unit. Lastly, you have a "P4" course which meets for 2 hours about 3 times a unit (a unit is anywhere from 4-6 weeks) and includes practice sessions in our Kado Clinical Skills center taking care of patients and learning how to write a doctor's note and learn your physical exam techniques.
For professors, you will have one professor be the course coordinator, but each "subject" taught is taught by a professor in that department who is the utmost knowledgable in their field. All professors are available online and in person to answer questions you have about the course material.
LMK if you have any more questions 🙂
Thank you so much. Truly helpful 🙂
Thanks for the info! How long is the dedicated period (to study step 1) if you're aware?Greetings!
Your M1 year is mainly lectures, but all are recorded and there is no attendance policy. Run concurrently is your Gross Anatomy and Histology labs, which run anywhere from 1-3 hours about 4 times a unit. Lastly, you have a "P4" course which meets for 2 hours about 3 times a unit (a unit is anywhere from 4-6 weeks) and includes practice sessions in our Kado Clinical Skills center taking care of patients and learning how to write a doctor's note and learn your physical exam techniques.
For professors, you will have one professor be the course coordinator, but each "subject" taught is taught by a professor in that department who is the utmost knowledgable in their field. All professors are available online and in person to answer questions you have about the course material.
LMK if you have any more questions 🙂
Dedicated time is from January 1st to March 31st. You have to take Step 1 by the end of MarchThanks for the info! How long is the dedicated period (to study step 1) if you're aware?
TrustySteed
Full Member
Anybody know what’s the last day they can hold you on the waitlist for?
I’ve looked at their policy handbook and on their website but there is no clear answer.
Any tips would be appreciated!
I’ve looked at their policy handbook and on their website but there is no clear answer.
Any tips would be appreciated!
At my interview a few days ago the dean of admissions said you can be notified of acceptance off the waitlist all the way until the first day of classes.Anybody know what’s the last day they can hold you on the waitlist for?
I’ve looked at their policy handbook and on their website but there is no clear answer.
Any tips would be appreciated!
Anybody know what’s the last day they can hold you on the waitlist for?
I’ve looked at their policy handbook and on their website but there is no clear answer.
Any tips would be appreciated!
“We do not have a numbered or ranked alternate list. It is not possible for us to advise you of the chances that you would eventually be offered admission. Individuals placed on the alternate list may get an admission offer at any stage of review when admission decisions are made from today through the beginning of orientation in July 2020.”
From the waitlist email
You can be accepted up to the first day of classes. I was accepted 2 weeks before class started, and we had someone accepted the friday before classes started. There is no "silent rejection", you will be notified by that time if you have been accepted or notAnybody know what’s the last day they can hold you on the waitlist for?
I’ve looked at their policy handbook and on their website but there is no clear answer.
Any tips would be appreciated!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MrPooperScooper
Full Member
I doubt the accuracy of 650 offers already being sent out. Last year they sent out 572 offers altogether.
Man, this sucks. I did so much to improve my application from last time and still got zero IIs this year.
I don’t even know what else to do to improve my for next time. Feel like I’ve done everything I could.
Wayne has a form that you can fill out for them to give you feedback. I recommend asking schools for feedback as to why you *aren’t* receiving IIs. Maybe also have some med students read your personal statement. There’s a lot of med students that you can find on Reddit who are willing to give feedback on your personal statement. I even suggest asking doctors you know/shadow what they think you can do to improve your application. Oftentimes it’s hard to see our own weaknesses, even the things we consider to be our weaknesses may not be the same as adcoms. Try to get as much insider insight as possible.
Easier said than done, but keep your head up. The cycle is ruthless and doesn’t define you. Not to sound cliche, but everything happens for a reason. Steve Jobs once said “you cannot connect the dots looking forward. You can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.” You got this!!
**I am a current applicant, this is just the advice I've received from my peers that have had success re-applying as well as my academic advisors!
Last edited: