2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I was recently accepted to MCW and I'm super thankful and happy! I'm OOS and I've never been to Wisconsin and don't know anyone there. Could a current student or someone who lives in the area tell me a bit about the school, the surrounding area, and what its like living there? With no opportunity to visit I just feel super out of the loop.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just got an interview invite! It's my first one so super excited. I was complete 7/25, LM 69, and in-state (idk if that matters here)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I just got an interview invite! It's my first one so super excited. I was complete 7/25, LM 69, and in-state (idk if that matters here)
at Milwaukee?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was recently accepted to MCW and I'm super thankful and happy! I'm OOS and I've never been to Wisconsin and don't know anyone there. Could a current student or someone who lives in the area tell me a bit about the school, the surrounding area, and what its like living there? With no opportunity to visit I just feel super out of the loop.
I actually live about a mile from the school. The area the school is in is mostly residential. Downtown Wauwatosa is only a short drive, or even walking distance. I think a lot of students live in that area and it has some cute restaurants and shops. There’s also a decent mall within a 5 min drive from the school. Downtown Milwaukee is about a 10-15 min drive and has a lot of things to do. I’ve been living in Milwaukee for 16 years now and have lived all over and I really love the city. I guess I’m not sure exactly what you are looking to know, but if you have any questions, feel free to message me. I am only applying this semester, but I know a lot of people that have worked at Froedtert and my boyfriend was a postdoc at the medical college so I do know a few things about the hospital and school as well.

Feel free to PM me any specific questions!

Can anyone who has interviewed here provide some insight into the interview day? (Without violating the NDA of course)

MCW just sent out an email about their extended secondary application and test results.
I'm not sure if it means they need a bigger student pool or they're just being nice.

How far are they in the interview cycle?

MCW just sent out an email about their extended secondary application and test results.
I'm not sure if it means they need a bigger student pool or they're just being nice.

How far are they in the interview cycle?
I didn't get this. What did it say, exactly?

It’s on the first page of the secondary portal
"
Update as of 10/22/2020: We have adjusted our timeline for the 2021 application cycle with completed secondary applications now due by Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 4:00pm CST. We will accept scores from MCAT test dates through January 2021, and will accept scores from CASPer test dates through February 2021.

--"

Can anyone who has interviewed here provide some insight into the interview day? (Without violating the NDA of course)
It was awesome! My interviewers were relaxed and friendly. They seemed to genuinely want to know about me as a person, compared to other schools' interviewers. At some schools they seem to have a pre-defined list of questions they must ask and they just march through them with no facial expressions or discussion at all. MCW also used most of the interview today to talk a lot about the school and the local area; the interview was a small percentage of total time. All in all a great day and very low stress compared to some of my other interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get this. What did it say, exactly?

Maybe it's only sent out to people who didn't complete their secondary?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning XXXX

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

We’re emailing today with an important update. We have adjusted our timeline for the 2021 application cycle with completed secondary applications now due on Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 4:00pm CST. No deadline extensions will be granted beyond that date.

As you know, a fully completed application includes several components including a valid MCAT and CASPer score. Those items will still be required for application completion; however, we will now accept MCAT scores from all recently-announced January 2021 test dates. Please click here for more information about MCAT registration and safety protocols. We will also accept CASPer test scores from the Jan. 12, 2021 and Feb. 18, 2021 test dates. Please click here to register for a CASPer test date.

We realize that external factors may have significantly impacted your application preparation this cycle. Our hope is that by accepting these additional MCAT and CASPer test dates and extending our deadline, you have additional time to consider if applying late this cycle is advantageous for your unique situation. Though we will conduct virtual interviews through March, we will continue to consider completion date as one factor in our admissions process (i.e. “rolling admissions”). We urge you to consider both the benefits and risks of submitting your application late in the cycle knowing that significantly fewer interview spaces remain.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to our office at [email protected]!

Sincerely,

Maybe it's only sent out to people who didn't complete their secondary?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning XXXX

Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School!

We’re emailing today with an important update. We have adjusted our timeline for the 2021 application cycle with completed secondary applications now due on Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 4:00pm CST. No deadline extensions will be granted beyond that date.

As you know, a fully completed application includes several components including a valid MCAT and CASPer score. Those items will still be required for application completion; however, we will now accept MCAT scores from all recently-announced January 2021 test dates. Please click here for more information about MCAT registration and safety protocols. We will also accept CASPer test scores from the Jan. 12, 2021 and Feb. 18, 2021 test dates. Please click here to register for a CASPer test date.

We realize that external factors may have significantly impacted your application preparation this cycle. Our hope is that by accepting these additional MCAT and CASPer test dates and extending our deadline, you have additional time to consider if applying late this cycle is advantageous for your unique situation. Though we will conduct virtual interviews through March, we will continue to consider completion date as one factor in our admissions process (i.e. “rolling admissions”). We urge you to consider both the benefits and risks of submitting your application late in the cycle knowing that significantly fewer interview spaces remain.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to our office at [email protected]!

Sincerely,

Correct. Otherwise, it's in everyone's secondary.

didnt get the email. complete since 8/9 & complete silence

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those who were accepted. Anyone know when the admissions committee sends out interview invitations. Complete early and still waiting. Thanks!

Reactions: 6 users
Just found out my secondary is incomplete without my casper result and I am yet to take that test *sad*
Congratulations to all those accepted

Received an II an hour ago. OOS and no ties. Complete 7/18. High LM

Considering how MCW's most recent email encouraged applicants to vote, do you think it would be okay to include something like this in my update letter:

"I have been volunteering with Planned Parenthood Votes. I do phone banking to reach out to voters in swing states."

Wisconsin has until recently been a blue state so idk if this is a risky move to talk about my volunteering with PP votes.

Absolutely not. It would be extremely naive to do so. There are three topics that you never discuss during an interview - abortion, politics and religion. You never know how the individual interviewing you feels about these topics regardless of the official stand of the institution (which you really do not know about, anyway) and he/she is the one who is going to be making the recommendation. The fact that your application already shows that you are volunteering at Planned Parenthood is problematic, to be perfectly honest. Just do not bring it up unless you get asked about it and try to be very neutral if you are prompted to discuss it. This has been my personal experience, btw.

• Dislike
Reactions: 13 users
Absolutely not. It would be extremely naive to do so. There are three topics that you never discuss during an interview - abortion, politics and religion. You never know how the individual interviewing you feels about these topics regardless of the official stand of the institution (which you really do not know about, anyway) and he/she is the one who is going to be making the recommendation. The fact that your application already shows that you are volunteering at Planned Parenthood is problematic, to be perfectly honest. Just do not bring it up unless you get asked about it and try to be very neutral if you are prompted to discuss it. This has been my personal experience, btw.
Well, politics and religion are not necessarily relevant to medical education and services. PP offers a wide variety of medical services, including abortions, but also STD treatment, normal OB/GYN services, and even vasectomies (always a great alternative to abortion!). Abortion is a MEDICAL service that is offered in the US, most medical schools will teach it, many doctors will offer it, so I don't think it could be compared to off-topic subjects that are partisan but not in the field of medicine, per se. Having said that, you could always get the wrong reader, so a little caution in any application can be good!

Reactions: 19 users
Well, politics and religion are not necessarily relevant to medical education and services. PP offers a wide variety of medical services, including abortions, but also STD treatment, normal OB/GYN services, and even vasectomies (always a great alternative to abortion!). Abortion is a MEDICAL service that is offered in the US, most medical schools will teach it, many doctors will offer it, so I don't think it could be compared to off-topic subjects that are partisan but not in the field of medicine, per se. Having said that, you could always get the wrong reader, so a little caution in any application can be good!
Abortion is a HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL medical procedure, and is not universally considered ethical. You can view it however you want, doesn't mean that others are going to agree with you. I wouldn't advise addressing it in the same way one might address a non-controversial procedure.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the honest feedback. I only started volunteering with Planned Parenthood recently so it's neither on my primary nor secondary application. I kept my update letter very vague. I kinda just forget sometimes how hated PP is for providing women the care they need. In that same vein, wouldn't people find it controversial if I said "I want to become an OBGYN" because that insinuates that I'll one day be providing abortions lol

Reactions: 5 users
is MCW sending rolling Rs right now?

Thanks for the honest feedback. I only started volunteering with Planned Parenthood recently so it's neither on my primary nor secondary application. I kept my update letter very vague. I kinda just forget sometimes how hated PP is for providing women the care they need. In that same vein, wouldn't people find it controversial if I said "I want to become an OBGYN" because that insinuates that I'll one day be providing abortions lol
Some of the main controversies with PP (other than just performing abortions) are 1) that they don't separate funding, 2) that they receive government funding, and 3) that there have been accusations of widespread illegal abortions (those performed past a certain gestation, performed for sex selection, etc) and misuse/abuse of fetal tissue/parts.
There are plenty of OB/GYNs out there who do not perform abortions, and there are a lot of pregnancy/women's centers/clinics/etc. that do not offer them. Don't assume people will know your stance on this because you want to specialize in OB/GYN.

What is an IA? I have an interview coming up at MCW and am not sure what a "Dean's Letter" is. Do I need to submit one?
It stands for institutional action. It means that you had some disciplinary action taken against you/investigated. You only would have gotten one for something like cheating, hazing, getting caught with alcohol on campus, etc. If you don't have an IA, then you don't need a dean's letter, which is just a letter from the dean that explains the circumstances that led to the IA.

It stands for institutional action. It means that you had some disciplinary action taken against you/investigated. You only would have gotten one for something like cheating, hazing, getting caught with alcohol on campus, etc. If you don't have an IA, then you don't need a dean's letter, which is just a letter from the dean that explains the circumstances that led to the IA.

Ahh, thank you! I was confusing "IA" to mean "Interview Attended".

For those that already interviewed here, who were your interviewers for one-on-one? both faculty or students or mix?

Is MCW still sending out II's ?
Yep! I just got one last week. Their website says they will keep sending them out till March (or at least keep interviewing them till March).

My interview invite was only a week before the next available date, so I would imagine that they will keep sending them until early/mid March. They will accept an MCAT as late as January 25th, so I'm certain they will keep sending them till at least then.

Yep! I just got one last week. Their website says they will keep sending them out till March (or at least keep interviewing them till March).

My interview invite was only a week before the next available date, so I would imagine that they will keep sending them until early/mid March. They will accept an MCAT as late as January 25th, so I'm certain they will keep sending them till at least then.
Which campus?

Too late to submit secondary? Received it late September but two full-time jobs have really limited the time I could dedicate to writing. Will submit regardless as it’s definitely one of my top choices- just would like to know how negatively I will be affected by this timeline. Heard mixed opinions given COVID & whatnot, especially since schools are each at a unique place in their review process.

Too late to submit secondary? Received it late September but two full-time jobs have really limited the time I could dedicate to writing. Will submit regardless as it’s definitely one of my top choices- just would like to know how negatively I will be affected by this timeline. Heard mixed opinions given COVID & whatnot, especially since schools are each at a unique place in their review process.
go for it buddy. I was complete first day of October so don't worry.

Definitely NOT too late. They're accepting applications till January ends because of COVID!

R this morning as well. OOS but ties to the area

• Sad
  • Care