2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds to me like UM is highly uncoordinated then!
I don’t think I understand why that makes them uncoordinated? It doesn’t appear as if anyone received a “completed” email. That is not uncommon. A fraction of the secondaries I’ve submitted have sent a “completed” email. There is no obligation for schools to do so and if Miller hasn’t sent them to anyone, that seems consistent and coordinated to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think I understand why that makes them uncoordinated? It doesn’t appear as if anyone received a “completed” email. That is not uncommon. A fraction of the secondaries I’ve submitted have sent a “completed” email. There is no obligation for schools to do so and if Miller hasn’t sent them to anyone, that seems consistent and coordinated to me.

They sent me one, so at the very least that’s not consistent. On top of that, many reapplicants received emails with a status link that sent them to their previous applications rather than this years. Seems a little uncoordinated to me.

Miami has been unresponsive to questions trying to clarifying their prerequisites as well. More so than any other school I have dealt with. Not impressed!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me one, so at the very least that’s not consistent. On top of that, many reapplicants received emails with a status link that sent them to their previous applications rather than this years. Seems a little uncoordinated to me.
Hmmm. Yeah that’s strange if they’re sending them to some and not others.

If not getting a complete email has you pressed you will have to take blood pressure medication if you go here; certain faculty/adcoms are on Miami time.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread always seems to provide some interesting opinions to read lmao

Reactions: 10 users
If not getting a complete email has you pressed you will have to take blood pressure medication if you go here; certain faculty/adcoms are on Miami time.
ARB, ACE Inhibitor, and beta blocker stacks available on the SDN webstore, now! Don’t forget to use promo code MIAMIMILLER for a deal you just can’t beat!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
For MD/MPH secondary, is this question optional? "Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program?"
It doesn't explicitly say it's optional, so what has everyone else been putting for it?

For the following question "[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.
OR
[OPTIONAL]
Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
" can we only choose one prompt? I had pre-written answers for both of these already :-(

Also, does anyone know if MD and MD/MPH applications are looked at separately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming from another part of south Florida- where do students typically live? I read Miami’s website about apartments but wondering where most younger people hangout.

Coming from another part of south Florida- where do students typically live? I read Miami’s website about apartments but wondering where most younger people hangout.

Most younger people live in Brickell, the Downtown area, or Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. I currently work at Miller but live about 20 miles away in Kendall. The commute isn’t so bad right now (30-35 mins), but pre-COVID it would take me just over an hour to get to and from campus. Brickell, Downtown, and Gables have much easier access to the metro which stops very close to campus.

10. Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

how are you guys answering this? can we talk about our most meaningful from the primary or...?

I talked about one of my most meaningful. This is just my thought.. but from how specific the secondary questions are (ie asking us to list out all of our activities: clinical, shadowing, service, jobs) I'm wondering if they even pay much attention to our primary.

I talked about one of my most meaningful. This is just my thought.. but from how specific the secondary questions are (ie asking us to list out all of our activities: clinical, shadowing, service, jobs) I'm wondering if they even pay much attention to our primary.
I kinda got the vibe that they just read secondaries and personal statements

What counts as a behavioral science course? Does Linguistics, History, Government, and Music count?

Also, I went to a lower-ranked university before transferring to a higher-ranked university. I completed most of my prerequisites at the lower-ranked university but took most of my courses at the higher-ranked university including a lot of upper-division science coursework. I am even getting two degrees from the higher-ranked university. Will this look bad?

Those are humanities. Behavioral sciences are psychology and sociology.
Would it be ok to list these courses as the app says "Behavioral Sciences include courses in the: Humanities, Bioethics, Psychology, Sociology"?

Would it be ok to list these courses as the app says "Behavioral Sciences include courses in the: Humanities, Bioethics, Psychology, Sociology"?
Trust the school not some guy on sdn

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Also, I went to a lower-ranked university before transferring to a higher-ranked university. I completed most of my prerequisites at the lower-ranked university but took most of my courses at the higher-ranked university including a lot of upper-division science coursework. I am even getting two degrees from the higher-ranked university. Will this look bad?
Also no it doesn’t matter, just your degree institution I would say

is anyone including volunteering, research, etc. in their secondary that they didn't include on their primary app?

is anyone including volunteering, research, etc. in their secondary that they didn't include on their primary app?
I started a new research job after I submitted my primary, so I included that.

I started a new research job after I submitted my primary, so I included that.

+1. based on the questions in the secondary, I get the sense they don’t check your activities in the primary, so if you’re trying to talk about different experiences for the sake of not repeating what is in your 1*, I don’t think that’s going to be a huge issue if you repeat

Do intramural sports count as a student org?
I wouldn't say student org, but more like a sport you participate or follow. The actual org for which you play IM could be a student org

The question about correcting systemic racism was a curve ball. Luckily I had an answer because I attended the University of Missouri during it's racial unrest in 2015 with Michael Brown and the UM system president. However, the nature of the question didn't seem to have any wiggle room. I also kind of fudged the COVID question because my ass stayed at home the whole time :shrug:

Otherwise I think I answered all the questions adequately.

For the prerequisites do we only list the minimum number of courses or can we list more?

Is anyone else's app taking forever to give the green checks on the LORs? I submitted and sent letters 8/10 and it still says they haven't been received

Reactions: 2 users
Soooo, did you guys just copy and paste from your primary for some of the activities descriptions??

Last edited:
Just some advice from the secondaries I’ve read: If it says -briefly- describe your research/volunteering/etc, please please don’t write a novel.

Miami has a tediously long secondary prompt as is not just for the writer, but the adcom that is reviewing dozens of them as well. There is a human factor to this and writing blocks of text that can otherwise be condensed will potentially elicit some eyerolls or sighs; especially if the instructions say to keep it concise.

Just some advice from the secondaries I’ve read: If it says -briefly- describe your research/volunteering/etc, please please don’t write a novel.

Miami has a tediously long secondary prompt as is not just for the writer, but the adcom that is reviewing dozens of them as well. There is a human factor to this and writing blocks of text that can otherwise be condensed will potentially elicit some eyerolls or sighs; especially if the instructions say to keep it concise.
Then the school should not state 500 word limits. Some applicants have a lot of areas they can cover and they will. If the school doesn't want to read it all, they shouldn't ask for it (limit to 200 words). Let me count the ways I find U. of Miami the most frustrating school so far in this process...

Then the school should not state 500 word limits. Some applicants have a lot of areas they can cover and they will. If the school doesn't want to read it all, they shouldn't ask for it (limit to 200 words). Let me count the ways I find U. of Miami the most frustrating school so far in this process...

Just because they give you an entire piece of paper on an exam to complete short sentence prompts doesn't mean I would recommend using the entire page.

Some applicants need the max word count to briefly discuss their -various- projects. I can't recommend writing blocks of text to write about a -single-experience if the question asks -briefly-.

If you are this frustrated pre-secondary submittal I would strongly recommend applying to a program that doesn't invoke these strong feelings pre-maturely.

Reactions: 8 users