2020-2021 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get in being on the 2nd tier waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Please clarify, are you originally on 1st-tier WL and later moved to AC? can you explain the timeline? and did you complete Survey?
Just fixed my post, so the timeline should now be clear. Lol wouldn't make much sense to be placed on AC after being waitlisted since the waitlist implies active consideration. And yes, I'm completing the survey. For anything that's "strongly encouraged," it's a fair bet to assume that it's necessary/mandatory in order to show continued interest. That's at least how I'm approaching it. Cheers!

I got a 1st tier WL email yesterday, interviewed mid-January. I was also placed on active consideration last month

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty odd they ask about other acceptances in WL survey. I wonder how that plays into applicants' outcomes

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting for email; Did you guys complete the survey and explicitly mention the other colleges?
I responded stating that I preferred to withhold the names of the schools I was admitted, but that I wished to reassure Zucker that they remain my top choice for medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
so does not having any other acceptances boost your chances of getting in off the waitlist then if you notify them?

This may or may not be useful information for those of you on the waitlist, but Hofstra seems to have accepted 266 students so far based on a second look e-mail sent to accepted students. The Med school Post-II Acceptances sheet says that 356 students were accepted last year, so one would think Hofstra would have around 100 acceptances to give, or even more if waitlist movement meets or exceeds previous years as many people predicting for this cycle.

Your last year's stats are correct (356 Post-II acceptances), However, Zucker's final matriculation/class size is about 100, I think 266 is too high for initial Acceptances; the school estimates 19% of students in NE have multiple acceptances (5+) and most of first round picks go elsewhere (true for all NE colleges);. They need to pull off waitlist continuously until they hit class size.

what exactly the acceptance letter indicate about number of acceptances?
I could be wrong, but it is an e-mail that was sent out to accepted students (about a second-look event) that was sent to 266 unique individual addresses. Of the 266 e-mail addresses, only 2 of the them are Hofstra e-mails addresses, and I figure those may be Hofstra undergraduates.

In the WL survey, if we write "financial aid" as one of the factors influencing our decision-making process, do folks think Hofstra will use that against us? For instance, would they be more likely to accept a student off the WL who is not so worried about what fin aid Hofstra will provide them?

For the Waitlist survey, where we're asked to expand on our thoughts regarding factors in our decision-making, are we expected to outline the positives we value at Hofstra (i.e. treat the space as a chance to write a "Why us" type of response), or is it just generally trying to understand what our motives are for choosing a med school? Lol do we even need to fill the space? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Withdrew from the 2nd tier WL today, it ain't much but I hope it helps one of you down the line.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone post a link to where we sign into our Hofstra emails? I have been looking for it and cannot find it.

Could someone post a link to where we sign into our Hofstra emails? I have been looking for it and cannot find it.
You’ll want to log into my.hofstra.edu, and within that portal if you scroll down a bit you’ll see your Hofstra gmail inbox

They sent it to everyone on first and second tier waitlists.

I am just kinda confused why this is the what they want to show for people on the WL lol

• Haha
Admitted student here. Could someone please copy/paste the text of the email? We didn't get it and I'm curious.
It’s just an email for a zoom session on how the school provides “wellness” to students. It was only for people on the WL. Sounds SO helpful :rolleyes:.

“Greetings,

The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell would like to offer you the opportunity to join us, virtually, onMonday, April 19th from 5:00pm-6:00pm EDT. We will be expanding on the many wellness initiatives and opportunities offered at the School of Medicine. We will be joined by a panel of current students who are actively engaged in some of these initiatives.”

• Hmm
It’s just an email for a zoom session on how the school provides “wellness” to students. It was only for people on the WL. Sounds SO helpful :rolleyes:.

“Greetings,

The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell would like to offer you the opportunity to join us, virtually, onMonday, April 19th from 5:00pm-6:00pm EDT. We will be expanding on the many wellness initiatives and opportunities offered at the School of Medicine. We will be joined by a panel of current students who are actively engaged in some of these initiatives.”

I mean, beyond the question of why they are sending this to waitlisted students, why AREN'T they inviting admitted students? There's nothing about "wellness" on the second look schedule for this coming weekend.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone get an institutional scholarship or know what the range is for the amount students can possible get in scholarship money?

Did anyone get an institutional scholarship or know what the range is for the amount students can possible get in scholarship money?
I got an institutional scholarship but I have no idea what the upper limit of the range is, maybe full tuition or COA?

Does anyone know if 2nd tier waitlist is a soft rejection? Need to start mentally preparing to do this all over again 🥲🥲

Does anyone know if 2nd tier waitlist is a soft rejection? Need to start mentally preparing to do this all over again 🥲🥲
From what I've heard (as a fellow 2nd-tier waitlist), yes it is a soft rejection

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
when does Hofstra waitlist movement begin? anyone know for 1st tier what the movement is like?

when does Hofstra waitlist movement begin? anyone know for 1st tier what the movement is like?

No concrete info on your question but at least we know that it is before august based on their timeline :alien:
1618508771976.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Wellness waitlist session had a maximum of 160 people attending with around 5 being Hofstra-affiliated. Nothing special said. It did not make me feel well 🤡

Wellness waitlist session had a maximum of 160 people attending with around 5 being Hofstra-affiliated. Nothing special said. It did not make me feel well 🤡
Adding on: 2 faculty/staff members and 4 current students.

Didnt quite get the point of the event, while nice, it didn’t really make sense to do this with waitlisted applicants :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone!

Is anyone willing to share if they attended the Waitlist Wellness Initiatives session while on the 2nd tier waitlist?

Hey everyone!

Is anyone willing to share if they attended the Waitlist Wellness Initiatives session while on the 2nd tier waitlist?
1st and 2nd tier waitlist were invited.

I honestly think that they waitlist almost everybody. I looked over several pages on this thread, and I did not find any post-ii R.

I don't think so. MSAR says they interviewed 310 people for instate & 527 out-state. I'm sure the waitlist session would have had close to half of those numbers combined, if they waitlisted almost everybody were true.

I honestly think that they waitlist almost everybody. I looked over several pages on this thread, and I did not find any post-ii R.
Confirming that there have been no post-ii R reported in the entire thread.

Confirming that there have been no post-ii R reported in the entire thread.
Yes, I feel like they waitlisted everybody (even if that number is like 600 people) and that’s not exactly surprising. I highly doubt the whole waitlist showed up yesterday. That was like a fraction of the entire waitlist most likely. However many of those initially waitlisted are likely to have at least 1 acceptance elsewhere etc. so people are likely to filter out to other schools at April 30 and then the CTE deadlines for schools that begin early (i.e. withdraw from the waitlist), and it will keep getting smaller. Not exactly the worst situation for those whose first choice is Hofstra (not mine)

Just withdrew my acceptance today. It was pretty hard to let this one go because it was for sure a reach school for me.
Best of luck to all of you future physicians still in the running! Don't give up on this cycle-- may we work together in the future :)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Also just withdrew the A, hope someone here gets it! Good luck to everyone on the WL!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users