2020-2021 Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there a difference between the waitlist and the alternative list?
They're the same - just asked Amira LOL. Also, she said there wasn't a tiered system so double LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Btw is anyone subscribed to MSAR and if so, would could you please post the WL info for Mercer from last year's app cycle? I'm too poor to purchase a subscription just for this :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Btw is anyone subscribed to MSAR and if so, would could you please post the WL info for Mercer from last year's app cycle? I'm too poor to purchase a subscription just for this :p
Here ya go! I just copied and pasted what I saw under "Waitlist Information."

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Approximately 150
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
Applicants chosen by the Admissions Committee to be on the Wait List will be notified by e-mail by March 19, 2021.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Here ya go! I just copied and pasted what I saw under "Waitlist Information."

Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
Approximately 150
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
Waitlist procedures and information
Applicants chosen by the Admissions Committee to be on the Wait List will be notified by e-mail by March 19, 2021.
Wait, so the typical number of waitlist positions is 150, but for this year they said in the email that there’s around 230! :oops:

• Wow
Wait, so the typical number of waitlist positions is 150, but for this year they said in the email that there’s around 230! :oops:
Yeah lol that was very confusing to me because according to their catalog, they only give out ~350 interviews per cycle, so if 230 of us are WL and 150 were already accepted then that means everyone was put on the WL 🤔🤔 as 150+230=380

catalog (pg 29): click here

82EEC451-5AE2-47C0-8BBD-CB167307687B.jpeg

Yeah lol that was very confusing to me because according to their catalog, they only give out ~350 interviews per cycle, so if 230 of us are WL and 150 were already accepted then that means everyone was put on the WL 🤔🤔 as 150+230=380

View attachment 332389
One thing I noticed on MSAR is that the class size still says 120 instead of 150. So there could be a chance that the waitlist information hasn't been updated.

View attachment 332389
I’m just hoping the 230 was a typo and they meant 130 or something. Because 230 WL is extreme.

I’m just hoping the 230 was a typo and they meant 130 or something. Because 230 WL is extreme.
I agree. If 230 is the real number of people on the waitlist, maybe they didn’t reject anyone that they interviewed. 🤔

I agree. If 230 is the real number of people on the waitlist, maybe they didn’t reject anyone that they interviewed. 🤔
Yea I don't understand that. Even if Mercer's entire class all withdrew their acceptances (highly improbable) the school would still have 80 applicants on the waitlist.

Yea I don't understand that. Even if Mercer's entire class all withdrew their acceptances (highly improbable) the school would still have 80 applicants on the waitlist.
That’s a great point. That really doesn’t make sense then.

I'm also confused by the waitlist email! 230 is a lot..and I looked at last year's thread and they waitlisted EXACTLY 230, and some people posted their rejections last year when the waitlist emails first came out in that thread.

I'm also confused by the waitlist email! 230 is a lot..and I looked at last year's thread and they waitlisted EXACTLY 230, and some people posted their rejections last year when the waitlist emails first came out in that thread.
Well that’s interesting. It would have made even less sense last year because there were fewer slots. Weird. 🤔

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
a lot of schools do work like that tho im pretty sure emory doesn't reject post-ii its just essentially wl for everyone

Also, out of curiosity, when you were put on the WL the first time around and second, were you told which WL you were put on? I know Mercer does a priority WL and an alternative WL. I thought I remembered Mercer saying that you ARE told which one you're put on, but I may be incorrect. If anyone knows this too, that would be great!
The email I received both times read, "However, the Admissions Committee would like to continue to consider your application this cycle before making a final decision, and therefore invites you to remain on the Wait List (aka. Alternate List) of applicants for this cycle."

If there are two different lists, that's either a new thing they're doing or something I was unaware of at the time. My understanding was always that there was a single waitlist.

I interviewed in late January but have not heard I've been waitlisted or accepted. Should I consider this a soft R?

I interviewed in late January but have not heard I've been waitlisted or accepted. Should I consider this a soft R?
The secondary portal says if you have not heard anything by 3/22 then they won’t be able to offer you a seat so I wouldn’t worry yet

Just withdrew from my spot on the Alternate List –sending my best wishes to you guys! Although these are stressful times, remember to breathe and reflect on all that's gotten to you to this point. It's gonna be just fine and we are all going to be great physicians in the end! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Will I still be considered on the wait list if I pay the commitment fee at a DO school?

Yeah I found that weird too. I just looked on MSAR and it says they interviewed 400 people last year and its probably more than that this year. I think the numbers they are putting out (230 on WL and 350 interviews) are not very accurate lol but all I have to base that on is MSAR and my gut feeling.
The same thing happened with last year's waitlist, 230 as well.

The email I received both times read, "However, the Admissions Committee would like to continue to consider your application this cycle before making a final decision, and therefore invites you to remain on the Wait List (aka. Alternate List) of applicants for this cycle."

If there are two different lists, that's either a new thing they're doing or something I was unaware of at the time. My understanding was always that there was a single waitlist.
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if the "230 individuals" on the walitlist also includes those who were accepted (150 individuals). THUS, 80 spots are actually "open" for WL. According to that 2019-2020 catalog, only 350 are interviewed per year IN TOTAL, so it wouldn't make sense if 230 of us were WL'd post 150 of us accepted (total = 380) What do y'all think!?

There are no more meetings after every third Wednesday, is that correct? So adcom is not meeting in March due to them already deciding on the waitlist a couple of weeks back? And they pull people out from whenever?

There are no more meetings after every third Wednesday, is that correct? So adcom is not meeting in March due to them already deciding on the waitlist a couple of weeks back? And they pull people out from whenever?
I believe so!

Does anyone know when accepted students are required to let Mercer know if they will be enrolled or not?
Also, I've attached a link that I've seen from other forums about data from this years cycle. Not sure how accurate the information is but if you scroll down to part 1 and search Mercer, you can find some additional information.

Does anyone know when accepted students are required to let Mercer know if they will be enrolled or not?
Also, I've attached a link that I've seen from other forums about data from this years cycle. Not sure how accurate the information is but if you scroll down to part 1 and search Mercer, you can find some additional information.
Per AAMC website - commit to enroll begins April 30. "By selecting "Commit to Enroll," I am indicating that I have made my final selection and withdrawn all other applications, including waitlist positions." AMCAS® Choose Your Medical School Tool

Hopefully us WLed people will hear back around then.

Reactions: 3 users
If any of yall hear of anyone getting accepted off of the waitlist already, let us know! I see the facebook group for the class of 2025 is up to 115 members.

If any of yall hear of anyone getting accepted off of the waitlist already, let us know! I see the facebook group for the class of 2025 is up to 115 members.
Does that mean they probably have started accepting people off the waitlist?

What was the number last time you checked for the facebook group?

What was the number last time you checked for the facebook group?
It was at 104 last time I looked which was around 3 weeks ago.
Does that mean they probably have started accepting people off the waitlist?
I'm not sure, I haven't heard of anyone being accepted off the waitlist yet. It could just be people who were already accepted deciding to go to Mercer.

I know this is probably not the worst problem to have, but narrowing to one acceptance completely slipped my mind until just recently. I just sent an email to withdraw my acceptance at 10 pm. If it isn't processed until Monday, will I still be fine with the traffic rules or will there be an issue with AMCAS or my one other acceptance?

I know this is probably not the worst problem to have, but narrowing to one acceptance completely slipped my mind until just recently. I just sent an email to withdraw my acceptance at 10 pm. If it isn't processed until Monday, will I still be fine with the traffic rules or will there be an issue with AMCAS or my one other acceptance?
I think you're ok with traffic rules! As long you did the CTE tool on AMCAS before midnight you should be fine and I think the schools know that you picked one over the other? (I heard this from other resources).

Anyone hear of waitlist movement recently?

Anyone hear of waitlist movement recently?
Haven't heard anything, but based on last years SDN It looked like some movement started around this time. So hopefully we hear some stuff soon!

I received a call this morning for an acceptance off the waitlist for colombus campus!

Reactions: 9 users
I’ve been looking at the Facebook group and the number has gone up to 135 members. So does that mean there are only 15 more spots left?🤕
Keep in mind there's also people who join the Facebook group to get a "feel" for the school and forget to leave. And there's also faculty and current students who guide the new MS1's. So I don't think that's the true number of people for those spots. Keep hopeful you guys!

I do not have a facebook, are there any other means of communicating with the accepted students other than facebook?

Has the “big waitlist movement” already happened?

Has the “big waitlist movement” already happened?
Sadly I'm not sure if that's happening this year ☹️☹️ technically this event would've been yesterday since 1 person was accepted off the WL. Typically the big "WL movement" is defined by the first day post April 30th when someone gets off the WL. As April 30th is when MD applicants have to give preference to 1 school, so a lot of people drop MD offers if they have multiple acceptances. Applicants that would've gotten off Mercer's WL because of April 30th movement would probably get accepted to MUSM on the same day.

Idk that's my speculation. They could make more calls later this week, but I doubt it. If you look back at last years thread, those who got off Mercer's WL because of April 30th movement, all heard back on the same day. Does this make any sense /:

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything else? All crickets over here...

Reactions: 4 users
Nothing, no way they only accepted two people of the waitlist, I guess people just aren’t posting on here

Guys hang in there!! It's only the first week of May. A current MS1 told me there's also waitlist movement around the second week of May and there's still chances later in June and July (judging by the past 2019-2020 thread), but she told me chances are lower later. I don't know what's going on with this cycle with Mercer in particular but I'm praying for all of us. It's tough staying optimistic, but keep your head up and take care of ya'll's mental health! That's important! In the end, we'll all be great doctors whether we get off the waitlist, go somewhere or have an awesome reapplication for next cycle.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew my spot from the waitlist. I know it’s not much, but hopefully it will help the waitlist movement!