2020-2021 Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like if merit is a separate "SCHOLARSHIP" email, then those of us that received loans only today also can get scholarships?
I want to know this too

Members don't see this ad.

Is any ones "loans" amount from finAid nowhere near the cost of attendance? or is that just me lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have an idea of when mid-late February interviewers will hear back? Seems like no more As are going out right now

For those of you who received A’s, how long did you have to respond to the offer? I’m supposed to be off the grid for ~5 days beginning of April and am stressing a bit

For those of you who received A’s, how long did you have to respond to the offer? I’m supposed to be off the grid for ~5 days beginning of April and am stressing a bit
Just set an automatic reply email saying youre off the grid, when you will return and when they can expect to hear back

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone have to share a room in the dorms? the housing guidelines were not particularly clear on this one

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have to share a room in the dorms? the housing guidelines were not particularly clear on this one
No, no sharing rooms. They're not really dorms, they're true apartments with individual bedrooms and a shared kitchen, bathroom, living room. Most students get placed in a 3-bedroom or 2-bedroom, each person has their own bedroom. It gets confusing because they're listed as 2-bedroom and 1-bedroom, but they were renovated to add another bedroom. If you have a spouse you will get a studio apartment; if you have children that will also be accommodated with the appropriate size apartment. Otherwise there is a waiting list for studios you can get on as soon as you sign up for housing, most people get the opportunity to move into a studio around M2/M3 if they want to.

Reactions: 3 users
Uhhh....so Einstein said final dispositions would be sent February 1, but I haven't heard anything since being complete in September? Significance?

Uhhh....so Einstein said final dispositions would be sent February 1, but I haven't heard anything since being complete in September? Significance?
Pretty sure they’re interviewing through April. you’re still in it. They just sent out some II’s not long ago if I’m remembering right

Sorry if this was asked already
but basically I had my interview this morning and I'm sending a thank you email to the interviewer, but is it fine to also send a thank you/update letter to the admissions office? The reason I include update is because I mentioned my update to the interviewer but not in full detail (for ex= I told him I transitioned from a part time remote scribe to an inperson full time scribe but didn't mention that I'm also doing clinical research with the doc I scribe with), so does anyone have a recommendation on whether it's worth sending in a more in depth update to admissions as I'm thanking them/ expressing my intent, or just assume my interviewer passed on the update and that the extra details don't matter?
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Sorry if this was asked already
but basically I had my interview this morning and I'm sending a thank you email to the interviewer, but is it fine to also send a thank you/update letter to the admissions office? The reason I include update is because I mentioned my update to the interviewer but not in full detail (for ex= I told him I transitioned from a part time remote scribe to an inperson full time scribe but didn't mention that I'm also doing clinical research with the doc I scribe with), so does anyone have a recommendation on whether it's worth sending in a more in depth update to admissions as I'm thanking them/ expressing my intent, or just assume my interviewer passed on the update and that the extra details don't matter?
Thanks in advance :)
unrelated but did your interviewer happen to give you an estimation on when you should expect to hear back?

unrelated but did your interviewer happen to give you an estimation on when you should expect to hear back?
Judging from previous posts, we should expect to hear back 4-5 weeks after our interviews. I'm thinking maybe the first 2 weeks of April for March interviewees.

Which email do we send an acceptance withdrawal to? I emailed the admissions account but received no confirmation.

No, no sharing rooms. They're not really dorms, they're true apartments with individual bedrooms and a shared kitchen, bathroom, living room. Most students get placed in a 3-bedroom or 2-bedroom, each person has their own bedroom. It gets confusing because they're listed as 2-bedroom and 1-bedroom, but they were renovated to add another bedroom. If you have a spouse you will get a studio apartment; if you have children that will also be accommodated with the appropriate size apartment. Otherwise there is a waiting list for studios you can get on as soon as you sign up for housing, most people get the opportunity to move into a studio around M2/M3 if they want to.
thank you so much! how do you guys recommend preparing for the interview? mine is in april lol

Hey guys, I just saw this in an old thread about Einstein (back from '09):

"While the Einstein administration was advertised as "student friendly" when I was interviewing, it is anything but. Just one example, and the one that prompted me to write this post, is dealing with residency interviews while on 4th year rotations. First off, you're 4th year mandatory rotation schedule is predetermined by lottery. You can only change it if you can find someone willing to switch with you. As a 4th year applying to the match, you usually try to avoid doing mandatory rotations during the months between November and January... as will all 185 of your classmates. That means that many of us are stuck with busy rotations during interview season. The kicker is that there are attendance limits during these rotations, and absolutely no leeway. For instance, if you're doing neurology, you can only miss 2 days out of a month. If you're doing your sub-I, you might not be allowed to miss any. We've been told from faculty that we either have to cancel interviews, or fail the rotation."

Can any current MS4s in this thread speak to whether this is still true?

"While the Einstein administration was advertised as "student friendly" when I was interviewing, it is anything but. Just one example, and the one that prompted me to write this post, is dealing with residency interviews while on 4th year rotations. First off, you're 4th year mandatory rotation schedule is predetermined by lottery. You can only change it if you can find someone willing to switch with you. As a 4th year applying to the match, you usually try to avoid doing mandatory rotations during the months between November and January... as will all 185 of your classmates. That means that many of us are stuck with busy rotations during interview season. The kicker is that there are attendance limits during these rotations, and absolutely no leeway. For instance, if you're doing neurology, you can only miss 2 days out of a month. If you're doing your sub-I, you might not be allowed to miss any. We've been told from faculty that we either have to cancel interviews, or fail the rotation."

Not an MS4, but '09 was 12 years ago.
Also keep in mind the whole curriculum was just overhauled, so M1+M2 comprise 18 months, and "fourth year" now is actually closer to 17 months. That expanded timeframe gives them more room to put together rotation schedules so you're less likely to be stuck trying to get around required rotations. They've also moved all the required clerkships to M3 so M4 is half Sub-I and half electives the last time I heard an update on it.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not a current MS4, but I'm an MS3 and will be an MS4 in just a couple months. So I have read that thread that you took that from, and a ton of the info in there is very out of date (not surprising since it's over a decade old lol). There are hospitals mentioned there that we don't rotate at anymore, etc. Our 3rd and 4th year clinical requirements have changed a lot since then, and even just since last year. There are many fewer clinical requirements in the 4th year (we now only have 2 required 4 week sub-Is and the rest of the time is electives, interview, or vacation time) and we all get a full month off (December) just for residency interviews, which seemed to be one of their major complaints. I'm making my 4th year schedule now and it's incredibly flexible with only the two required sub-Is. I honestly have so much time to fill idk what to do with it all lol. There are lots of opportunities to do things like reading electives or research during the busy interview months.

How do people feel about how they treated their students during COVID?

So I was an MS2 entering dedicated when covid started. I felt incredibly supported by my administration in restructuring our curriculum around Step 1 cancellations, adapting our clinical rotation schedule, etc. They took a lot of student input into making decisions and kept us informed. Clinical students were vaccinated pretty early on in late December/early January, and pre-clinical just a few weeks later.

I'm not a current MS4, but I'm an MS3 and will be an MS4 in just a couple months. So I have read that thread that you took that from, and a ton of the info in there is very out of date (not surprising since it's over a decade old lol). There are hospitals mentioned there that we don't rotate at anymore, etc. Our 3rd and 4th year clinical requirements have changed a lot since then, and even just since last year. There are many fewer clinical requirements in the 4th year (we now only have 2 required 4 week sub-Is and the rest of the time is electives, interview, or vacation time) and we all get a full month off (December) just for residency interviews, which seemed to be one of their major complaints. I'm making my 4th year schedule now and it's incredibly flexible with only the two required sub-Is. I honestly have so much time to fill idk what to do with it all lol. There are lots of opportunities to do things like reading electives or research during the busy interview months.

So I was an MS2 entering dedicated when covid started. I felt incredibly supported by my administration in restructuring our curriculum around Step 1 cancellations, adapting our clinical rotation schedule, etc. They took a lot of student input into making decisions and kept us informed. Clinical students were vaccinated pretty early on in late December/early January, and pre-clinical just a few weeks later.
Thank you so much! Yeah I figured that Einstein had changed a lot since '09, but some people/programs can definitely get stuck in their ways so I just wanted to double check haha

Reactions: 2 users
How do people feel about how they treated their students during COVID?
They weren't the worst, but certainly not the best and I'll say they've learned a lot from their early missteps.
In the early stages they were very slow to pull students from the wards only doing so after Montefiore said "look they're just in the way we don't want them here." A lot of student concerns in those early town halls for M4s were addressed with some variation of "I just came from the wards actually so you're fine" and a general attitude of "it should be viewed as a privilege." In their own defense that was a common attitude from a lot of senior docs in those early days that they've since gotten away from.
When M3s and M4s returned to the wards the PPE they were initially given by the school was nowhere near the quality given to students at other schools in the city.
During the fall surge in NYC they were slow to walk back in-person instruction despite increasing student concerns and kept moving the goal posts with regards to what they considered the community positivity threshold that would cause them to pull back in-person instruction, first raising the number, and then expanding the definition of "local community" to mean the whole Bronx because our immediate neighborhood hit the threshold earlier.
The current status of our COVID-related operational restrictions on campus is unclear and hasn't been updated since the fall when they said we're in a different phase but didn't say what that was.
Graduate students were pretty much abandoned by the administration from late March - November and they had to get all their information from medical students or MSTPs. I want to be clear here for the MSTP applicants in the thread, I'm separating graduate-phase MSTPs and PhD students. Myles took good care of us and was in frequent contact with the MSTP student body as a whole and the MSTP student council more specifically to make sure we were all alright.

A lot of that is negative so here are some positives:
Housing has done a good job throughout in balancing Montefiore Real Estate's policy directives (they own the building and housing company so technically get to set the rules) with student needs for social interaction and the realities of medical and graduate education. They've also been good about ensuring continued prompt attention to maintenance needs while maintaining tenant safety and making sure quarantine housing is available for students that need it.
The intermediate people involved in all of this (housekeeping, security, etc) have done a phenomenal job responding to concerns both from students and their staff to help make sure everyone felt safe and looked after.
The student population really came together to support one another
Without the pandemic distracting the clinical department chairs they wouldn't have been able to overhaul the curriculum

• Wow
Has anyone who interviewed 02/12/21 heard back yet? Thanks!

Can you explain what you mean here? Is the implication that dept chairs were resistant to changing the curriculum?
Apologies for not being clearer, it probably should have been in the second section or perhaps on its own.
Broad agreement that change was needed because the curriculum had been the same for too long.
But everyone wanted what they wanted and couldn't agree on what to do, which was making it difficult to accomplish, so they decided to just go for it when there wouldn't be as much pushing back.
They're coming around to it after getting over the initial displeasure at the way it was done, but some are still not so happy about having to adjust to shorter timeframes.
At the end of the day it makes sense because students being pulled from the wards gave them the opportunity to restart however they wanted and to avoid having a transition period with two overlapping third year classes.

Apologies for not being clearer, it probably should have been in the second section or perhaps on its own.
Broad agreement that change was needed because the curriculum had been the same for too long.
But everyone wanted what they wanted and couldn't agree on what to do, which was making it difficult to accomplish, so they decided to just go for it when there wouldn't be as much pushing back.
They're coming around to it after getting over the initial displeasure at the way it was done, but some are still not so happy about having to adjust to shorter timeframes.
At the end of the day it makes sense because students being pulled from the wards gave them the opportunity to restart however they wanted and to avoid having a transition period with two overlapping third year classes.
Thanks so much for your insights! It sounds like you're in the PhD part of the MSTP program, so you've already gone through the old curriculum for M1 and M2. Do you have any opinions on the new curriculum or what the general/overall feeling is towards it?

Edit- Does anyone know if our Zoom info sessions are posted anywhere? I'd really like to rewatch the curriculum Zoom

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your insights! It sounds like you're in the PhD part of the MSTP program, so you've already gone through the old curriculum for M1 and M2. Do you have any opinions on the new curriculum or what the general/overall feeling is towards it?

Edit- Does anyone know if our Zoom info sessions are posted anywhere? I'd really like to rewatch the curriculum Zoom
I think the new clinical curriculum sounds good. They've built in elective space to allow you to spend time in specialties you might be interested in and as another poster mentioned, they've added more dedicated time for residency interviews. They've also added a "back to science" section or something of that name to give people a basic science refresher, as a result of feedback they got on graduation questionnaires.

The preclinical curriculum is obviously changing a huge amount because it's getting cut down by 6 months. The biggest changes are anatomy getting cut in half and the Molecular and Cellular Foundations in Medicine hours being substantially increased. Anatomy being cut down makes sense because although our course was phenomenal, it was also (I think) the longest in the country, and it really didn't need to be that long. They're also shifting some parts of it to the appropriate systems courses I think, but not sure if that will involve any lab stuff. MCFM is better thought of as a group of courses instead of one single course. It covers broad range of topics, and while I can't comment on most of them because the MSTPs don't take most of the sections, I think it's one that will really benefit from having more hours.

They're big changes for Einstein but not really all that groundbreaking. Einstein for a long time was a med school curriculum innovator and then it just stopped for a while. So a lot of it is just bringing us in line with an ever increasing proportion of medical schools.

• Love
has anyone who interviewed in 2021 gotten a direct acceptance?

Just received the March Update email. Interviewed on 02/12. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Just got the rolling admissions status email, was told to email them about how I feel about possibly attending. Ummmm, what do I even say?

Just got the rolling admissions status email, was told to email them about how I feel about possibly attending. Ummmm, what do I even say?
they wanna know how much of a diehard albert einstein fan you are

I'm starting to get really nervous...I interviewed 2/8/21 and I haven't heard anything yet...I sent in a letter of intent too. Any thoughts or should I just live in the no new is good news space?

so based on my response, I can get an acceptance or rejection?
now that im not sure. but i would imagine that any response you give could potentially play a role (albeit small) in their final decision

I think someone had already mentioned this but does the rolling admissions email mean you're on high priority wait list? Just got it an hour ago - interviewed 2/19

Anyone still experiencing radio silence? Completed July :(

Anyone still experiencing radio silence? Completed July :(
Seems like there are still a handful of people that have been complete from varying dates that have not received a pre-II R or an II yet. I was complete in early September and still nothing, Einstein is actually the only school I have not heard from post-secondary. Sounds like they are interviewing through April, so maybe some more interviews to go out, but even at that point I have a feeling it may be for WL positions. But who knows

Just got an email about the match list for this year. I don't know if there is a dedicated place for this, but I thought I'd put it here to share.

Attachments

• MATCH_RESULTS_-_EINSTEIN_2021.pdf
    235.9 KB · Views: 262