2020-2021 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there is a max word/character count on the 3 essays for AMC Financial Aid?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a max word/character count on the 3 essays for AMC Financial Aid?
Did you ever figure this out? It's the only think that's really hindering me from starting. Like to have an idea of word count before beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if there will be some more events, or zoom meetings/panels, for accepted students to get a better look for the feel of the school? I remember seeing something about a "second-look" day but can't remember :( don't wanna miss anything

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Wish i could help answer your question, but where do you see the 3 essays for AMC Financial Aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else complete in July and complete silence so far?
do they accept update letters?
+1 complete silence, submitted end of August..
And this is from their website, "We do not accept update letters or letters of intent. There is an option to give a brief update in the interview invitation that will be available to the admissions committee during review. Otherwise, the only updates that we accept are new grades."

Reactions: 1 users
Once you submit the FAFSA, you will be emailed the link to the application.
actually looks like the financial aid albany application is in the web advisor financial aid self service so you can submit it through there before you fill out the fafsa.

Anyone having difficulty sending their deposit in? Sent mine back on Dec 30 with 2-day shipping and just looked up the tracking number today and it still has not arrived. Wondering what I should do at this point

Anyone having difficulty sending their deposit in? Sent mine back on Dec 30 with 2-day shipping and just looked up the tracking number today and it still has not arrived. Wondering what I should do at this point
You're good. It took a little over a month before they acknowledged that mine was recieved.

Any pointers for the interview?
Thanks in advance!
Its MMA style, there's alot of free online resources with questions that I strongly recommend using to do mock interviews. I used the camera on my laptop too just to test out how loud I should talk, lighting position and get used to this new online interviewing style. Good luck!

Its MMA style, there's alot of free online resources with questions that I strongly recommend using to do mock interviews. I used the camera on my laptop too just to test out how loud I should talk, lighting position and get used to this new online interviewing style. Good luck!
wow, talk about fighting for a chance in med school. now they asking us to do MMA.

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
I’m assuming it’s mostly ethics questions and situational rather than specifics about me and my app? (Obviously I’m going to review my app and my secondary but I’m spending more time practicing approach to different ethical issues) in your opinion is that a correct way to spend my time leading up to the interview?

I’m assuming it’s mostly ethics questions and situational rather than specifics about me and my app? (Obviously I’m going to review my app and my secondary but I’m spending more time practicing approach to different ethical issues) in your opinion is that a correct way to spend my time leading up to the interview?

Yes

sorry what does UC stand for? Under Consideration?
Yes! Post interview they either accept you, place you under consideration (which you can be pulled off of before it becomes an official alternate list in the spring), or reject you

• Care
Same! I'm actually sad I thought this was my best interview :( this process makes negative sense
I *KNOW* It's not necessarily a bad thing and that most of the class comes from the UC list but it's still rough haha.

And same I really thought I did well on this one. Time to find a hobby to do or something?

• Love
From the experience I've had with MMIs, it's a mix of situational, ethics and specifics questions, which makes sense since the schools will want the best picture of the applicant. I practiced as many different types of MMI question styles as was available. You're never going to know exactly what type they will ask but knowing how to prepare you answer to all the different types will def. be useful! It's a lot of practice but it's going to be worth it to do well on the interview.

I *KNOW* It's not necessarily a bad thing and that most of the class comes from the UC list but it's still rough haha.

And same I really thought I did well on this one. Time to find a hobby to do or something?
They did tell us (coming from a much earlier interview then you) that they wanted to give most everyone a chance to interview and then they would pull from UC

Has anyone completed the financial aid application yet with the three essays? I'm not sure how long they should be since they didn't indicate a suggested word count
Yes, it is weird that there is no word limit but I kept mine less than 250 words for each question.

Anyone interview on 12/11? Curious as to when we'll hear something....

Pre-Interview R this morning! Complete 9/1, good luck to all moving forward!

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
II yesterday! OOS. Scheduled for 1/27. Does anybody know if the class is almost full? Or is the majority still UC to be pulled from later? Also, if anyone has any tips for preparing for MMI interviews, that would be super helpful :)- this is my first interview with that uses this format. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
II yesterday! OOS. Scheduled for 1/27. Does anybody know if the class is almost full? Or is the majority still UC to be pulled from later? Also, if anyone has any tips for preparing for MMI interviews, that would be super helpful :)- this is my first interview with that uses this format. Thanks!
I have seen a mix of acceptances and (more) UC on this thread so far with very few being pulled off the UC list at this point! I have not really seen a lot of post-II rejections yet

For those of you who interviewed how soon did you hear back about your status (R/UC/A)?

Can someone who interviewed answer two questions that I have regarding the format? First, do you go to a different interviewer for each question in the MMI? Also, how much time are you given to read/think through the prompt? Also, is it frowned upon to jot down notes to organize your thoughts before you begin speaking? Thanks!

Can someone who interviewed answer two questions that I have regarding the format? First, do you go to a different interviewer for each question in the MMI? Also, how much time are you given to read/think through the prompt? Also, is it frowned upon to jot down notes to organize your thoughts before you begin speaking? Thanks!
Correct, each station has a different interviewer and you get two minutes to review the prompt before providing an answer. Unless something has changed, we were explicitly asked not to jot anything down when I interviewed and honestly, you really shouldn't need to.

1. Each person you interview with is different (total of 6)
2. You have 2 mins to read/think. 8 mins to answer. You don’t have to talk for the whole 8 mins because they have follow up Qs
3. You’re NOT allowed to take notes. You can take the whole 2 mins to think about the prompt.
Hope this helps!

Does anyone have a guess as to when movement on the UC list starts?? The wait is killing me!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users