You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Howard
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Chels1017
Full Member
Nope but I’m jealous! 😂I just got an email from them saying they received all my stuff and that interviews are sent through email and basically I should be keeping an eye out for it if I receive one. Did anyone else get this?
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Yes the day after I completed everything!I just got an email from them saying they received all my stuff and that interviews are sent through email and basically I should be keeping an eye out for it if I receive one. Did anyone else get this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh wow I completed everything so long ago 😂 I wonder why they just sent thatYes the day after I completed everything!
Don’t be 😂 Could mean nothing lolNope but I’m jealous! 😂
@BadHombre If they are interviewing it does not mean it is full. Be optimistic and good luck.
I got a similar email yesterday after being completed in September.Don’t be 😂 Could mean nothing lol
For people who have interviewed/ be accepted. How soon after your application was reviewed did you get your interview invite?
Los
I wonder if that means they’re just now reviewing our applications?I got a similar email yesterday after being completed in September.
Kingbiochem528
Full Member
Hi! Does anyone know if Howard has began sending rejections?
Howard doesn't send rejections so quickly lol. @melanin_in_medicine it means they have reviewed our application at least once. I don't know how many reviews until someone is eligible for interviews. However I doubt they will be sending out more interviews this month. We probably have to wait till next month since they go on holiday break most likely next week.
Just curious was this the email or different?Los
I wonder if that means they’re just now reviewing our applications?
It’s a “complete“ email. Whenever you got this email is when you became complete and is now under review.
So yours was different?It’s a “complete“ email. Whenever you got this email is when you became complete and is now under review.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So yours was different?
No, it was the same! But I got it maybe 2 minutes after I submitted the secondary.So yours was different?
No it wasn’t that, that’s just acknowledging they received your secondary.
hopefuldoc_123
Full Member
Accepted today, but the email was post dated for last Friday. I interviewed second week of November. Good luck to everyone!
EngineerToDrBae
Full Member
Any lower stat folks ( <502 and/or <3.3 ) receive IIs yet?
curlydoc94
Full Member
Yes, I interviewed today!Any lower stat folks ( <502 and/or <3.3 ) receive IIs yet?
Under a 3.3 undergrad GPA, interviewed and acceptedAny lower stat folks ( <502 and/or <3.3 ) receive IIs yet?
II at 10:52 PM ET! Complete some time in July.
Already have acceptances, so I hope my seat goes to one of you! 😉
Already have acceptances, so I hope my seat goes to one of you! 😉
mind sharing your stats?
II at 10:52 PM ET! Complete some time in July.
Already have acceptances, so I hope my seat goes to one of you! 😉
So I had to scroll through the thread to find if any current students are on here and finally came across yours. Saw you didn't have open DMs, so I'll just post here and for anyone that has any info regarding this..Hey y’all I’m a current first year at Howard and close to finished with the first semester of all zoom medical school. If you’ve got any questions let me know
I'm Asian, not AA. I know my chances of even getting an II here are low, but I was curious what your current class profile looks like for non-AA individuals. I saw the stats on MSAR, but wondering what student's backgrounds are like. I'm disadvantaged, unique personal statement (like everyone else), good EC's, but fall low on stats [MCAT (504) /high GPA (3.8)]. Everyone says stats aren't everything, but they do need to be "good enough" to get your foot in the door. Kinda like how you need to be a high stat applicant to be considered at an OOS public school. What do you think? Thanks for the advice!!
Last edited:
Hey I’m not a current student but I toured the school last fall while things were still open and one of my tour guides was actually Asian as well. Howard is a HBCU so of course the majority of applicants will be black or some other minority but I don’t think that excludes you from being considered, if that is what your question was inquiring. For Howard I think it’s less about being a certain ethnicity and more about whether or not you fit their mission. Also DC is relatively small so I think most of their students are OOS but I did notice that most are from the DMV area/north east. I’m sure stats play a role but from what I’ve seen it’s just a portion what goes into consideration. There are people with lower stats who perfectly fit their mission and get in so I wouldn’t give up hope just yet.So I had to scroll through the thread to find if any current students are on here and finally came across yours. Saw you didn't have open DMs, so I'll just post here and for anyone that has any info regarding this..
I'm Asian, not AA. I know my chances of even getting an II here are low, but I was curious what your current class profile looks like for non-AA individuals. I saw the stats on MSAR, but wondering what student's backgrounds are like. I'm disadvantaged, unique personal statement (like everyone else), good EC's, but fall low on stats [MCAT (504) /high GPA (3.8)]. Everyone says stats aren't everything, but they do need to be "good enough" to get your foot in the door. Kinda like how you need to be a high stat applicant to be considered at an OOS public school. What do you think? Thanks for the advice!!
I'm an Asian applicant who strongly desires to attend Howard for several reasons, and talking to current students reaffirmed my intentions. The biggest reason is how healthcare has implicit and explicit biases toward minority populations. Howard is one of the few schools that actively use their curriculum to drive a change in healthcare, like teaching how certain populations are more susceptible for a certain disease or what warning signs to look forward in certain populations. I want to see healthcare change, and I want to be a part of that change. As Asians, it's less about "would we make a good fit," but moreso, what is our intention of attending Howard. There are some non-Black students that attend; they seem to be very active in the school and DC 🙂So I had to scroll through the thread to find if any current students are on here and finally came across yours. Saw you didn't have open DMs, so I'll just post here and for anyone that has any info regarding this..
I'm Asian, not AA. I know my chances of even getting an II here are low, but I was curious what your current class profile looks like for non-AA individuals. I saw the stats on MSAR, but wondering what student's backgrounds are like. I'm disadvantaged, unique personal statement (like everyone else), good EC's, but fall low on stats [MCAT (504) /high GPA (3.8)]. Everyone says stats aren't everything, but they do need to be "good enough" to get your foot in the door. Kinda like how you need to be a high stat applicant to be considered at an OOS public school. What do you think? Thanks for the advice!!
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Is there anything else we can do (pre-interview) to show Howard how dedicated we are to them and their mission?Hey, I am a current M1 and our class is pretty diverse, we have quite a few people who are not AA. I think you should apply if Howard is where you truly want to attend. If you are a good fit and you are what admin is looking for you will be just fine. Also you don't necessarily have to have high stats. Howard really cares about demonstrated service to underserved and/or communities of color.
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Congrats!!! What were your stats and when were you complete?Accepted just now!! I been waiting on this one!
Interviewed 11/17
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
Congrats! Did you get a call or email?Accepted just now!! I been waiting on this one!
Interviewed 11/17
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Email! And thank you!!Congrats! Did you get a call or email?
Last edited:
Thank you!! Gpa 3.2, MCAT 511, complete 8/3Congrats!!! What were your stats and when were you complete?
Last edited:
limonaid10
New Member
Accepted today!! Interviewed 11/24
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Stats and when you were completed??Accepted today!! Interviewed 11/24
Congrats!!
limonaid10
New Member
Thank you!!!! 506 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, complete on 8/5!Stats and when you were completed??
Congrats!!
Nvrgiveup01
Full Member
Congrats on all the acceptances! Interviewed 11/17 but nothing yet.
Mellyjelly123
Full Member
Wow that’s amazing and a quick turnaround!! Congrats!Accepted today as well! Interviewed 12/2
When were you complete and stats?
Interviewed 11/10 and they had told us we would hear back by today for sure during the interview. Didn’t receive any news today so idk what that means but it can’t be good lol
Thanks!! I wasn't really expecting it this early either tbh. Complete 8/9. 3.67 cGPA, 3.44 sGPA, 517 MCAT. URM.Wow that’s amazing and a quick turnaround!! Congrats!
When were you complete and stats?
Last edited:
I just got this too idk what this means can someone tellDid anyone get this email? What does this mean?
Curious did you receive the email from Howard stating that your app had been reviewed before getting your II? Like those posted above?Interviewed 11/10 and they had told us we would hear back by today for sure during the interview. Didn’t receive any news today so idk what that means but it can’t be good lol
yeah pretty sure they just send that to everyoneCurious did you receive the email from Howard stating that your app had been reviewed before getting your II? Like those posted above?
I just spoke to a student there now and she said she never got it during her processyeah pretty sure they just send that to everyone
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it's interesting, i actually trolled the threads from 2019 and no one talks about it either ... all they ever got was a "Secondary Received" letter. Maybe it's new this year?I just spoke to a student there now and she said she never got it during her process
Probably new to our year. Don't think it means anything other than your app has been looked at. I didn't think anything of it when I received it.I just spoke to a student there now and she said she never got it during her process
elrm257
Full Member
I got this email 5 minutes ago, my app was complete early AugustDid anyone get this email? What does this mean?
Yeah she said it’s prob new this year and they may be trying to increase communication but not to worry about it so the wait continuesit's interesting, i actually trolled the threads from 2019 and no one talks about it either ... all they ever got was a "Secondary Received" letter. Maybe it's new this year?
It's a reminder to check what the prerequisite courses are for Howard, and to make sure that you have finished them, with a "C-" or better, before July 2021. Not all AMCAS schools have a list of required courses, so if you are still finishing college this would be a good time to go to their web page and be sure you have taken everything. If not, register for missing classes Spring 2021.I just got this too idk what this means can someone tell
Just sending your transcripts with your application and having them received at a school does not mean they have checked them over to see whether you fulfill their specific prerequisites. The admissions office is likely to perform this step after they have offered admission to someone. You don't want an unpleasant surprise later, being told that you don't qualify for matriculation!
