2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3/10 Interview here, still havent heard a thing. barely keeping it together lol . updates on this page have been helpful. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
out of curiosity, do you have any other offers? I was rejected as well
Yes, I was fortunate enough to receive two acceptances already, one to my state school and one out of state school. I turned down the OOS school because it would have significantly added more debt to me. I'm fortunate that I have a school to matriculate into, but it would have been nice to have had more options if Minnesota had accepted me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was fortunate enough to receive two acceptances already, one to my state school and one out of state school. I turned down the OOS school because it would have significantly added more debt to me. I'm fortunate that I have a school to matriculate into, but it would have been nice to have had more options if Minnesota had accepted me.
It might just be me, but I have this theory that they are rejecting people who already have an A bc they know they won't be able to give people on the waitlist spots before the CTE date... It would be pointless to put us on a waitlist if we can't get off of it. I think schools are able to see if you have already PTE somewhere.

• Wow
It might just be me, but I have this theory that they are rejecting people who already have an A bc they know they won't be able to give people on the waitlist spots before the CTE date... It would be pointless to put us on a waitlist if we can't get off of it. I think schools are able to see if you have already PTE somewhere.
That is an interesting theory. It is my understanding that if you PTE, schools can only see that you have been accepted somewhere. They cannot see specifically which school you got into. So, this is a plausibility. With all of this being stated, U of M still had a few spots to give away for an acceptance, while the majority would go on the waitlist. Do I think that U of M would reject people before the CTE date? Honestly, based off their transparency with things....I don't think that they would do that. If they were that concerned about the CTE date and not being able to pull people off, they probably could have just emailed all the applicants with acceptances and inform us of their thoughts on that situation. What's the point in dragging us along for months without an answer just to reject people on the sole premise of the CTE date issue? I'm OOS so maybe they were just screen protecting me out of the assumption that I wouldn't go to Minnesota or give them a fair consideration. Who knows...

I don't know. Who knows what they're thinking in the admissions committee... I honestly thought I did well during the interview but hey, who knows. Sometimes, it's a crapshoot. Regardless, it's an interesting theory.

That is an interesting theory. It is my understanding that if you PTE, schools can only see that you have been accepted somewhere. They cannot see specifically which school you got into. So, this is a plausibility. With all of this being stated, U of M still had a few spots to give away for an acceptance, while the majority would go on the waitlist. Do I think that U of M would reject people before the CTE date? Honestly, based off their transparency with things....I don't think that they would do that. If they were that concerned about the CTE date and not being able to pull people off, they probably could have just emailed all the applicants with acceptances and inform us of their thoughts on that situation. What's the point in dragging us along for months without an answer just to reject people on the sole premise of the CTE date issue? I'm OOS so maybe they were just screen protecting me out of the assumption that I wouldn't go to Minnesota or give them a fair consideration. Who knows...

I don't know. Who knows what they're thinking in the admissions committee... I honestly thought I did well during the interview but hey, who knows. Sometimes, it's a crapshoot. Regardless, it's an interesting theory.
I think they anticipated more people spots would open after April 30th, but again just a theory. Doesn't really change anything but just a thought I had.

Has everyone heard their initial decision (A, R, W) or are people still waiting to know if they are waitlisted?

edit: I mean are we all waitlisted or are people still waiting for their first decision 🤪 (not necessarily W) the coffee isn’t working this morning

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has everyone heard their initial decision (A, R, W) or are people still waiting to know if they are waitlisted?

edit: I mean are we all waitlisted or are people still waiting for their first decision 🤪 (not necessarily W) the coffee isn’t working this morning
March 4th interview here, still waiting on my first decision. 🙏

• Care

Still waiting for first decision. Interviewed 3/23.

I am taking it as a R or W.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the post waitlist R. I already committed to another school so I'm not sure if that was a factor but hopefully many of you will be hearing back soon.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
No news yet😩 congrats to everyone with acceptances🥳🥳 everyone else, hang in there🤞🏼💙

• Care
Just heard back, I made it to the ranked alternate list! I am #4.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Also, make it to the ranked alternate list. I'm in the mid 40s. For previous year, anyone knows how many people get moved from the alternate list?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Where on the alternative list do you have to be to have a decent chance at getting in?

ranked alternate in the low 80s. congrats to everyone who’s made it this far!! see y’all on the other side when we’re all docs ✌️

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to those who received an acceptance today! 🤗 I am ranked in the 60s, but remains hopeful. ✌🏻💓😊

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Those that ranked above 50, did you submit an mcat score with your app?

Good question here. any insights anyone? This is unprecedented year for sure, I know!
So someone posted here months ago what the typical range is based on what admissions communicated to them. Im digging through past posts to find it.....

i just called the hotline and it said that the original number 2 is now number one, so is that right that i shifted to number one just in a few hours?

• Love
i just called the hotline and it said that the original number 2 is now number one, so is that right that i shifted to number one just in a few hours?
Glad you got moved up to number 1. How did you call the hotline? What's the number? Thank you. :)

Alternate list movement has been anywhere from 30-70 in previous years. Obviously this year is very weird. Hoping the best for all of you!!!

Glad you got moved up to number 1. How did you call the hotline? What's the number? Thank you. :)
thanks y’all! the phone number was listed in the ranked alternate email. it’s a normal phone number with a recording that plays automatically. pm me for details.

thanks y’all! the phone number was listed in the ranked alternate email. it’s a normal phone number with a recording that plays automatically. pm me for details.
Thank you. I was a poor reader. haha:rofl:

This might be a dumb question, but if the original #2 moves to #1 does everyone else move up? Lol, I’m not sure how this works.

Alternate list movement has been anywhere from 30-70 in previous years. Obviously this year is very weird. Hoping the best for all of you!!!
Do you know how many people are on the ranked alternate list? Like how long is it?

This might be a dumb question, but if the original #2 moves to #1 does everyone else move up? Lol, I’m not sure how this works.
Not a dumb question at all. Yes, I believe the rest of the list moves up as well. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Those that ranked above 50, did you submit an mcat score with your app?
Cuz didn’t someone say they ended up not requiring all applicants to submit an mcat score this year even for the after interview final committee review? Like if you hadn’t taken the mcat then they reviewed your app without the score and if you had taken the mcat before then they included your score in the final committee review?

I noticed quite a few of the applicants that ranked below 50 on the alternative list on the student blog here seemed to of applied to only U of MN so I’m guessing may not of submitted an mcat score? Any feedback would be great just trying to figure out how they approached the scoring and ranking process.

Cuz didn’t someone say they ended up not requiring all applicants to submit an mcat score this year even for the after interview final committee review? Like if you hadn’t taken the mcat then they reviewed your app without the score and if you had taken the mcat before then they included your score in the final committee review?

I noticed quite a few of the applicants that ranked below 50 on the alternative list on the student blog here seemed to of applied to only U of MN so I’m guessing may not of submitted an mcat score? Any feedback would be great just trying to figure out how they approached the scoring and ranking process.
Ranked mid 40s here. Applied without an MCAT score.

Applied with an incredibly low MCAT score (lower than anything I’ve seen mentioned) and I’m #12. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 8 users

I applied without an MCAT score and was admitted

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Ranked in the 80s with an MCAT above the 90th percentile. Not everything is about paper numbers, so don’t let them define who you are! Best of luck to everyone!

• Care
Just a heads up, while the hotline is an amazing way of checking where things are at in general, it is not perfect, especially if there is a lot of movement!! Last year I think they only updated it once or twice a week. I think I called the hotline the day before I got my acceptance call and I was still ~10 spots down the list.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users