-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Buffalo
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just the opposite! I thought it went very well. My app also is really focused on UB and buffalo too so a waitlist has me pretty upset. 3.98 516
That's upsetting for sure. Makes me question my performance on some recent interviews. If that's the case though, perhaps you're likely to get off that waitlist. Do you think they didn't put enough weight on the actual interview?
D
deleted1058452
Might seem a bit hollow coming from someone with 0 IIs but does it really matter if you get an A right away vs. getting off the waitlist? If you accept the offer of admission then you’re as much of a part of the student body as the very first person who got an A. You have access to all the same resources and opportunities. You wouldn’t be seen as less of a student by either fellow students or administrators.but then again the thought of attending a school that didn't really want you in the first place has me torn mentally.
so I’d say if you get in and you really do think it’s the best med school for you then how you got your A shouldn’t matter
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
macbrian97
Full Member
Waitlisted as well, interviewed 8/31
To be fair, 60% of most classes, even top institutions like NYU, comes from the waitlist.I think they place a majority of their interviewees on the waitlist. I talked to a current student who said ~60% of class came from waitlist
inked.cuse
Full Member
Where are the stats on this lol? Im just curious how people know this? Or more just word of mouth?To be fair, 60% of most classes, even top institutions like NYU, comes from the waitlist.
Does this school accept updates pre-II ? Or even post-II ?
Straight from the mouth of the NYU dean of admissions this year. Other schools have given a similar number in the past too besides UB.Where are the stats on this lol? Im just curious how people know this? Or more just word of mouth?
+1 WL from II 9/25
wpneuro
Full Member
Waitlisted MD-PhD 😕 And here I thought my interviews went really well... (stats in signature, interviewed 9/24 and 9/28)
I'm curious about the wording in this waitlist email? Mine says "your application has been placed on our WAITLIST in a very high position" (bolding mine) but I don't know if they're serious about that or if they're just trying to make me feel better. Could any other waitlisted applicants (MD-PhD or not) provide additional info?
I'm curious about the wording in this waitlist email? Mine says "your application has been placed on our WAITLIST in a very high position" (bolding mine) but I don't know if they're serious about that or if they're just trying to make me feel better. Could any other waitlisted applicants (MD-PhD or not) provide additional info?
damn i didn’t have that highlighted part... i really hope this is just an MD-PhD thingy majingyWaitlisted MD-PhD 😕 And here I thought my interviews went really well... (stats in signature, interviewed 9/24 and 9/28)
I'm curious about the wording in this waitlist email? Mine says "your application has been placed on our WAITLIST in a very high position" (bolding mine) but I don't know if they're serious about that or if they're just trying to make me feel better. Could any other waitlisted applicants (MD-PhD or not) provide additional info?
wpneuro
Full Member
damn i didn’t have that highlighted part... i really hope this is just an MD-PhD thingy majingy
Yeah, the email came from the MD-PhD coordinator, not anyone on the MD side of things so it could be separate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Coolestranch
New Member
Did anybody pay the deposit (over 48 hours ago), get an email receipt, and still see the "click here to pay your deposit" link on the portal? I'm not sure if this is always on the portal or if it means your deposit isn't processed yet.
II! 511 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, IS, Complete 7/29
Did anybody pay the deposit (over 48 hours ago), get an email receipt, and still see the "click here to pay your deposit" link on the portal? I'm not sure if this is always on the portal or if it means your deposit isn't processed yet.
yeah, same here, paid on Monday. I emailed the admissions office tho and they said all my stuff is in if that helps
same, called themyeah, same here, paid on Monday. I emailed the admissions office tho and they said all my stuff is in if that helps
Can confirm that most of my class (current M2), including myself, came off the waitlist. And waitlist movement begins pretty damn early, anywhere from 2 weeks after your interview to as late as July. I personally got off the waitlist in late June and I know multiple people got accepted the week after their interview. I don't know how covid has affected this but I'm sure it's not so different
Edit: Had early late Nov II, early Feb interview
Edit: Had early late Nov II, early Feb interview
D
deleted1054798
Any September interviewers still not hear anything back yet? Even a waitlist decision? I’m very confused lol idk what this means
Maybe it means the person is still under consideration for an A?Any September interviewers still not hear anything back yet? Even a waitlist decision? I’m very confused lol idk what this means
I interviewed 3rd week of August. I have not heard any decision. No WL or A. This wait sucks but I’m holding out hope.Any September interviewers still not hear anything back yet? Even a waitlist decision? I’m very confused lol idk what this means
I asked one of my friends, who is already in medical school. She said you should fill it out regardless. Unfortunately, the chances of them offering a grant or anything at all is scattered for any graduate studyI realize this may sound like a stupid question, but does TAP provide financial aid for medical school? I've already filled out my FAFSA for the upcoming year, wondering if I should fill out the TAP.
inked.cuse
Full Member
So just curious, if we got waitlisted recently, it’s possible we hear back soon-ish? Or more likely won’t be till after April?Can confirm that most of my class (current M2), including myself, came off the waitlist. And waitlist movement begins pretty damn early, anywhere from 2 weeks after your interview to as late as July. I personally got off the waitlist in late June and I know multiple people got accepted the week after their interview. I don't know how covid has affected this but I'm sure it's not so different
Edit: Had early late Nov II, early Feb interview
Anytime from a week or two till a few weeks before first day in August. So to confirm, hell yeah it's possible you could hear soonSo just curious, if we got waitlisted recently, it’s possible we hear back soon-ish? Or more likely won’t be till after April?
why dont they send out more A’s instead of WL’s if majority of their class come from the WL anywayAnytime from a week or two till a few weeks before first day in August. So to confirm, hell yeah it's possible you could hear soon
D
deleted1054798
Still nothing from them and I interviewed sep 16 lol this is so weird
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This cycle is weird but during my cycle two years ago they used to send decisions the day after your interview since the adcom met that Wednesday night after interviews. To the best of my knowledge, how it works is someone is chosen to present your file and then the committee votes on you. Based on number of votes, 8-10 is acceptance, 6-7 is waitlist, and 1-5 is denied.why dont they send out more A’s instead of WL’s if majority of their class come from the WL anyway
So I'm guessing at every meeting they discuss the waitlist again and try to admit the same amount of people per interview cohort and use the waitlist to supplement if enough people didn't get in outright.
Covid probably affects how often the committee is able to meet so how it's working this semester is different but the main reason they utilize the waitlist so much is flexibility. They really push the idea that the date of your interview has a low impact on your admission chances, i.e. September vs. February
TAP doesn't apply towards graduate degrees, as it is only for undergraduates. FAFSA is all you need, when I first got admitted I went through this problemI realize this may sound like a stupid question, but does TAP provide financial aid for medical school? I've already filled out my FAFSA for the upcoming year, wondering if I should fill out the TAP.
Do they actually send rejections or is it more of just a silence? I interviewed third week of August and have heard nothing. No WL and no A.This cycle is weird but during my cycle two years ago they used to send decisions the day after your interview since the adcom met that Wednesday night after interviews. To the best of my knowledge, how it works is someone is chosen to present your file and then the committee votes on you. Based on number of votes, 8-10 is acceptance, 6-7 is waitlist, and 1-5 is denied.
So I'm guessing at every meeting they discuss the waitlist again and try to admit the same amount of people per interview cohort and use the waitlist to supplement if enough people didn't get in outright.
Covid probably affects how often the committee is able to meet so how it's working this semester is different but the main reason they utilize the waitlist so much is flexibility. They really push the idea that the date of your interview has a low impact on your admission chances, i.e. September vs. February
They send ya a response after you interview, won't be silenceDo they actually send rejections or is it more of just a silence? I interviewed third week of August and have heard nothing. No WL and no A.
It's still early in the interview process. They probably want to go through all qualified candidates as opposed to filling the whole class early in the cycle.why dont they send out more A’s instead of WL’s if majority of their class come from the WL anyway
this makes sense!It's still early in the interview process. They probably want to go through all qualified candidates as opposed to filling the whole class early in the cycle.
f_my_drag_right
Full Member
II on 10/16, and accepted on 10/30 (email).
3.75 sGPA, Engineering undergrad, URM, 509 MCAT.
The interview was short and sweet, did not feel like I was exceptional, very standard questions. Not stressful since did not really dig at answers, they just took them at face value.
3.75 sGPA, Engineering undergrad, URM, 509 MCAT.
The interview was short and sweet, did not feel like I was exceptional, very standard questions. Not stressful since did not really dig at answers, they just took them at face value.
sup_cyclohexane
Full Member
Has anyone sent an update letter? If so, what email did you send to? Thanks in advance!!
Has anyone received an II from here with a low MCAT? I have heard friends (with my identical MCAT) say they got autorejected, but then I got an II from Downstate who has a signifantly higher MCAT, so I am wondering whether or not I am being hopelessly optimistic. Native Buffalonian trying to get some love from the hometown school hahaha 😆
Premedhopeful97
New Member
Anyone else interview in August still not hear back? I interviewed 3rd week of august but still nothing since the student q and a
I’m in the same boat. 3rd week of August, no word yet.Anyone else interview in August still not hear back? I interviewed 3rd week of august but still nothing since the student q and a
I'm getting anxious to hear back. I only interviewed last week and I know people who interviewed months ago are still waiting but the thought that they can send an email anytime is always in the back of my head.
Does anyone who interviewed last week and went to the Q&A know if they said anything about when we could possibly hear back? I wasn't able to go unfortunately
Does anyone who interviewed last week and went to the Q&A know if they said anything about when we could possibly hear back? I wasn't able to go unfortunately
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
Are any OOS getting II? Complete mid August and have not heard back at all.
qwertyjuice
Full Member
I know from other people affiliated with the school that they sort applications in a random order before interview, hence the giant block of text saying it doesn't matter when we submit our secondary in terms of who gets reviewed first.I'm getting anxious to hear back. I only interviewed last week and I know people who interviewed months ago are still waiting but the thought that they can send an email anytime is always in the back of my head.
Does anyone who interviewed last week and went to the Q&A know if they said anything about when we could possibly hear back? I wasn't able to go unfortunately
I'm going to take a guess and say they do the same thing after interviews. I interviewed at the end of September and some other people I know did even earlier and they are strong candidates and haven't heard back. I wouldn't worry!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed 11/12 and my interviewer said I would hear back first week of Dec...I hope that is true lol!
sup_cyclohexane
Full Member
ooooh where did you hear that?!jacobs said that they are accepting Jan. mcat cuz of covid. With that in mind, what are the chances of getting an II and an A after Feb?
laura herself, im currently studying to redo an mcat late january and laura knowsooooh where did you hear that?!
sup_cyclohexane
Full Member
nice! i wonder if other schools will also accept jan scores, even if they're not publicizing that.laura herself, im currently studying to redo an mcat late january and laura knows