2020-2021 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Carolinas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were you ever on hold presecondary here?

No. I just submitted my primary last week. I’ve been talking to admissions and they told me that they normally accept students with a 3.4-3.5 GPA. With their recalc of the last 120 hours my GPA becomes like a 3.59. Hoping to receive a secondary this week from them.

Members don't see this ad.

No. I just submitted my primary last week. I’ve been talking to admissions and they told me that they normally accept students with a 3.4-3.5 GPA. With their recalc of the last 120 hours my GPA becomes like a 3.59. Hoping to receive a secondary this week from them.

ah. yeah i'm probably gonna get ghosted here.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
ah. yeah i'm probably gonna get ghosted here.

A previous student messaged me and told me about there 120 hour rule where they recalc your GPA if you have over 140 credit hours. Luckily I have 148 and a majority of my crappy grades were in those first 28 that fall off!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 140 but I think that actually hurts me since my junior year was what really killed my GPA. Oh well, I knew when I submitted here that it was a hail mary but figured it was worth a shot.

• Love
I have 140 but I think that actually hurts me since my junior year was what really killed my GPA. Oh well, I knew when I submitted here that it was a hail mary but figured it was worth a shot.

You got this! I applied to Harvard as my throw away school ‍♂️

• Haha
anyone else not recieve a secondary yet? I had gotten an email saying they would review my application 8/10 before sending a secondary and I still dont have one yet.

I know of a few people who are still waiting for a secondary after receiving the "under review" email.

Last month I got an Application pending review but haven't received the secondary and my stats are above their average ....Idk if it takes longer to send the secondary or I got screened out for a secondary. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a secondary after the initial email that they're reviewing whether or not they'll send u a secondary?

Last month I got an Application pending review but haven't received the secondary and my stats are above their average ....Idk if it takes longer to send the secondary or I got screened out for a secondary. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a secondary after the initial email that they're reviewing whether or not they'll send u a secondary?
I think it varies it may be extended now as im sure more people have applied but I got the pending review back on 6/24 and received the actual secondary on 6/25.

Anyone got IIs yet? I was looking at last year's sdn for VCOM-CC, it looks like they're going to send some IIs next week.

II for Carolinas! Got the call this morning!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! Secondary submitted 08/28 , marked complete 08/31

Stats: 3.78 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA, 513 MCAT

Question: I marked Virginia as my preferred campus h. Does anyone know If my application is still in the running for virgnia, or will I only get this II for carolinas?

Best of luck to all of you!!

I still haven't received a secondary. I did add the schools late in the cycle but I am worried.

I still haven't received a secondary. I did add the schools late in the cycle but I am worried.

I submitted my primary first day, and I've been on hold for a secondary since June. When I emailed them maybe a month ago, they assured me they're still working through applications to screen for secondaries, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

I submitted my primary first day, and I've been on hold for a secondary since June. When I emailed them maybe a month ago, they assured me they're still working through applications to screen for secondaries, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Makes me feel better. Thanks!

Just realized they require a DO letter. Because of COVID, I don't think I will be able to find a DO to shadow in time (the DOs I did shadow in the past were like 2 years ago and 4 hours each).

Does anyone know if I can use my personal physician (who is a DO) to write the LOR?

Just realized they require a DO letter. Because of COVID, I don't think I will be able to find a DO to shadow in time (the DOs I did shadow in the past were like 2 years ago and 4 hours each).

Does anyone know if I can use my personal physician (who is a DO) to write the LOR?

They require one within 30 days of acceptance. So I feel like you should be able to find a DO (be it the ones you shadowed or your PCP) to write you one if you say "if I don't get a letter, my acceptance gets rescinded."

II just now! Secondary submitted 08/28 , marked complete 08/31

Stats: 3.78 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA, 513 MCAT

Question: I marked Virginia as my preferred campus h. Does anyone know If my application is still in the running for virgnia, or will I only get this II for carolinas?

Best of luck to all of you!!

So if you interview at Carolina you will only be considered there and not be considered at any other campus, if you really want to go to Virginia I would call the office at VA campus and let them know you want to make them your primary choice but you would in effect lose the interview at SC. I did this last year and interview at VA later and am an OMS-1 now! With your stats I wouldn’t be surprised if you got an interview invite from VA if you did decide to switch

They require one within 30 days of acceptance. So I feel like you should be able to find a DO (be it the ones you shadowed or your PCP) to write you one if you say "if I don't get a letter, my acceptance gets rescinded."

When I attended one of their virtual info sessions, I remember they mentioned in passing that because of COVID, they would be waiving the DO letter requirement this year. I haven't seen that anywhere since, so I'm not sure about the veracity of this. Can anyone confirm or remember the same?

When I attended one of their virtual info sessions, I remember they mentioned in passing that because of COVID, they would be waiving the DO letter requirement this year. I haven't seen that anywhere since, so I'm not sure about the veracity of this. Can anyone confirm or remember the same?

That would be great if that's the case. Although I still haven't received a secondary so I'm not sure how much that matters to me :laugh:

I hope this is the case! I may contact them to make sure.

I was told by a student that it may take longer to receive a secondary if you have over 140 credit hours because they will recalculate your GPA of just the last 120 credit hours. So, I’m hoping this is what’s taking so long lmfao

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was told by a student that it may take longer to receive a secondary if you have over 140 credit hours because they will recalculate your GPA of just the last 120 credit hours. So, I’m hoping this is what’s taking so long lmfao

I have 183 credit hours (non-trad student here), so not sure it it helps you but this is how it went for me:
Primary submitted 07/24. Secondary invite 07/30. Secondary submitted 07/31. "Application Complete" e-mail 09/03. Considering how long it took to get the complete email, I would guess that their systems are starting to get pretty backed up by now so things are taking longer.

• Love
I have 183 credit hours (non-trad student here), so not sure it it helps you but this is how it went for me:
Primary submitted 07/24. Secondary invite 07/30. Secondary submitted 07/31. "Application Complete" e-mail 09/03. Considering how long it took to get the complete email, I would guess that their systems are starting to get pretty backed up by now so things are taking longer.

I appreciate you responding! Yea I’m sure it’s just getting a little backed up. I have about 148 credits so I’m hoping that’s what’s taking a while. Patience is something I need to work on with this applicant cycle LOL.

Yes, they are waiving the letter for this cycle due to COVID

I can't find this on their FAQs. Does anyone know if you can receive a secondary from VCOM of not all of your LOR are submitted? For other schools I have but I'm not sure if VCOM is the same way.

I can't find this on their FAQs. Does anyone know if you can receive a secondary from VCOM of not all of your LOR are submitted? For other schools I have but I'm not sure if VCOM is the same way.

I got mine before my committee letter had been submitted

Finally got the email about the Virtual Physician Experience. Does anyone know if this is truly optional or if it's strongly encouraged that we attend one?

Finally got the email about the Virtual Physician Experience. Does anyone know if this is truly optional or if it's strongly encouraged that we attend one?
It's just an additional opportunity for those that were not able to get shadowing + doctor letter due to covid! But if you're comfortable with the shadowing hours you already have then probably don't need to worry about it. I did the first one and really liked it, the docs they had speak were awesome so if you have the time I think it would be worth it.

It's just an additional opportunity for those that were not able to get shadowing + doctor letter due to covid! But if you're comfortable with the shadowing hours you already have then probably don't need to worry about it. I did the first one and really liked it, the docs they had speak were awesome so if you have the time I think it would be worth it.

Thank for the details! That provides a lot of helpful context.

II from Carolinas! LM 71 (PM for exact stats), ORM, complete 08/18/20, from the Carolinas. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a II call! LM 66, ORM, OOS. My interview is scheduled for next Wednesday! Submitted 7/21

• Love
I appreciate you responding! Yea I’m sure it’s just getting a little backed up. I have about 148 credits so I’m hoping that’s what’s taking a while. Patience is something I need to work on with this applicant cycle LOL.

Wait have you gotten a secondary from them yet?

Are they pretty selective about secondaries here? Got the email I was under review July 15th and haven't heard from them since

Hi there! Just got my II this morning. GPA 3.93, MCAT 504, OOS with strong ties to VA. Can anyone clarify the section on the Interview Update Form that says: "Also please supply VCOM with a listing of your courses and grades NOW, prior to your interview. We will accept a grade report or unofficial transcript from you now BUT YOU MUST also supply AACOMAS with an official transcript to update your profile:"

Is this only if we have new classes we've taken since submitting the secondary? Thanks!

All i keep getting is emails that start with "You're Invited" and its nothing but a virtual open house. Very annoying.

Reactions: 4 users
Are they pretty selective about secondaries here? Got the email I was under review July 15th and haven't heard from them since
Same. I've been "under review" since July 2nd.... I got a secondary last year from them too. But I've made improvements so I'm not sure if I should call.

Does submitting a secondary late (like a month and a half) destroy your chances? I initially thought my GPA was way too low but decided to just submit. I submitted my secondary just now.

Hi there! Just got my II this morning. GPA 3.93, MCAT 504, OOS with strong ties to VA. Can anyone clarify the section on the Interview Update Form that says: "Also please supply VCOM with a listing of your courses and grades NOW, prior to your interview. We will accept a grade report or unofficial transcript from you now BUT YOU MUST also supply AACOMAS with an official transcript to update your profile:"

Is this only if we have new classes we've taken since submitting the secondary? Thanks!

Yes, so lets say when you initially submitted your primary you were still taking classes and hadnt received your final grade. At the time of the II, they want to know if you received any final grades for said classes. This is mostly for any recent graduates that applied around may/june and may have not had complete transcripts. Hope this helps clarify.

Yes, so lets say when you initially submitted your primary you were still taking classes and hadnt received your final grade. At the time of the II, they want to know if you received any final grades for said classes. This is mostly for any recent graduates that applied around may/june and may have not had complete transcripts. Hope this helps clarify.

Does that mean they won't interview you until you've completed those classes?

I still haven't received a secondary from this school, still under "pending review"

Does anyone know when do they send out the zoom link for virtual shadowing? usually the day before?