May 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree! I definitely think (incoming) M1s get the long end of the stick, especially as most lectures can be streamed (but I'm not sure about orientation, CPR certs, etc.; maybe those could be postponed?). I really feel for M3s especially who've had their clerkships cut short or those on rotations.
i would be heart broken if we couldn't do orientation or the white coat ceremony -- we will see how this all pans out

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Medical Student
i would be heart broken if we couldn't do orientation or the white coat ceremony -- we will see how this all pans out
as of right now, the dean of the medical school has insisted that the old M1 class will be starting M2 on April 13th and the old M2 class will be starting M3 april 1st. If we're starting on time, I'm pretty sure the new M1s will too :)

About the Ads
Aug 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone interviewed Dec 2nd then waitlisted get accepted? Trying to see if they are going by order or if its all random. Cuz most responses are nov interviews.

Jul 16, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I on the other hand am waiting for one acceptance and I'm on the waitlist. Gonna hit them up with a letter of intent by the end of the month cuz this is where I want to be.
Same! They were my only interview. Plus Wayne is my dream school - perfect values alignment - and Detroit has everything my family needs. Being on the waitlist means I’m a half step closer to making this reality.

About the Ads
Aug 14, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone who applied EDP been accepted off the waitlist? it seems like no one has!

Oct 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone received their financial aid package/information yet?

Mar 23, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
No I havent. I was wondering when they tend to send these out
They sent out an email earlier in the month before everything shifted online that most financial aid packages would be out by the end of March. However, this was probably affected by shifting everything online. So things are kind of up in the air rn

Nov 20, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
They sent out an email earlier in the month before everything shifted online that most financial aid packages would be out by the end of March. However, this was probably affected by shifting everything online. So things are kind of up in the air rn
Makes sense. Just gotta keep waiting haha one more week isnt going to kill me.

Was also wondering if anyone can comment on clinical opportunities beginning from M1. Are we able to be apart of the healthcare team at DMC during M1 or is that just limited to when we start rotations?

Oct 10, 2018
Was also wondering if anyone can comment on clinical opportunities beginning from M1. Are we able to be apart of the healthcare team at DMC during M1 or is that just limited to when we start rotations?
From what I’ve heard/seen, I don’t think any M1 students at any medical school in the US are part of a healthcare team yet. That would be M3 for most, and M2 at the earliest for some.

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Medical Student

Current M1 here:

Soooooooooo many clinical opportunities. There are like 20 student-run free clinics that WSU sponsors and even as an M1 you can volunteer your time there and act as the primary care physician for the homeless and underserved populations in Detroit. I've done it a bunch and tbh it is great practice and application of the skills you learn in the clinical skills course during your first year. You also get basic life support certified during orientation. With this certification, you can volunteer at any of the hospitals on WSU campus in the ER and do CPR on a coding patient. I was only 2 weeks into my medical school career when I volunteered with the receiving hospital and in the 4 hours I was there I performed CPR on several patients. This isn't your mommy's medical school, Detroit is a major city with all kinds of health issues going on and WSUSOM is not afraid to send out its M1s into the fray.

About the Ads

Bethesda&Rockstar

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

M1s run/volunteer in a lot of the student run clinics (we have around 15 student run clinics). We are directly involved with patient care and do/learn many things you would be doing in rotations (note writing, presenting to attending, medication reconciliation).

Also, many interest groups do morning rounds shadowing, and while they aren't going to be treating you as the m3 on the team, you will learn and see A LOT at the DMC. Many students shadow doctors as well. I have a few friends who shadow surgeons and will scrub in to watch.

Sep 4, 2019
I just checked the EDP page and apparently they’re changing the GPA/MCAT requirement from 3.65/65th Percentile MCAT to 3.7/70th Percentile for this coming year.

Which is really upsetting to me, because I’m literally one point below the required score now, and I really wanted to apply Early Decision. I am not even sure now how I can retake the MCAT before the application opens up either given so many of the testing sites near me are closed because of the pandemic.

This stinks...

• Dislike
Reactions: PerfectMD

fdizzle12

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical

fdizzle12

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
$30, 2 packs of gum, and 10 toilet paper rolls. I'll throw in a bottle of hand sanitizer. Just gimme that A XD
I know when I've lost lolol

• Haha
Reactions: Abood
Aug 9, 2018
$30, 2 packs of gum, and 10 toilet paper rolls. I'll throw in a bottle of hand sanitizer. Just gimme that A XD
Damn dude, must be loaded. I don't remember the last time I had toliet paper.

This is why med school admissions is unfair, some people just start their lives with more toliet paper and sanitizer than the rest of us.

About the Ads
Dec 2, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Damn dude, must be loaded. I don't remember the last time I had toliet paper.

This is why med school admissions is unfair, some people just start their lives with more toliet paper and sanitizer than the rest of us.
I never said I owned those items. I can hook you up tho even if it means I stay up all night. I'll KNIT YOU TP lmao

CaptainWEMT

Directorate of Disgruntled Cat Toys
2+ Year Member
May 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
$50 and a 10 pack of Goya canned beans.

• Haha
Reactions: fdizzle12
Oct 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did anyone else get a blank access ID / temporary password email? I'm slightly confused..

harryw

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Same! And just to clarify to others reading this; the email does contain content, it's just the actual part where the access ID and temporary password are that appears blank.
Can I ask what the content of those emails related to? I am not asking the particulars, I just want to figure out if I should have received a similar correspondence because I have not received any communication other than Admin is trying to keep up and will be contactable from remote working places.

Oct 17, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Can I ask what the content of those emails related to? I am not asking the particulars, I just want to figure out if I should have received a similar correspondence because I have not received any communication other than Admin is trying to keep up and will be contactable from remote working places.
Subject line: Wayne State University School of Medicine Student ID and Access
Content: I'm pretty sure the email is for anyone who has been accepted. Basically they are sending our access ID and temporary password in order to be able to login to the WSU Academica portal. Here we will be able to view communications and complete additional financial aid requirements.

Reactions: harryw

chocolover777

2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I also received the email that my package is uploaded to the portal. I can't find the actual package though when I log in
It's not in the portal, it's in Academica! You have to log in using your AccessID I think it's called (letter,letter,####, for example, ab1234) that they email out to you. I got a message today saying that if you have not received that, they will send it out next week.

About the Ads