2020-2021 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’d say, based entirely on last week and almost no hard data or longer trends, that since an interviewee from Dec 4th got accepted last week, that there will be acceptances for those who interviewed the following week tomorrow. Also I’m just hopeful cause that’s when I interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
How long after the vita invite did you guys get a II? (I got the vita invite today, so I am assuming they won't process my completed vita until tomorrow since it will be Thursday)
It was the morning after I completed it at around 10-12

Do you guys think there is still hope for an early October interviewee to get an A? Asking for a friend ofc

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think there is still hope for an early October interviewee to get an A? Asking for a friend ofc
I'll be that friend. I'm waiting for the WL email which should be coming out soon, unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 users
The admissions committee told me yesterday that they are still hosting weekly interviews through the next couple of weeks. Based on this, your friend still has a chance to get an A.

How long after the vita invite did you guys get a II? (I got the vita invite today, so I am assuming they won't process my completed vita until tomorrow since it will be Thursday)
It took weeks for my actual II. Most people generally get it within a day. My case may have been specific as an MD/PhD applicant.

Do they differentiate WL and deferral? I’m waiting for one as well.
Not at all sure. We just gotta wait I think. I did hear that waitlists were expected this week though but that information could be wrong. Doesn’t seem like anyone’s received WL or deferral

Not at all sure. We just gotta wait I think. I did hear that waitlists were expected this week though but that information could be wrong. Doesn’t seem like anyone’s received WL or deferral
They’re probably just waiting to ruin our weekends lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody that interview on 12/11 hear back?

They are still interviewing every Wednesday, so I would give them the benefit of the doubt for dates. Most people will find out in March based on what was mentioned during the recent Zoom calls.

They are still interviewing every Wednesday, so I would give them the benefit of the doubt for dates. Most people will find out in March based on what was mentioned during the recent Zoom calls.
For A's and also WL/R's?

Where do the med students typically rotate? Is it common for students to rotate in hospitals in NYC? (and if so, do students commute or choose to live closer to the city?) Thanks for your help!

Great question! Northwell has hospitals spread out throughout Long Island and the greater NYC area (Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester). Our main teaching hospitals are North Shore (on Long Island), Long Island Jewish (in Queens) and Lennox Hill (In Manhattan). That being said there are at least a half dozen more large hospitals all throughout the island and NYC you can rotate at! Most people do a mix of NYC and Long Island, but you can choose to do most of your rotations at one hospital (pediatrics and psychiatry are at dedicated hospitals).

The med school building is on Long Island so most people choose to live on Long Island near the school for the first two years to have an easier commute. It's totally doable to commune from Manhattan to the school, but it takes time and time is precious in med school. Most people then move between second and third year to be close to the hospitals they're rotating at - Someone rotating primarily in Manhattan will move to Manhattan, someone rotating in Queens will move to Queens, etc.

Personally I live in NYC and love it, I have all the benefits of living in the city and I'm not too far from any of my hospitals. But really you can make nearly anything work if you have a particular area you want to live or do your rotations in!

Any MD/PhD hear anything post-interview? Seems like they might be just waiting until everything's done instead of doing rolling decisions... I haven't heard anything in a while, whether it be R, A, or WL/hold/defer 😅

Great question! Northwell has hospitals spread out throughout Long Island and the greater NYC area (Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester). Our main teaching hospitals are North Shore (on Long Island), Long Island Jewish (in Queens) and Lennox Hill (In Manhattan). That being said there are at least a half dozen more large hospitals all throughout the island and NYC you can rotate at! Most people do a mix of NYC and Long Island, but you can choose to do most of your rotations at one hospital (pediatrics and psychiatry are at dedicated hospitals).

The med school building is on Long Island so most people choose to live on Long Island near the school for the first two years to have an easier commute. It's totally doable to commune from Manhattan to the school, but it takes time and time is precious in med school. Most people then move between second and third year to be close to the hospitals they're rotating at - Someone rotating primarily in Manhattan will move to Manhattan, someone rotating in Queens will move to Queens, etc.

Personally I live in NYC and love it, I have all the benefits of living in the city and I'm not too far from any of my hospitals. But really you can make nearly anything work if you have a particular area you want to live or do your rotations in!
I imagine there is a lot of competition for clinical sites in NYC particularly Lenox Hill?

Any MD/PhD hear anything post-interview? Seems like they might be just waiting until everything's done instead of doing rolling decisions... I haven't heard anything in a while, whether it be R, A, or WL/hold/defer 😅
Nothing here still, and yeah I agree that we could just be meant to hear back later.

I imagine there is a lot of competition for clinical sites in NYC particularly Lenox Hill?
At a recent accepted students event they said there is a lottery for students to select their clinical sites and then a swapping period where students can trade. They said people usually get their first or second choices and you can work with the school if a site you get placed is too far away for you to travel to.

I spoke to a student there who also said because it's cheaper to live on long island it's more mixed for where people want to rotate, but that was n=1

Do you know if this is different from past years, because it seemed like people in past years heard about waitlists in January. Totally understand if you couldn’t get this info

Nothing here still, and yeah I agree that we could just be meant to hear back later.
Yeah I also haven't heard anything. Thought they said December, so not particularly hopeful. But who knows what's going on.

Last edited:
I interviewed back in October. Safe to say this is a non acceptance?

Lennox Hill is definitely the most competitive hospital, but you can generally do at least half to 2/3rds of you rotations there third year. Keep in mind that a lot of people at the school would rather stay on Long Island or in Queens for rotations, so it's generally only a small cohort of people living in Manhattan that really want all of their rotations at Lennox Hill. My year Lennox Hill was pretty popular and everyone who wanted to rotate there still got at least half their rotations there.

• Love
At a recent accepted students event they said there is a lottery for students to select their clinical sites and then a swapping period where students can trade. They said people usually get their first or second choices and you can work with the school if a site you get placed is too far away for you to travel to.

I spoke to a student there who also said because it's cheaper to live on long island it's more mixed for where people want to rotate, but that was n=1
This is all 100% accurate, thanks for sharing!

A friend of mine interviewed here in early September and was accepted in March. It ain't over until it's over.

Wow that’s amazing. Was he waitlisted then moved to an A or was he straight up accepted?

Wow that’s amazing. Was he waitlisted then moved to an A or was he straight up accepted?
Straight accept. This process is crazy sometimes (ok lets be real, all the time) but sometimes things go better than you'd think.

Interviewing here on 2/26, which I'm assuming is the literal last day of interviews for the entire cycle. Odds that I'm set to file directly into the waitlist?/around when do they release their last batch of decisions?

Sincerely,
Anxiety (bc I would sell my first born to go here :))

Anyone else accepted today that interviewed 12/16?

Has anyone who has completed VITA not gotten a II?

Just curious as I completed my VITA yesterday night and am really hoping to schedule a II soon since I am quite excited about this school :)

Just curious as I completed my VITA yesterday night and am really hoping to schedule a II soon since I am quite excited about this school :)
Quite confident VITA invite = official II (unless someone at Hofstra is working at 10 pm on a Sunday). Just be patient and it should come soon!

Quite confident VITA invite = official II (unless someone at Hofstra is working at 10 pm on a Sunday). Just be patient and it should come soon!
haha good point, this whole cycle has just really got me on the edge of my seat.

thank you for reassurance :)

I interviewed with Hofstra earlier and they clarified that everyone who gets a VITA will get a live II as well. They do not screen VITA before offering IIs

I interviewed with Hofstra earlier and they clarified that everyone who gets a VITA will get a live II as well. They do not screen VITA before offering IIs
thank you for clarifying! Strange that the VITA invite email says otherwise but guess we are all here for the emotional roller coaster lol

thank you for clarifying! Strange that the VITA invite email says otherwise but guess we are all here for the emotional roller coaster lol

They might have written it that way so they can modify their process if they wanted to since they said it doesn't guarantee a live one-on-one interview.

Congratulations! I interviewed 12/16 and didn't hear anything from them yesterday. I feel like they passed over me😢
I feel you. I interviewed on the 11th and there are no reports so I feel like that whole day got skipped or they passed over everyone on that day...

Lennox Hill is definitely the most competitive hospital, but you can generally do at least half to 2/3rds of you rotations there third year. Keep in mind that a lot of people at the school would rather stay on Long Island or in Queens for rotations, so it's generally only a small cohort of people living in Manhattan that really want all of their rotations at Lennox Hill. My year Lennox Hill was pretty popular and everyone who wanted to rotate there still got at least half their rotations there.
Is there any assistance provided by the school to find housing in Manhattan? any subsidized housing options?

Is there any assistance provided by the school to find housing in Manhattan? any subsidized housing options?
Officially? Not that I'm aware of, but I've never looked into it myself. There is currently no ZSOM dorm in Manhattan next to Lennox Hill or anything like that (I wish, it would make surgery rotations way easier).

Unofficially the school runs a roommate matching program for admitted students, so you can find a classmate or two who also wants to live in Manhattan and get a 2 or 3 bedroom and make rent more affordable. Also while the school does cost of attendance calculations assuming you're living in Queens/Long Island, the financial aid office will accommodate any semi-reasonable request and make sure you have enough federal or institutional aid to cover your living situation.

Interviewing here on 2/26, which I'm assuming is the literal last day of interviews for the entire cycle. Odds that I'm set to file directly into the waitlist?/around when do they release their last batch of decisions?

Sincerely,
Anxiety (bc I would sell my first born to go here :))
I'm interviewing on 2/26 as well! I got the invite from back in December and 2/26 was the first available interview date which is nuts.

It's not over until it's over. A friend of mine is an M4 at Hofstra now and she came off the waitlist and interviewed in March when she applied. So no worries! We got this.

Sincerely,
I've been anxious too

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I'm interviewing on 2/26 as well! I got the invite from back in December and 2/26 was the first available interview date which is nuts.

It's not over until it's over. A friend of mine is an M4 at Hofstra now and she came off the waitlist and interviewed in March when she applied. So no worries! We got this.

Sincerely,
I've been anxious too
Keep checking the portal in case something opens up earlier. I was originally scheduled for February way back since my invite a few months ago. Spot opened up for 12/9 so I took it and got accepted earlier this month.

• Care
Is there a GroupMe yet, or something similar, for admitted students?

And good luck to everyone who is still interviewing or waiting to hear back!!