2020-2021 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post-interview invitation do yall think a lower MCAT score can make or break you? (Low as in 503-505) Just trying to gauge if I still got a shot, interviewed in December have strong EC's, URM, and high GPA.
If you interviewed you have a shot

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone speak to the pros and cons of the Augusta vs Athens campus?
Main difference is the curriculum. Athens is more small group/discussion-based learning. Much smaller campus/class size can offer a more personal experience. Athens will be sticking with the 2-year pre-clinical curriculum and take step 1 after M2. Augusta is moving toward 50% lecture, 50% small groups with the 1.5-year preclinical curriculum which gives more time for research, electives, and away rotations in M4. You'll also take step 1 after M3, which isn't a huge benefit anymore after it becomes P/F. Augusta has more student orgs, studnet clinics, and a bigger hospital system (public, private, VA, and children's hospital). Athens is definitely a more fun town and closer to Atlanta, but there is still plenty to do in Augusta.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Post-interview invitation do yall think a lower MCAT score can make or break you? (Low as in 503-505) Just trying to gauge if I still got a shot, interviewed in December have strong EC's, URM, and high GPA.
I’m in the same boat as you. Like exact same. Lemme know when/if you hear from them! I’ve known people who are in the 503- 507 range and have gotten accepted, so we definitely have a chance!

Members don't see this ad :)
So Tomorrow will be the day! ( trying to manifest :) but hopefully is for all, spoke to admissions earlier this month and they said decisions would be released this month at some point)

Accepted this morning! Interviewed in December!!! First acceptance and last one, Can't wait to embark on this journey at MCG!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!! Interviewed in december. I sent a letter of intent so I will be attending!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted this morning just before 9 am via email and got a call around 10 as well! OOS w/ ties

Last edited:
do we think they will send out acceptances on the first couple Fridays of February like they did last year?

Main difference is the curriculum. Athens is more small group/discussion-based learning. Much smaller campus/class size can offer a more personal experience. Athens will be sticking with the 2-year pre-clinical curriculum and take step 1 after M2. Augusta is moving toward 50% lecture, 50% small groups with the 1.5-year preclinical curriculum which gives more time for research, electives, and away rotations in M4. You'll also take step 1 after M3, which isn't a huge benefit anymore after it becomes P/F. Augusta has more student orgs, studnet clinics, and a bigger hospital system (public, private, VA, and children's hospital). Athens is definitely a more fun town and closer to Atlanta, but there is still plenty to do in Augusta.
Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Could any current students share a bit about their experiences at MCG during the pandemic? How were classes, labs, meeting people, clubs and organizations affected? Thanks!

Hi! Could any current students share a bit about their experiences at MCG during the pandemic? How were classes, labs, meeting people, clubs and organizations affected? Thanks!
Lectures are live-streamed and uploaded, so you can choose to attend in person (masked and spaced out), watch live online, or watch online later (and can speed up). Small group activities have been in person, but instead of having different groups for activities like normal, you are with the same group for everything this year to limit exposures. In-person activities would include things you can't do online like anatomy lab, physical diagnosis (learning physical exams), and ultrasound. Everything in person is spaced out with a limited number of people per room and of course, everyone has to wear a mask in the buildings and gloves when doing physical exams/ultrasounds.

If you have an exposure or symptoms, it is very easy to fill out a report form and join online via Microsoft teams with no penalty (and I really mean no penalty!!). Exceptions were also made for students with high-risk conditions. Testing for students and staff is offered on campus for free (through insurance?), and we usually get results back the same day. We also got the vaccine at the beginning of January, so >90% of the students have had both doses of the vaccine already!

Clubs and organizations have been able to hold meetings online and student-run clinics have been operating via telemedicine. The sense of community is definitely not the same as last year, but everyone is doing their best to keep online events going! I know it has been more difficult for M1s to meet people and make friends this year outside their small group.

If there is anything I missed or you have more questions, I would be happy to answer!

Reactions: 3 users
Any January interview acceptances?
I was wondering the same thing. I know they said they were behind at my January interview so wondering if they've even gotten to us yet since everyone who has said they've been accepted has been from Dec or before.

lol got accepted and didn't even get the email. Just checked my application website and saw it

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I also got accepted this morning, I was an ED applicant that got deferred to RD.
This is such a blessing!!!
Is there a facebook group for the incoming class?

After getting 4 WL and 1 post-II R, i was feeling hopeless this cycle but i finally got my first MD acceptance this morning!! :)

Reactions: 4 users
If you don’t mind, what are everyone’s stats who got accepted this round?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, sorry I’m late to post this but I also was accepted this Friday! I interviewed early December and I am an in state applicant. Congrats to everyone else and I’m wishing the rest of you the best of luck!!

Where do students on the Athens campus typically live?

Hey guys, after reading the Acceptance packet my understanding is that there is no deposit required to reserve a seat in this incoming class. Could someone confirm this or please correct me if I am wrong.

Hey guys, after reading the Acceptance packet my understanding is that there is no deposit required to reserve a seat in this incoming class. Could someone confirm this or please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you pay the deposit once you commit to enroll? Not 100% though

Has anyone submitted fafsa for this school? Do we just send it to Augusta University?

Hello All.. New to SDN. I 'm not sure where to post this, please apologize if this is not right place.

If we take MCAT more than once, how does MCG consider it ? Average? or Latest ? or Best of the scores?
Is there any place that I can check this every medical school how they consider multiple MCAT scores.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone submitted fafsa for this school? Do we just send it to Augusta University?

Yes, they told me to submit it using the Augusta University code whether you prefer the Athens or Augusta campus.

I know the general wisdom in regard to MCG is that they don't want you to send updates, but can you send a LOI if you get waitlisted?

I know the general wisdom in regard to MCG is that they don't want you to send updates, but can you send a LOI if you get waitlisted?
For what it’s worth, I updated them with fall grades and was accepted in the last wave!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello All.. New to SDN. I 'm not sure where to post this, please apologize if this is not right place.

If we take MCAT more than once, how does MCG consider it ? Average? or Latest ? or Best of the scores?
Is there any place that I can check this every medical school how they consider multiple MCAT scores.

Thanks in advance.
im pretty sure MCG considers the best of scores, but it's better to have your latest attempt as the higher score. its not common for schools to average multiple attempts. the only school that i know of is sidney kimmel, so i wouldn't worry too much about the average of multiple attempts

I know it says the deadline for updates was December 1st but I'm really tempted to just send them anyway...

Lectures are live-streamed and uploaded, so you can choose to attend in person (masked and spaced out), watch live online, or watch online later (and can speed up). Small group activities have been in person, but instead of having different groups for activities like normal, you are with the same group for everything this year to limit exposures. In-person activities would include things you can't do online like anatomy lab, physical diagnosis (learning physical exams), and ultrasound. Everything in person is spaced out with a limited number of people per room and of course, everyone has to wear a mask in the buildings and gloves when doing physical exams/ultrasounds.

If you have an exposure or symptoms, it is very easy to fill out a report form and join online via Microsoft teams with no penalty (and I really mean no penalty!!). Exceptions were also made for students with high-risk conditions. Testing for students and staff is offered on campus for free (through insurance?), and we usually get results back the same day. We also got the vaccine at the beginning of January, so >90% of the students have had both doses of the vaccine already!

Clubs and organizations have been able to hold meetings online and student-run clinics have been operating via telemedicine. The sense of community is definitely not the same as last year, but everyone is doing their best to keep online events going! I know it has been more difficult for M1s to meet people and make friends this year outside their small group.

If there is anything I missed or you have more questions, I would be happy to answer!
Thank you so much for sharing! I greatly appreciate it :)

This might sound like a dumb question, but if we are accepted, when do we do fafsa? Thanks in advance!

How likely is it that last week was the final acceptance wave and this upcoming Friday will be the waitlist/rejection notifications?

How likely is it that last week was the final acceptance wave and this upcoming Friday will be the waitlist/rejection notifications?
Not likely in my opinion. They stopped interviewing in Jan so they should be releasing more A from Dec/Jan interviews These next 2 weeks.

Not likely in my opinion. They stopped interviewing in Jan so they should be releasing more A from Dec/Jan interviews These

I know it says the deadline for updates was December 1st but I'm really tempted to just send them anyway...
Awe man, I was ignorant of this and provided an update a couple weeks ago. Do you all think this will be looked down upon? Or will it just have no impact?

• Hmm