2020-2021 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! So excited about this school! Interviewed 10/14

Reactions: 1 user
how long is the interview day including orientation and meeting students.?

how long is the interview day including orientation and meeting students.?

Two 30 minute interviews back to back with about 15 min spent checking in and meeting the other people in interview group. They send the login to a website that has all the orientation videos you can watch on your own time. The student panel zoom is optional and on the Friday following interview.

Two 30 minute interviews back to back with about 15 min spent checking in and meeting the other people in interview group. They send the login to a website that has all the orientation videos you can watch on your own time. The student panel zoom is optional and on the Friday following interview.

do you know what time is the optional student panel on the Friday and how long it last? just gotta make sure my employer knows in advance

Are we able to attend an alternate student panel? I just saw that the zoom links are provided for the other days as well. This student panel and my other one overlap and I'd really like to attend both as long as I can!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we able to attend an alternate student panel? I just saw that the zoom links are provided for the other days as well. This student panel and my other one overlap and I'd really like to attend both as long as I can!

I don’t see why not

I only remember the name of one of my interviewers from this past Thursday. Will send an email today. I did email Blair requesting the other two names yesterday morning, but haven’t gotten a response yet.

My husband thinks I should send a card to my interviewers with some homemade biscotti on account of me being a pastry chef. I think an email would suffice lol.
Did you just send the letters to Blair or did you ask for the interviewers' emails? Also for Blair, you just emailed [email protected], right? Sorry for the questions! I just don't want to unnecessarily hassel her lol.

Did you just send the letters to Blair or did you ask for the interviewers' emails? Also for Blair, you just emailed [email protected], right? Sorry for the questions! I just don't want to unnecessarily hassel her lol.

I sent Blair an email requesting the names of my interviewers. After writing the letters and converting them to PDF, I emailed them as attachments to Blair requesting they be forwarded to my interviewers. [email protected] is correct!

I sent Blair an email requesting the names of my interviewers. After writing the letters and converting them to PDF, I emailed them as attachments to Blair requesting they be forwarded to my interviewers. [email protected] is correct!
Thank you so much! This was super helpful!

Interviewed 11/20, so most likely will be waiting until post-holidays for any decisions...
...but for those who haven't interviewed yet/are waiting on your II, I felt the most seen in this interview. I was honest about my journey (seeing as I matriculated before), and just spoke to how I had gotten to the other side of the screen. Everyone said the interviews are just "getting to know you". Then after the day was done, I realized no one person had asked me about my stats. By far the most honest interview I will have all season.

Reactions: 1 users
For interviews, do we need to download the zoom app on our macbooks or do we just get an invitation link?

For interviews, do we need to download the zoom app on our macbooks or do we just get an invitation link?

They will send you a short link that will open up the meeting directly - whether or not it works in an internet browser or just in the app I’m not sure, since I had the app already and it opened there. They will also send a meeting code and password so you can access the meeting through the zoom website (I think) but I would download the app anyway to be safe.

There is also a “technology check” ahead of time to troubleshoot any potential technical difficulties due to unfamiliarity with the service and issues with audio/visual. It’s not required but highly recommended.

FWIW, in using this for my classes and other meetings, I have found that it works better through the app. It has been way more stable (less glitches and freezing). Once you click the link in the email, it will open automatically in the app, so there's nothing you have to do to get from the email to it. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
Interviewed 11/20, so most likely will be waiting until post-holidays for any decisions...
...but for those who haven't interviewed yet/are waiting on your II, I felt the most seen in this interview. I was honest about my journey (seeing as I matriculated before), and just spoke to how I had gotten to the other side of the screen. Everyone said the interviews are just "getting to know you". Then after the day was done, I realized no one person had asked me about my stats. By far the most honest interview I will have all season.
Yes. I had the similar feeling after the interview!

FWIW, in using this for my classes and other meetings, I have found that it works better through the app. It has been way more stable (less glitches and freezing). Once you click the link in the email, it will open automatically in the app, so there's nothing you have to do to get from the email to it. Best of luck!!
They will send you a short link that will open up the meeting directly - whether or not it works in an internet browser or just in the app I’m not sure, since I had the app already and it opened there. They will also send a meeting code and password so you can access the meeting through the zoom website (I think) but I would download the app anyway to be safe.

There is also a “technology check” ahead of time to troubleshoot any potential technical difficulties due to unfamiliarity with the service and issues with audio/visual. It’s not required but highly recommended.
thank you guys very much, you are incredibly helpful.

• Care
For all those who are matriculating to KUMC, I highly recommend you watch all the SketchyMicro and Sketchypharm antimicrobials videos before school starts. Having to do them all now in IBI is nuts. Wished I had done them all before this block.

Reactions: 2 users
For all those who are matriculating to KUMC, I highly recommend you watch all the SketchyMicro and Sketchypharm antimicrobials videos before school starts. Having to do them all now in IBI is nuts. Wished I had done them all before this block.

Would you recommend doing anatomy too? I didn’t take any A&P in undergrad.

We haven't really done any anatomy yet (except for one day w/ upper back muscles, spine, ligaments, nerves), as our major anatomy block is in January, I think. The anatomy professor did "strongly encourage" that we all get "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore. I'm also terrible w/ anatomy so will likely be reading up on that book over winter break.

Would you recommend doing anatomy too? I didn’t take any A&P in undergrad.
Hello, M2 here: I highly recommend learning some anatomy. I felt really bad for some of my classmates during M&M (muscles and movement), which is a M2 year class, who had 0 anatomy background. Even with a good background, it was significantly difficult mostly due to having to layer clinical reasoning on top of knowing where everything is and what it does lol.

R&C isn't super anatomy heavy except maybe heart pieces. R&C is very physiology heavy so hang in there Ndt! :) I do like Clinically Oriented Anatomy though, I have a copy. The clinical box sections are excellent and the M&M anatomist I feel like teaches directly from that book.

Re: IBI, if you don't have a good micro background, getting a head start on that is a good idea for sure. I had a solid micro background too, so IBI wasn't horrid for me. I think the drugs are the hardest part of that block and honestly, sketchy pharm +anki to force them into your brain. You will need them again and again, may as well smash them in there. (IBI has the reputation of being the hardest M1 block, its all down hill after Christmas)

Reactions: 4 users
I personally would NOT study before school starts... Sure, IBI isn't easy but it's not impossible either. If you are really itching to do something, I would suggest doing research to find an optimal study method (read on SDN or reddit) so that you have a loose framework on how you want to approach things. Learn how to use Anki and do it everyday when you start. Lots of my classmates wished they had learned how to use it before school because now they are struggling trying to learn school info and how to use anki. Just my .2 cents.

Last edited:
The only thing I did before school started was what they asked us to do (immuno review - they send out specific stuff on this). I was more saying if you have 0 background in micro or anatomy and want to do something a basic foundation there will help you a lot - so maybe take a micro or anatomy class next semester.

Definitely second figuring out how to use various things like Anki, it took me probably a solid month into the first real block to understand what I was doing with it. Luckily, the M2s ahead of us held a session on how to Anki and kind of saved my butt around the same time. XD

I personally would NOT study before school starts... Sure, IBI isn't easy but it's not impossible either. If you are really itching to do something, I would suggest doing research to find an optimal study method (read on SDN or reddit) so that you have a loose framework on how you want to approach things. Learn how to use Anki and do it everyday when you start. Lots of my classmates wished they had learned how to use it before school because now they are struggling trying to learn school info and how to use anki. Just my .2 cents.
Thanks for your insight! I know that I should use this time to enjoy my husband and son (and probably get in shape lol) but I feel like my undergrad courseload was a tad light and want to make sure I'm on an equal playing field as my classmates. Not only do I have zero anatomy or micro, but I took a very light courseleoad my last year of undergrad due to having a baby, and then took a gap year. So I'm slightly concerned about keeping up with the material.

I will definitely learn anki though... didn't use it for MCAT and probably should have.

Side note: can anyone tell me when to expect some info about financial aid? I've filed the FAFSA already but haven't gotten anything from KU since the acceptance email.

Thanks for your insight! I know that I should use this time to enjoy my husband and son (and probably get in shape lol) but I feel like my undergrad courseload was a tad light and want to make sure I'm on an equal playing field as my classmates. Not only do I have zero anatomy or micro, but I took a very light courseleoad my last year of undergrad due to having a baby, and then took a gap year. So I'm slightly concerned about keeping up with the material.

I will definitely learn anki though... didn't use it for MCAT and probably should have.

Side note: can anyone tell me when to expect some info about financial aid? I've filed the FAFSA already but haven't gotten anything from KU since the acceptance email.
I understand that feeling. I thought that my undergrad was “easier” than most, but it turns out it was basically the same. Med school moves so fast that everyone is on an even playing-field after only a couple weeks or so. After that, nobody has really learned that material before. Just try to enjoy the time with your family as much as you can before you start! You’ll still have time, just a lot less.

Financial aid, I didn't get any info until sometime in... April? May? Hard to recall. However I also did not get accepted until the March batch, so I am not sure if folks who get in right away get info before then. The financial aid office's page might have info on what to expect award-wise. I'm always a little out of the loop on this so maybe someone else can provide more info (I am a KMSL student, so if anyone has questions on that I can help there).

You'll be fine regardless of what you took or didn't take - you were smart enough to get in which means you're capable of learning the stuff anyway- don't forget that. :) (also much <3 for fellow non-trads - I am an old person at 31. lol)

Cadavers are not prosected, we do our own dissections.

Reactions: 3 users
Any OOS people receive II’s yet? I know some went out in early December last year. Just curious.

When do you all think the next batch of post-interview emails will be sent out?

Does anyone know what signing the admissions offer document does? Is this a binding agreement to attend KU SOM or is this just acknowledgment of the acceptance? I'm a little confused because I thought we had until April to narrow down acceptances. Thank you!

Does anyone know what signing the admissions offer document does? Is this a binding agreement to attend KU SOM or is this just acknowledgment of the acceptance? I'm a little confused because I thought we had until April to narrow down acceptances. Thank you!
it is just an acknowledgement. I think you have 2 weeks to decide whether or not you want to accept the offer. If you don't, then I think you will get it revoked. You can confirm unlimited acceptances until April 15th (I think this is the date) then you will have to narrow it down to 3. At the end of April, you will need to commit to one school.

it is just an acknowledgement. I think you have 2 weeks to decide whether or not you want to accept the offer. If you don't, then I think you will get it revoked. You can confirm unlimited acceptances until April 15th (I think this is the date) then you will have to narrow it down to 3. At the end of April, you will need to commit to one school.
thank you so so so much!

Interviewed 11/20, wait until march just now :/