2020-2021 Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing, OOS, LM 73/4, submitted mid July. Anyone know how these rejection waves usually roll, next on the chopping block?
If you haven't been rejected, you are still being considered, but OOS takes a combination of strong GPA, MCAT, and/or above average research, shadowing, volunteering, and/or paid work experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If you haven't been rejected, you are still being considered, but OOS takes a combination of strong GPA, MCAT, and/or above average research, shadowing, volunteering, and/or paid work experience.
From neighbor state and not to seem over-confident because admissions is very unpredictable and am 100% not entitled to an interview based on it, but I have all of those boxes checked and have gotten some love elsewhere too, so hoping for the best, UAB is my dream school though. Just was curious if they do a huge purge of applications or if its several waves or what not

Reactions: 1 user
From neighbor state and not to seem over-confident because admissions is very unpredictable and am 100% not entitled to an interview based on it, but I have all of those boxes checked and have gotten some love elsewhere too, so hoping for the best, UAB is my dream school though. Just was curious if they do a huge purge of applications or if its several waves or what not
If you are rejected (pre or post II) or accepted (after II), they tell you same day (within hours.) If you've heard nothing, you are still under review and they either (1) havent looked at yours or (2) are waiting to know more about the cycle before sending an II.

All in all, not hearing is not bad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many waves including a final wave right after decision day when a few choose elsewhere and new slots open for those on the WL. I interviewed in November and was accepted in January. Two committee meetings were held between the time I interviewed and the time I was accepted, but I know of someone who was accepted in the next ADCOM and someone else accepted even later in the process, so you cannot really figure things out based on timing, and with COVID going on it is going to be even more spread out this year.

Last edited:
Has anyone’s portal changed once they got a post interview decision? Interviewed 10/1 and impatient as heck

Got axed yesterday morning--I just checked my email. LM 71-72, Texas resident. Family in the state, but no significant ties. Best of luck to everyone with gaining admission to a school they can be happy at whether that be at UAB or elsewhere!

Got axed yesterday morning--I just checked my email. LM 71-72, Texas resident. Family in the state, but no significant ties. Best of luck to everyone with gaining admission to a school they can be happy at whether that be at UAB or elsewhere!
when were you marked complete?

1608405095849.png

Any MD/PhD applicants, does anyone know if this is binding? As in, will I have to go to UAB after I accept in their portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R today as well. :sorry:

It’s shocking and disheartening because they were my top choice, and I’m an in-state applicant whose stats fall within range of their median scores of MCAT and GPA. I don’t think there was a red flag either because got an interview to the other instate school.

• Care
When was your complete date
Late July, the interview is in very early March. I wasn't able to check if there are any more before this as I booked it on my phone at work in a rush.

Can some tell me what to expect in the interview for
MS1 student here. Any questions I can help answer?
Can you tell me what kind of questions are asked in MMI are they ethical questions or any thing in general?

Can some tell me what to expect in the interview for

Can you tell me what kind of questions are asked in MMI are they ethical questions or any thing in general?
After completing our interview we had to agree to a nondisclosure so I dont know how many people are gonna be willing to give you specifics.

For anyone who has been accepted and received a phone call on thursday or an email on friday, what time were you contacted?

For anyone who has been accepted and received a phone call on thursday or an email on friday, what time were you contacted?
I received a call right around 5:00pm on Thursday. Maybe 15-30 minutes after the UABSOM account tweeted.

Last edited:
Their meetings are on Thursdays till about 4:30pm, so the earliest call is 4:45pm on that day. They also call all day on Fridays for more acceptances.
I was accepted on a Thursday around 4:45pm (first call after their admissions meeting) and got my acceptance email on Friday around 3:45pm.

Their meetings are on Thursdays till about 4:30pm, so the earliest call is 4:45pm on that day. They also call all day on Fridays for more acceptances.
I was accepted on a Thursday around 4:45pm (first call after their admissions meeting) and got my acceptance email on Friday around 3:45pm.
Gotcha. Do you mind sharing how long after your interview you received your call? I interviewed in September and have heard radio silence ever since.

Gotcha. Do you mind sharing how long after your interview you received your call? I interviewed in September and have heard radio silence ever since.
My interview was in October and my call was in November. They only do the admissions meetings approx. once a month. Their next meeting is TODAY! I recommend monitoring the UAB Med Admissions Twitter (@UABMedAdmission). The major thing they want to remind people is "Interviewees who haven't heard from us are still under consideration. After all interviews are complete for the year, we will create a waitlist with two tiers and inform you of your tier (by early April)."

My interview was in October and my call was in November. They only do the admissions meetings approx. once a month. Their next meeting is TODAY! I recommend monitoring the UAB Med Admissions Twitter (@UABMedAdmission). The major thing they want to remind people is "Interviewees who haven't heard from us are still under consideration. After all interviews are complete for the year, we will create a waitlist with two tiers and inform you of your tier (by early April)."
Thanks, that's what I was trying to hammer down. What I'm seeing makes it basically look like if you don't get a response that following month you will probably be waiting for that waitlist to come out in April. Maybe they recycle old interview individuals too, but I personally haven't heard any stories about that happening.

Do they always call Fridays? There are some days that they state they will call that day and the following day, but most only state the single day.

Hoping we all get some good news soon

How many people are usually accepted from the waitlist? Do they accept people from previously reviewed interview dates at future meetings or is it straight to the waitlist?

Last edited:
UABSOM Admissions tweeted this yesterday:
"Adcom met today. We've reviewed most interviewees from 12/3 and prior (three applicants remaining). Starting to make offer calls. Next adcom is 1/28."

Anyone know what they mean by "three applicants remaining" ?

UABSOM Admissions tweeted this yesterday:
"Adcom met today. We've reviewed most interviewees from 12/3 and prior (three applicants remaining). Starting to make offer calls. Next adcom is 1/28."

Anyone know what they mean by "three applicants remaining" ?
It means there are three interviewees from 12/3 or prior that they didn’t have time to review yesterday. They’ll most likely start with them on 1/28 before moving on to review interviewees from 12/17 or whatever the next interview day was.

Kind of poor taste to send that email about selecting a campus to all people who have interviewed knowing not everyone will be accepted. Plus those who come off the waitlist will be after the campus choice deadline anyway.

Kind of poor taste to send that email about selecting a campus to all people who have interviewed knowing not everyone will be accepted. Plus those who come off the waitlist will be after the campus choice deadline anyway.
That's probably why they let applicants select their campus now; in case they get off the waitlist

That's probably why they let applicants select their campus now; in case they get off the waitlist
Yes, waitlist applicants typically have to take whatever campus assignment is available. But if there are multiple spots available with different campus assignments then they will do their best to match you to it. Hence, all interviewees making a choice.

Has anyone gotten rejected post-II? I was wondering if everyone not accepted who has interviewed is place on the waitlist or if they have started rejecting people who have interviewed.

Has anyone gotten rejected post-II? I was wondering if everyone not accepted who has interviewed is place on the waitlist or if they have started rejecting people who have interviewed.
Unless I am mistaken everyone who interviews is placed either on waitlist 1 or waitlist 2 at the end of the application period if not immediately rejected after the interview.

Last edited:
Since tomorrow is another round of acceptances going out, I had a question for everyone. Has anyone been accepted, but not in the meeting in the month immediately following their interview?