2020-2021 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Delay email today, roughly 6 weeks after being complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Just so everyone can stop stressing, Dr. Goodell said that the delay email is just an automated system that sends the email after a certain time period since the application was submitted if the application hasn’t been reviewed yet and that it has no bearing on the outcome of the application decision

Reactions: 9 users
II just now! Complete 8/14, never received a delay email so honestly pleasantly surprised and was just waiting for the R.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any BU MAMs alum here? Has BU sent out interviews to MAMs students this year yet?

I know in the past they interviewed MAMs students on the same day (since they didn't have to give them a tour of the campus) but not sure what this year is like.

Any BU MAMs alum here? Has BU sent out interviews to MAMs students this year yet?

I know in the past they interviewed MAMs students on the same day (since they didn't have to give them a tour of the campus) but not sure what this year is like.
I'm a second year MAMS student and I have heard that a few students from our class have been extended interviews already. Not sure if they're doing them all on the same day or not since it's virtual this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone uploaded additional documents to their portal? In the instructions, it says that after uploading your document, the status should change to "Saved" to indicate that BUSM received it, but I don't think I see this change to "Saved"/not sure where to look for this. Anyone else having this issue or know how long it takes for BUSM to save documents?

Interview Invite! So excited for BU! I absolutely love Boston.

Also, the dates available were only for November!

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure if it's been posted in the thread, but folks who have interviewed what was the day's schedule like? I know that they have panels with the dean and students scheduled independently. Curious to see how long the day is.
They all have separate links so you have the freedom to choose different days or time to do virtual tour, student session, and interview separately. Each takes appx one hour.

Not sure if it's been posted in the thread, but folks who have interviewed what was the day's schedule like? I know that they have panels with the dean and students scheduled independently. Curious to see how long the day is.

I legit didn’t do the student session until 3 weeks after my interview because of scheduling conflicts, it’s very flexible! The admin conversation was about 70-80 min for me, the student panel was about an hour.

I legit didn’t do the student session until 3 weeks after my interview because of scheduling conflicts, it’s very flexible! The admin conversation was about 70-80 min for me, the student panel was about an hour.

Is the student session required?

Members don't see this ad :)
It wouldn’t hurt, I sent one to another school and got an II within a couple of days.

From what I've been told, BU is big on post-interview updates/rec letters. Not so much pre-II. But plenty of people probably send both.

II via portal. Didn’t get an email but saw the interview tab open when I checked this morning

Wow! That's crazy that they didn't send you an email, congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete and when the available interview dates were?
Yeah, it was unexpected. Maybe emails go out on Monday. Complete 8/14. Delay email 10/2. The available slots were within the next 7-10 days.

can anyone share some insight into the info session with the dean? Is it just a presentation with time for questions?

@RicochetThis @Unsterotypicalasian @throwaway2020202112345

Congrats on the interviews! Just wanted to quip in real quick though, because I was wondering if anyone else found this interesting?

Why was @throwaway2020202112345 presented with the same Interview dates as @RicochetThis (November), even though their II was sent out a couple of days after @Unsterotypicalasian 's, who was shown mainly the December dates?

Probably means nothing but I thought it was strange lol
I'm obviously none of those people and haven't personally received an II from here yet, but it's probably due to people cancelling interviews and spots opening up!

Reactions: 1 users
what is the delay email?
TLDR: it's an email that was sent out to a majority of applicants after a certain amount of time after their secondaries were submitted. There was a lot of discussion about if it meant anything or if it correlated to a R or an II, but at the end of the day, it's just a courtesy email sent to applicants to let them know that there's a delay in the app review process.

I was curious about this as well. Most sensible reason could be that they had some openings earlier, but not enough to accommodate the entire interview cohort. Additionally, it may be based on the region/time zone (scheduling issues).
I would think it’s probably because of new interview slots becoming available, I ended up cancelling my interview slot in November so things like that could free up earlier times that were previously full

Just got the pre-II R. LM 74, OOS, complete 10/19.

• Love

skepticalchymist SiberianIris Sterlinyx daffodil017 music-medicine

Did you all end up sending a post II update? I'm wondering what to do and how to write mine. I'm thinking of including a summer EMT job that I had from July to Early October that started after I submitted my secondary (I might have talked about this in my interview, but I don't remember), two classes that I'm currently taking which I have A's in right now, my continued crisis counselor volunteering (did future hours on my primary, but probably can't hurt to reiterate this), and my winter EMT job that's starting soon. Then professing my love for BU and their mission. Does that sound like what they are looking for? This is the only school that's explicitly asked for a post-interview update so I'm not exactly sure what to do.

Reactions: 2 users

Did you all end up sending a post II update? I'm wondering what to do and how to write mine. I'm thinking of including a summer EMT job that I had from July to Early October that started after I submitted my secondary (I might have talked about this in my interview, but I don't remember), two classes that I'm currently taking which I have A's in right now, my continued crisis counselor volunteering (did future hours on my primary, but probably can't hurt to reiterate this), and my winter EMT job that's starting soon. Then professing my love for BU and their mission. Does that sound like what they are looking for? This is the only school that's explicitly asked for a post-interview update so I'm not exactly sure what to do.

I did end up writing an update/expression of continued interest. Mine was basically about this volunteer thing I had just started when I submitted - it was on my primary, but since I've now been doing it for 6 months I had a lot more to say about it. I linked it to BU's mission and then reiterated my interest. I think the activities you mention will be great for a BU update, and even better if you can link them to BU's mission and why you want to go there!

just received a II!! For those who have interviewed, how was your experience overall? Is it more conversational or more formal? Any other insight would be appreciated :)

Reactions: 2 users
just received a II!! For those who have interviewed, how was your experience overall? Is it more conversational or more formal? Any other insight would be appreciated :)
Was nervous because further back in the thread and on Reddit someone got challenging/technical questions I think from here? But my interview was the most laid back and enjoyable of inteviews by far (and I've only had conversational interviews). Study the SDN interview feedback page--I didn't get any unexpected questions.

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your complete date?

Was nervous because further back in the thread and on Reddit someone got challenging/technical questions I think from here? But my interview was the most laid back and enjoyable of inteviews by far (and I've only had conversational interviews). Study the SDN interview feedback page--I didn't get any unexpected questions.
Thank you!! I will definitely do this! My interviews thus far have also been very conversational where I talked about TV shows and books I love with a few common questions thrown in (why medicine, the biggest challenge, problem-solving ability/behavioral question, etc), but I did get one tougher question that was about describing a time I put myself in an uncomfortable situation to serve others, but nothing ethical thus far. Would you say your experience was similar to this?

Also, having gone through this forum several times I feel like I should also share this. I submitted 9/16, was marked complete 9/23, received delay email 11/9, and then interview on 11/18...so receiving a delay email does not equal a kiss of death

Thank you!! I will definitely do this! My interviews thus far have also been very conversational where I talked about TV shows and books I love with a few common questions thrown in (why medicine, the biggest challenge, problem-solving ability/behavioral question, etc), but I did get one tougher question that was about describing a time I put myself in an uncomfortable situation to serve others, but nothing ethical thus far. Would you say your experience was similar to this?

Also, having gone through this forum several times I feel like I should also share this. I submitted 9/16, was marked complete 9/23, received delay email 11/9, and then interview on 11/18...so receiving a delay email does not equal a kiss of death
Yes very conversational like that, but with one challenging question, but it wasn't acutally challenging since it was exactly what was on the interview feedback page.

Yes I did pretty much what you did but if you plan on doing so, I recommend you submit it as soon as is humanly possible! I believe that their admissions committee begins meeting around this week and reviewing interviewed applicant files so you want to get your new information in before they get to you. Best of luck!

Yes I did pretty much what you did but if you plan on doing so, I recommend you submit it as soon as is humanly possible! I believe that their admissions committee begins meeting around this week and reviewing interviewed applicant files so you want to get your new information in before they get to you. Best of luck!
Would you recommend updates soon even for in-progress classes, or waiting for grades to come in in mid December before submitting an update?

Would you recommend updates soon even for in-progress classes, or waiting for grades to come in in mid December before submitting an update?
I would hold off if your only update is an in-progress class! An unofficial transcript with new finalized grades on it is the better update in that case, in my opinion.

I did end up writing an update/expression of continued interest. Mine was basically about this volunteer thing I had just started when I submitted - it was on my primary, but since I've now been doing it for 6 months I had a lot more to say about it. I linked it to BU's mission and then reiterated my interest. I think the activities you mention will be great for a BU update, and even better if you can link them to BU's mission and why you want to go there!
Hey thanks for the reply! I like your format and how you tied the two together. I think I'm gonna do my updated activities and then a few paragraphs about my interest in BU and why. Did you address your letter to the admissions committee or to Dr. Goodell?

Hey thanks for that reminder. I'm going to submit it tonight I think. Idk about the rest of you, but after finishing my secondaries in July, writing anything has become very difficult.

Did you address your letter to the committee or to Dr. Goodell? I never know who to write these to.

Hey thanks for that reminder. I'm going to submit it tonight I think. Idk about the rest of you, but after finishing my secondaries in July, writing anything has become very difficult.

Did you address your letter to the committee or to Dr. Goodell? I never know who to write these to.
I feel ya haha! I addressed mine to the Admissions Committee