2020-2021 Minnesota, Twin Cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Members don't see this ad.

SJT registration opens today! Don’t forget to register!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive secondary?
Not yet, but I believe UMN sends them out a bit later than other schools. Usually there is a pre-screen to get a supplemental, but I know that they will be sending them out without MCAT scores due to COVID this cycle. The anticipation is killing me too, dont worry :) UMN is my top choice! Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT optional for both MD and MD/PhD this cycle. Traditional minimum of 499 MCAT for Twin Cities is also waived.
8A262BFD-16A6-4B4D-BBD0-0AAB7AB08E5F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Stanford is also doing this...

good lord, there goes the quality of med schools for this year

i get that some people legit cannot but they need to be taken on a case by case basis, not just waived for everyone

i get that some people legit cannot but they need to be taken on a case by case basis, not just waived for everyone

I mean, it’s not waived for everyone. It just doesn’t play a role until the final decision phase. I’m sure high scores will still be weighed heavily.

There are also many ways to determine the quality of an applicant beyond just the MCAT, not sure why you think the quality of schools will decrease.

Reactions: 8 users

I think its quite amazing that UMN is one of 2 schools right now to make the MCAT optional— it shows how truly great they are as a leader in the nation. Also, I think it is completely fair. If you think you can get in just because of a high MCAT score, that probably wont happen. The review process is holistic. This allows applicants who have been affected by COVID with MCAT, etc to still apply to med school without additional stressors from having exam dates cancelled, rescheduled, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Just received an email that my application was received but there was no mention / link to the secondary. Anyone else get this? Should we expect another email later with the secondary itself? OOS MSTP applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
do you know whether it's best to apply to "both" campuses or just choose 1? can't find much online...
It depends on your interests and priorities. I remember there being a lot of information on their website about the different missions of the two campuses - the Duluth campus has a strong focus on rural medicine and serving Native American communities.

Just received an email that my application was received but there was no mention / link to the secondary. Anyone else get this? Should we expect another email later with the secondary itself? OOS MSTP applicant

UMN usually sends out a campus selection email to choose either duluth or TC, but since you are a MSTP applicant, i think you can only be considered at TC. They usually send out secondaries about 1-2 weeks after the campus selection email.

It depends on your interests and priorities. I remember there being a lot of information on their website about the different missions of the two campuses - the Duluth campus has a strong focus on rural medicine and serving Native American communities.
This is exactly it. In fact, Duluth considers dedication to serving rural or Native American populations an essential quality for successful applicants.

From the website:
ACD94B9A-1AFF-4DFA-ADE5-375FD9F1A354.jpeg

Anyone else having technical challenges with the link? After setting a password, I can't log in. When I try resetting the password, it says it can't send the link.

Anyone else having technical challenges with the link? After setting a password, I can't log in. When I try resetting the password, it says it can't send the link.

just got an email from then saying there was an error (although it allowed me to select campuses yesterday just fine). Tried again this morning and its all good!

Could you post prompts please?
There are 9 total prompts, 4 are optional. 1500 characters each (except the "additional pertinent info" one is 900 characters)

Tell us about a time when you recovered from a non-academic setback. How did you identify the setback and what steps did you take to recover?

Tell us about a time when you played a role in improving a process. How did you identify the areas for improvement and what steps did you take to change the process?

Tell us about a time when you observed, personally experienced, or acted with implicit or explicit bias. If you observed or personally experienced implicit or explicit bias what did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? If you were implicitly or explicitly biased how did you become aware of this and what did you do to address the situation or what will you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned.

Please tell us about your identity. How has your identity impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different from your own? Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine.

Why do you want to go to medical school in the state of MN? (This question seeks to understand why you are interested in the state of MN not the University of Minnesota.)

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? This is an opportunity for you to discuss an aspect of your journey to medicine that you have not already presented in your application. You may also update us with any current experiences that were not included in your AMCAS application. (900 char.) OPTIONAL

If you are not submitting an MCAT score with your application briefly explain why. This question is required of any applicant who will ultimately not include an MCAT score in their application. OPTIONAL

2020 has proven to be unprecedented times and uncharted territory in global health. Please feel free to share with us your thoughts and experiences with navigating Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). This could include the barriers you have faced in applying to medical school this cycle, feelings of complicated grief and loss, thoughts on the role of health care professionals, challenges associated with racial health inequities as more Black and Brown people are disproportionately impacted, or other reflections on living through a global pandemic crisis. OPTIONAL

Right now is a watershed moment in American history and this country's reckoning with race, racism, racial injustice, and especially anti-Black hatred. If you feel comfortable, we welcome you to please share with us your reflections on, experiences with, and greatest lessons learned about systemic racism that is receiving international attention with the murders of numerous Black, Indigenous, and People of Color including but not limited to George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Vanessa Guillen, Rayshard Brooks, and Elijah McClain. OPTIONAL

Reactions: 6 users
Secondary received around 8 AM this morning. OOS MSTP applicant

I took the MCAT in 2019 so I did have one. Idk if that matters tho because they have made it completely optional??

it's not exactly completely optional, they ARE going to use it to evaluate you if you have one

they just won't use it to determine who gets an interview invite, they'll weigh in GPA more and ECs

say someone with no score, a 502, and a 515 are competing for a spot off the waitlist in May after everyone picks 1 school, they're gonna pick the person with a 515 because they "show more promise of doing well in med school" (not that the no score has no chance, 515 is just a good score so they'll go for them)

" " not always the case but generally

it's not exactly completely optional, they ARE going to use it to evaluate you if you have one

they just won't use it to determine who gets an interview invite, they'll weigh in GPA more and ECs

say someone with no score, a 502, and a 515 are competing for a spot off the waitlist in May after everyone picks 1 school, they're gonna pick the person with a 515 because they "show more promise of doing well in med school" (not that the no score has no chance, 515 is just a good score so they'll go for them)

" " not always the case but generally

yeah that’s generally the case with 510+ scores

Could you please post the prompts?

Sure! This secondary was super quick and painless. I answered in bullet points mostly because the character limits are so short and they state explicitly that you don't need to write in essay form! See below:

Our supplemental application is short and consists of four questions. There are strict character limits (200 - 500 characters). Your responses can be brief, and do not have to be in essay form.

Please list University of Minnesota faculty members (maximum of 12) you would be interested in potentially working with for your PhD studies in our program. A list of names is sufficient, and they do not need to be in any rank order.

What area(s) of research are you interested in pursuing during your PhD training? (200 char)

What factors influenced your decision to apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP? (300 char)

Briefly describe any impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on your preparation for MD-PhD training. (500 char)

Sure! This secondary was super quick and painless. I answered in bullet points mostly because the character limits are so short and they state explicitly that you don't need to write in essay form! See below:

Our supplemental application is short and consists of four questions. There are strict character limits (200 - 500 characters). Your responses can be brief, and do not have to be in essay form.

Please list University of Minnesota faculty members (maximum of 12) you would be interested in potentially working with for your PhD studies in our program. A list of names is sufficient, and they do not need to be in any rank order.

What area(s) of research are you interested in pursuing during your PhD training? (200 char)

What factors influenced your decision to apply to the University of Minnesota MSTP? (300 char)

Briefly describe any impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on your preparation for MD-PhD training. (500 char)
Thank you :)

Secondary received around 8 AM this morning. OOS MSTP applicant
Another question... did it take a while to receive your secodnary after receiving your first email saying they recieved your app? I received another email about receiving my LORs but no secondary yet. so just curious. Thanks in advance

How did yall OOS approach the why MN prompt? Seems like it has evolved over the years from Why UMN to Why Minnesota?

Reactions: 2 users
Any other OOS MSTP applicants that haven't received the secondary yet? I got the e-mail last week that they received my app, but haven't gotten anything since.

Any other OOS MSTP applicants that haven't received the secondary yet? I got the e-mail last week that they received my app, but haven't gotten anything since.
Yeah same! I emailed them this morning and they said it is normal and I will get one soon.

Hey quick question about the humanities/social science writing prerequisite course. So I do not have a designated course that is writing intensive on my transcript, but I was wondering if a Spanish course about Spanish culture that had a 10+ page double spaced final essay and eleven 3.5 page double spaced essays throughout would fulfill this requirement. I have emailed the admissions department, but I was wondering if anyone here has any insight! I am just unsure because I do not know if foreign language counts or if they mean 10 page single or double spaced...aghh! Thank you!

How do we indicate that we are submitting an MCAT score? Is it just default that if we have our MCAT score on our primary app then they will receive it? I just did not see anywhere specific on the secondary that asked if you were submitting it or not (only the text that says explain why you are not but this still is not asking if you are submitting one or not).

anyone else struggling with the why Minnesota?
I think it was a particularly difficult question tbh because you can't even attempt to bs something. I took mine a much more personal approach because I am from the Midwest and the Twin Cities were the closest populated area to me and what visiting there meant to me as a child from a small town. I think they would prefer something genuine and not so cold and calculated because it is a why MN and not why this school. I could be completely wrong and I am sure there is multiple other routes for writing it.

Submitted MSTP! Stoked about this school.

If any OOS applicants could use additional insight about MN from an in-stater, feel free to DM with any questions :)