2020-2021 Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else not heard anything who has interviewed already? I interviewed that last week of August and am super nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just the opposite! I thought it went very well. My app also is really focused on UB and buffalo too so a waitlist has me pretty upset. 3.98 516

That's upsetting for sure. Makes me question my performance on some recent interviews. If that's the case though, perhaps you're likely to get off that waitlist. Do you think they didn't put enough weight on the actual interview?

Reactions: 1 user
but then again the thought of attending a school that didn't really want you in the first place has me torn mentally.
Might seem a bit hollow coming from someone with 0 IIs but does it really matter if you get an A right away vs. getting off the waitlist? If you accept the offer of admission then you’re as much of a part of the student body as the very first person who got an A. You have access to all the same resources and opportunities. You wouldn’t be seen as less of a student by either fellow students or administrators.

so I’d say if you get in and you really do think it’s the best med school for you then how you got your A shouldn’t matter

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be accepted by UB by any means necessary too. Got waitlisted this morning as well, and yea it doesn’t feel great... but the opportunity is still out there. Just have to stay patient and pray the opportunity will present itself.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they place a majority of their interviewees on the waitlist. I talked to a current student who said ~60% of class came from waitlist
To be fair, 60% of most classes, even top institutions like NYU, comes from the waitlist.

• Wow
i heard buffalo was especially notorious of waitlisting eventual matriculants. apparently they accept a BUNCH of ppl from their WL. But we won’t hear much till the end of the cycle once ppl start enrolling in their top choices

To be fair, 60% of most classes, even top institutions like NYU, comes from the waitlist.
Where are the stats on this lol? Im just curious how people know this? Or more just word of mouth?

Where are the stats on this lol? Im just curious how people know this? Or more just word of mouth?
Straight from the mouth of the NYU dean of admissions this year. Other schools have given a similar number in the past too besides UB.

For accepted students, how long does it takes for the portal to update your deposit status... Paid like 24hrs ago

Waitlisted MD-PhD :confused: And here I thought my interviews went really well... (stats in signature, interviewed 9/24 and 9/28)

I'm curious about the wording in this waitlist email? Mine says "your application has been placed on our WAITLIST in a very high position" (bolding mine) but I don't know if they're serious about that or if they're just trying to make me feel better. Could any other waitlisted applicants (MD-PhD or not) provide additional info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted MD-PhD :confused: And here I thought my interviews went really well... (stats in signature, interviewed 9/24 and 9/28)

I'm curious about the wording in this waitlist email? Mine says "your application has been placed on our WAITLIST in a very high position" (bolding mine) but I don't know if they're serious about that or if they're just trying to make me feel better. Could any other waitlisted applicants (MD-PhD or not) provide additional info?
damn i didn’t have that highlighted part... i really hope this is just an MD-PhD thingy majingy

damn i didn’t have that highlighted part... i really hope this is just an MD-PhD thingy majingy

Yeah, the email came from the MD-PhD coordinator, not anyone on the MD side of things so it could be separate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did anybody pay the deposit (over 48 hours ago), get an email receipt, and still see the "click here to pay your deposit" link on the portal? I'm not sure if this is always on the portal or if it means your deposit isn't processed yet.

Did anybody pay the deposit (over 48 hours ago), get an email receipt, and still see the "click here to pay your deposit" link on the portal? I'm not sure if this is always on the portal or if it means your deposit isn't processed yet.

yeah, same here, paid on Monday. I emailed the admissions office tho and they said all my stuff is in if that helps

Can confirm that most of my class (current M2), including myself, came off the waitlist. And waitlist movement begins pretty damn early, anywhere from 2 weeks after your interview to as late as July. I personally got off the waitlist in late June and I know multiple people got accepted the week after their interview. I don't know how covid has affected this but I'm sure it's not so different

Edit: Had early late Nov II, early Feb interview

Any September interviewers still not hear anything back yet? Even a waitlist decision? I’m very confused lol idk what this means

Any September interviewers still not hear anything back yet? Even a waitlist decision? I’m very confused lol idk what this means
I interviewed 3rd week of August. I have not heard any decision. No WL or A. This wait sucks but I’m holding out hope.

I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but does TAP provide financial aid for medical school? I've already filled out my FAFSA for the upcoming year, wondering if I should fill out the TAP.

I realize this may sound like a stupid question, but does TAP provide financial aid for medical school? I've already filled out my FAFSA for the upcoming year, wondering if I should fill out the TAP.
I asked one of my friends, who is already in medical school. She said you should fill it out regardless. Unfortunately, the chances of them offering a grant or anything at all is scattered for any graduate study

Can confirm that most of my class (current M2), including myself, came off the waitlist. And waitlist movement begins pretty damn early, anywhere from 2 weeks after your interview to as late as July. I personally got off the waitlist in late June and I know multiple people got accepted the week after their interview. I don't know how covid has affected this but I'm sure it's not so different

Edit: Had early late Nov II, early Feb interview
So just curious, if we got waitlisted recently, it’s possible we hear back soon-ish? Or more likely won’t be till after April?

Anyone know how long until we should hear back if we interview this week?

So just curious, if we got waitlisted recently, it’s possible we hear back soon-ish? Or more likely won’t be till after April?
Anytime from a week or two till a few weeks before first day in August. So to confirm, hell yeah it's possible you could hear soon

Anytime from a week or two till a few weeks before first day in August. So to confirm, hell yeah it's possible you could hear soon
why dont they send out more A’s instead of WL’s if majority of their class come from the WL anyway

Still nothing from them and I interviewed sep 16 lol this is so weird

why dont they send out more A’s instead of WL’s if majority of their class come from the WL anyway
This cycle is weird but during my cycle two years ago they used to send decisions the day after your interview since the adcom met that Wednesday night after interviews. To the best of my knowledge, how it works is someone is chosen to present your file and then the committee votes on you. Based on number of votes, 8-10 is acceptance, 6-7 is waitlist, and 1-5 is denied.

So I'm guessing at every meeting they discuss the waitlist again and try to admit the same amount of people per interview cohort and use the waitlist to supplement if enough people didn't get in outright.

Covid probably affects how often the committee is able to meet so how it's working this semester is different but the main reason they utilize the waitlist so much is flexibility. They really push the idea that the date of your interview has a low impact on your admission chances, i.e. September vs. February

TAP doesn't apply towards graduate degrees, as it is only for undergraduates. FAFSA is all you need, when I first got admitted I went through this problem

This cycle is weird but during my cycle two years ago they used to send decisions the day after your interview since the adcom met that Wednesday night after interviews. To the best of my knowledge, how it works is someone is chosen to present your file and then the committee votes on you. Based on number of votes, 8-10 is acceptance, 6-7 is waitlist, and 1-5 is denied.

So I'm guessing at every meeting they discuss the waitlist again and try to admit the same amount of people per interview cohort and use the waitlist to supplement if enough people didn't get in outright.

Covid probably affects how often the committee is able to meet so how it's working this semester is different but the main reason they utilize the waitlist so much is flexibility. They really push the idea that the date of your interview has a low impact on your admission chances, i.e. September vs. February
Do they actually send rejections or is it more of just a silence? I interviewed third week of August and have heard nothing. No WL and no A.

It's still early in the interview process. They probably want to go through all qualified candidates as opposed to filling the whole class early in the cycle.

It's still early in the interview process. They probably want to go through all qualified candidates as opposed to filling the whole class early in the cycle.
this makes sense!

II on 10/16, and accepted on 10/30 (email).
3.75 sGPA, Engineering undergrad, URM, 509 MCAT.

The interview was short and sweet, did not feel like I was exceptional, very standard questions. Not stressful since did not really dig at answers, they just took them at face value.

• Love
Has anyone received an II from here with a low MCAT? I have heard friends (with my identical MCAT) say they got autorejected, but then I got an II from Downstate who has a signifantly higher MCAT, so I am wondering whether or not I am being hopelessly optimistic. Native Buffalonian trying to get some love from the hometown school hahaha :lol:

Anyone else interview in August still not hear back? I interviewed 3rd week of august but still nothing since the student q and a

Reactions: 2 users
I'm getting anxious to hear back. I only interviewed last week and I know people who interviewed months ago are still waiting but the thought that they can send an email anytime is always in the back of my head.

Does anyone who interviewed last week and went to the Q&A know if they said anything about when we could possibly hear back? I wasn't able to go unfortunately

They accept pre-II updates? Anyone got a clue?

Are any OOS getting II? Complete mid August and have not heard back at all.

I'm getting anxious to hear back. I only interviewed last week and I know people who interviewed months ago are still waiting but the thought that they can send an email anytime is always in the back of my head.

Does anyone who interviewed last week and went to the Q&A know if they said anything about when we could possibly hear back? I wasn't able to go unfortunately
I know from other people affiliated with the school that they sort applications in a random order before interview, hence the giant block of text saying it doesn't matter when we submit our secondary in terms of who gets reviewed first.

I'm going to take a guess and say they do the same thing after interviews. I interviewed at the end of September and some other people I know did even earlier and they are strong candidates and haven't heard back. I wouldn't worry!

I interviewed 11/12 and my interviewer said I would hear back first week of Dec...I hope that is true lol!

jacobs said that they are accepting Jan. mcat cuz of covid. With that in mind, what are the chances of getting an II and an A after Feb?